Loading Ready City anybody? (Simcity)

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
zfubarz

Loading Ready City anybody? (Simcity)

Postby zfubarz » 01 Mar 2013, 01:22

So the new Simcity is coming out next week, anybody else plan on getting it?
While I dislike EA and Origin a good deal, I Love Maxis in almost everything they do.

I tried a couple of the beta periods and they where pretty damn fun and the changes seemed pretty smart and sleek. If anybody feels like setting up a LRR region so we can pollute the hell out of each other let me know, Origin name is the same as here.

Here's some beta footage, episodes 10-13 really show off jsut what you can do.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... -5-fLDasok

Edit: Join us at Loading Ready Region on US East 1
Last edited by zfubarz on 16 Mar 2013, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Re: Loading Ready City anybody? (Simcity)

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 01 Mar 2013, 03:14

I love Sim City, but I hate Origins...That and I'm not sure if I agree with an always online function. If it's like Assassins' creed where the game doesn't stop, but just doesn't let you save until you're online again, I might be able to cope with that. But if it boots you off until your online again, then sorry, no gusta.

And that's not because I dilike the premise of always online, it's just that my internet can be really bad at times. It can cut out and there is nothing I can do except wait for it to come back. That, and at times I can get speeds as slow as 8kbps. (Yes, kilobites per second).

BUT, if they do make either a non- Origin version, or make Origin better, then I might conisder getting it in the future.

Since I LOVE SimCity, I still play SimCity 4 now and again, but there is just too much I dislike about what you need to play SimCity.

So to answer your question, I'd be really interested if what I said above about Origins changes.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 01 Mar 2013, 10:36

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:That, and at times I can get speeds as slow as 8kbps. (Yes, kilobites per second).
Is that kilobytes or kilobits? Either way it's a typo.

I'm going to presume from context that it's kilobits. You should have a serious chat with your ISP.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 01 Mar 2013, 14:13

I believe it just won't save till you reconnect. Can't be certain though. Even if it is the good way i can see that making the region play aspect pretty much useless. I have pretty much the best internet available in Canada, hooray for ditching big providers.
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 01 Mar 2013, 17:12

Dominic Appleguard wrote:
Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:That, and at times I can get speeds as slow as 8kbps. (Yes, kilobites per second).
Is that kilobytes or kilobits? Either way it's a typo.

I'm going to presume from context that it's kilobits. You should have a serious chat with your ISP.

Uhhh, I'm not sure, so I'm just going to stick with the layman's term of "Very slow".

Although I should stress that this isn't ALL the time, just occasional, and then it only lasts less than an hour.

And to be honest, there isn't a huge amount my ISP can do since I live in a quite rural area which I'm sure doesn't have fibre-optic. In other words, I think the problem is more infrastructural than them being awful. But then again, they are Sky, so lets not rule that out.

zfubarz wrote:I believe it just won't save till you reconnect. Can't be certain though. Even if it is the good way i can see that making the region play aspect pretty much useless. I have pretty much the best internet available in Canada, hooray for ditching big providers.

If it is that it won't save until it reconnects, than that's better than not letting you play at all. But I still don't know why they don't let you play offline.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 03 Mar 2013, 22:10

I want to get this, but I think I'm probably gonna wait a week or two for reviews and impressions of the service. I don't think any of it is really gonna bother me. I don't begrudge EA trying to stave off pirating and trying to make their Origin service more prominent. The only PC game I really play nowadays apart of random indie stuff is Diablo 3, and I've had no problem with how that's set up.

I'm not sure if I want to really bother much with the multiplayer features but we'll see. I prefer being a solitary player unless multiplayer is a big part of a game.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 03 Mar 2013, 22:40

Well multiplayer will be ingrained in the gameplay a lot much like in diablo with the marketplace stuff, if lots of people are mining coal say, prices will plumet for towns buying it etc.

That of course is aside from the region play and such.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 06 Mar 2013, 11:40

I'm with Genghis on this one regarding the reviews, but I also need to upgrade my old Intel processor first. All of these simulation games are processor hogs when you get past the beginning stages. Once the cities get sprawling enough I can't imagine what would happen to my poor little Q6600. Probably melt into a little silicon puddle on my motherboard.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 06 Mar 2013, 13:38

As I understand it, this one actually simulates every individual sim to an extent... Even more resources.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 06 Mar 2013, 14:09

I have it. I'm aeric90 on their too if someone wants to send me an invite. Dunno if I like it though.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 07 Mar 2013, 08:25

Maybe when it inevitably turns into a Free2Play game supported by micro-transactions.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 07 Mar 2013, 13:40

Ok, I went ahead and got it. I watched a bunch of let's plays and stuff, and I'm just too excited to wait for it. Hopefully I'll actually get to play what with the issues going on right now.

Origin is GenghisAres

EDIT: I actually got to play for several hours. Commuting and other Neighbor stuff doesn't seem to be working, but I built a pretty decent city.

Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 08 Mar 2013, 03:08

[Story]

Apparently Amazon had stopped selling SimCity for a while and now has a warning label on buying it.

What's the problem? Server load.

For an always online game...that isn't good. : /

EDIT: Well I've been on the Amazon page and I can't see this warning and I can still buy it...so huh...

But anyways, the point is the launch doesn't to have seemed to have gone fantastically smoothly. And I'm not going to get into any "lulz EA" but it would be interesting to see what they do in terms of trying to reduce server load.

GlarbC
First Video: Some Unscippable years ago :<

Postby GlarbC » 08 Mar 2013, 04:40

My copy is being delivered today, so here's to hoping the European servers won't crap out on us.
From what I've seen on Twitch the game is fun to play if you can get in.

So maybe we can further this LRR region plan, in which case we can all actually benefit from the forced in multiplayer?

[EDIT] Oh wait, the LRR region won't be on European servers of course... Well there goes my ping :<
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 08 Mar 2013, 19:58

A lot of the region stuff is disabled right now. So we'll probably have to wait a until everything is running smoothly before starting a multiplayer region.
empath

Postby empath » 09 Mar 2013, 06:34

Yep; let that 'Gamma Testing' phase complete, and then it'll probably be quite fun.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 09 Mar 2013, 18:59

Yeah, the game is fun as hell when it works, but I say we try and give it another few days to a week to start a region up.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 09 Mar 2013, 21:54

My region started communicating finally. I got a $50k gift I sent on Thursday and all the utility coverage and government departments started unlocking properly. Hopefully we'll get Cheetah Speed and every running smoothly sometime next week.

I tried to remodel my two cities to work off each other, but I think I screwed it up. I'm trying to get my 170k populated, non-industrial city to send workers over to my industry only mining city, but I've only gotten a max of 100 workers commuting. And that's with a passenger train and a bus terminal(with correct bus stops) set up between them. Maybe it needs more time.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 09 Mar 2013, 23:52

Yeah lots of the region stuff is still screwy, I have no control over finances because my buddies department got earthquaked a couple days ago and despite fixing the the server thinks he didn't.

I also had to turn off my bus system because it was causing traffic to back up solid through the two cities (highway runs through the middle of both) and it took like 2 days for them to stop running.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 10 Mar 2013, 16:01

Yeah, I started a new region with a friend to try out some stuff and I can't sell power do other neighbor region stuff. It sucks when you're trying to make several cities that exclusively work off each other for certain function. I really just want to be a high-industry city where all the worker comes from another city and shop/gamble in another. But right now, we have to pretty much make complete cities and maybe when things become normal we can butcher them to how we want it to be.
empath

Postby empath » 11 Mar 2013, 03:20

Okay, this...I...oh, hell:

"This was a responsible decision by our Marketing team to pause the advertising while we work through these issues. It will resume shortly." - Maxis general manager Lucy Bradshaw, regarding the announcement that EA is suspending SimCity marketing campaigns and asking Linkshare affiliates to 'stop actively promoting' the game.

:shock: Well, that makes the FIRST 'responsible decision by [your] Marketing team' regarding this game...
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 11 Mar 2013, 09:29

it's still front and centre on the origin store page though
Lysander
First Video: Daily Drop: Eggs

Postby Lysander » 11 Mar 2013, 18:05

Can you summon disasters while in the public games, and can those disasters migrate to other players' cities?
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 11 Mar 2013, 23:15

Yes, you can summon disasters and No, they don't travel to other cities.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 11 Mar 2013, 23:38

I suppose they do impact though, pollution travels, if it destroys your power plant/water/etc. and you're supplying a neightbour that could cause some problems.

Return to “Video Games”