Dragon's Maze Previews

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Re: Dragon's Maze Previews

Postby Utilitarian » 15 Apr 2013, 11:41

Yea I can definitely see why this is Mythic. I too wouldn't be surprised if they designed it as a top down "anti-supreme verdict" card. The passive effect on it is nothing to sneeze at either.

*edit* Also, thoughts on the Double Strike hydra? BFF with Vorel of the Hull Clade?
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 15 Apr 2013, 11:50

yeah the hydra is good with Vorel but dont those 2 cards together essentially just give you a primordial hydra with double strike. its a good limited card for sure but not sure about it beyond that
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 15 Apr 2013, 11:55

ArchieO wrote:
Umm that can't happen, first you can't counter supreme verdict, second the dudes come in at the beginning of the next combat step so you can't force them to pop it and then swing in for the win

You're right, my mistake. I misread the card.

Lemegeton wrote:yeah the hydra is good with Vorel but dont those 2 cards together essentially just give you a primordial hydra with double strike. its a good limited card for sure but not sure about it beyond that

A 'Primodrial Hyrda with Double Strike' is pretty great if you ask me. Double strike itself is a very powerful ability, and it gets huge on a creature who can become a giant. Even without Vorel, he's a good mana-dump and a pretty good card that allows you to play him whenever you need. I'm a bit fan.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 15 Apr 2013, 12:13

Though the Sorcery Speed on his pumping ability is inconvenient. Can't use it for threat of activation or EOT enemy turns
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 15 Apr 2013, 12:35

Kapol wrote:
ArchieO wrote:

A 'Primodrial Hyrda with Double Strike' is pretty great if you ask me. Double strike itself is a very powerful ability, and it gets huge on a creature who can become a giant. Even without Vorel, he's a good mana-dump and a pretty good card that allows you to play him whenever you need. I'm a bit fan.

oh yeah a double strike primordial hydra is awesome but much like the hydra this guy will be hit with removal as soon as he comes out and there is just so much removal in standard i dont know how playable he is outside limited. if we get more cards that let you do cool stuff with +1+1 counters like bioshift then that will change
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 15 Apr 2013, 12:47

Lemegeton wrote:
oh yeah a double strike primordial hydra is awesome but much like the hydra this guy will be hit with removal as soon as he comes out and there is just so much removal in standard i dont know how playable he is outside limited. if we get more cards that let you do cool stuff with +1+1 counters like bioshift then that will change

You could say that about any creature though, besides those with hexproof (and even they have answers for that). Not playing something because of removal is foolish in my opinion. That's like saying that Olivia isn't playable since someone can just Searing Spear or Mortars her, or Boros Reckoner isn't playable because someone can just play Murder.

Honestly, if you play him early, then you're losing a relatively low-cost creature. Play him later, and he was still likely the best play to make. If he dies, there's not much you can do about it. It just means your other creatures, like Reckoner, will stay alive longer.
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 15 Apr 2013, 13:55

Kapol wrote:
Lemegeton wrote:

You could say that about any creature though, besides those with hexproof (and even they have answers for that). Not playing something because of removal is foolish in my opinion. That's like saying that Olivia isn't playable since someone can just Searing Spear or Mortars her, or Boros Reckoner isn't playable because someone can just play Murder.

Honestly, if you play him early, then you're losing a relatively low-cost creature. Play him later, and he was still likely the best play to make. If he dies, there's not much you can do about it. It just means your other creatures, like Reckoner, will stay alive longer.

personally I would play him in a deck but i prefer creature decks. i just mean in general ppl find creatures like this unplayable. the likes of the reckoner and olivia have other threats beyond just being a big creature. i find ppl avoid playing guys like this cos hes just a really big creature and has no secondary use.
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 16 Apr 2013, 00:49

hmmm this guy is weird

how exactly do you pick a random card from the grave when you can see them all. do you just roll a life counter and choose based on position??
its good for a self mill deck but 6 mana and then you might not even get a good card back on the next turn seems kinda bad.
but then build a deck with a lot of scavenge cards or combo with blanka and it could be good.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 16 Apr 2013, 01:09

Luckily there's this rule:

3.13 Graveyard Order
In formats involving only cards from Urza’s Saga™ and later, players may change the order of their graveyard at any time. A player may not change the order of an opponent’s graveyard.

Which means you can actually shuffle the cards in your graveyard and have an opponent pull one at random. That way you get a random one.
In older formats you would probably have to roll a die or something.
For really large graveyards.... I dunno calculator?
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Apr 2013, 01:55

Lemegeton wrote:hmmm this guy is weird

how exactly do you pick a random card from the grave when you can see them all. do you just roll a life counter and choose based on position??
its good for a self mill deck but 6 mana and then you might not even get a good card back on the next turn seems kinda bad.
but then build a deck with a lot of scavenge cards or combo with blanka and it could be good.

Basically, the same way you choose a random permanent on the field or a random card in your hand. Roll a dice, shuffle them and let your opponent choose one, etc. However you and your opponent want to do it. I'm not sure that there's any 'official' way to do it though.

It's actually pretty good in my opinion. Play it with, say, Deathrite Shaman where you can control your graveyard, and it gets so you can choose what's brought back to a degree. The fact it automatically mills you isn't the most important part, since with it you should be able to keep stuff in your graveyard. Just be careful not to mill yourself out.
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 16 Apr 2013, 02:25

yeah there are cards that it can work great with but after playing the self mill graveyard deck for the past year since i started magic i really dont like the mill philosophy anymore. for me i am just finding this kind of thing 'too' situational and the random and inefficient nature of these decks to be a killer more than they actually work like they are designed too. sure you can try and help this card with a shaman but there are still no guarantees the card you draw on your upkeep will be relevant to the current board situation. i just find the self-mill being a bit too reliant on luck to be competitive.

or maybe i just suck at this game which is entirely possible :o
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 16 Apr 2013, 03:41

I think with Dmir mill out there, and how late on the curve this comes, this is just too much risk. Not to mention what happens to you if your opponent has flicker.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Apr 2013, 07:52

madAlric wrote:Image
Question about this guy: Is his ability a replacement of any existing Scavenge costs, or does it simply add an additional option to any existing Scavenge costs? For cards with lower casting costs than Scavenge costs, like Korozda Monitor, that doesn't matter, usually, but for cards like Slitherhead, it does. If it's a replacement, it makes the second group of cards worse.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Rootbreaker
First Video: Checkpoint 1

Postby Rootbreaker » 16 Apr 2013, 08:32

It's an additional scavenge ability. A slitherhead will have scavenge for 0 and scavenge for B or G.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 16 Apr 2013, 10:46

I'd imagine that it works the same way that Snapcaster effects cards that already have flashback, it just adds a second flashback/scavenge cost, such that the player can choose which cost she wants to play.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Apr 2013, 12:53

Notion Thief, AKA the real 'FUCK YOU SPHINX'S REVELATION' card.
Drecon

Postby Drecon » 16 Apr 2013, 13:13

Wow, we really need that card. Hope it's going to be a fringe card, so that people like us can actually afford it... Most recent answer cards have become powerhouses themselves.
Drecon

Postby Drecon » 16 Apr 2013, 13:23

Sorry for the double-post but I just noticed Possibility Storm:
Enchantment Rare
Whenever a player casts a spell from his or her hand, that player exiles it, then exiles cards from the top of his or her library until he or she exiles a card that shares a card type with it. That player may cast that card without paying its mana cost. Then he or she puts all cards exiled with Possibility Storm on the bottom of his or her library in a random order.

I really want to break this card. My inner Johnny hasn't seen such a feast since Mind's Desire was first revealed :)
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 16 Apr 2013, 13:28

Kapol wrote:Notion Thief, AKA the real 'FUCK YOU SPHINX'S REVELATION' card.

Yep, and it completely owns a card like Brainstorm too. "Nah, I'll draw those 3 cards and you will draw none but you can go ahead and still put 2 cards on top of your library"

And for the visual...

Drecon

Postby Drecon » 16 Apr 2013, 13:34

I'll see your Brainstorm and raise you a Griselbrand
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 16 Apr 2013, 13:54

Drecon wrote:I'll see your Brainstorm and raise you a Griselbrand

I don't know, paying 7 life to have your opponent draw 7 cards seems like a sweet deal to me :lol:
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 16 Apr 2013, 14:29

Notion Thief hell YES. That is going ALL THE WAY into my Grixis control deck. Imagine your opponent sacrificing his Garruk for five cards off a Thragtusk and you're like "nope!"

Oh man. So sweet. Awesome. Possibility Storm seems interesting but I get the sense that it's just going to be one of those wacky cards that never sees play
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 16 Apr 2013, 14:56

going in my Zur Deck.
"Oh what's that I already have a card advantage machine? well now I'm going to steal your advantage!!!" AH HA HAHA AH HAHA HAHA!
^( " )^
winner!
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 16 Apr 2013, 18:56

"Also I have these Signs in Blood"
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 16 Apr 2013, 19:02

Dominic Appleguard wrote:"Also I have these Signs in Blood"

Holy shit man... I hadn't even considered that interaction... that's amazing. Or... Bloodgift Demon... wow I need a set of this card.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”