May 9 - Daylight Savings

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
James
LRR Crew

May 9 - Daylight Savings

Postby James » 11 May 2007, 18:21

What once was lost now is found
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 11 May 2007, 18:31

That was totally the Rocky and Bullwinkle theme!

More as I finish listening.

~Alja-Markir~
zombine
Location: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Postby zombine » 11 May 2007, 18:38

Is this the closest anyones come to death on LRR?
Lacerta
Affable Marmot
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Lacerta » 11 May 2007, 18:47

It's not late if it goes up before the next podcast, right?
semper fidelis tyrannosaurus
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 11 May 2007, 19:13

Heya!

Your guess about the lights? Totally right. I made the mistake of opening my "The Torch" shortly after running it for several minutes to show to someone the bulb (Heinously overdriven 100w tungsten). One drop of rain on the very hot (but still off) bulb and KABLAM. The filament in your lamp might be intact; but if it was left running after the envelope explosion it's probably completely made of tungsten oxide by now. Take it to a ultra-high-power microscope if you have access to one (Yeah, I know) and take a look at the crystal growths. They will be awesome.

The bulb in my DLP TV set requires forced-air cooling, otherwise it will also explosively fail. As the electrode is consumed in the arc chamber (My DLP uses a mercury-vapour colour-corrected short-arc discharge bulb), the chamber can blacken - causing higher temperatures than normal. This happened to me recently - there was a sound like a gunshot and my TV went into alarm mode.

Thankfully, the bulb and reflector are in a sealed housing - and the explosion didn't manage to bust it. The entire arc chamber, electrode supports, and ceramic bulb support turned into sand, though. It's kind of awe-inspiring.

Paul's camera might be a little more colour-correction zealous than it needs to be - the human eye is most sensitive to green light, and some cameras are accordingly oversensitive to lights with a large amount of green in their emission spectrum. Had they been white LEDs, there'd be a huge amount of blue in the spectrum, so you may have gotten a slightly "blue-ified" picture? I don't know if you need to colour-correct for blue.

...Light geek represent?
Kneuronak
Doink

Postby Kneuronak » 11 May 2007, 19:31

I always skip to the end to see who won the Challenge, and... YEAH! YEAAAAAAH! DOOOOIIINK!

Hehehe.

Thanks guys, esp. Matt. I'm gonna go listen to the rest of the podcast.
Who?
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 11 May 2007, 19:40

As I already have a forum rank I will give instead why the day can be changed to be a few minutes long.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 11 May 2007, 19:47

LC, you should petition to have your title changed to "Can Drink Possible Beers".

Any random person can't drink possible beers; it takes a hero to be able to drink them. Aren't you a hero? Petition!
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 11 May 2007, 19:56

Code: Select all

LRR's awarding Uwe Boll two Lifetime Achievement Awards caused every deceased person involved in some way with filmmaking and cinema criticism to spin in their graves.  The cummulative effect of these rapid rotations turned the entire planet into a giant gyroscope.

On the plus side, this phenomenon can also be used as a source of cheap power once the corpses are hooked up properly to electric turbines.

Fine, fine: it's in code now, are you happy? You presentation Nazis, you.
Last edited by Melendwyr on 11 May 2007, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
'"
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 11 May 2007, 20:44

In Code Mel. *winks*

~Alja-Markir~

No, see, it doesn't count if not in code. They won't accept the entry. Or they'll at least take points off.
Last edited by Alja-Markir on 11 May 2007, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 11 May 2007, 20:49

Just to talk about Fallout a bit:

http://www.gluttoncreeper.com/page3.html

Makes me a little sad not knowing when, if ever, I'll see my work in print :(

And where's that demo on NMA?
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 11 May 2007, 22:04

Whoa, Morgan you not-cracking your knuckles sounded like you were snapping your fingers instead. Weeeeeeeird o_______o
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 11 May 2007, 22:27

Problem: Broken Sunrises and Sunsets

Caused By: The most recent abuse of the term 'executive privilege' by George W. Bush, when he enacted the Double Jinxing Coke Purchase Clause on his pet spaniel Corky.  It all started with the dog being unable to bark on command and unexplainable aversion to fizzy beverages, and culminated in the sun's erratic behavior.

Solution: Duct Tape.  It'll fuckin fix ANYTHING!!!
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 12 May 2007, 00:52

- Phenomenon -

Broken Sun Effect

- Cause -

With the advent of syntheticly derived Perpetual Energy Systems, crafted via the clever application of Murphy's Law to create Antigravitorial Felines, humanity believed itself to have found a limitless source of kinetic energy.

(http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law_application_for_antigravitatory_cats)

Exultant in this discovery, all major governments immediately mass produced such systems and deployed them across the globe. However, the cat-toast systems had the unforseen effect of warping local space-time, creating pockets of instability that altered the Earth's rotational speed in regards to its sun. These pockets influence each other in a set pattern, producing a complex warping of time that results in a variable, yet cyclicly repeating, long-term diurnal cycle anomaly. Furthermore, the Earth is prevented from moving out of these unstable regions, as the regions themselves form an intricate space-time web that is dragged along by the Earth's gravitational force, much like a fishing net caught on a struggling space turtle.

Additionally, the cat-toast constructs themselves have since become enveloped in so-called "Gray Holes", spatial sinks that separate the rapidly spinning felines from the rest of physical space by a pocket of time-distorted existance. All attempts to break the outer "surface" of said Gray Holes have met with failure, as all objects passing into them are estimated to take approximately twelve thousand years to fully exit the time-shell that comprises the outer "surface" of a Hole. This makes the systems, for all intents and purposes, invulnerable.

- Solution -

Research is being conducted into the possible application of a Quantum Detangler in order to dislodge the time-space distortion net from the earth's gravity well and space-time influence, but such a solution seems distant. Furthermore, the disentangled distortion net would afterward be set adrift into space, and likely would be drawn into the sun. Analysts cannot accurately predict what effects this would have, but the majority agree that the Earth would stand a lark's chance in a cat-toast quantum bubble.

Therefor, additional proposals are being considered concerning the construction of, and subsequent modding of, a planetary scale Sega Dreamcast to be placed in orbit around the Earth. Such a device would be used to, quite literally, swap interstellar bodies. The proposed exchange would target our home planet of Earth and replace it with Gliese 581-c. The space-time distortion net would remain entangled around the Earth and would thus be transported 20.5 lightyears away and would pose no threat to our new home planet, rich with a fresh stock of resources.

Gliese 581-c's larger physical size prompted concerns of an orbital collapse and subsequent solar immersion, but given the planet's current significant momentum and inertia, physicists predict a minimal amount of manipulation will be required to settle the planet into a stable and reasonable orbit and rotation. Of note, however, is that such an event would result in a shortened solar year, specifically one lasting only about one third as long as a normal earth year.

~Alja-Markir~

Edited for typos.
Last edited by Alja-Markir on 13 May 2007, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
RPGManic

Postby RPGManic » 12 May 2007, 01:50

Ive desided to hand draw mine, so expect a last minute entry

deadlines monday 14th of may right?
MAKE PENNE ARIBIATA NOT WAR
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 12 May 2007, 02:14

So I almost win the challenge and then you change your mind to be openended? Durnit...
Zhyard

Postby Zhyard » 12 May 2007, 04:56

Problem: Earth rotation around it's own axis and around the sun is accelerated and retarded every few minutes causing varied day lengt which since the accelerated rotation around its own axis now are as shown in the clip between circa 15 s and 120 s.

Cause: Bored aliens with a large zero point energy field manipulator (see Half-Life 2).

Solution: Begging for mercy hoping that they will stop and go home.
Last edited by Zhyard on 13 May 2007, 10:30, edited 3 times in total.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 12 May 2007, 05:36

Because it in fact has nothing to do with the SUN breaking, I will explain the problem of the broken EARTH.

The Earth is very far away from the sun. So far, in fact, that it takes years for light to reach the planet - the sun we are seeing right now left the sun over ten years ago.*

So even if something happened to the sun, we would not see the results for years. What happened was this: the sun blew up, and now the Earth is hurtling through the solar system, because there is no Sun for it to orbit. We're flying through in a little figure eight pattern around the gas giants, and spinning really really fast while we do it. The days are different lengths but still in a specific year because of the figure eight pattern!

So really, the sun actually IS broken. So it really is the problem of the broken sun. Looks like you're going to lose that job at the planetarium, Graham. Not that it matters - when the last light from the sun hits us, so will all the bits of explodey sun.

This is actually true, to an extent - I just can't remember the specific number so I made one up. :)

It occurs to me that this is incredibly unfunny. Oh well!
Zhyard

Postby Zhyard » 12 May 2007, 05:45

(I think we are more like 5 light minutes away from the sun and it's made out of gas so that's not that much of "bits" that would hits us, just wanted to point that out.)
Last edited by Zhyard on 12 May 2007, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 12 May 2007, 05:45

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 12 May 2007, 06:45

Zhyard wrote:(I think we are more like 5 light minutes away from the sun and it's made out of gas so that's not that much of "bits" that would hits us, just wanted to point that out.)

We're a bit more than eight light minutes from the Sun.

And if the Sun exploded, we'd be consumed by the "mere gas". It routinely ejects prominences that are larger than our entire planet and hot enough to vaporize all Earth's oceans.
'"
Zhyard

Postby Zhyard » 12 May 2007, 07:02

Melendwyr wrote:We're a bit more than eight light minutes from the Sun.

And if the Sun exploded, we'd be consumed by the "mere gas". It routinely ejects prominences that are larger than our entire planet and hot enough to vaporize all Earth's oceans.

I remebered that it were somewhere between 5-10 minutes and I just said that it weren't any chunks of matter, I never said that we wouldn't be more f-ed because of the gas. By the way what does the Sun mostly consist of, hydrogen and helium? [a quick Wikipedia check later] Apearently Hydrogen 73.46 % and Helium 24.85 %.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 12 May 2007, 10:40

THEY SAID IT DIDN'T HAVE TO BE BASED IN REALITY, PEOPLE

Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 12 May 2007, 10:58

I have but one question for you Emma, because you so eloquently put it that it doesn't have to be grounded in reality, can we at least know what will happen to the Earth as it spins further into space without a sun to light and heat it, only residual light? Will we all turn into popsicles?

*winks*

~Alja-Markir~
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 12 May 2007, 11:11

I hate you all. I am never trying anything, ever again.

Return to “LRRcast”