Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Re: Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

Postby Utilitarian » 23 May 2013, 08:49

Lord Hosk wrote:For a slivers "ability" to activate do there have to be multiple on the board or would LRR's spoiled "bonescythe sliver" come into play as a 2/2 double striker if it was the only creature on the board?

As I understand it, its ability makes all creatures of the Sliver type that you control have double strike. As Bonescythe Sliver is a Sliver creature you control, it will have double strike unless it is somehow no longer a sliver
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 23 May 2013, 12:20

Utilitarian is correct: It does enter as a 2/2 double striker.

If they wanted it to require two slivers they would have worded it along the lines of "Other sliver creatures..." or "As long as you control 2 or more Slivers...". Most Slivers will apply their abilities to themselves as well. It makes gameplay easier when all of your slivers have the same abilities.
Torian
First Video: CommadoreHustle 4

Postby Torian » 25 May 2013, 19:27

Hello, I have a possibly naive question that I hope is not obvious. :)

I am trying to pin down exactly how Experiment Krajs' abilities work as a commander. For example:

1. If I place a counter on Omnath, Locus of Mana with Kraj on board does Omnath get double pumps or does Kraj gain Omathss ability and pump himself? I ask because Omnaths' ability is specifically directed at Omnath.

2. When exactly does Krajs' ability activate? If I have an Qumulox down with a counter does Kraj cost 1C less for each artifact? And how does that affect his cost as a commander?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 25 May 2013, 22:45

Let's drop these in here to make this easier:

Omnath, Locus of Mana
Legendary Creature — Elemental 1/1, 2G (3)
Green mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.

Omnath, Locus of Mana gets +1/+1 for each green mana in your mana pool.

Experiment Kraj
Legendary Creature — Ooze Mutant 4/6, 2UUGG (6)
Experiment Kraj has all activated abilities of each other creature with a +1/+1 counter on it.

{T}: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

Putting a counter on Omnath or Qumulox won't really do anything. Experimental Kraj only gains Activated Abilities from other creatures, and neither of those has an Activated Ability.

Activated Abilities are in the form "[cost]:[effect]".
Things like

Code: Select all

Tap: Deal 1 damage to target creature or player

Discard a card: Wild Mongrel gets +1/+1 and becomes the color of your choice until end of turn.

1W, Do the Hokey Pokey (Stand up, wiggle your butt, raise your hands above your head, and shake them wildly as you rotate 360 degrees): Prevent all damage to Knight of the Hokey Pokey from any one source.

Qumulox and Omnath have what are called Static Abilities.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 25 May 2013, 23:24

If I have a pair of Gruul Ragebeasts on the board, and I lay down a Ruric Thar, does my Ruric Thar fight one creature or two?
korvys

Postby korvys » 25 May 2013, 23:36

Each of the Gruul Ragebeasts triggers, and you choose a target for each trigger. You can choose the same creature for each trigger. Then Ruric Thar fights one, then the other. I hope he's man enough.

keybase.io
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 26 May 2013, 00:10

Two, or the same one twice. Both Ragebeasts trigger, and they'll resolve separately. If they target two different creatures, then Ruric Thar will fight both (unless Ruric Thar dies in the first fight, in which case the second will do nothing); if they both target the same creature, then Ruric Thar will fight it twice (unless either dies in the first fight).
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Rootbreaker
First Video: Checkpoint 1

Postby Rootbreaker » 28 May 2013, 12:20

Rootbreaker wrote:When you're fusing the spell, you're casting one spell with a combined converted mana cost, but two mana costs. The mana costs are the relevant part when you cast the spell. The mana costs of Catch and Release are 1UR and 4RW, so I think you reduce both costs by 1 with the medallion. This is the opposite of my intuition, but seems to be what the rules and FAQ are saying.
I've discovered that this is wrong. While the fused spell does have two mana costs, you only apply the medallion after adding up the mana costs and any additional costs. It will only apply to a fused spell once.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 28 May 2013, 16:52

When I cast a non-creature spell with Ruric-Thar on the board, does his damage ability always go on the top of the stack infront of the spell I just cast?
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 28 May 2013, 17:00

Yes, since it activates in response to you casting the spell.
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 28 May 2013, 19:22

Utilitarian wrote:When I cast a non-creature spell with Ruric-Thar on the board, does his damage ability always go on the top of the stack infront of the spell I just cast?

It does indeed, which is quite good for me as it caused an opponent in my first Ravnica block draft to kill himself casting what would have been a lethal Toil & Trouble. ;)
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 28 May 2013, 19:50

Man it's too bad Innistrad block is rotating out... If you somehow manage to give Ruric Thar lifelink his damage would cancel itself out. Sadly the only way I can see to do that without taking a full hit from casting an enchantment is pairing with a Nearheath Pilgrim. Hopefully M14 or the next set will have some kind of lifelink equipment. Muwhaha.
korvys

Postby korvys » 28 May 2013, 21:45

Vizkopa Guildmage would do it for a turn at a time, though the colours are way off.

keybase.io
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 02 Jun 2013, 19:47

I've got a question regarding plainswalkers, can you use their abilities the turn you play then? I assume yes since it's not a tap ability

Ex. Play Memory Adept->activate 0->Mind Sculpt->Thought Scour->Swing with Mirko Vosk unopposed->MWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHahahaha!!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 02 Jun 2013, 20:04

Yes, you can use an ability as soon as you play the Planeswalker.

While this might be a bit advanced, I feel it's worth mentioning. If you resolve a planeswalker, you keep priority when it enters the battlefield. Which means that you can play the planeswalker and activate one of it's ability before an opponent has the chance to do something at instant-speed to try to kill it.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 02 Jun 2013, 20:13

Ah good 2 know, even if it doesn't last the turn at least you can get one thing off.
korvys

Postby korvys » 02 Jun 2013, 22:48

Just for completeness sake:

CR606.3. A player may activate a loyalty ability of a permanent he or she controls any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty during a main phase of his or her turn, but only if no player has previously activated a loyalty ability of that permanent that turn.

No mention of needing to control it since the start of the turn (unlike tap abilities on creatures)

Also:

CR601.2h Once the steps described in 601.2a–g are completed, the spell becomes cast... If the spell's controller had priority before casting it, he or she gets priority.

keybase.io
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Jun 2013, 14:01

Alright, 2 questions I believe I know the answer to, but want to verify.

1. Unless otherwise specified (like in Dryad Arbor) lands are not colored permanents, correct? Therefore, a Swamp is not a black permanent, and an Izzet Guildgate is not a red and blue permanent, correct?

2. If a creature that has an Aura on it gains protection from the color of that Aura, the Aura falls off and goes into the graveyard as a state-based action, correct?

I ask both of these because I have just encountered the Empty-Shrine Kannushi, which has "protection from the colors of permanents you control."
Therefore, for the land question, I'm assuming that if you have a Swamp in play, he doesn't get protection from black.
Also, for the Aura question, if you have no green permanents in play, you can cast something like Forced Adaptation on him, and it will momentarily stick, until SBAs are checked. (This being due to the fact that Forced Adaptation is a spell and not a permanent while it's on the stack.) Therefore, if you've got something on-board that cares about enchantments, permanents, or green permanents, that number will go up momentarily (which could cause other things to change, based on other SBAs). So, while you would normally not want to enchant him with anything, since it'll go in the graveyard right afterwards, it might just work in some weird combo or unique board state. For example, say you have some reason you need to kill your own guy. If you have at least 1 creature in the graveyard already and no black permanents in play, I'm assuming you can cast Death's Approach on him, which will kill him from having 0 toughness at the same time he gains the protection from black.

This is assuming I have everything correct. If not, it all falls apart.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 07 Jun 2013, 15:09

AdmiralMemo wrote:Alright, 2 questions I believe I know the answer to, but want to verify.

1. Unless otherwise specified (like in Dryad Arbor) lands are not colored permanents, correct? Therefore, a Swamp is not a black permanent, and an Izzet Guildgate is not a red and blue permanent, correct?
Lands are colorless, unless otherwise specified.

AdmiralMemo wrote:2. If a creature that has an Aura on it gains protection from the color of that Aura, the Aura falls off and goes into the graveyard as a state-based action, correct?
I'm not certain at all.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Jun 2013, 16:10

madAlric wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:2. If a creature that has an Aura on it gains protection from the color of that Aura, the Aura falls off and goes into the graveyard as a state-based action, correct?
I'm not certain at all.
I did find this in the rules, to back me up:
MtG Rule 303.4b wrote:If an Aura is enchanting an illegal object or player, the object it was attached to no longer exists, or the player it was attached to has left the game, the Aura is put into its owner’s graveyard. (This is a state-based action. See rule 704.)
That first part, about an "illegal object" is what I'm thinking about. Then, I found this:
MtG Rule 702.15c wrote:A permanent or player with protection can’t be enchanted by Auras that have the stated quality. Such Auras attached to the permanent or player with protection will be put into their owners’ graveyards as a state-based action. (See rule 704, “State-Based Actions.”)
So I'm pretty sure that my evaluation 2 is right, now. I'm still trying to verify how it works with Empty-Shrine Kannushi, though. From what I can see, he'd be a valid target while the spell resolves, and then, once the spell becomes a permanent, he'd be invalid, and it would drop off. So, the key point would be that the spell would still resolve, and not fizzle.

korvys

Postby korvys » 07 Jun 2013, 16:46

Yes, while Aura spells target, he wouldn't gain pro-whatever until well after the spell started resolving, so it wouldn't fizzle (be countered).

Then SBAs are checked, and it falls off. At which point he loses pro-whatever again, the fickle bastard.

keybase.io
phlip

Postby phlip » 07 Jun 2013, 17:20

Everything Memo said there is accurate, re enchantments and protection and such.

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Jun 2013, 01:06

I'm thinking about a card interaction that, due to certain replacement effects, would end up attempting to shuffle a token into your library. Now, I know, in the end, you'll never end up with a token in your library due to state-based effects making a token disappear when it enters any zone other than the battlefield. In a real-world game, I know you'd just remove it and shuffle your library normally. However, I'm wondering if, on the absolute technical rules level of the game, you actually do shuffle the token into your library, and then it disappears, due to state-based effects. If that's the case, that seems amusing to me, as it would effectively cause something to wink out of existence from the middle of your library. :D

Basically, what I'm asking is, "When are state-based effects checked with regard to shuffling your library?"

phlip

Postby phlip » 08 Jun 2013, 01:46

You don't even need crazy combinations of replacement effects for that, you can just activate Void Stalker targeting a token (or, for better value, activate a token copy of Void Stalker... hello Progenitor Mimic...).

However, the rules clarify that "shuffling your library" means to shuffle all the cards in the Library zone...
MCR wrote:400.11. Some effects instruct a player to do something to a zone (such as "Shuffle your hand into your library"). That action is performed on all cards in that zone. The zone itself is not affected.
So the token is "in your library", but you don't need to actually shuffle it in, even playing 100% super by-the-rules technical. Its exact position in your library doesn't matter since it's not a card, nothing can reference it in your library, and it disappears as an SBA anyway. Like, even if something said "put a creature on top of your library then draw a card", and it was a token, you wouldn't draw that token, since it's not the top card of your library, since it's not a card.

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Jun 2013, 03:33

Gotcha. :)
I was just imagining in my head the amusing idea of shuffling your library, and then after you put it back down, something in the middle just going *poof* and everything dropping down one. :D

What got me thinking about it was an anecdote from (I believe) one of the guys at Wizards who mentioned that they figured out some crazy combination of cards and rules (which they also mentioned no longer works under current rules), where they were able to end up putting a token on the stack, which I thought was highly amusing, as well. :)

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”