A random weird question.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Which is better

Kitchen Tap Water
40%
Bathroom Tap Water
7%
They're both the same you weirdo
30%
You're an idiot
No votes
Other
7%
None of the above
16%
I refuse to participate in this
No votes

Total votes: 43
Keab42

A random weird question.

Postby Keab42 » 30 May 2013, 14:18

So this occurred to me when I realised that I was going all the way downstairs to the kitchen to fill a glass of water from the tap instead of using the bathroom tap in the next room. Am I the only person who does this?
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: A random weird question.

Postby Jamfalcon » 30 May 2013, 14:22

I voted other, since I have a well. The water isn't treated at all, so I fill water cooler jugs with water from the city and drink that.

But when I'm at other people's houses, I generally have no problem getting water from the bathroom tap.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 30 May 2013, 14:24

I voted Kitchen.. But tempted to put "I refuse!" :D
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 30 May 2013, 18:20

I voted kitchen tap, but strongly wanted to say "they're both the same, you weirdo." I always forget that there's a tap in my bathroom except when I'm taking care of hygiene. I don't have a problem with the water from the bathroom tap; I just forget that there's a tap in the bathroom.
Jimor
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Jimor » 30 May 2013, 18:48

I typically reuse water bottles (they're good to have around, but I don't like paying too often for them, plus waste, etc.), so I use the kitchen more often just because it's easier to fill them there, but I'll use the bathroom tap once in a while as well.
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 30 May 2013, 18:49

It's not really a tap, it's the water dispenser on my fridge. Although I have been known to buy those big dispensers of drinking water to keep in my upstairs bathroom so I don't have to go downstairs for a drink.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 30 May 2013, 19:00

I don't trust the water in my area. So I normally get bottled water if I need to or fill up a jug in town for like fifty cents.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 30 May 2013, 19:49

I use a Britat water purifying jug thingy. I only drink water from that.
Image Image Image
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 30 May 2013, 20:42

I don't trust my tap water. Unless it's for making tea/coffee. Boiling it should take care of some of the unsavory bits.
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 30 May 2013, 21:27

My tap water tastes like chlorine, so I generally leave it sit out a few hours to evaporate and it's fine.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 31 May 2013, 00:42

I voted "they're both the same you weirdo".
While I stand by that statement I always take kitchen water.
It's a matter of association basically. I associate bathroom water with toothpaste and kitchen water with foodstuffs.
So basically you are weird for doing this, but I am too, so we're equal.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 31 May 2013, 02:21

I always use water from our water filter, which lives in the kitchen. So I do go down to get water from the kitchen, but not from the tap. Well, not directly...

empath

Postby empath » 31 May 2013, 03:01

I gotta go upstairs and use the landlord's kitchen, so our bathroom tap is my main source. It SHOULD be the same, though. :)

Jimor - the plastic in those water bottles isn't meant for extended use - they're disposable for a reason. After a while, you'll start to have chemicals leech into the water you're putting back in the bottles.

If you don't trust your water supply, I suggest saving up to get a water filter and a handful of reusable steel water bottles (the latter really aren't that expensive) then switch over to that from your purchased bottled water.

(also, I love the trust everyone is willing to give the bottlers to ACTUALLY filter/clean the water they sell; how many people buy a big name with a reputation to lose like Perrier or Evian, and how many people just grab whatever cheap brand? :) )
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 31 May 2013, 03:18

I have a water filter tap in the kitchen, so I use that. But I actually don't drink much water, I drink tea and once boiled and tea, and milk is added then it doesn't make much difference what water
you use.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 31 May 2013, 05:48

empath wrote:Jimor - the plastic in those water bottles isn't meant for extended use - they're disposable for a reason. After a while, you'll start to have chemicals leech into the water you're putting back in the bottles.

I do re-use plastic water bottles, but I replace them weekly, regardless of how much use they've seen. I'm terrible at maintaining my stainless reusable bottles (mostly draining, cleaning, drying regularly), so re-using plastic ones is about the best balance I can strike between reusable and hygienic.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 31 May 2013, 06:20

They should basically be the same, but I would expect that the distance between nozzle and sink basin would be greater in the kitchen, making it easier to fill a water bottle their than in the bathroom.
empath

Postby empath » 31 May 2013, 07:31

Oooh! Good point. :)

I'll admit, I do have a bit of a hassle fitting some of my water bottles in the smaller bathroom sink, but I'm still more willing deal with that hassle (and keep my bottles on the counter next to the bathroom sink), rather than trudge all the way upstairs and across the house to the landlord's kitchen to fill them up. ;)

@Jimor - *phew* Okay, yeah a week should be fine...I used to drink Gatorade fairly regularly, and would use those bottles washed out for water for months at a time...after reading reports about the BPA in them and switching to re-usable bottles, I *did* notice I was...less fatigued. :?
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 31 May 2013, 07:49

I swear the water from my bathroom tap tastes more stale and gross than my kitchen tap. I actually make a point of using the kitchen sink if possible. In general, Vancouver water is pretty good though (certainly no shortage of supply), so I don't bother filtering, but I drink a lot of cheap sparkling water because it's more fun.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 31 May 2013, 07:55

If what my parents told me as a kid is true, always go kitchen. Bathroom water comes, according to them, from/via a tank in the roof rather than a direct mains supply, and I was always discouraged from drinking it on the basis that 'there could be a dead pigeon in it'. A few years down the line, a few parts about that story don't make much sense (such as how the hell a dead pigeon is meant to get inside a sealed tank), but I next to never drink bathroom water as a result.

Although to be honest, I rarely drink water. Or much else, for that matter.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
empath

Postby empath » 31 May 2013, 08:42

Well, Ix, that would depend on how you house's plumbing is set up. It'd be vastly simpler for the plumber to just have all taps...er 'tapping' off the main intake from your municipality/etc, but water pressure issues could have them drawing off a holding tank, and again, easier to plumb ALL of them the same way. But then again, not EVERY single dwelling is ALWAYS set up in the most convenient way. :)

Which brings up an interesting point which MIGHT give Met's observation some credibility: length of plumbing within a house and differences in that (or even use of specific pipes) for one tap versus another.

Here's a case of what happened around this part of town a few years back: I've probably vented about water pipes leaking in our basement apartment's ceiling a while ago - it turned out to be the copper pipe was...substandard, and was prone to eroding away relatively quickly (like 10-15 years or so).

But the fun thing is, it didn't just happen to my landlord; a few months later, his neighbour had his copper plumbing leaking...and then a year later, my folks' place a couple of blocks away had leaks, and a couple of their neighbours...

In the end, it turned out that much of the copper piping used in home renovations and new home construction around St. John's in the late '80s came from the same defective supply (one of the benefits of living in a relatively remote, out-of-the-way place. :roll: )

So there MIGHT be an issue with your plumbing that goes from your water supply to the bathroom tap, Met...or between the branch where the supply splits between the bathroom and the kitchen, at least. I know most plumbing is hidden inside walls/floor/ceilings, but you might wanna take a peek around...and a cheap, simple thing to try might be to check the screen on the end of your bathroom faucet; if it's clogged or dirty, it's easy to clean or even replace.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 31 May 2013, 08:44

Except I live in a pretty tall (20 stories) apartment building, so my observation makes no sense, but I still believe it, dammit.
empath

Postby empath » 31 May 2013, 08:57

Still, can't hurt to check the faucet out (and look under the counter - if you see green copper pipes (corrosion on the outside), or heaven forbid *mold* growing on/near them, let your superintendent know! :)

You'd be surprised how fallible something most of us take for granted - like clean drinking water - can actually be. That 'dead animal in the holding tank' is pretty unlikely...but it's not IMPOSSIBLE.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 31 May 2013, 09:23

Happened in my elementary school.

Last time I had my building manager fix plumbing, they reversed the threading on my cold tap, which drove me insane until I figured it out.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 31 May 2013, 11:55

When I was a kid living in a PMQ in Nova Scotia, I was convinced the water from the bathtub tap tasted better than the water from the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink.
Where I live now, the water comes out colder from the kitchen sink and tastes better. I think a lot of it has to do with the piping and possibly how often you use the taps.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Dempsas
First Video: ss

Postby Dempsas » 31 May 2013, 15:01

I went for they are both the same. Though the taps in bathrooms seem to add a different flavor... Might be the pipes.

Also when I'm back home in Te Anau and out on a boat I drink straight from the lake or waterfalls. Bottled water be dammed.

Return to “General Discussion”