Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
gcninja

Re: Doctor Who

Postby gcninja » 01 Jun 2013, 15:52

What if John hurt did that? Hurt a Timelord to the brink of death and STOLE his regenerations in order to live longer
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 01 Jun 2013, 16:07

Ptangmatik wrote:Ah, but they're too into continuity at this point not to hold it up, I reckon they'll have the doctor find another timelord who's either been stuck in conscious suspended animation/a timeloop and grown tired of life or gone mad and the doctor cures him or something in a similar vein and they'll 'bestow' their remaining regenerations onto the doctor in gratitude and sacrifice themselves, they've already established that he can direct that energy externally.

Like River already did in Let's Kill Hitler?
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 01 Jun 2013, 16:14

Yes but that was because he was ABOUT to die and regen, not run out. Instead she healed him.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 01 Jun 2013, 16:22

But she burned up all her future regeneration energy to bring him back to life - he was dying from a poisoning he apparently couldn't regenerate his way out of was the implication.
I wouldn't be surprised if that act gave him some extra to hand though, even if he hasn't realised it.

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I would also like if they allowed Women to audition too. I don't want just a woman doctor. I want the potential that if a female actor shines in the role during the audition the most, the Doctor could be a woman.

What's to say Moffat and/or Davidson haven't already done this, but as per their high levels of secrecy in the audition processes, they do not talk about it one way or the other.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Jun 2013, 17:16

I dont think its too deep in continuity either I think its in the fan mind more than it is in the show itself.

What was it like once the master stole a body and was given more and once 7 said something like "We only have 13 lives, we regenerate 12 times and then we die"

The Daleks can't climb stairs was more established than that and they changed that pretty well.

I mean, to be fair, the doctor has said he had 12 regenerations just as often as he said he has 507 regenerations right? its just that fans have it in their heads that there will only be 13 doctors and that William Hartnell was one and Matt Smith is eleven (possibly 12 now)
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 01 Jun 2013, 18:55

PlasmaCow wrote:What's to say Moffat and/or Davidson haven't already done this, but as per their high levels of secrecy in the audition processes, they do not talk about it one way or the other.

'Cause Moffat's not the greatest when it comes to dealing with women in his writing....

Also, I imagine the Beeb AND a huge number of "fans" would pitch a fit. Because nerds are sexist as all getout.

Hell, I'd be surprised if they even go with a non-white bloke for the next Doctor, though they really ought to consider it.

It'd also be nice to get an actor who wasn't a baby. :P It'd give it some variety! Also hopefully less snogging!
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 01 Jun 2013, 18:58

Ginger girl!

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Jun 2013, 20:23

I would love to see someone who wasn't a pin up, and maybe not a pin up for a companion as well. I thought the best part about Ten and Donna was that there was NO sexual "will they wont they" going on. They were pals not two people struggling not to shag.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 01 Jun 2013, 20:31

Lord Hosk wrote:I would love to see someone who wasn't a pin up, and maybe not a pin up for a companion as well. I thought the best part about Ten and Donna was that there was NO sexual "will they wont they" going on. They were pals not two people struggling not to shag.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

AMEN

The Doctor/Donna dynamic was the best thing

THE BEST THING
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Jun 2013, 20:56

Agreed.

It took me a while to actually like Donna, but once I did, it was awesome.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 01 Jun 2013, 21:26

I will echo my sentiments here. I think Sue Perkins as Doctor and David Mitchell as companion would be just as amazing as The Doctor Donna. And I LOVE The Doctor Donna.

But I don't think the Docotr should be anybody because it has to be x because otherwise that would be racist/sexist/whateverist. If the next Doctor is Donald Glover because he was the best person that auditioned, rad. I look forward to it. But if he gets picked simply to appeal to an "urban demographic," that's racist. And if he doesn't get picked because he's black, that's sexist.
Image Image Image
PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 02 Jun 2013, 01:46

I'm not sure Sue Perkins could pull it off, I like her, I just don't think she has the skill for the part.

I would like to see the introduction of a more frequently rotating cast of companions, or at least having two or three permanently for a while. Whilst I like them, I think we're sort of done with Vastra and co. now - I'd prefer human(-like) companions from different times than our own for something fresh.

Patrick Stewart has gone on record that he would be thriller to be involved in the show - though I'd prefer him to either be a recurring baddie (Daydreaming Alert!!: I've a vision in my head that he would make an excellent evil Timelord, one from the earliest days of the race believed only to be a myth by the Doctor's time, but who's been trapped/hidding in the space between spaces like the Cult of Skaro did) or as a short-term companion for half a series or so.

Interestingly, I've just realised, the only person in new-Who to have actually witnessed a regeneration is Rose (ignoring SJS).
TheGhostOfZero
First Video: The Job

Postby TheGhostOfZero » 02 Jun 2013, 02:01

Imagine if Stephen Moffat stopped writing Doctor Who and was replaced be Joss Whedon.
/fingergun
Zero

Geoff_B wrote:I wish to complain. That last picture is not Kittens, it's the son of Sauron!
Mister Fiend wrote:Does that mean I get to violence someone? Please say yes.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Jun 2013, 02:06

TheGhostOfZero wrote:Imagine if Stephen Moffat stopped writing Doctor Who and was replaced be Joss Whedon.

Then the Doctor would have 5 or so regular companions :P

AlexanderDitto wrote:'Cause Moffat's not the greatest when it comes to dealing with women in his writing....

Miss Evangelista - Library
Nancy - Gasmask Zombies
Miss Kizlet - Bells that Emd
Madge Arwell - Narnia (However the amount of praise given on being a mother could be patronising. However I do have a penis so my perception will be warped)
Sally Sparrow - Blink
Reinette Poisson - Clockwerk French

I thought were good female characters penned by Moffat. Granted the last was historical.

I would have thought that a good written 'female' Doctor would be writing for The Doctor who is played by a woman. The advantage of a Timelord is that they are potentially female or male, and alien. So they don't conform to stereotypes.

If the next Doctor is female, I look forwards to the rage.
TheGhostOfZero

Postby TheGhostOfZero » 02 Jun 2013, 02:43

The next Doctor can only be female if Moffat isn't writing.
/fingergun
Zero

Geoff_B wrote:I wish to complain. That last picture is not Kittens, it's the son of Sauron!
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 02 Jun 2013, 03:18

...Huh. I've only really read this last page and.. Wow. There's some pretty crazy claims/accusations going on up in here..

Oh well, good thing I listen to the Nerdist podcasts and watch the BBC America Nerdist TV show, Chris Hardwick has a lot of friendly insider access to Doctor Who things, so.. Have fun speculating, I guess. And throwing empty accusations without any real evidence. ;)
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 02 Jun 2013, 04:03

So we're not counting The Incident At The End Of The Stolen Earth as a regeneration then?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
TheGhostOfZero

Postby TheGhostOfZero » 02 Jun 2013, 04:19

Are people honestly surprised that Matt Smith is leaving?
Everyone I talked to agreed that this would be his last, saw it coming a mile off.
/fingergun
Zero

PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 02 Jun 2013, 05:18

Sky Bet's interesting and brizzare odds for next Doctor.
Considering all the bookies have gotten it completely wrong the last three times though, who knows.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Jun 2013, 05:20

I'm ready to see a new Doctor personally.
I am sad that Smith is leaving, but I feel like his Doctor's narrative has been resolved. After the 50th is a good time to go on.

It enforces the intent of the 50th as "Honouring the past but establishing the future". What better than having a new Doctor?

(I've been reading Who blogs and I find a comparison against a female doctor funny. "You'll never cast Catwoman as a man". Well duh. Clue's in the name, "CatWOMAN". If you cast a man it's be "CatMAN" or "CatTRANSVESTITE". It's not like The Doctor is called "Doctor PENIS". Maybe that's the Doctor's name...)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Jun 2013, 06:13

Thats his great and terrible secret.

[–]Graham_LRR
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Jun 2013, 06:23

With all the discussions going on about "maybe he should be a woman next" I just dont see it happening any more than I see 007 being a woman. Its a male role with a established pattern. Sure the pattern was established in part because we are a male dominated society but that doesnt change things. Time Lords regenerate into Time Lords and Time Ladies regenerate into Time ladies, sure its possible that "since he goes through massive changes anyways why not change this" the flip side of the coin is "why change that" There would have to be a failry strong story to make a gender switch anything but a pander "What? sexist? Nahh uhh"

If we had seen other time lords change frequently with regenerations sure but we haven't to my knowledge.

Im not saying "I would quit watching the doctor can only be a dude!" im just saying it would have to be super big story driven to make me not hate it. If they just hired and actress, Matt smith regenerated into time lady and on screen the new doctor said "oh look im a woman now I guess I will just adapt to this change because gender isnt really that big a deal" (wink wink) I would be very disappointed.
Last edited by Lord Hosk on 02 Jun 2013, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.

[–]Graham_LRR
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 02 Jun 2013, 06:27

So........ Hugh Laurie?
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 02 Jun 2013, 06:46

AlexanderDitto wrote:'Cause Moffat's not the greatest when it comes to dealing with women in his writing....

Also, I imagine the Beeb AND a huge number of "fans" would pitch a fit. Because nerds are sexist as all getout.

Hell, I'd be surprised if they even go with a non-white bloke for the next Doctor, though they really ought to consider it.

It'd also be nice to get an actor who wasn't a baby. :P It'd give it some variety! Also hopefully less snogging!

Y'know, Ditto, I really do like you. You're a cool guy. But I just.. Wow. This sounds so.. Enlightened.

Dudebros are sexist/objectifying. Nerds stereotypically don't know or are uncomfortably awkward around women because that's what "nerds" are known for.
That was, however, until Nerdist. The Nerdist podcast community is largely very equally supportive. It is very popular opinion by Nerdist community Whovians that a female Doctor would be fucking amazing.

Maybe, just maybe, this is a massive over-generalization and accusation at an entire sub-culture? "Because nerds are sexist as all getout." Right. On an internet forum. Of nerds. Okay. That's quite the claim to make, rather than, say.. Oh, I don't know.. A very vocal minority of shitheads making the rest of the community look bad? This is more of a "Hey man, WTF?" than a "You are, like, the worst!" Just.. I can't even.

Anyway, Lord Hosk does make a great point. If it's genuinely story-relevant and not just a forced "Oh, he's a she now, no explanation of how or why, let's just carry on!", awesome.

There's been no Jane Bond: 007.. And it's not exactly like women are campaigning for there to be one, because Bond is pretty much always "eye candy".
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 02 Jun 2013, 07:50

MattAn wrote:Dudebros are sexist/objectifying. Nerds stereotypically don't know or are uncomfortably awkward around women because that's what "nerds" are known for.
That was, however, until Nerdist. The Nerdist podcast community is largely very equally supportive. It is very popular opinion by Nerdist community Whovians that a female Doctor would be fucking amazing.

Yeah, the Nerdist podcast doesn't represent the vast majority of nerds.

Go read about how Donald Glover got treated when he made a video trying to get an audition to play Spiderman. Go ahead. Read the comments. They're lovely. And by lovely I mean vomit-inducing. Listen to the shit messages Donald Glover got. And this is Donald Glover. Nerds LOVE Community, right??? And this was for having the audacity to want an audition. He wasn't asking for the part. He was asking for the CHANCE to play the part.

Then try to convince me that the exact same bullshit wouldn't happen if a woman tried to audition for the part of The Doctor.

Lord Hosk wrote:With all the discussions going on about "maybe he should be a woman next" I just dont see it happening any more than I see 007 being a woman. Its a male role with a established pattern. Sure the pattern was established in part because we are a male dominated society but that doesnt change things. Time Lords regenerate into Time Lords and Time Ladies regenerate into Time ladies, sure its possible that "since he goes through massive changes anyways why not change this" the flip side of the coin is "why change that" There would have to be a failry strong story to make a gender switch anything but a pander "What? sexist? Nahh uhh"

Actually, in Shada, and then again in The Doctor's Wife, The Doctor mentions that The Corsair (a Time Lord, "one of the good ones,") had been both male and female in various incarnations. So the idea isn't new.

That said, I can understand that, like James Bond, the character has a sort of identity, and his gender is somewhat tied to that identity. I think it's tied into James Bond's identity a bit more strongly than The Doctor's, but... I doubt the writers would be able to write it well if the Doctor were played by a woman anyway. They'd probably make her want to have babies or something stupid. Because Mystical Pregnancy. Blaugh.

But there's no good reason the Doctor would always be white.

Though Cam did give one depressing reason on twitter...

@UnarmedOracle wrote:While I get that the Doctor can regenerate as any race or gender, I know if I was an alien visiting earth I'd def. go with white and male.

I mean, have you tried being anything other than white and male? Waaaaay harder.

Return to “General Discussion”