Crowdsource Your Life and Report

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: Crowdsource Your Life and Report

Postby Master Gunner » 07 Jun 2013, 14:16

Yeah, I'd go with motorcycle-type gear myself. Kevlar preferably, leather is workable. Strong canvas or denim, like Met said, would also work well without restricting mobility.

Zombies tend to come in swarms. Doesn't matter how bite-proof you are when they can dogpile you. Mobility is by far the key factor.

Also, the most overlooked item in any apocalypse scenario: the bicycle. Vastly increases your speed, endurance, and carrying capacity; doesn't need fuel; easy to repair; and they're readily available in any remotely urban environment.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Pikachaos
First Video: Ballad of the Fanboy

Postby Pikachaos » 07 Jun 2013, 17:21

empath wrote:Yeah...it'd have a snag with joints like elbows, etc. - taping them would restrict motion and mobility, while leaving them untaped would leave a 'chink in your armor'...hmmm...

I didn't mention, but it was assumed that you wouldn't tape your joints.

Metcarfre wrote:Plus, no breathability, and it's not really that bite-proof. Best would be some lightweight kevlar garments, like for riding motorcycles.

I read something awhile ago that mentioned a wet suit [just the suit, not feet things or anything haha. It's apparently breathable enough.

Also breathable wont really matter for the bit where you're trying not to die, and also depends on where you are. Up in Minnesota in winter you bet your ass I'm wearing the warmest stuff I can find.

Hmmm... when I have time I may just draw up a zombie fighting thing. :3
DeviantArt - Cyberguardian
Twitter - Pikachaos
Tumblr - http://worldnegativeone.tumblr.com/

"Y-you'll have to kill your underwear." -Ghost Graham
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 07 Jun 2013, 17:27

Alright, crowd...

I woke up this morning with my right ear feeling "clogged" and congested. JackSlack had this happen a few days ago and I'm just getting over a cold, so I'm quite sure it's not a dire medical problem... but it is very annoying.

Are there any tips or tricks for managing that?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 07 Jun 2013, 17:31

In the winter it's important to dress in layers, and appropriately to the situation at hand. A good overcoat would do in most winter situations: providing warmth without limiting mobility too much, and you can quickly drop it if you really need to move (at that point, comfort matters significantly less).

Duckay: I suggest a strong shot of whiskey. But then again, I suggest that for everything. Don't listen to me.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 07 Jun 2013, 17:34

Don't have whiskey; do have beer, but I doubt that works as a decongestant.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 07 Jun 2013, 18:00

Duckay wrote:Alright, crowd...

I woke up this morning with my right ear feeling "clogged" and congested. JackSlack had this happen a few days ago and I'm just getting over a cold, so I'm quite sure it's not a dire medical problem... but it is very annoying.

if it's just your ear, take a bath and hold your ear under the water, allowing the water in. When you get out, lay down with the now water-logged/congested ear down on a towel or towel covered pillow. If you're lucky, the water will help wash out the ear. If not, at least you got a relaxing bath.
It used to work for me when I was a kid.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 07 Jun 2013, 18:44

Pikachaos wrote:I read something awhile ago that mentioned a wet suit [just the suit, not feet things or anything haha. It's apparently breathable enough.

Having walked around in one, I can't imagine anything worse than trying to evade zombies in a wetsuit. I might just let them have their snack.
Kirkygirl
First Video: Son Of A Bitch

Postby Kirkygirl » 07 Jun 2013, 19:36

Duckay, it may be a bit late but try using olive oil in your clogged ear. Just make sure JackSlack is there to keep your head up straight so it doesn't all run out. Drain out after 5 min.
Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there!
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 07 Jun 2013, 19:43

Umm... Ew?

-m

I am not angry at you.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 07 Jun 2013, 19:46

It might not actually help but my favourite piece of advice is still the whiskey.

I figure it's a win-win. Either it works and my ear congestion fades, or it doesn't help, but I'm buzzed so I don't mind... right?
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 07 Jun 2013, 19:51

(BTW I DID THE THING I'M THE BEST GO ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS)
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 07 Jun 2013, 20:16

Whoaaaaa
MinniChi wrote:
Duckay wrote:Alright, crowd...

Avoid putting anything sharp in your ears. Since you didn't get it from swimming, I'm not sure more water/rubbing alcohol (which is what I usually use to get water out of my ears after swimming) would help (I've never heard of water getting rid of water in the ears anyway; wouldn't that just add more water and compound the problem?)

I am not a doctor, but blocked ears due to a cold are usually due to congestion in the tube between your middle ear and your outer ear. When you can't equalize that pressure, it dulls the vibration of your eardrums so sound sounds muffled.

Try yawning, chewing gum, swallowing, etc. If that doesn't help, you can inhale, hold your nose, close your mouth, and exhale; this will put pressure and can force the tube to open up, but don't push too hard; you can damage your middle ear. Yawning and swallowing are safer.

If the problem is earwax, though, that shit's tough. Best bet might be baby oil or olive oil or a trip to the doctor to get the wax broken up and removed, if it's severe. :/ I'm not so sure about earwax problems.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 07 Jun 2013, 20:29

I'm fairly certain it's congestion because of my cold. I'm not a doctor either, but it seems to make sense because I've had a cold, and those friends of mine who have also had a cold lately have reported the same symptom.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 07 Jun 2013, 20:36

The rubbing alcohol and/or hydrogen peroxide trick not only gets trapped water out of the ear, but it also (supposedly) loosens up ear wax and helps with fighting infection. The bubbling from the peroxide also can help "scratch" those itchy feelings that you get sometimes but just can't reach. I had a lot of ear infections as a kid, and that's what we used to do on a nightly basis. Lie on one side, pour a cap-full of peroxide in the ear, let it bubble for a few minutes, place a towel/wash rag on the ear and flip sides. Repeat on other side if double-ear ache.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 07 Jun 2013, 23:56

Kirkygirl wrote:Duckay, it may be a bit late but try using olive oil in your clogged ear. Just make sure JackSlack is there to keep your head up straight so it doesn't all run out. Drain out after 5 min.

+1

Assuming it's just earwax, I have a little pump action spray bottle of clarified olive oil for if my ears ever get clogged. Very handy.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 08 Jun 2013, 02:36

I'm going to the cinema this afternoon to watch Epic.

I'm contemplating making it a double bill because I've not been for a few weeks so I'm behind on my reviewing.

But what else should I watch? Full list here: http://www.cineworld.co.uk/whatson?cinema=38

List of what I've already seen here: http://keab42.tumblr.com/tagged/Keab-%40-The-Movies
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 08 Jun 2013, 03:34

I'd go with, tentatively, Behind the Candelabra. Mixed reviews, but it IS Soderbergh...
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 08 Jun 2013, 05:10

FAST 6 HOW IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 08 Jun 2013, 07:08

Now off to catch Epic, so you've got about 3 hours until it ends to get your votes in.

If it's still a tie when I come out after Epic I'll go to whatever is screening first from those choices. If the screenings start at the same time I'll make the cashier pick.

In hindsight I probably should have posted this last night so that more of you were awake to see this.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 08 Jun 2013, 08:23

Matt wrote:I like breasts.

-m

... are you expecting advice about that as well?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 08 Jun 2013, 09:51

Fast 6 starting as I walked out of epic. Damn you Met!
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 09 Jun 2013, 14:08

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:
Matt wrote:I like breasts.

-m

... are you expecting advice about that as well?

I'll ask the question that Matt wants to ask, but is apparently too afraid to:

How does a man go about showing women that he appreciates their breasts?
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 09 Jun 2013, 14:35

I don't recommend the way a drunk guy tried to tell a co-worker of mine when I worked in a bar last firday. "I think you are cute, and your breasts looks fucking awesome" but then again, it might work for some.
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
Pikachaos
First Video: Ballad of the Fanboy

Postby Pikachaos » 09 Jun 2013, 20:45

I'd just.... not. I mean, I've appreciated when men say it, but I KNOW it, and it just makes me uneasy. Basically, if a girl knows it, she didn't need the comment, and if she doesn't think so, then you saying something wont change her mind about it. I mean this goes for pretty much every comment, but with others at least it doesn't hurt to tell her her eyes are pretty.

Literally told to me in the nicest, kindest, non creepy fashion, and I still did not need the comment.

Complement her on something else. Well intentions aside. d:
DeviantArt - Cyberguardian
Twitter - Pikachaos
Tumblr - http://worldnegativeone.tumblr.com/

"Y-you'll have to kill your underwear." -Ghost Graham
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 09 Jun 2013, 20:54

Yeah, seriously, don't. Don't do it. Don't.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Return to “General Discussion”