The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Volafortis » 25 Jun 2013, 15:37

Scavenging Ooze has been as much as a $30-$40 card, seeing legacy and modern play, it's easily the best card of the promos, in terms of playability. That said, it's price is gonna tank, more than it already has, thanks to the greatly increased supply.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Jun 2013, 16:58

It could still be a $5 card... but we will have to see.

Also, I ran a draft today, I went boros, I had 18 creatures 14 of them 1-3 drops, 4 enchantments and a lightning helix.

My opening 7 had Boros Battle Shaper, and Wrecking Ogre and either holy mantel or lightning helix and madcap skills. Every Mull to 6 had holy mantel, lightning helix and the oger or the shaper. In 8 games, I drew 9 creatures.

Can one of you math wizards figure out the odds of that?

I think its one over INSANE!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 25 Jun 2013, 22:02

After playing the challenges, I have to say... they were very disappointing. The intro ones were so easy they were just plain stupid in my opinion. The 'hard' ones weren't much better, though they did require you to have more knowledge of the game's mechanics... not that the game would go without telling you exactly what the abilities do. The hardest one would be more difficult if they didn't telegraph exactly what you had to do by what was in your hand. It did take me a few tries, but I managed to get through it without too much trouble after I realized what 'poisonous' was.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 27 Jun 2013, 18:33

Whoo! I won a swiss!

I mean, I only won the last match because Graham ran out of time...
but I got to play against Graham!
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 27 Jun 2013, 18:36

Way to play Lurkon, did you open all those or get passed some. your deck was amazing, can we get a deck list here?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 27 Jun 2013, 18:49

I opened the foil Varolz and the Gyre Sage. I got passed the Corpsejack Menace PICK FOUR. and Jarad's Orders came in 6th or 7th pick.
I can't remember what was in pack one of RTR except it had Archweaver, which I wheeled. I also wheeled Golgari Charm.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 27 Jun 2013, 20:47

Pretty nice Golgari deck man, seemed like you played it out well too.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 28 Jun 2013, 08:26

Won 6 packs and pulled a Voice of Resurgence. Good profit is good. :D (In a 4 booster sealed)

EDIT: for those that care. Here's the deck and pool

Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 28 Jun 2013, 13:32

That's a sweet pull ZePancakes!

Although, I might have it beat...well, not personally, but tonight at my local FNM someone pulled a foil Voice of Resurgence in one of their second place prize packs and the whole store flipped out.

As for me, welp, came in last (second week in a row) but I did finally get to play my Simic standard deck for real against someone's Pro-Tour level deck while we were waiting for everyone to finish and went 1-1 (we ran out of time for a third game), plus someone gave me a bunch of cards they weren't bothered about as commiseration for coming last, so not a total loss!
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 28 Jun 2013, 20:17

I ended up playing my infinite reflection deck today and went 1-4. This wouldn't piss me off so much if it wasn't because the sole reason I lost most games was due to being either mana flooded or mana screwed. There were so many games where I just couldn't hit the third mana I needed, or drew into enough to hard-cast a Worldspine Wurm. Though in the case that happened, I survived long enough, and had a Wurm in hand, he ultimated Jace to get a wurm from my deck and play it, and kept one of my mana tapped down so I couldn't play it with Tamiyo. :(

Overall it was just a frustrating night.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 29 Jun 2013, 03:54

Can't Wear Hats wrote:That's a sweet pull ZePancakes!

Although, I might have it beat...well, not personally, but tonight at my local FNM someone pulled a foil Voice of Resurgence in one of their second place prize packs and the whole store flipped out.

The LGS I draft at has had a Voice pulled in both this and last weeks' drafts. Last week was a foil, this week was a non-foil. I also pulled a Voice from a booster box from the same store. Also, someone's prize pack from MMA draft (two weeks before) had a foil goyf. I think that store's just got exceptionally good luck for packs.

I missed FNM this week, and went 2-4-0 in the draft on Thursday. Drafted a pretty mediocre Boros deck, and my only win was against a Golgari deck that had worse synergy than my "well, I guess I can call that a deck."

Also, I picked up my M14 promo card (yay bonescythe sliver!), and got a promo Breaking/Entering as a door prize.
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 29 Jun 2013, 08:25

Now was there someone that was after Doubling Season? I have a MTGO one for trade. I may be confusing it for someone wanting the paper version.

Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 29 Jun 2013, 12:40

Finally gotten a Modern deck goign with the Green Tron deck (Burnwillows version). Super fun, although I keep making some silly mistkaes...
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 29 Jun 2013, 17:42

Dont you hate it when you feel like you are being cut because your colors just dont seem to be coming to you, but then you get back EVERYTHING you pass?

I got a Mirko Vosk with nothing else in the pack, so I decided sure maybe I try it, then got passed a second one :shock: So OK im all in on mill. but they dont seem to be flowing. I pass a keymaster rouge and a sages row pack two pick one. and get them both back... stuff like that the whole time. one 23rd black or blue followed by 4 playable, then nothing, then 3 playable, then a few crummy MAYBE side board cards in packs, then everything I passed in black an dblue came back... weird.

[–]Graham_LRR
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 29 Jun 2013, 19:35

It's even weirder when you get one of those "damn, someone's cutting my colors" decks and you just keep winning despite the terrible quality and consistency of your deck.

In other news, I'm currently taking an inventory of all of my cards. #BecauseIHaveNothingBetterToDo

edit:
found this terrifying art by this guy. I kinda wish he'd done more black cards.
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 30 Jun 2013, 04:48

Pack 2 of a phantom draft. 2 Cryptic Commands!

tamaness

Postby tamaness » 30 Jun 2013, 05:45

Alright, everything's inventoried, including my tokens. I still have to do my basic lands. I've also got my blue commons sorted alphabetically. I'll work on the other colors after I've got some (better) boxes to keep them in.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 01 Jul 2013, 03:15

thoughts on the new chandra

i dont like it personally. the +1 is slightly better than the last version of her, but that 0 ability does not seem that great to me. sure you can get lucky and draw something relevent to your current turn and you have the mana open but i just see too many spots where it helps.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 01 Jul 2013, 03:35

I think she's pretty good. Her +1 is a strict upgrade to the last Chandra's if I'm not mistaken. The only thing that would wreck it is Witchbane Orb, since the first damage thing isn't a may ability.

The 0 is actually pretty good. It gives red deck psudo-card advantage. At the very least, it presents options. I admit it's not that great, but I do think it could be worse. If it IS something that isn't relevant, then you get it out of the way to get something that hopefully is. If it is, then you got it a turn earlier... though you have to play it right away.

Her -7 is the worst one in my opinion. Like, I'm sure there's a way to break it, especially in old formats... like anything with storm. But in standard, what's the best case scenario in red? Most of the higher-cost stuff that's really good is too slow for red decks. You could go into other colors at that point, but even then... it just doesn't have the 'win the game' feel like some others have. It does have potential, but i'm not sure what would be done with it.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Jul 2013, 03:58

yeah, unless there is going to be some sort of "return a card form exile, or Play from exile" mechanic in the set its kinda meh... the +1 is good though.

[–]Graham_LRR
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 01 Jul 2013, 04:55

+1 is definitely better than old Chandra.
0 is really situational. I can see it being good in really agressive mono-red decks that go into "heart of the cards" mode pretty early.
-7 seems... broken at best, and pretty underwhelming the rest of the time.

I'd run her.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 01 Jul 2013, 04:59

i have had some to think and maybe she is a little better than i first thought. if you +1 her the turn she comes down and then 0 on the next turn at the start of your main then i can see the value there.
also think i want to stick to 2 colors if i am playing her.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 01 Jul 2013, 12:28

Hm, round 1 of my current draft... I keep a questionable hand, opponent keeps... during my upkeep my opponent just concedes the match...

I'm really not sure whether to be happy I won the match or to be sad I didn't get to play (mostly the latter though)

Also, since it's 8-4 I didn't really win anything yet...
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 01 Jul 2013, 13:07

maybe he got some money cards or had to go? MTGO doesn't let you drop until the first round starts, and conceding is a lot better for your opponent than just letting it time out.
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 01 Jul 2013, 13:17

I quite like the Chandra, seems like a pretty good control card, actually.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”