The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Jul 2013, 19:20

I was visiting my parents for the long weekend of fuck yeah eagle day or whatever LRR calls it and one afternoon the girls were going to play in the pool with grandpa and grandma and my wife wanted to take a nap so I said "ok Im going to the card store"

I went to the store where I restarted playing and first of all the owners greeted me as soon as I walked in the door and said "HEY! man I haven't seen you since memorial day, are you visiting your parents again?" which is awesome but anyways.

They are playing casual commander and I figure someone will have a spare deck so I ask "anyone have a deck without too much tutor I could borrow? Everyone looks stunned that you would have a commander deck without tutor... anyways,

the store owner says "here this has mana ramp but you wont have to worry about too much just some put a creature on top of your deck stuff, please dont riffle shuffle"
I say "dont worry I would never riffle another mans cards"
he says "good 'cause thats like a $5000 decks"

after fumbling and almost dropping the box I say "is there any non english?"

he says just a few, so I set the deck down and shuffle through them, I see a couple of recent cards, I ask about them he confirms, I come to a German tundra I say "wow, tundra?" he says "yeah" I say "I didnt know they printed anything other than english that early, he says "thats the first german card you are holding there its about $400"

I go to set it on the counter, someone opens the door, it falls off the counter, onto the floor and under the display case, In my mind it took about 20 minutes for that to happen. he looks at me, I look back, he says "no worries" moves the cards to the next cabinet and with one hand leans the cabinet with like $1500 in cards forward reaches under gets the card. I hand the deck back to him and say "ill just find another deck" he says "dont worry you can play it its fine"

So I end up playing with someones unsleaved tokens deck and getting stuck with no green source and 6 green spells including 3 ramps and 2 fogs. No one attacked me I kept passing. I drew a forest like turn 20 with maybe 10 or 12 land on the board tossed it down on the table, everyone around starts clapping. I rampant growth, next turn I Cultivate, and Ranger's Path, The turn after that I Martial Coup for something like 15, clearing the board of everything but my guys, everyone was at less than 10 life, so first I attack the only guy who had attacked me, then I top decked a titanic growth and killed the other two.

No one complained that I won.

Then Friday nights came on, everyone was laughing, then I explained that those were the guys who got me into bump in the night, everyone laughed even more when I explained my current plan (MUUUAAAAAHHHAHAHA) So they are going to take up a collection of bump in the nights for me (I dont need anymore)

I love that shop, I wish I lived closer. My current shop is ok but its not as good as that place.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 09 Jul 2013, 22:14

Oh hey, MTGO's cube is back.

Also, Rise of the Eldrazi drafts.

so much squee.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 09 Jul 2013, 22:37

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-

I'm in Japan but hopefully I can get in a draft!
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 09 Jul 2013, 22:41

So, I'm trying to work on a weird Izzet control deck based on something Cam tweeted. I call it Super Saver Control. Was hoping to get some feedback for it before FNM this week, since this might be the only chance I have to play it. Need to figure out what to cut down on, and what to adjust since it's way too big.

http://mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/738505
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 10 Jul 2013, 01:35

What's the deck trying to do, Kapol?
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 10 Jul 2013, 08:06

seems to me the plan is , chip away at his life 2 at a time with guttersnipe while you counter all their stuff. . electromancer gives that plan a boost and then finish off with aetherling.

personally i would take out Arcane Melee, stolen identity, last thoughts and Stolen Goods

the cipher cards make no sense here. the only realistic target for them is aetherling but if he resolves then you are likely going to win anyway since he is so hard to deal with right now. the 27 land also seems overkill when running so much card draw. this deck only needs 7 mana which you should easily manage with the usual 24 lands.

i would also run turn//burn maindeck.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Jul 2013, 11:33

Actually, that's not the plan for the deck. The plan is to make all of my spells very cheap using Arcane Melee and Electromancer. With Arcane Melee on the field alone, my Divinations become one-mana draw-two spells. Guttersnipe acts as a way to actually start dishing out damage once my spells become cheap enough. Stolen Identity acts as removal for legendary creatures, and gets me another beater if I need it. It's true last-thoughts isn't that great, but normally it will become a one-mana draw-one with Cipher onto Atherling by the time I use it. And Stolen Goods is in there because I think Stolen Goods is hilarious. It's at 27 land due to the fact it's currently a 75 card deck. I'm trying to cut it down, which would include cutting 3 land I think.

Turn/Burn isn't good removal for this deck. I normally want to either keep things off the field, or bounce it all back with Aetherize. Five-mana kill a creature isn't that amazing here. It's mostly good against Thragtusk, and I'm not going to build around one creature.

The deck was inspired by Cam's tweet that read:

"Had a drink; sleeving up Arcane Melee for Standard."

So I built an entire deck around Arcane Melee. It makes a lot of the cards better (my syncopate is now for four when I only paid two for it). It's also meant to use enough spells to offset the fact the opponent benefits too.
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 10 Jul 2013, 12:42

Kapol wrote:Stolen Identity acts as removal for legendary creatures

Not with the new legendary rules, unfortunately. The new rules state that each player can have one of a named legendary creature, and if you do cast another one you choose which of yours to keep (the same thing applies to the Planeswalker rule). Since using Stolen Identity gives you a copy of the creature, your opponent's legendary creature creature isn't affected under the new rules.
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Jul 2013, 13:05

The legendary rule changes doesn't happen until the 13th. I only intend to use this deck once, this Friday. In other words the current legendary rule should still be in effect when I use this deck, and that use of Stolen Identity will still work.
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 10 Jul 2013, 13:06

Kapol wrote:The legendary rule changes doesn't happen until the 13th. I only intend to use this deck once, this Friday. In other words the current legendary rule should still be in effect when I use this deck, and that use of Stolen Identity will still work.

Ah, nice! Getting in under the door before it shuts ;)
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Jul 2013, 13:12

More like I hadn't considered that, and things just managed to work out that way. :P But yea, even without the removal possibility, I could still use it to copy Guttersnipe and get more value from spells. If I manage to get SI off cheap (which is possible with the Arcane Melee and Electromancers), copy a Guttersnipe, cipher onto a Aetherling, and hit them to make another Guttersnipe, that should be game for my opponent. The only thing I realized that's made me sad is that I can't use it to remove Geist since it does target.

Another realization I've had about Cipher. Cipher and Aetherling don't play well together. The bounce effect of Aetherling means the Cipher spells would vanish. Of course, for most, being able to play them twice for the price of one is worth it. Especially once they start dropping in price (pay one, cipher a Last Thoughts onto Aetherling and draw, swing and draw again.)
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 10 Jul 2013, 15:50

ah didn't realize it was just a one shot deal.
korvys

Postby korvys » 10 Jul 2013, 16:48

You know what works well with cheap spells and Cipher copies? Nivmagus Elemental. And Nivix Cyclops, cause you cast the Cipher copies.

keybase.io
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 10 Jul 2013, 16:56

korvys wrote:You know what works well with cheap spells and Cipher copies? Nivmagus Elemental.

Yep, I had that happen against me, it was startling.

korvys wrote: And Nivix Cyclops, cause you cast the Cipher copies.

nope, it doenst turn off the the defender unless its cast precombat, or rather you cant use it because it cant attack until after the attacks have been declared. and cipher cant go off on your opponents turn so you cant make even bigger blockers.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 10 Jul 2013, 16:57

Sadly for you to have cast the copies of a cipher spell you have to have already done damage, which makes it kind of moot for the cyclopes. Still works for the elemental tho.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
korvys

Postby korvys » 10 Jul 2013, 17:23

Oh, right. So it works, but only after it would matter. :(

Well, it might still be ok. He's got a big butt to slow down aggro, and likes cheap spells. Throw a Fling in there, and you could throw 7 or 10 damage at them unexpectedly (fling will not trigger the ability sadly).

Edit: Ok, I am totally making an Nivix Cyclops / Fling deck when I get home.

keybase.io
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Jul 2013, 17:48

korvys wrote:You know what works well with cheap spells and Cipher copies? Nivmagus Elemental. And Nivix Cyclops, cause you cast the Cipher copies.

I considered the Elemental. But most of the spells I'm casting, I want to let resolve. I only have one anyways. Plus, this is a spell-based deck. That's the only real way Melee works in my favor. Every non-instant/sorcery makes Melee worse. That's also why I wouldn't throw the Cyclops in. A big butt like that isn't going to save me for long against an army. Thinking about it, I might cut down on the control spells to put it at 60, maybe take out an electromancer and snipe since I'm going to have a ton of card draw anyways. To replace them, I'll put in a full playset of Aetherize. It should help buy me time, and that's what I need.

However... Fling could be fun. Swing in with aetherling for 9, then pay 1 mana to Fling it at my opponent for game. That would end them even if they had 20 life if I had a Guttersnipe out.

Lemegeton wrote:ah didn't realize it was just a one shot deal.

Yea, this was more of a one-time deck than anything. I saw Cam's tweet and went 'Ermahgurd Arcane Melee.' I have packed like six or seven of that useless freaking card. Including a foil. :/ So I'm going to try getting SOME use from it.
korvys

Postby korvys » 10 Jul 2013, 17:57

Aetherling only hits for 8, unless you can pump it up some other way.

keybase.io
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Jul 2013, 18:11

Shush you. I math. >_> Not sure where I got the extra one from. Unless I intended to kill him instead of deal damage.
korvys

Postby korvys » 10 Jul 2013, 19:08

You must let us know how the deck goes, and more importantly, if anyone plays Ruric Thar against you.

keybase.io
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 11 Jul 2013, 02:25

what do you guys think of primeval bounty. re-working my jund deck and i am torn on this card. it obviously does nothing the turn it comes down but i can ramp into it with gyre sages and i think its a good card to get you back to a board presence after a wrath effect hits. i also heavily use counters in the deck and will be running kalonian hydra in this deck.
but i just dont know if its efficient enough and does enough for 6 mana to be viable in standard.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 11 Jul 2013, 03:28

Eldrazi Drafts? Oh god, just when I'm going away for holidays.
Maybe I can squeeze one in tonight... .
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 11 Jul 2013, 04:40

I believe they come in on the 17th alongside the cube.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 11 Jul 2013, 07:26

Oh yeah, that's actually good. I'm back by the 21th, so I'll be able to snag a couple of them probably.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 11 Jul 2013, 15:57

Eldrazi is a crazy fun draft format. At least, it is if you like slow games that build up into insanity.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”