The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby plummeting_sloth » 09 Jul 2013, 17:54

Master Gunner wrote:Second impressions: It turns out he named his kids after Lex Luther and Luke Skywalker. Definitely my brother. I also met the other one today. Cat guy, so I like him too.

Only downside is that they're both Leaf's fans. Now, poor decisions run in our family, so I can understand that, but I certainly can't support that.

Hehe... I'm reminded of that Demetri Martin bit when he was a kid and being disappointed that a "cat person" was not nearly as cool as he had hoped it would be.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Jul 2013, 18:28

You're halfway to a Corner Gas replacement series.
Grickles
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Grickles » 10 Jul 2013, 05:59

I skipped the entire thread, what did I miss?
LOST IN SPAAAAACE
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 10 Jul 2013, 06:22

A bit of this, a bit of that...
empath

Postby empath » 10 Jul 2013, 07:30

So, in the last couple of days, I've been getting a little concerned about the available space on my hard drive (hit my personal "10% free" threshold back on Monday), so last night I watched Spaced and started uninstalling stuff. Got 200Gb freed up last night, and decided to dig through Windoz' 'Programs and Features' to see what else I can unburden myself of.

As I was trimming away old games I never play, and other stuff I never use anymore, I came across a "Dual-Core Optimizer", by AMD...

...and I run a Intel quad-core CPU... Image
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jul 2013, 04:27

My cousin, who was born with Cystic Fibrosis and as such has been deteriorating over the past 30 years is at a point where she wont live another few months without a lung transplant. They told her parents when she was born, enjoy her now because CF children dont live past 5 years old. They told her husband 10 years ago, embrace the time you have with her because CF patients dont live more than 25 years. 4 years ago they told her daughter love your mommy now because she will be in heaven soon. She has fought so hard and beaten all the predictions, now she has one more hurdle.

I was informed about a half hour ago that she got the call, she is en route to the hospital to get her new (slightly used) breathing bags she should be in surgery in the next hour and recovering from the transplant for the next few weeks.

Since you guys are my family, and she is my family, that makes her yours family too, strong thoughts of hope and healing as well as all your prayers are requested.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 12 Jul 2013, 04:47

That's incredible. I hope her winning streak continues. All the best hopes for her.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

TheGhostOfZero
First Video: The Job

Postby TheGhostOfZero » 12 Jul 2013, 04:48

As little as the prayers of a madman like me are worth, I offer them to your cousin wholeheartedly and without hesitation.
/fingergun
Zero

Geoff_B wrote:I wish to complain. That last picture is not Kittens, it's the son of Sauron!
Mister Fiend wrote:Does that mean I get to violence someone? Please say yes.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 12 Jul 2013, 04:49

Fayili wrote:That's incredible. I hope her winning streak continues. All the best hopes for her.

Ditto on that.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

empath

Postby empath » 12 Jul 2013, 05:48

ZePancakes wrote:
Fayili wrote:That's incredible. I hope her winning streak continues. All the best hopes for her.

Ditto on that.

Amen.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 12 Jul 2013, 06:08

empath wrote:So, in the last couple of days, I've been getting a little concerned about the available space on my hard drive (hit my personal "10% free" threshold back on Monday), so last night I watched Spaced and started uninstalling stuff. Got 200Gb freed up last night, and decided to dig through Windoz' 'Programs and Features' to see what else I can unburden myself of.

As I was trimming away old games I never play, and other stuff I never use anymore, I came across a "Dual-Core Optimizer", by AMD...

I know I'm late but I'm here now! NEVER USE ANY OPTIMISER! They're utter shit and tend to take more resources than they save. I used one. Once.

Once.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Jul 2013, 08:08

Lord Hosk wrote:They told her parents when she was born, enjoy her now because CF children dont live past 5 years old. They told her husband 10 years ago, embrace the time you have with her because CF patients dont live more than 25 years. 4 years ago they told her daughter love your mommy now because she will be in heaven soon.

I'm pretty sure now that doctors just say this to goad people on.

Well, sent one up to the Big Guy for ya.
empath

Postby empath » 12 Jul 2013, 09:31

Darkobra wrote:
empath wrote:So, in the last couple of days, I've been getting a little concerned about the available space on my hard drive (hit my personal "10% free" threshold back on Monday), so last night I watched Spaced and started uninstalling stuff. Got 200Gb freed up last night, and decided to dig through Windoz' 'Programs and Features' to see what else I can unburden myself of.

I know I'm late but I'm here now! NEVER USE ANY OPTIMISER! They're utter shit and tend to take more resources than they save. I used one. Once.

Once.

Oh, GAWD - I don't use it; if I saw that show up in Task Manager's processes I'd go on a purifying jihad against bloatware.

...I'd just like to figure out how it got onto my hard drive :lol:

Oh, and I freed up 300Gb of space, without even touching all the image macros & reaction gifs in my /b/ folder. ;)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jul 2013, 09:32

Metcarfre wrote:I'm pretty sure now that doctors just say this to goad people on.

Well, sent one up to the Big Guy for ya.

In the 80's when she was born, the life expectancy for a child born with CF really was 5 years... every time she has gotten close to the "end age" there has been a new treatment or medication that has pushed the edge.

When she got married and they were talking to her doctor about having children he said "well as of right now, I do not know of any CF patients with children, however there are also no CF patients over the age of 23."

She is currently in surgery, we will hear soon.

If everything goes smoothly she should be able stable for another twenty plus years... we are so looking forward to this.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
empath

Postby empath » 12 Jul 2013, 13:55

She IS a living prototype, you might say - pushing the limits of human endurance (apparently by force of will) and goading medical science to catch up with her! ;)

I really look forward reading mainstream media articles when I'm a really old man (of about twice my forty-odd years) of how <Lord H's cousin> was a landmark and icon in the successful conquest of cystic fibrosis...(hey, I'm a dreamer sometimes *shrug*)
CaptainEnder7
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby CaptainEnder7 » 12 Jul 2013, 14:12

Wasn't really sure where I should put this, so it goes here!

Saturday and Sunday I'm testing for my Shodan (first degree black belt) in Shotokan karate. This is coming at the summit of a lot of training. I'm wicked excited and nervous and dreading all the damage I'm about to inflict on myself. Wish me luck!

Also, Lord Hosk, sending good thoughts your way.

"Ok, so, some sort of well-dressed ostrich. What's the next move?"

"CaptainEnder7: Space Asshole and Rogue Space Pooper" - Kathleen (and Graham) Commercial
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 12 Jul 2013, 14:26

...?

Hope it goes well!
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
empath

Postby empath » 12 Jul 2013, 14:43

That's S.H.O.D.A.N., you n00b. ;) (though I hardly ever have any complaint about the display of that wonderful artwork)

Cpt. Ender? I'm focusing my ki and directing good mojo your way throughout the weekend - I hope it will aid you in your incipient success!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jul 2013, 16:03

Well the donor lungs were "mishandled" I dont know if that means in transport or in removal but for whatever reason they were "not fit for implantation."

so she continues to wait.

[–]Graham_LRR
empath

Postby empath » 12 Jul 2013, 16:26

Oh well...

...mind you, I'm still holding onto the aforementioned hopes!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Jul 2013, 16:56

CaptainEnder7 wrote:Wasn't really sure where I should put this, so it goes here!

Saturday and Sunday I'm testing for my Shodan (first degree black belt) in Shotokan karate. This is coming at the summit of a lot of training. I'm wicked excited and nervous and dreading all the damage I'm about to inflict on myself. Wish me luck!

Also, Lord Hosk, sending good thoughts your way.

Good luck! I only ever got as far as first-level brown belt and was tremendously nervous with the stern Japanese guy who had come over to test us.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 12 Jul 2013, 17:04

My black belt test was land a single punch into my sensei. It was a long, long fight. And damn he knew how to punish.

So yeah! You're gonna have a lot of fun! Don't panic over the results! Just enjoy the moment!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 14 Jul 2013, 13:36

It's quiet here, too quiet...
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 14 Jul 2013, 14:30

...My plan is working.
The Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby The Mimm » 15 Jul 2013, 03:30

*pokes head around corner* Y'ello? Anyone in?
Life's like a movie, write your own ending,
Keep believing, keep pretending

Return to “General Discussion”