The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Jul 2013, 15:54

Does anyone know a website where I can recreate my pool without having to type in the cards one by one?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Jul 2013, 17:46

Elite Arcanist, Silence.

On your opponents upkeep, Tap one silence.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 Jul 2013, 22:26

Looking back, I'm actually very, very glad I lost my last match of the earlier mentioned prerelease. The reason why? It's thanks to that that I won a new playmat. The store had one person come down during each round and ask a question for a prize (things like sleeves, which I needed too but sadly didn't know the answer to). I was one of the few people not focusing on my match when she asked the question... "Who wants this playmat?" My brain processed it for a moment and I called out "me!" followed by a few other people. But I ended up getting it, and it ended up being the very nice Banisher Priest. So even when I lost, I won. :D

Also, I need some advice. Should I sell cards that I do want to use now and try trading for them when the price goes down or not? I got an Archangel of Thune, a Garruk, and a couple of Primeval Bounties (one from trading). They're all worth a bit of money right now. But last time I did that was with Voice of Resurgence... which then rose $30+ in price. So I'm just not sure. :(
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 14 Jul 2013, 04:09

I'm gonna have to remember that trick Hosk, could come in handy...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 14 Jul 2013, 15:01

Just finished my pre-release, which was just pack after pack of garbage. Only decent rare I opened was a Ratchet Bomb and a Seraph of the Sword, with a mythic Shadowborn Demon thing that would have just been a removal spell any time I could have cast it.

Cobbled together a blue/white fliers with a minor enchantment subtheme thanks to some pacifisms and Claustrophobia plus an Ajani's Chosen.

Went 1/2/1 which was a little sad since if I had won the last game I'd stand a good chance of being in prizes. Sadly my final opponent slammed Garruk and it was GG from there.

Most infuriating moment was that the first game that resulted in a tie, my opponent won his game of the two off of Tome Scour which was a pretty bitter pill to swallow
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Jul 2013, 16:07

My prerelease was very disappointing and I went white blue flyers with enchantments too.. funny.

my trouble wasnt not having bad cards it was that I had 6 blue and white cards below 3 drop, Two merfolk spys, two Divine Favor, a pacifism and a cancel.

Path of bravery was amazing for me.

[–]Graham_LRR
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 14 Jul 2013, 16:38

I had an okay prerelease played 2 two-headed sealed going 2-3 and 4-0-1
and 2 regular sealed going 3-3 and 4-2 losing to number 1 and 2
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 14 Jul 2013, 19:06

Went 4-1 at a prerelease, and easily could've 5-0'd had my lands not screwed me over in round 2. Crazy amounts of black removal and threats, paired with blue flyers and a Memory Adept. Good times.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 14 Jul 2013, 20:02

I just threw together an Izzet deck and had about 6 separate counter spells that I was thinking of throwing in but I didn't have room. Then I got whispers of Cam saying, "How do you play magic without counter spells?"
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 14 Jul 2013, 20:03

Lord Hosk wrote:My prerelease was very disappointing and I went white blue flyers with enchantments too.. funny.

my trouble wasnt not having bad cards it was that I had 6 blue and white cards below 3 drop, Two merfolk spys, two Divine Favor, a pacifism and a cancel.

Path of bravery was amazing for me.

Yea, I think a single merfolk piker was literally my only 2 drop creature. It was uhg.

Just think, if we had managed to work out teleportation to do that 2HG business we could have piloted terrible UW fliers TOGETHER
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Jul 2013, 20:27

My THG was just bad. it was three rounds each one game, with a guy who was pretty good at RTR block but was just too agressive, he just kept wanting to attack and I kept being like "dude, they have better blocks just hold on" We didnt mesh well.

game one my partner got HORRIBLY mana screwed, as in, he kept a two lander with 4 three drops and a 4 drop, and discarded 5 times before getting his third land on turn 10, so I am there with my saporlings chump blocking until they got flyers out and killed us.

Game two I got flooded and didnt have the Sporemound but we still drew against them.

[–]Graham_LRR
Jenelmo

Postby Jenelmo » 15 Jul 2013, 11:11

It is very important in THG to get a partner that you can play with.
They guy i have been playing with in the last 8 THG prereleases is a friend who often plays control decks in all construcked formats(Legacy, Modern, Standard) and i often play agro/midrange so we usually make one semi-control deck and one agro-midrange as that often fits with the colours so we play most of our good cards without the decks fighting for the cards
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Jul 2013, 12:44

Yeah, I wish I would have skipped the THG and just gone with the second sealed event. oh well.

[–]Graham_LRR
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 17 Jul 2013, 00:37

hey all. i am playing a modern GPT in a few weeks and my modern experience is quite small. I am working on the deck and was wondering what are some of the obvious sideboard cards for a modern deck. or to put it another way what are some of the common archetypes in modern that i will need an answer for. my colors are R/B with a tiny white splash
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 17 Jul 2013, 00:40

Some kind of artifact destruction would be good, because in my experience that's big in Modern in some form or another (in those colours, maybe Vandalblast, though maybe someone else can come up with a better suggestion). Graveyard hate might be a good idea, too (something like Grafdigger's Cage).
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 17 Jul 2013, 07:24

Actually, I'd recommend Torpor Orb as sideboard tech. The decks to beat are Pod and Twin, and it shuts both of those right down.
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 17 Jul 2013, 08:00

Torpor Orb not an option as i need some ETB triggers myself.
grafdiggers cage is def on the list.
how fast is modern as a format?? is it worth running cards like merciless eviction??
Jenelmo

Postby Jenelmo » 17 Jul 2013, 12:11

Grafdigger's Cage also hits pod decks as they can't search.
What kind of deck do you play as it would help to find sideboard cards that does not hit your deck
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 17 Jul 2013, 12:59

its r/b splash white vampires. still undecided on some of the spots but def running skeletal vampire, falkenrath aristrocat, bloodline keeper, malakir bloodwitch. and legions initiative and sorin lord of innistrad.

want to use initiative to dodge wrath effects and also flicker my team and use my own wrath effect. and it also abuses malakir and skeletal. prob going to run stromkirk captain too.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 17 Jul 2013, 17:20

ROE and Cube drafts start today! I'm waiting till tonight to get in a draft but I'm pumped. Going to watch numots run at them to make sure I have an inkling on what to do rather than 'draft big stuff acquire ramp'
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 Jul 2013, 21:09

RTR block phantom sealed.
Domri Rade, Gideon, Voice, Desecration Demon, Lotleth Troll, Foil abrupt decay, Mirko, Pontiff of Blight. grull guildgate, selesnia guildgate, two izzet cluestones and a grull cluestone. (sigh)

I played against two Aurelia, two Savageborn Hydra one of which was foil and a few other good cards...

I am convinced that Wizards stacks the decks so that people will think the packs are better and will do none phantom stuff.

[–]Graham_LRR
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 18 Jul 2013, 04:25

I just played against THE most unfun deck today, he had 4 mnemonic walls, counterspells, burn and the instant grabber with rebound. I think it's win con is to time me out (which it did).

Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 18 Jul 2013, 06:32

I...would rather like to see that decklist...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 18 Jul 2013, 07:13

No, I shall not let it happen again, haha. Played another 4-3-2-2 after and won that event, levelers are a decent archetype. But with Time of Heroes? Golden. I call it 'I like Big Butts and I cannot lie" as even without time of heroes they do gain some big butts ~6 toughness.

Deck and board:

Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 19 Jul 2013, 04:18

so my game shop rang me to say i was one of the winners in a raffle and i now have the option to buy a box of modern masters for £145 /$220
what do you guys think, i am not exactly flush with cash at the mo. do you think the odds are in my favor of making my money back and even making a profit.
to use a magic phrase. "is this a windmill slam"??

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”