Brewsters Millions

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Would you take:

2.3 million dollars today
42%
spend 65 million dollars in 30 days for the big pay out.
58%

Total votes: 24
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Brewsters Millions

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Jul 2013, 18:07

Brewsters millions the 30/300 million adjusted for inflation.

Rules.

If you take the 2.3 million today, 677.2 million would go to charities of your choosing, with a evil law firm getting 35.5 million

If you take the 65 million you must spend it all within 30 days.

You may donate no more than 5% to charity.
You may lose no more than 5% gambling.
You may not own any assets at the end of the 30 days that you didn't own "yesterday"
You must pay anyone you hire a fair amount for the services they provide.

At the end of 30 days if you "waste" the 65 million you will receive an additional 650,000,000 to do with as you please.

ETA: if you attempt the waste 65 million plan, and fail the 650,000,000 goes to the Evil law firm to distribute to whatever charity they want and they get a 5% cut (and those charities would probably be their own endowments for themselves BS cause they are EVIL. I forgot that part of the plot.

ETA2: rule You may not intentionally destroy the items you acquire.
Last edited by Lord Hosk on 21 Jul 2013, 21:23, edited 2 times in total.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Re: Brewsters Millions

Postby ElFuzzy » 19 Jul 2013, 18:15

Go big or go home, 65 Million.

Dontate 5% to charity, burn 5% in gambling in underground gladiator mice fights. Chuck a million at LRR because WEEEEEEEEEE. Then with the remaining money and time, I have thought of 2 options. Hit up the black market and burn every last dollar in an attempt to gain access to the Illuminati OR find the humblest, or stupidest kickstarter and dump the rest into that. Imagine if someone's 4th rate video game or crackpot invention got 60+million investment.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Jul 2013, 18:34

The trouble with the kickstarter is you get "rewards" that would be a return, and giving a million dollars to LRR would require you to get a million dollars in value from them for the 30 days.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 19 Jul 2013, 18:36

ALL the slow motion dropping.

As a terciary plan, go to the black market, buy 64.5Million dollars of misc stuff and 500k worth of explosives. Detonate and enjoy.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 19 Jul 2013, 18:38

The 65 mil option of obviously a lot more fun, so I'm going to go with that one.

Approximately 65% of Canadians drink coffee. The population of Canada is currently estimated at 35,220,000 (rounded).

That means about 22,893,000 people drink coffee in Canada.

65 mil divided by ~22,893,000 works out to about $2.84. That's about enough for a large coffee and a muffin from Tim Hortons.

I buy every coffee-drinking person in Canada a muffin and a coffee.

Whether or not they want it, they can suck it. it's happening.

I contend this is not charity because 1. it is not a legitimate charity. 2. No one has asked for this or even wants me to do this, I'm just doing it. 3. It won't really have a measurable impact on anyone's life.

However, if this idea counts as charity, then I take the money and buy ~2900 stock 2014 Ford Mustangs and ship them to Europe on barges. Then I orchestrate a series of "accidents" which causes all of the barges to sink into the ocean. The leftover money is shipping costs and funding these "accidents."
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 19 Jul 2013, 18:43

...I....I would punk out. If I knew the big prize was going to the evil law firm, I might be compelled to take a chance, but telling me that huge amount would go to charity? I could survive quite comfortably on $2.3M usd up here for a LOONG time...

zyxst, however, is now in 'brainstorm mode' - pull all the tricks from the movies: buy expensive stamps and MAIL them; rent everything.

She's got some boundary-pushing ideas though: would say, hire Prince or Paul McCartney to write and perform a theme song for one's YouTube Let's Play channel - would that be legit? Would having the usage rights to the piece of music be considered an "asset"?

Or hell, would a Steam account fall under that? I doubt even if you bought EVERYTHING Steam offers AT FULL PRICE, that'd break even two million, but still; there's nothing physical...

But yeah, Kickstarters would be a nice trick - throw a million or two at each one - the high-end benefits are usually intangibles like 'a tour of the dev studio' or 'dinner with the creators' - then you just give away the t-shirt and copy of the game & artbook/soundtrack, etc. All that would easily slip under the 5% for charity...

...unless Kickstarter funding itself would be seen as a charity...

*blows whistle*
Hey, ump! Can we get a ruling here?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Jul 2013, 19:10

I'm too conservative financially. I'm nowhere near confident enough I could satisfy the conditions of the 65 million to pass on the 2.3. Especially in my neck of the woods, $2.3 million would easily satisfy me for the rest of my life.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
pokute
First Video: Phailhaüs

Postby pokute » 19 Jul 2013, 19:18

Wasting 65 million dollars in 30 days is extremely simple. Hire a lawyer to contact an ad agency to immediately start an advertising campaign for whatever message you like. Hell, you can probably blow 65 million in one week.
Last edited by pokute on 19 Jul 2013, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Jul 2013, 19:21

Im going to rule that Kickstarter itself is not a charity. The trouble with KickStarter is that you get your benifits later, like "get a physical copy of the game signed by the entire team" that would come to you after the 30 days so it coming would be an asset. You cant donate something you dont have yet.

No Kickstarters if you get a reward.

I would say the rights to the song would be an asset, however small. UNLESS you had them record it under a creative commons agreement. Then you wouldnt really own it, everyone would.

**Ill ALLOW IT!

I think steam everything would also count as a asset, there is nothing "physical" but you do get the continued value.

[–]Graham_LRR
auberginequeen

Postby auberginequeen » 19 Jul 2013, 19:28

Unfortunately around these parts real estate is pretty expensive. Maybe not right here (houses here go for about $300 - $500k) but where my parents live the houses around there go for around $1.2 mil. They're not even that large or remarkable and usually they require at least another mil in repairs. That's what the location does to you.

If I had $650mil or even $65mil though I don't see myself being able to spend even a substantial fraction of it. I'd probably go around funding stuff like after-school programs and homeless shelters and the like. Maybe fund people with big dreams but empty wallets. See if we can create some jobs. Maybe help out some small, dedicated environmentalist groups. I guess that's what most of the nice people with money do but my opinion is generally once you are able to support yourself and secure your future, then there is no better use for money than to improve the lives of others.

I could definitely get by on $2.3mil but why not take the large sum and see what good you can do with it?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 19 Jul 2013, 19:40

*ring-ring*

"Hey, Stewart? Yeah, I'm holding a little shindig in about two weeks; could you find it in your heart to bury the hatchet for a couple of hours to play at it? You Gordon and Andy would each get ten million for it..."

:twisted:

Yeah...with more thought, I could definitely *waste* the $65...I may have to change my vote, even with the charity angle (a LOT of that big prize would still end up going to philanthropy, to be honest...)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Jul 2013, 19:46

auberginequeen wrote:If I had $650mil or even $65mil though I don't see myself being able to spend even a substantial fraction of it. I'd probably go around funding stuff like after-school programs and homeless shelters and the like. Maybe fund people with big dreams but empty wallets. See if we can create some jobs. Maybe help out some small, dedicated environmentalist groups.

If you took the 65 million to spend in 30 days only 3.5 million could go to "funding stuff" because it would be considered charity. You wouldnt get the 650 million the evil lawyers would get it.

[–]Graham_LRR
auberginequeen

Postby auberginequeen » 19 Jul 2013, 20:06

Lord Hosk wrote:
auberginequeen wrote:If I had $650mil or even $65mil though I don't see myself being able to spend even a substantial fraction of it. I'd probably go around funding stuff like after-school programs and homeless shelters and the like. Maybe fund people with big dreams but empty wallets. See if we can create some jobs. Maybe help out some small, dedicated environmentalist groups.

If you took the 65 million to spend in 30 days only 3.5 million could go to "funding stuff" because it would be considered charity. You wouldnt get the 650 million the evil lawyers would get it.

My comment was intended as hypothetical and aimed at those who said that they would take the $2.3mil because they didn't need any more. My point was that $650mil (or even, hypothetically, $65mil, if given to me under a different set of circumstances) is something with which you can do a lot of good.

As for the $65mil in this context I've already decided to either destroy thousands of mustangs or buy everyone Timmies. :twisted: Muhahaha. (See previous posts)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Jul 2013, 20:52

I see... Carry on.

[–]Graham_LRR
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 20 Jul 2013, 04:34

I don't actually have the money yet... Hmmmm
So I assume I'm basically writing checks that will clear after the 30 days.

Ok. I'd buy 65 million dollars worth in TV ad space then run adverts for
http://placeholderurl.com/
Sit back and enjoy.
^( " )^
winner!
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 20 Jul 2013, 04:41

Or purchase 65mil of elite sand castle builders, fly them all to California to build the longest/largest sand castle ever.

Rent building space in all of the major us cities for a month. Glue the furniture to the ceiling. Open the AGA anti-gravity association.
^( " )^
winner!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 20 Jul 2013, 05:16

I think you're missing the point. $65million donation to desert bus.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
auberginequeen

Postby auberginequeen » 20 Jul 2013, 06:33

I would think Desert Bus counts as a charity.
General Michi
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby General Michi » 20 Jul 2013, 06:40

There are countless ways I could "waste" 65 million. For eg: I'm guaranteed 650m if I leave the it all on the street.
We put the brick on the accelerator.

Image Image

Twitter Steam Tumblblar
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 20 Jul 2013, 06:52

I'm either far too practical or far too dull, but I'd just take the $2.3 million. As much as I'd love to spend a month as a psuedo-Dengler, I don't think I could go through all that money in time.

Also, $2.3 million? Sweet, invest that, live conservatively, never worry about money again. $650 million? I'd be dead within a week, probably from falling off my second solid gold yacht onto the hard unrelenting ground of my private island because it turned out the first solid gold yacht wasn't seaworthy.
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 20 Jul 2013, 07:55

^( " )^
winner!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Jul 2013, 07:56

General Michi wrote:There are countless ways I could "waste" 65 million. For eg: I'm guaranteed 650m if I leave the it all on the street.

I am going to rule that leaving it on the street is "giving to charity".

[–]Graham_LRR
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 20 Jul 2013, 08:05

Yeah and you don't have it yet. Right?
You have to wait 30 days for it to get paid out...
^( " )^
winner!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Jul 2013, 08:08

You get the 65 million on day one, on day 30 your accounts and assets are checked.

If all 65 million dollars are gone according to the rules, on day 31 you are given 650 million dollars with no restrictions.

For the purpose of this thread, I will say that you become the executor of a trust with 65 million dollars so you wouldnt have to worry about paying income tax on the 65,000,000.

[–]Graham_LRR
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 20 Jul 2013, 09:17

Can I use the 65M to pay off congressmen to start consolidating their fecal matter and pass a few USEFUL laws, then retire?

Return to “General Discussion”