The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Jul 2013, 04:26

its possible that those are low but you have to remember that Ebay is a hive of scum and villainy when it comes to stuff like this, or anything for that matter.

I would say you have a 50/50 shot of actually getting them if you buy them from ebay. Most of the users who are offering them have less than 50 auctions in fact a bunch are new accounts. Which makes sense, they went they got the thing, they want to pay for the tickets... However it also means easy scam.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 21 Jul 2013, 04:27

Jenelmo wrote:In FTV:20 there are 20 cards instead of the 15 cards there was in the other FTV and we know 8 cards that was spoiled yesterday at Comic-Con and Pax Aus
Jace, The Mindsculptor
Gilded Lotus
Akroma's Vengeance
Hymn To Tourach
Impulse
Venser, Shaper Savant
Cruel Ultimatum
Ink-Eyes, The Servant of Oni

I actually already own multiples of most of those. No Jaces, but I might actually not even be interested in owning one of those. Since playing standard with JMS in it, I've really started to hate the card.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 21 Jul 2013, 04:32

Lord Hosk wrote:its possible that those are low but you have to remember that Ebay is a hive of scum and villainy when it comes to stuff like this, or anything for that matter.

I would say you have a 50/50 shot of actually getting them if you buy them from ebay. Most of the users who are offering them have less than 50 auctions in fact a bunch are new accounts. Which makes sense, they went they got the thing, they want to pay for the tickets... However it also means easy scam.

Ebay has gotten pretty good about scams from what I've seen. But at the same time, that doesn't mean there aren't people trying to scam others. I personally wouldn't buy them anyways. For that price, I would likely just try to buy a MM box and draft it.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 21 Jul 2013, 05:51

ZePancakes wrote:Most have been betting that Kiora from DotP 2012 is going to be one of the new planeswalker for Theros

dack Fayden seems to be the clear favorite for the last planeswalker. i like the comic and he has been getting consistent mentions in flavor texts recently.

been doing some testing with m14 cards in standard and fiendslayer paladin is seeing play. for a jund deck like mine whose removal is useless against fiendslayer paladin do you think shadowborn demon is an acceptable answer in the SB for him. so at worst its 3BB removal. seeing a lot of strategies around playing the paladin and dumping counters on him to make him really tough to beat in combat and against certain decks removal is worthless
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 21 Jul 2013, 06:01

Lemegeton wrote:
ZePancakes wrote:been doing some testing with m14 cards in standard and fiendslayer paladin is seeing play. for a jund deck like mine whose removal is useless against fiendslayer paladin do you think shadowborn demon is an acceptable answer in the SB for him. so at worst its 3BB removal. seeing a lot of strategies around playing the paladin and dumping counters on him to make him really tough to beat in combat and against certain decks removal is worthless

Shadowborn Demon still can't target him, though. How is that supposed to work?
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 21 Jul 2013, 06:35

Kapol wrote:Gilded Lotus is honestly the one that mosts interests me for use, but I don't play older formats.

Also, I really wanna get one of those SDCC planeswalker sets... anyone there wanna pick one up for me? :P

If you want Gilded Lotuses, you're better off ordering the singles. It was only just in M13 wasn't it?
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 21 Jul 2013, 07:56

Lurkon wrote:
Lemegeton wrote:
ZePancakes wrote:been doing some testing with m14 cards in standard and fiendslayer paladin is seeing play. for a jund deck like mine whose removal is useless against fiendslayer paladin do you think shadowborn demon is an acceptable answer in the SB for him. so at worst its 3BB removal. seeing a lot of strategies around playing the paladin and dumping counters on him to make him really tough to beat in combat and against certain decks removal is worthless

oh yes he can. shadowborn demons removal is a triggered ability. paladin only has protection from red and black "spells". a trigger like this can still hit him
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 21 Jul 2013, 08:03

Lemegeton wrote:
Lurkon wrote:

oh yes he can. shadowborn demons removal is a triggered ability. paladin only has protection from red and black "spells". a trigger like this can still hit him

Ah, I see. Interesting.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 21 Jul 2013, 13:09

Fantazme wrote:
If you want Gilded Lotuses, you're better off ordering the singles. It was only just in M13 wasn't it?

Yes, but the new artwork for Gilded Lotus looks amazing. Plus, I'd only need one to use, since they're cycling out. I already have two. I'd just put the awesome-looking one in my EDH deck.

I'd want the rest of the FtV for collecting, trading, and potential use in the future.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 21 Jul 2013, 15:03

Lemegeton wrote:
ZePancakes wrote:Most have been betting that Kiora from DotP 2012 is going to be one of the new planeswalker for Theros

dack Fayden seems to be the clear favorite for the last planeswalker. i like the comic and he has been getting consistent mentions in flavor texts recently.

I don't think that they are going to print Dack Fayden soon as it is not Wizards that releases the comic and i think that they would like to keep some separation as it would limit the card as it has to fit the comic story and his abilities and the comic could be restricted by working the Theros story into the comic
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 22 Jul 2013, 01:09

What would a Dack Fayden planeswalker actually do, anyway? "Some cost: Put a token onto the battlefield that is a copy of target artifact an opponent controls"? Cast spells from your opponent's graveyard, maybe? Seems pretty narrow...

Lemegeton wrote:dack Fayden seems to be the clear favorite for the last planeswalker. i like the comic and he has been getting consistent mentions in flavor texts recently.

By "consistent mentions", you mean Artificer's Hex, right?

Also, re: eBay: having just gotten screwed on some Modern Masters I preordered off eBay that turned out to be a scammer, take note: with both eBay and PayPal, you can only open a dispute within 45 days of payment, so do not order anything that you don't expect to get before then. Officially, eBay does not allow any preorders - you aren't officially allowed to sell anything you don't have on-hand at the time. So if you do decide to risk it and preorder something off eBay, make sure it's, like, less than 30 days before release or such so that if/when it turns out to be a scam you still have a window to open a dispute. If you want to take the risk on something longer than that, pay by a credit card or debit card that has a chargeback mechanism, and investigate the chargeback policies from your bank, as a backup plan (luckily my bank will do a chargeback if you buy something and never receive it, so I'm currently working on that for my MMA case, but the process is pretty involved, and I don't recommend it).
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 22 Jul 2013, 04:46

So. Bye bye extended, huh?
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 22 Jul 2013, 07:31

phlip wrote:What would a Dack Fayden planeswalker actually do, anyway? "Some cost: Put a token onto the battlefield that is a copy of target artifact an opponent controls"? Cast spells from your opponent's graveyard, maybe? Seems pretty narrow...

Lemegeton wrote:dack Fayden seems to be the clear favorite for the last planeswalker. i like the comic and he has been getting consistent mentions in flavor texts recently.

By "consistent mentions", you mean Artificer's Hex, right?

LOL, he was reference on some ravnica block cards too wasn't he. or am i going mad
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 22 Jul 2013, 07:50

Gatherer only turns up Artificer's Hex, but according to the MTG Salvation wiki he appears in a bunch of media inserts.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Fantazme

Postby Fantazme » 22 Jul 2013, 09:41

He'll probably appear down the road. It would be very weird to have a Planeswalker comic and then not make said Planeswalker.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 22 Jul 2013, 14:53

JackSlack wrote:So. Bye bye extended, huh?

As they said, Modern basically fills the need. That need being "A format where you can do awesome stuff by combining the best stuff from different sets, but without stupid broken cards."
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Fantazme

Postby Fantazme » 22 Jul 2013, 14:59

To be honest, I'd forgotten Extended even existed.

In other news, this week has provided a lot of ammo for a new podcast I'm going to launch. *Terrified*
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Jul 2013, 15:18

Extended was supposed to be "the way for you to keep playing your favorite deck after it rotates out of standard" as well as a way to let stores not get hosed by rotation.

In reality just about everyone ignored it.

Kinda like Peasant, Singleton, Highlander... Yeah they exist, but if you like them because they play them at your store, chances are they dont exists in the next town over.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 22 Jul 2013, 15:23

One of my local game stores runs "casual" extended tournaments alongside their "serious" standard tournaments on Friday nights. Given that they already restrict entry to casual if you've proven yourself to be a real powerhouse, I suppose they lose nothing by changing it to modern.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 22 Jul 2013, 16:42

Extended had the same problem block often has, and that is that players only played it if they had to because of a tournament and i think that was why they changed it first to the new extended and then Modern splintered off and is successful in filling the slot between Standard and Legacy, where you can play with both your old standard deck and semi-old cards you remember from the past
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 22 Jul 2013, 17:23

I'm going to miss extended. Modern and Legacy allow you to play older cards but the power within there makes it harder for average Joe me to go anywhere. I felt Extended was niche enough that the power cards see the least play as everyone else is playing modern/standard/legacy/edh instead.

Farewell forgotten friend.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 23 Jul 2013, 00:30

I certainly enjoyed Extended, it gave my favourite cards and decks a little more life without necessitating that I be prepared for every broken card since Mirrodin.
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Postby headband » 23 Jul 2013, 12:44

The moment you realize it is perfectly viable to cancel the apocalypse.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 23 Jul 2013, 13:14

Ah but can you do it with an artifact creature that takes two players to make work?

Hmm, wonder if that would be a match pair of Bosh commander decks...
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 24 Jul 2013, 17:35

I know that they don't ship Wizards products outside the US but could a mate in the US order, receive it then send it to me as a gift? Just a query.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”