Brewsters Millions

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Would you take:

2.3 million dollars today
42%
spend 65 million dollars in 30 days for the big pay out.
58%

Total votes: 24
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Re: Brewsters Millions

Postby Wraith » 20 Jul 2013, 09:36

Go big. Buy some jets. Sell the jets for $5.00 a piece. Spend the jet money T.G.I.Fridays.

Doesn't sound hard.
-Wraith
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 20 Jul 2013, 10:32

You should really add "You must receive fair market value when buying and selling assets" and "You cannot intentionally destroy assets" to the rules list, Hosk. they are rather crucial parts of the original rules.

I do like 2Stepz idea, though.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 20 Jul 2013, 12:17

Lord Hosk wrote:Brewsters millions the 30/300 million adjusted for inflation.

Rules.
You must pay anyone you hire a fair amount for the services they provide.

Yeah, so zyxst heard me read that off, and got a rather NSFW idea (spinning off of paying, say, Mr. McCartney fair market value for his songwriting skills to write and release a song under Creative Commons):

"So....Mr. Cumberbatch; how much money WOULD it take to get you into my bed? :lol:

Naaaaah, she's not prepared for this sort of challenge at all. :mrgreen:
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 20 Jul 2013, 12:44

65 mill, and then make bloody sure I get into uni.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 20 Jul 2013, 16:28

I just thought of the perfect way to lose $65 million: Give it to Air Canada.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 20 Jul 2013, 19:40

BADUMCHA! ^

Want me to spend 65 million dollars in 30 days? Challenge accepted.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 20 Jul 2013, 21:52

Host a talent show, give every contestant a prize depending on how well they preformed. Since they are preforming for me and an audience, I would assume that would count as paid entertainment and not charity.
Image Image Image
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 21 Jul 2013, 00:37

Going to 'Desert Bus is charity,' I'd use this argument. I wouldn't be giving away the money for nothing. I'd be giving it away for fabulous prizes that are one of a kind, acting as a super-octopimp. Many of these items would not have a set value. And even if we said the cost of materials counted, I could give the assets away as my 5% charity. Because I doubt all of DB's prizes combinted equal $3,250,000. Alternatively, I'd BUY Desert Bus and pull a Dengler. :P If this reasoning wouldn't be considered 'right,' I'd talk to the LRR crew about transferring the money straight to them as actual payment, then having them give it all right to charity.

My plan would be to 'sell' the items to the second-highest bidder for a donation equal to their high bid to Child's Play, getting the prizes myself live on-camera by flying myself out there to make sure I can get rid of them within the month. I'd give the giveaways to a random chatter or forum member I liked. I'd likely keep a few things myself if they didn't count as assets, but if they did, I'd just do this for all of them.

Alternate plan:

I hire a huge number of game makers. From the very best to the newest person. I have them all in their own allocated groups. I pay them all a huge salary, including their entire game budget up front, renting out the office space for all of them and having them pay for their own hardware programs (with an up-front bonus if they need it) so the programs and hardware belong to them.

I'd either keep rights and rights to some future profits to all games made this way, or I would put all games out under creative commons. It would be the former if the assets wouldn't count. I'd say they don't since the potential profits aren't actually worth anything until the game is finished (which isn't likely to happen in a month, since I'll always have them add more). All of the assets and development material will belong to the developers themselves, so I won't own any of that. Or, at worse, I just make the game free and, when they finally are released, do something like the Humble Bundle. You can pay anything you want, including nothing.
empath

Postby empath » 21 Jul 2013, 02:02

1) keeping the rights would count as an asset - something that earns you money, "potential profits" are still considered something of benefit. It's little different from a stock certificate that doesn't give you any benefit then and there, but has the potential to earn you money.

2) The solution to 1) is, as you said, put the games out under Creative Commons licensing, but that would narrow the field of game makers that would sign on with you; some just would NOT give up their creations for any fee or wage.

But yeah, your alternate plan has potential...
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 21 Jul 2013, 03:10

For 2, I'm sure I'd be able to find a lot of devs, mainly indies or some higher-level producers who want complete creative control, would go for it. Even if not, there's are tons of game design students who'd like the funding to basically try to get their game finished. The main problem is that I wouldn't be able to ensure each project is successful... I did the calculations, and if I paid each person (each person, not each team) $20k each total, I'd have to find 3,250 people to work for me. Though I'm sure I can also hire some talent scouts and similar things to speed up the process. I'd want to have every dev working by the end of the first week, except perhaps bigger names who will take longer to get if I even will be able to. If I also paid for them moving to one central location, including building and moving expenses (which would seem pretty much required, or have multiple branch locations in different countries with VPN set up between each site to make an interconnected dev-hub), I'd be generous and say $50k per person. Which is still finding 1,300 game developers ready and willing to go. That sounds like a lot, but that includes programmers, artists, musicians, developers, etc, etc.

EDIT: I think I just figured out a way to game the system. While I wouldn't be able to get any of the games finished by the end of the time because that'd be bad for me, I'd basically do the entire thing as a setup of 'I'm funding you to produce a demo of your game for me. If it looks good, I'll continue funding it. It'd taking some working to adjust each team's resources to enough to easily go very far with the project, but enough where I'd need to fund them to finish it afterwards (in the process signing a deal to receive a portion of the profits). But it could possibly work, even if I don't see every project come to fruition. I'd spend the 65 million and have nothing to show for it. The creators keep the rights to their games and assets; I'm basically just hiring them to actually work on the game full time. And then, after the month is up, I'll have prospects for financial gain, a bunch of new full or well-started games, and 650 million if all goes well.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 21 Jul 2013, 09:02

I'm sure the crew would appreciate the donation but would hate you for the hours. How long would they have to bus for 3.25 million? Much less 65....
Maybe we should try and balance out the human suffering.
^( " )^
winner!
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 21 Jul 2013, 09:05

What about burning it?
What's the thought there?
^( " )^
winner!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 21 Jul 2013, 12:53

Dubious_wolf wrote:I'm sure the crew would appreciate the donation but would hate you for the hours. How long would they have to bus for 3.25 million? Much less 65....
Maybe we should try and balance out the human suffering.

They'd have to bus for 226 hours with me having a little over 2.5 million left over that I'm sure I could get rid of (I'm sure handling a lot of the details would help bring that down quickly). That'd be slightly less than 3 days longer. Which is a lot mind you, but 64-some million more for 3 days is a lot too.

Don't get me wrong. Realistically, I'd try to find another way or do my alternate plan. Maybe try to talk to the crew about it first and see what they think. But none of this is going to happen anyways, so it's kinda moot.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 21 Jul 2013, 13:00

Actually, I've had a better idea.

World's.
Biggest.
Firework.
Display.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Jul 2013, 13:09

Oh man, and dont announce it... just hire like 500 barges, show up at the coast of a big city in the afternoon and just after dusk, GO!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 21 Jul 2013, 13:10

What could possibly go wrong?

Also, question: What if we buy something with the sole intent of destroying it? Like buying an old painting solely to set fire to it. Something along those lines. Something that no sane person would do with their money.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Jul 2013, 13:18

While not stipulated here, in the original story and movie it is stated that you can't just destroy an asset. One loophole Brewster uses to get around that is to buy extremely rare stamps and mail them. It drastically decreases their value, but as they were used for their intended purpose, it falls within the rules.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 21 Jul 2013, 14:45

I only say Richard Pryor's version of the film so I'm not sure if it is in the original, Brewster had to have receipts of all his purchases. So burning wouldn't work.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 21 Jul 2013, 15:04

Elomin Sha wrote:I only say Richard Pryor's version of the film so I'm not sure if it is in the original, Brewster had to have receipts of all his purchases. So burning wouldn't work.

Cool thanks for clarifying.
I know this is all moot but it's nice for the brain exercise. I've only posted a tenth of the stuff I've thought of. Lol
^( " )^
winner!
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 21 Jul 2013, 15:06

65 million in rare and collectors coins. Spend like normal money.
And watch as collectible coiner go insane. Muhahahahaha!
^( " )^
winner!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 21 Jul 2013, 15:20

Dang. I wanted to set fire to some expensive painting. Seems like it'd have been a good time.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 21 Jul 2013, 15:57

For purposes of contemplation, would paying for body modification count as 'having the assets' after the 30 days is over?
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Jul 2013, 17:06

im going to say Tattoos are ok, piercings are fine, any implants or jewelry would count as an assets.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 21 Jul 2013, 17:44

WE COULD START A CARNAVAL!!!!
great idea 2stepz!!

get a dude. pay him to be "world's most tattooed man"
get bearded lady other various side show exhibits, etc.
You don't own them as "Assets" but you could pay for their body mods and promise "future work".
^( " )^
winner!
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 21 Jul 2013, 19:48

I guess I was thinking about medical procedures: plastic/weight loss surgery w/ body lift, fixing my bone spurs, lasik surgery, a heart valve replacement and pacemaker for my grandpa... that kind of thing.

Not that I would rule out tattoos and piercings... but I was thinking a little more serious.

Return to “General Discussion”