Same Sexy Sims

Talk about LRR's gaming news show on PATV.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Same Sexy Sims

Postby Kathleen » 12 Aug 2013, 09:55

Is The Sims the most progressive game ever? Maybe? Maybe.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Re: CheckPoint, Season 3, Episode 09 - Same Sexy Sims

Postby Clypheous » 12 Aug 2013, 16:21

So the secret to being able to be progressive in your game is to have everyone think it will fail? Man, shouldn't a TON of other games be more progressive then?
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 12 Aug 2013, 17:12

Perhaps the secret is just to not make a big deal about it?
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Grickles
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Grickles » 12 Aug 2013, 20:21

hey I just wanted to reply to you guys on the story about Russia being offended by company of hero's

The soviets did some seriously awful things and killed even more people (many of them their own) than even the nazi's. The Red Terror was one of the worst times in Russia's history. But the Russian govornment is incredibly corrupt and even contains former soviet politicians, some of which were directly involved in the genocide of millions upon millions of people.

Still love your stuff though keep it up.
LOST IN SPAAAAACE
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 Aug 2013, 20:28

In the game, one of the missions involves blowing up a field of gasoline—killing an entire platoon of your own soldiers—because "the Soviets were ruthless", but not before you also use flamethrowers to burn down civilian buildings, with Russian civilians still inside them, "so the Nazis can't have the buildings" or something.

The game is taking extreme liberties with history.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 13 Aug 2013, 01:50

Whilst that is... pushing it somewhat, as a note for general historical reference the whole 'burn it down so the Nazis can't have it' thing was extensively practiced by the Red Army right up until Stalingrad. And it's not a new tactic either; Russia has never been successfully conquered because every time someone tries, the Russian army simply destroy everything (mostly the farmland and crops) in their wake as they retreat to ensure their enemy are forced to rely on extended, overburdened supply lines and can't set up a sustainable long-term position. It's perhaps not the best for fostering civilian goodwill, but it works. Or at least has done.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 13 Aug 2013, 02:09

I think the issue Russians are taking, is with the portrayal of that in the game.

It's sort of like, "They executed deserters on these specific occasions, so that means they always did that all of the time". The game is taking the extremes, and acting like they were the norm, and hand-waving it with "the Soviets were ruthless".

Full disclosure: I like Relic a lot, I went to uni with one of their team, and I hope they make another Spacemarine game. But some Russians have these issues, and I'm explaining why.
Grickles
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Grickles » 13 Aug 2013, 04:56

I get what you mean graham, but the Russians did execute their deserters almost all the time. The Russians tactics in World War Two was sorta similar to the orks since you bring up 40k; lots of soldiers, move those soldiers in the direction of the enemy and punish them if they retreat. There were entire units in the red army who's entire role was to hunt down and kill deserters. And on the subject of nazi war crimes, back at the start of the war when the soviets and nazis were allies it wasn't uncommon for the soviet army to round up Jews and other groups persecuted by the nazis who had fled to the Soviet Union and then hand them back the nazis. All I'm saying is that: yes perhaps company of Heros took some liberties with history, but those liberties weren't as big as you make them sound.

Sorry to be so dogged on this but I just want to make a point.
LOST IN SPAAAAACE
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Aug 2013, 05:38

Shooting deserters is hardly unique to the Russians, though (even if it may have been more widespread there). Even the Canadian Army executed deserters during the First World War.

Yes, the Russians did some terrible things throughout the war, but they were hardly unique in that. The St. Louis was refused entry by both Canada and the United States, forcing her to return to Europe, where many of her Jewish passengers died in concentration camps. The same time period also had Canada and the United States enacting compulsory sterilization laws, and engaging in cultural genocide against our native peoples. Had the war spread to North America beyond Alaska, we likely would have engaged in scorched earth tactics just as severe as the Russians did.

My point is that while the game's portrayal of the Russians may not be as far from the truth as we would like, it is far from the portrayal of other nations who it is hard to say were much better, under the circumstances.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 13 Aug 2013, 08:24

For a show about gently poking fun about videogame news, this thread has got just a little bit dark.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 13 Aug 2013, 08:43

Welcome to the LRRoums. How would you like your thread derailed today?
I want a Pinkie launcher.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 13 Aug 2013, 13:23

With cheese, and a side of fries, please!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 15 Aug 2013, 19:25

Graham wrote:With cheese, and a side of fries, please!

[img| POUTINE [/img]

I put the cheese on the fries and then gravy happened. I hope that's OK.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 17 Aug 2013, 06:38

"...and can figure out their comment system..." Whuuu?

YT's comment system is...well, some would argue it's TOO simple, allowing offhand trolling where even a few moments delay might cause some harassers to give up (or once in a blue moon, have second thoughts).

...now YT's "oh what's that? You logged in ten minutes ago on another tab? Let's make you log in AGAIN" hatred of cookies, THAT I can laugh at and get behind. ;)

Lotsa good stories (oh Hi-Rez...I may hate bureaucratic delays, but a lot of that stuff is set up that way for a reason :lol: )

Also, I hope whatever was up with Kathleen's throat is just a mild and passing thing - if it IS an illness, here's to a quick and painless recovery!

Thanks for entertaining me for yet another week! :D

Return to “Checkpoint”