Creating an evolve deck: Help Wanted

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
bladeraider101
First Video: Friday Nights: Guild Fight

Creating an evolve deck: Help Wanted

Postby bladeraider101 » 13 Aug 2013, 19:20

Hello,

I am about to start creating an evolve deck that I believe to be pretty good. I am still new at Mtg thought, and was wondering if some of you could rate my deck. Maybe tell me if I should take something out, put something in, etc. (All cards need to be standard playable after Theros comes out.)

-Experiment One:4
-Renegade Krasis:4
-Burst of Strength:4
-Cloudfin Raptor:4
-Battering Krasis:3
-Simic Fluxmage:3
-Sapphire Drake:3
-Vorel of the Hull Clade:3
-Elusive Krasis:3
-Ivy Lane Denizen:3
-Crocanura:3
-Crowned Ceratok:3
-Breeding Pool:4
-Islands:9
-Forests:9
-Total cards: 62
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: Creating an evolve deck: Help Wanted

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Aug 2013, 20:36

I'll get you my list of my Evolve deck tomorrow morning.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 Aug 2013, 20:47

I'm not a huge fan of Burst of Strength, Fluxmage, or Battering Krasis. The Krasis doesn't seem like a great 3-drop since it'll barely evolve anything itself. Fluxmage just isn't worth the time if you ask me; I'd rather have Manipulator in it's slot. But even Manipulator isn't that good.

A couple great cards for evolve decks:

Ooze Flux: The more evolve counter you have, the better it is. Remove a +1/+1 counter from each creature, get a big creature, and trigger evolve on everyone again. It goes even better with Renegade Krasis.

Master Biomancer: Since your creatures enter bigger, they trigger more evolve for what's already on the field. Not to mention the giant butt makes it so it almost always triggers evolve too.

Prime Speaker: No more than a 2-of I'd say. But she comes in as a bigger version of your biggest creature. This makes sure that you get evolve triggers from her no matter what. Plus, you get card draw, which is always good. But her high mana-cost and legendary status make her hard for me to recommend more than 2 in a deck.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 14 Aug 2013, 02:10

because you want to be getting a creature on board every turn with this deck you are weak against control. so i would remove the burst of strength and replace with savage summoning. you get your +1+1 counter but it enters the battlefield with it already on so you have a higher chance of evolving more of your stuff . it gives you a weapon against control. and it can be used as a combat trick. e.g. you block their 3/3 with your 2/3 raptor then flash in another creature that evolves your raptor and you are sitting pretty.

prime speaker is a very good 6 drop for this deck and i might also consider progenitor mimic for that slot.
Last edited by Lemegeton on 14 Aug 2013, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Aug 2013, 05:07

Here's my "Simic" deck (though it splashes some black), if you want to compare. (I'll put a * next to what's rotating out, to help out with that, too.)

1 Cloudfin Raptor
1 Realmwright
1 Simic Manipulator
1 Sapphire Drake
1 Grave Betrayal
1 Abundant Growth *
2 Forced Adaptation
1 Giant Growth
1 Rancor *
1 Wasteland Viper
1 Gyre Sage
1 Quirion Dryad *
1 Crocanura
1 Verdant Haven
1 Renegade Krasis
2 Crowned Ceratok
1 Death's Presence
1 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
2 Corpsejack Menace
1 Rubblebelt Raiders
1 Give/Take
1 Bioshift
3 Zameck Guildmage
3 Bred for the Hunt
3 Vorel of the Hull Clade
1 Fathom Mage
1 Krasis Incubation
1 Master Biomancer
2 Nimbus Swimmer
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Darksteel Ingot
2 Transguild Promenade
2 Shimmering Grotto
1 Hinterland Harbor *
1 Gruul Guildgate
2 Golgari Guildgate
1 Drowned Catacomb *
1 Breeding Pool
1 Blood Crypt
1 Alchemist's Refuge *
4 Islands
5 Forests

Now mine isn't so much about the Evolve as it is about keeping and increasing the counters I do get. However, if/when I get them, I'll input more Biomancers, Prime Speakers, and Renegade Krases.

Also, yeah, if I get any Savage Summonings, I'm totally adding them to this deck.

bladeraider101

Postby bladeraider101 » 14 Aug 2013, 07:09

Lemegeton wrote:prime speaker is a very good 6 drop for this deck and i might also consider progenitor mimic for that slot.

I see how they would both be helpful except that they are both super hard to get, lol. I have seen 1 progenitor mimic in the year I have been trading cards. I will try though. :)
bladeraider101

Postby bladeraider101 » 14 Aug 2013, 07:22

-Savage Summoning:4
-Progenitor Mimic:2
-Ooze Flux:3
-Vorel of the Hull Clade:3
-Master Biomancer:3

Does this look good?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 14 Aug 2013, 10:15

I'm iffy on savage Summoning personally. I think it's more of a sideboard card against control, depending on how bad your local meta is for control. On the other hand though, it allows you to do a lot beyond that in this deck. The creature comes in bigger, which means it's more likely to trigger evolve. It has pseudo-flash, meaning that you can do it as a combat trick to trigger evolve. So I'd say test it out in the main deck first and see how much use it is, but consider taking it out.

I'd recommend putting 4 simic charms in the sideboard for versatility. Evolve decks would rather have creatures in the main deck, but it's nice to have the option available if they're running a lot of removal, you need bounce, or you need pump.

I forgot to mention last time that I really don't like Vorel. He's not too bad. He's a big butt that triggers evolve. But you're not often going to want to keep up mana to use his ability. You'd rather just play a creature and evolve your guys rather than play him and make one guy slightly better. My suggestion would be take him out and put in 1 Biomancer, 1 Prime Speaker, and then keep the other cut so you're down to 60 cards.

I also forgot to mention Gyre Sage is a good addition. She's going to trigger your 1-drop evolves, and she becomes ramp or a huge body later on.

You might also want to look into adding another land or two. Having five 6-drops makes it hard to get to that.

And another card I honestly just realized would likely go good in evolve decks is Aetherling. You can bounce him without much trouble, meaning you can turn it into 'pay 1 mana: Evolve creatures with power 4 or less, evolve creatures with toughness 5 or less.'
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Aug 2013, 11:07

I like forced adaptation but I really like enchantments for some reason.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 14 Aug 2013, 11:32

Kapol wrote:I'm iffy on savage Summoning personally. I think it's more of a sideboard card against control, depending on how bad your local meta is for control. On the other hand though, it allows you to do a lot beyond that in this deck. The creature comes in bigger, which means it's more likely to trigger evolve. It has pseudo-flash, meaning that you can do it as a combat trick to trigger evolve. So I'd say test it out in the main deck first and see how much use it is, but consider taking it out.

yeah that's what i meant. its not worth a card in most decks but here it does kind of fit a few roles. i expect it to also hit more sideboards after rotation if we dont get a better replacement for cavern
bladeraider101

Postby bladeraider101 » 14 Aug 2013, 11:47

-Progenitor Mimic:2
-Ooze Flux:3
-Gyre Sage:4
total:61

I think 1 more than 60 will be fine.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 14 Aug 2013, 14:43

One thing I'd like to add is that it'd honestly likely be worth putting 4-5 plains (or if you can get them, the 8 shocklands you'd need to actually splash white) and 4 rootborn defenses or Ready//Willing into your sideboard. The biggest problem isn't really 'control' so much as it is board wipe. Board wipe just wrecks this deck, and there's no real good way to avoid it outside of white or G/B for Golgari Charm.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Aug 2013, 16:29

Kapol wrote:One thing I'd like to add is that it'd honestly likely be worth putting 4-5 plains (or if you can get them, the 8 shocklands you'd need to actually splash white) and 4 rootborn defenses or Ready//Willing into your sideboard. The biggest problem isn't really 'control' so much as it is board wipe. Board wipe just wrecks this deck, and there's no real good way to avoid it outside of white or G/B for Golgari Charm.
That was half the reason I splashed black for my Simic deck, as I have Golgari Charms in my sideboard. The other half of the reason was the Corpsejack Menaces, which are just awesome if you're getting counters. (The Grave Betrayal is more just flavor and fun.)

bladeraider101

Postby bladeraider101 » 14 Aug 2013, 17:10

Could I not just splash blue for cancels? I also could maybe add the new Jace in there if I splashed it (Just an option).
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 14 Aug 2013, 17:27

You wouldn't be splashing blue, since you're already in blue. And that wouldn't work. The most common board-wipe in the game right now is Supreme Verdict, which cannot be countered.
bladeraider101

Postby bladeraider101 » 14 Aug 2013, 17:41

Kapol wrote:You wouldn't be splashing blue, since you're already in blue. And that wouldn't work. The most common board-wipe in the game right now is Supreme Verdict, which cannot be countered.

Lol. Now I feel stupid when I came back to look at the forum, and then noticed that I said that. Noob move... such a noob move. (Also thanks for that information on the card)
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 14 Aug 2013, 17:48

No worries. It's easy to have a slip of the tongue. So no worries. :)
bladeraider101

Postby bladeraider101 » 14 Aug 2013, 18:12

I don't think I need to worry so much about board-wipes really. I have not heard of many decks running them (Maybe its just me). Besides their is not really a good chance I will always have the card to stop the wipe in my hand anyway.

I do think I might get some cancels for my deck, only because I find them very useful. I don't think I will put Jace in thought.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 14 Aug 2013, 18:26

Syncopate is a better choice than Cancel. It only takes a single blue (which is relevant in case you don't hit the second blue source), it exiles if I remember correctly, and a few other benefits. I'm not a huge fan of putting counters in for the sake of having them, but it wouldn't hurt to try them if you'd prefer to.

Also, I agree that Jace shouldn't be in. M14 Jace is mostly mill, which needs a mill focus to be that great. RTR Jace could be alright for his -2 ability.

As for board-wipes, a lot of control decks run them. It's one of the most common ones, like Sphinx's Revelation. And even if you're not assured you'll get it, having the chance is better than just dying to it whenever it comes up.

Then again, your local meta makes a big difference too. So you might not run into it if people don't play control around you.
bladeraider101

Postby bladeraider101 » 14 Aug 2013, 19:52

I don't run into board wipes almost at all. Now that I say that thought I bet you 20 dollars I am going to die by one this Friday...
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 14 Aug 2013, 19:59

I suggest a Jace or three... and some mind grinds... and a mirko, maybe a consuming aberration play set too Also you're gonna wanna run more black over the green.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 14 Aug 2013, 20:16

Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
bladeraider101

Postby bladeraider101 » 14 Aug 2013, 20:29

"What if I don't want to make a top tier deck?" "I... don't understand?"
bladeraider101

Postby bladeraider101 » 20 Aug 2013, 16:21

-Simic Charm:4
-Gyre Sage:4
Majicou83
First Video: MTGO Draft Thing

Postby Majicou83 » 31 Aug 2013, 22:11

Kalonian Hydra (M14 mythic) is also quite good for counter based decks. Rather pricey at the moment. The price seems to be trending slightly downward lately as it stabilizes at least.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”