Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Darkobra » 24 Sep 2013, 03:32

ONLY 4 DAYS TO THE GIG WHY ARE YOU ADDING MORE SONGS?!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 24 Sep 2013, 12:40

I'm single and in my 30s. My only sibling is single and he'll be 29 in October. As a result, my Mom has began to think she did something wrong raising us. I don't know how to 'fix' her, or how to make her feel better... and I can't exactly tell her she's wrong, because I honestly don't know. I do feel bad for her, though.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 24 Sep 2013, 14:26

I can tell you that if you still live at home, it's not abnormal at all. Does that help?

I'm single and 24. I'm just being patient. I don't see the point in getting into a relationship that won't work.
-
But I am getting into the issue of being inexperienced with relationships.

My noble quest of not causing any heartbreak to past partners has turned out to be "avoiding doing emotional sacrifices for my own greater good".

Should this be in the relationship thread? There's elements of Vent, I think my post is valid.
2stepz

Postby 2stepz » 24 Sep 2013, 17:30

FWIW, I haven't lived at home in over 10 years. My brother owns his own home, and has been away from home since before his daughter was born (she'll be 7yo in about 7 weeks.)
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Sep 2013, 09:20

I just went to the school sandwich shop, which is staffed by other students attending this university.

I got a ham sandwich and on impulse a bag of skittles, my total was $5.76 I handed her a ten, a one and a penny, she set down the one and the penny and said "the ten will cover it sir" and before I could respond hit the 10 button, counted out 4 singles, two dimes and four pennies, then put them ontop of the other money I had given here and handed me the whole stack back.

Now of course I ended up with 5.25 in my pocket either way but that she didnt even realize what I was doing. In fact when I said "well I wanted to reduce my change" she said "oh we cant open the till to give change sir"

These are supposed to be my piers, this young woman graduated high school and has handeled a cash register for I am guessing at least two months now and had no concept of what I was doing. This is so so so so so sad.

This was less than a hour after one of my fellow students asked me "can you sign this 'john smith' on a fake document we made for class saying "I dont know how to make cursive J's"

YOU WHAT?

What are they teaching the current generation if basic consumer mathematics and the ability to write are not on the curriculum?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 25 Sep 2013, 09:41

Penmanship is being removed from school curricula all over the States. It's being deemed less important as the digital age takes full hold.

This may be a contributing factor, Hosk.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Sep 2013, 09:41

I distinctly recall been taught cursive at one point, but there's a lot of letters I can't quite remember. That said, signing something is just a matter of making it scribbly enough that it stops looking wrong.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 25 Sep 2013, 10:43

I found out computer classes start super early. Like, the first week of kindergarten. So penmanship has been put on the back burner.

Also, I discovered some people from different walks of life figure money in a different way. I had one cashier I worked with about to give someone 3 dimes instead of a quarter and a nickel. Also, since our government got rid of the penny, some of the cashiers were having issues with the rounding, even though our cash would do it automatically for us.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Sep 2013, 10:48

As someone who was "taught" how to write by the Ontario education system, that's probably for the best. However, it's still ridiculous to have computer classes that early.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
2stepz

Postby 2stepz » 25 Sep 2013, 11:16

My handwriting is a mix of print and cursive, but it IS legible, which is the most important aspect. My signature, not so much... but my general writing is decipherable.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Sep 2013, 12:31

I dont mind technilogical integration, I am all for it. But when they start teaching technilogical reliance its a problem. My 4th grade nephew(ish) is allowed may encouraged to use a calculator for math because "when will you not have one" thats really not the point, you shouldnt have to rely on technology to solve simple problems. 50/20 should not ever require a calculator.

When I gave her money the least she should have been able to figure was that I lnew the ten would cover it but that there might be a second option.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 25 Sep 2013, 13:08

I think that was less her mathematical reasoning at fault and more her having a brain fart.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 25 Sep 2013, 14:33

As a left-handed individual, I must say that I'm pleased cursive is being phased out. I can print just fine, but cursive for right-handed people is a smooth, pulling transition from left-to-right, while it's a pushing motion for me. It's awkward and I'd much rather minimize pushing (as I do in printing) to make letters. I don't know if other lefties find this irritating but cursive has always been very difficult and slow for me.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 25 Sep 2013, 15:07

I write left handed too, and could never get the hang of cursive beyond my signature. I write a lot of letters in different methods than right handed people, probably subconsciously to make it easier. But learning cursive, years after learning how to print, I tried to follow the directions but found that my letters never worked out right. I didn't ever use it enough to figure out better ways to write in it.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Sep 2013, 15:25

I guess I can see your point on cursive, I still disagree but I can see the left handed side of the argument, now that we have gotten beyond the whole "left handed people are from the devil" and it is equaling out as it sorta should be.

I still see it as a faster more elegant style but I guess the real usefulness of it is limited.

But the general lack of education of my "piers" is still my rant.

[–]Graham_LRR
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 25 Sep 2013, 16:38

Left handed as well; I ended up really learning cursive the hard way by having a lot of note-heavy college classes and some really fast-talking teachers. It's a shame I'm the only one who can read it, BUT HEY.

Did you know that they make Monopoly games with built in calculators now? Or at least they did in some fad probably coinciding with my last visit to a board game aisle in a store... But yeah. I have to say, if I hadn't had to be the banker so much in that game, my change-making skills would have been severely more limited than they are. Maybe that's almost part of it, too?
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 25 Sep 2013, 16:42

Are those the ones with the "bank cards" that keep your money on them instead of paper money, or are there ones with paper money and a calculator? I remember admiring the bank cards when they first came out because whenever I played Monopoly as a kid we'd end up running out of certain bills all the time, but I can see how it's a problem on the math side.
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 25 Sep 2013, 16:49

I have no idea? Probably. I think I just side-eyed them in a store once. But yeah, that's definitely a bonus, isn't it? Now if only they could do that somehow with the houses, too...
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 25 Sep 2013, 21:45

I have clinical placement on Monday and all my brain is doing is AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH- I'M GOING TO MAKE THE BIGGEST BUFFOON OF MYSELF AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH- ALL THIS KNOWLEDGE EXITING MY HEAD *dead*
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 26 Sep 2013, 08:00

For various reasons I have been late for my last two rehearsals. I'm annoyed with myself for not having more control over my life. I was late twice in my whole two years of drama school, both times I had very good reasons, I like to maintain a good reputation for professionalism. The first one was my fault because I went to the wrong address. This was stupid. The second one was because my improv rehearsal got out late. Anyway, moving on...
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
2stepz

Postby 2stepz » 26 Sep 2013, 09:56

Lord Hosk wrote:But the general lack of education of my "piers" is still my rant.

I have to ask whether this is intentional or what... but the word you are looking for is PEERS.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 Sep 2013, 10:03

Whelp, someone somewhere has screwed up. Just got an email saying I've entered grace, even though I'm not done with school. I have one semester left, which I couldn't take this semester due to one of the two classes not being offered. I even went and talked with an advisor about this before classes started. Just great... now I need to get in contact with them and figure out what to do.
2stepz

Postby 2stepz » 26 Sep 2013, 10:22

Actually, that's the way it's supposed to work. They don't care whether you've finished your degree or not... if you are not currently enrolled, you enter grace. When you register for classes in January, you will be put back on deferment and grace will retrigger again when you are done.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 Sep 2013, 17:05

Right. I'm just annoyed that I'm getting pestered about it to cause more stress. I ran to school just to be safe and they said the same thing.

I'm just ready to be done. I mean I actually did another degree because they weren't offering classes I need ffs.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 26 Sep 2013, 18:54

trying to find a simple thai inspired dipping sauce for spring rolls, and every single sauce I find is a peanut sauce. It's so damn annoying!
It's not that I'm terribly allergic to peanuts, but the baby doesn't want peanut sauce. And until he leaves, I can only eat what he lets me.

Also, GET OUT OF MY STOMACH!! Argh!
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Return to “General Discussion”