The Big Relationship Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Re: The Big Relationship Thread

Postby The Jester » 27 Sep 2013, 03:47

I thought I did love her, but I'm not so sure any more. I jumped in too fast and didn't get to know her properly before getting in really deep. I've made the mistake before but I told myself that I knew what I was doing this time and that it felt like the right pace for this particular relationship.

But now that I know more about her impulsive desicion making and poor judgement I feel a lot less certain of future happiness. I haven't seen her pattern change, not in the (almost) six months we've been together, and not from the current effects of things she's decided to do in the past.

I'm also not sure now whether, if she changed, I could go back to the strength of feeling I had before. I think I'd always be wondering how long it'd last, how long before she overspends or gives someone a chance they've long since stopped deserving, how long before something goes wrong again that could have been avoided.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 27 Sep 2013, 04:20

have you tried talking to her about it? If she knew how you felt, maybe she'd make a more conscious effort to change her ways.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 27 Sep 2013, 04:32

As far as I can tell, and I know I don't know her perfectly, she'd take something like that as a personal attack and become extremely angry, and then detrimentally self-critical. She already feels like she's failed her son for the past six months because she hasn't been able to get them their own place to live.

But I don't know for sure. Maybe she'd be able to absorb what I was saying and start changing. But either way I don't think she'd end up very well disposed to me.

I'm pretty sure that on some level she knows her decisions aren't great, but that only ever seems to serve to add to her anxiety and feelings of failure, not actually cause her to change.

Maybe me pointing all the places where I think she's exhibited poor judgement will shock her into change? But that's not the kind of thing a relationship tends to survive. :/
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 27 Sep 2013, 09:28

Jester; two things:

1: People don't just change. If you're staying with her be prepared to get this behavior for the next ten to thirty years. If in this stage of the relationship this is costing you more energy than it is giving you, chances are it's only going to get worse.
Staying with her not for who she is, but for who she could be is ultimately going to hurt her a lot more than breaking it off.

2: Don't think too much about how this is going to affect her. You are not responsible for her feelings or for her decisions. The only person you should actively be worrying about is yourself.
Reading your posts it seems like all you are thinking about is how all this is affecting her, while you should be thinking about how this is affecting you.

Now, that said: you should probably really think about what you really feel for her and what you are getting out of it.
These kinds of decisions are never easy and I don't envy your position here.
Just make sure that if you're staying with her you're doing it for you, and not for her.

The best of luck. I know how hard situations like these can be, since they are about subjective factors and it's impossible to be really honest to yourself about what you really want.

Take care.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 27 Sep 2013, 13:07

I've decided I'm going to break things off, and while I am worried that it will make her react very badly, I do also fully understand that that's not something I can worry about very much any more.

I'm mostly wondering how to break it to her. I'm almost certain that a phone call would end very quickly with her hanging up, and to be honest even if she did hang on and listen I'm pretty sure I'd forget stuff I'd meant to say or say things I don't intend to... which leaves me with email.

I know it's harsh-(er than an in-person breakup or a call-breakup), but I want to make sure I say exactly what I mean and can avoid as much as possible making her feel like it's her fault.

I understand, Drecon, that if this is the way she is she's probably not going to change much. It sucks, and I do really wish I'd spent more time at the outset getting to know her. I shall definitely be endeavouring to take things slow the next time I begin a relationship.

Thanks, you guys. :)
Scrumpmonkey
First Video: Informational Presentation

Postby Scrumpmonkey » 27 Sep 2013, 14:17

Wow this thread is BIG. I guess you get what it says on the tin. A lot of people here seem to need a hug. So have a hug *collective hug*
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 27 Sep 2013, 14:19

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Sep 2013, 15:51

The Jester wrote:I'm almost certain that a phone call would end very quickly with her hanging up, and to be honest even if she did hang on and listen I'm pretty sure I'd forget stuff I'd meant to say or say things I don't intend to... which leaves me with email.

Call. If she hangs up, or not, then follow up with an email. Going straight to email is weak and selfish. It also sucks extra hard for the recipient.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 27 Sep 2013, 17:02

As a female fellow human being I can assure you there's no lower way to break up with someone than by emailing them. Try calling her first, like Metcarfre said, if she hungs up it's her fault.
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 28 Sep 2013, 00:25

why don't you do it in person? always the most honest way, I find.

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 28 Sep 2013, 00:48

He lives in the UK and she lives in the US, if I remember correctly. In person would be difficult and expensive.
Hurp-De-Durp!
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 28 Sep 2013, 01:09

fair enough

My Twitter

The Jester

Postby The Jester » 28 Sep 2013, 02:12

Deedles is right, she lives in the US. Met and Viscomica are also right; I was being a coward in automatically discounting a call and skipping straight to email. I'm really bad at emotionally fraught situations, but I'll give it a go. I do owe her that.

I'll have the email prepared, and reference it, because I don't want to accidentally drift from the things I want to say into things that would be better left unsaid. But yes, I'll call her when she's up.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 28 Sep 2013, 07:24

I called, and told her, and she asked my why. I gave a brief outline of my reasons, and told her I wished her well before she told me to "Shut the fuck up" and hung up. So I sent her the email I'd written, so that she had a bit more of my reasoning.

[Edit for spelling]
Last edited by The Jester on 28 Sep 2013, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Sep 2013, 08:48

Good man.

Remember, you can't (and shouldn't!) control someone else's feelings, actions, and reactions, but you can consider and control your own.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 28 Sep 2013, 08:54

The Jester wrote:...before she told me to "Shut the fuck up" and hug up.

Ah, adorable typos for the win.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 28 Sep 2013, 09:12

Yeah, I can't imagine many situations where that would have ended well, but it was still the best thing you could have done.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 28 Sep 2013, 10:14

I was fucking terrified when I called. I hated it, but I still managed to get out the basics of what I wanted to communicate. I'm very sorry that I hurt her, but ultimately staying with her would have ended up hurting me more.

I'm gonna leave relationships for a while, and just wait for another one to happen when it happens. I'll also take my time to get to know them, too. I rushed this time, I think, because I was lonely. It's just that being found attractive by someone I find attractive is so unusual it gets under my guard and makes all my loneliness hard to ignore.

I really need a cuddlebuddy or something. :P
cuddlyblade
First Video: reduce your footprint

Postby cuddlyblade » 28 Sep 2013, 10:28

Did somebody say cuddly! :P
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 28 Sep 2013, 10:39

I don't think you're close enough for cuddles, dude. :P

Also, I'd be worried about cuddling a blade. ;)
OMGItsSarah
First Video: Offensisensitivity

Postby OMGItsSarah » 28 Sep 2013, 11:07

Jester, you can have hugs in this thread too! HUGS FOR YOU. ALL OF THE HUGS YES
Kortanios
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Kortanios » 28 Sep 2013, 16:10

viscomica wrote:As a female fellow human being I can assure you there's no lower way to break up with someone than by emailing them. Try calling her first, like Metcarfre said, if she hungs up it's her fault.

I think texting her would be even lower, but that's just my opinion...

Massive hugs, Jester!
Ergo bibamus!
cuddlyblade
First Video: reduce your footprint

Postby cuddlyblade » 28 Sep 2013, 17:45

The Jester wrote:Also, I'd be worried about cuddling a blade. ;)

O there's no need to be worried like in most situations you just need to be careful around the pointed part and you'd be fine. :wink:
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
Laurnil
First Video: Cannot remember

Postby Laurnil » 29 Sep 2013, 08:55

Just popping in here to inform people about the new dating thread. It was an idea that grew out of the sex thread. We now have 6 profiles up! Including mine! (I really don't know if that is interesting to you, but I thought I'd mention it.) So, any single people looking for other single people? Go check it out.
Laurnil

http://www.twitter.com/laurnil

FYI: Laurnil is short for Laura Nichelle
Laurnil
First Video: Cannot remember

Postby Laurnil » 29 Sep 2013, 08:55

cuddlyblade wrote:
The Jester wrote:Also, I'd be worried about cuddling a blade. ;)

O there's no need to be worried like in most situations you just need to be careful around the pointed part and you'd be fine. :wink:

Also, I like the pointy part. ;)
Laurnil

http://www.twitter.com/laurnil

FYI: Laurnil is short for Laura Nichelle

Return to “General Discussion”