Escapist Expo 2013

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: Escapist Expo 2013

Postby Lord Hosk » 16 Sep 2013, 21:04

I wish the schedual was searchable by panalist. Like at PAX there are a lot of panalist who only do one thing, but at the escapist it seems like the same 15 people split up all the panels.

Like the "dr Mark" ones would be awesome to catch on stream, video or recording.

It seems like its set up for that you can click on the person name, but it gives you a forbidden access.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Sep 2013, 21:13

I'm confident the bigger ones will be recorded, but I don't think the smaller ones will be. At least they weren't last year.

Also, I need to come up with something to top The Last Supper from last year...
emangamer
First Video: I honestally dont even remember

Postby emangamer » 17 Sep 2013, 06:05

Is anyone looking for people to split a hotel with? I still need like 2-3 more people to split with. Probably staying at the comfort Inn, the cheapest hotel on the list.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 28 Sep 2013, 23:11

Whelp, all three of us who are going, is anyone else excited? Less than a week to go.

I think it might be cool if we could get a runners Theros draft in at some point. I'm sure Graham and Paul would be too busy, but it seems like it'd be fun if those of us who're going could draft.
theashigaru
First Video: The Con

Postby theashigaru » 01 Oct 2013, 15:11

Two days (three until I get there)!

I don't really play Magic, but maybe I'll pick up a fatpack before the weekend. No time like the present to start, right?
Is it safe?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 01 Oct 2013, 15:44

The main reason I got into Magic was because I was going to The Escapist Expo and knew it would be something I could do whenever I had free time. A pack of fatness isn't the best starting point, but it's a good one.

But it's getting close indeed... Now I just get to panic about something going wrong on the way down.
magicpokey
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby magicpokey » 01 Oct 2013, 17:24

Well, I'm dumb! i said this on twitter (@magicpokey) but forgot to mention it here. I will be attending the Expo again this year, and this time I've got a hotel room with a buddy to sleep in!

Is there any formal plans for a meetup? or are we playing it by ear at this point?

Edit: I wont be sleeping IN my buddy... I could've worded that a bit better... I'm SHARING a hotel room with my buddy! I'm also bringing a bunch of mtg commander decks if anybody wants some late night commander action!
I'm a bigger nerd than you. Not by way of intelligence, mind. But because I'm over six feet tall and more than 350 lbs.
theashigaru

Postby theashigaru » 01 Oct 2013, 19:05

You gotta do what you gotta do magicpokey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXmp1hLK0tY#t=01m020s

Just leave an extra tip for the maid; it'll be a mess.

About the meetup, I think we're just playing it by ear for now, but if you PM me your number, maybe we can schedule a something once we're all there.

@Kapol, what would you recommend as a starter for a magic deck?
Is it safe?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 01 Oct 2013, 19:45

Either a starter deck, or maybe an event deck would be my go-to suggestions. Starter decks are cheaper and come with two packs, but are weaker. Event decks are more competitive, but lack any way to personalize it without buying more cards. You'd likely want to go with Theros for starter decks (I'm personally fond of the green and black one, but there's one for every color), or M14 for an event deck.

Of course, a fat pack gives you a bunch of packs, a way to hold the cards, some deck boxes, a bunch of basic lands, and would be a good way to get a collection to start making your own deck. Again, I'd recommend Theros since it's just released. A similar option is the Deck Builder's Toolkit. It comes with a bunch of land, cards from recent sets, and four packs (though one is M13, which just cycled out of standard, for some reason...). The case is also pretty nice.

Or, of course, you could draft. But that's harder, takes quite a while, and so forth.

As for a meeting... I'm not sure. Maybe afterwords on Sunday? But I know some people are going to be leaving around then, and my group might be heading out to get some driving done. Friday night might be best, since there doesn't seem to be anything going on. It depends on how late the convention center is I suppose.
magicpokey
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby magicpokey » 03 Oct 2013, 04:38

We could all meet at someones hotel for a friday night draft or some commander or just to hang out for a bit? who knows, if i can locate a LGS, maybe we can all hit up fnm together? it could be a runners invasion!

edit, it looks like Atomic Empire is close to the convention site, maybe we could all get there? I seem to recall they might be hosting some events at the show as well

(web site) http://www.scifigenre.com/ or http://www.atomicempire.com
I'm a bigger nerd than you. Not by way of intelligence, mind. But because I'm over six feet tall and more than 350 lbs.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 03 Oct 2013, 09:57

Im thinking of doing a draft Monday night at the convention. Maybe a runners draft?

Also, currently on the road. 7 of 12 hours done!
TheMadPunter
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby TheMadPunter » 03 Oct 2013, 15:07

Kapol wrote:I'm confident the bigger ones will be recorded, but I don't think the smaller ones will be. At least they weren't last year.

Also, I need to come up with something to top The Last Supper from last year...

I'm doing a small panel with Dr. Mark on Saturday, and Greg Tito tells me that one will be recorded, so maybe the other small ones will be as well. Many of last year's panels ended up getting uploaded as audio only, so we'll see, but still better than nothing.

I'm also totally down for drafting. And if anyone's interested in teaching a relative noob how to build a standard deck, I'd be most appreciative.

What was The Last Supper?
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
theashigaru

Postby theashigaru » 03 Oct 2013, 18:26

Man, tomorrow's going to draaaaag at work..
Is it safe?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 03 Oct 2013, 20:10

TheMadPunter wrote:What was The Last Supper?

I asked everyone during the Q&A2 last year to post for 'the last supper' with Jim in the middle. It was pretty cool, and I was pretty happy with it. I just need to figure out a way to top it.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 04 Oct 2013, 11:05

For the runners here, we hope to get a draft started at about 7.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 05 Oct 2013, 14:15

At time of posting the cosplay is streaming and I planned to not watch it, but then I noticed Graham and Bob are on it so I figured it see what they would do. Then the Fluttersshy cosplay walked up and nope. eject. Sorry guys, but suddenly Graham and Bob couldn't possibly carry this for me.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 Oct 2013, 16:40

Sorry to hear that ElFuzzy. You missed some amazing stuff, and some dancing.
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 06 Oct 2013, 16:09

I also wasn't planning on watching the cosplay but when I saw Graham and Bob I knew I had to see this. I was not disappointed, there was some funny cosplay and a surprising dance contest victory :)
Also I got a new avatar out of it so win win!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Oct 2013, 14:28

Just wanted to say I had a great time with everyone at the Expo. Got in a couple of drafts, saw a bunch of great panels, and generally had a good time. Plus, the concert was so good. So good.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Oct 2013, 14:59

Maybe I am the only one who is fascinated but the twitch videos from the expo just keep running with no break, so everything that happens on stage is in the video. You get to see fans coming up after the show and talking to the panelists, autographs being signed, the set up for the next event, and even when the stage hand is moving chairs around and picks his nose and eats it.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
TheMadPunter
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby TheMadPunter » 12 Feb 2014, 01:19

Was just remembering how awesome Unskippable Live was, brought up the Twitch stream, and unfortunately the camera was pointed nowhere near the screen. So, while Graham and Paul's handsome faces are clearly visible, you can't see any of what everyone's laughing at, ie. Aliens Colonial Marines.

Shot in the dark here (like much of the game itself har har), but did anyone get this glorious extravaganzum on video? Please say yes, and be telling the truth.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Return to “General Discussion”