Friday Nights: Hero's Path - The Threshold

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Friday Nights: Hero's Path - The Threshold

Postby Kathleen » 24 Sep 2013, 21:34

Kathleen struggles to find her Erebos inspired Standard deck while Alex just struggles.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: Friday Nights: Hero's Path - The Threshold

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Sep 2013, 21:44

He gave the keys to his Card Shop, to Friday Nights Universe Alex. Does he not like having stock?

Someone call an ambulance, Alex is going to be losing a lot of blood when his fingers start to bleed from tearing open every pack they have,
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Narcuru
First Video: Into the Breach - CheckPoint

Postby Narcuru » 24 Sep 2013, 21:51

Yeah giving the keys to Alex seems like a critical misplay. Also I'm surprised Alex seemed confused being left alone there instead of giddy realizing he has access to all the boosters.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 24 Sep 2013, 22:15

Perhaps he was overwhelmed by the trust. And the boosters.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 25 Sep 2013, 00:10

so long as he didn't get given the keys to the safe, the P3K is secure...
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
AzureDragoon
First Video: ive been watching so long i cant remembe

Postby AzureDragoon » 25 Sep 2013, 06:47

Bahaha I love these episodes for Theros. Also thanks for the help Kathleen, Your stance on cats in this episode is only helping my push that cats are superior to dogs.
Why can't I hold all these Dragons - Scion EDH Deck
Experiments gone wrong - Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH Deck
BearForce1 - Gaddock Teeg EDH Deck
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 25 Sep 2013, 11:17

It's a sail-boat.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 25 Sep 2013, 12:51

it's a schooner.
erjhunter
First Video: an MTGO Academy draft

Postby erjhunter » 25 Sep 2013, 17:13

Was that a Book Promo Jace? Nice.
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 26 Sep 2013, 15:02

Let me just start by saying that I love Friday Nights as a series, just as I am a super fan of Loading Ready Run and just about everything that they do. However, this episode, while still enjoyable to a degree, felt somewhat...off...and I think I understand why I felt that way and would like to articulate those feelings.

Again, I love the show and the people who make it intensely. I'm not trying to rag on it. I love the show. But that being said...

This week's "Hero's Path" episode was a lot more of a straight out ad than the typical Friday Nights.

I realize the series is funded by Wizards, and it is meant to serve as an advertisement for MTG, but I think that we've kind of crossed the threshold from "Folks who love Magic and are actual Magic players put together a humorous show about what's so fun about Magic" to "Here's how Wizard's envisions you enjoying their new set."

In a lot of ways, this episode didn't feel like it was made by players for players, but rather, by Wizards of the Coast for Wizards of the Coast.

Alex struggling to solve the poster, Kathleen getting wide-eyed and both frightened/exhilarated by the HYDRA she soon must face...this is the Wizards of the Coast's vision of this set.

The jokes were enjoyable enough. Kathleen coming home to find Graham covered in booster pack wrappers was laugh-out-loud funny, but again, that's because the idea of ripping through an entire box of packs is much more of a true to life joke. Just like how whenever I show "In Command" to friends of mine from the shop, they both laugh and comment that "Those are some pretty accurate jokes about playing Commander." But would they feel that way about "SOLVE THE POSTER!" or "FIGHT THE HYDRA!" Seriously, was "OPEN THE HELLVAULT!" during Avacyn Restored really what anyone was excited about or obsessed over? (and if so, is that really typical of most players?)

That's what i mean by it feeling overtly and tonally like an ad, and that's why I have a more lukewarm reaction to it. The reason why Wizards should be paying LRR to produce these episodes is because they get people excited to play Magic. They bring back returning players, and re-energize existing ones.

Just my two cents.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 26 Sep 2013, 15:44

I think you are correct, professer. While picking my Path was interesting, I'm not that excited about the Hydra.

Dragon's Maze was similar. I liked picking my guild, but I didn't really have any interest in the maze running stuff. But I figured I was just not the target market. I lean a bit spikey.

This didn't feel as weird as that Fairway Solitaire Checkpoint though.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 Sep 2013, 18:07

For me, the poster is whatever, but I'm legit excited to play Horde Magic against the Hydra deck. It looks like fun.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 26 Sep 2013, 23:55

In fairness, there must be a decent segment of the market that enjoys the flavourful expansion-launch gimmicks, otherwise wotc wouldn't continue to put resources into them.

i think i remember lrr saying that hero's path was commissioned by a different wotc department from the one that funds Friday nights, so its not surprising that the aim/target audience/feel of the episode is different.

obviously that doesn't mean you have to like it, just that there's a reason it feels different from Friday nights
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Nanosauromo
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby Nanosauromo » 03 Oct 2013, 21:54

Lord Hosk wrote:He gave the keys to his Card Shop, to Friday Nights Universe Alex

This makes me think: Is the Friday Nights Universe the same as the cHustleverse?
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 04 Oct 2013, 05:42

I always assumed so, but with Beej's recent arc in cHustle, there'd be some issues with his character just appearing in Friday Nights.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Narcuru
First Video: Into the Breach - CheckPoint

Postby Narcuru » 04 Oct 2013, 10:33

Nanosauromo wrote:This makes me think: Is the Friday Nights Universe the same as the cHustleverse?

It was originally (if you look at their list of CHustle videos on the site the first season is part of that). I'm not sure if they are fully continuing that idea (as in if its in CHustle canon) or if its just similar characters.

My guess is its still the idea of CHustle characters (themselves exaggerated), but with less of a focus on their antics since its been picked up "long term" from WotC and some people wouldn't get all the references.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 04 Oct 2013, 12:06

MowDownJoe wrote:I always assumed so, but with Beej's recent arc in cHustle, there'd be some issues with his character just appearing in Friday Nights.

Also, I don't believe Beej plays.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Professor STAFF

Postby Professor STAFF » 04 Oct 2013, 17:22

Lurkon wrote:
MowDownJoe wrote:I always assumed so, but with Beej's recent arc in cHustle, there'd be some issues with his character just appearing in Friday Nights.

Also, I don't believe Beej plays.

Beej can be seen in the background of Friday Nights "The Return" at the coffee shop, chatting away with another person.

We can assume, therefor, that if Commodore Hustle is a parallel universe to our own world (Universe A), then Friday Nights is a parallel of THAT universe, where the major difference is over-emphasis on Magic: The Gathering. In this universe we can assume that Beej does not know the LRR crew, because it is highly unlikely Beej would sit apart from them, both ignoring them and being ignored by them. Since Beej in real life does not play Magic, and Beej in Commodore Hustle does not play Magic (see: CH - Resolved), we can assume that Friday Nights universe Beej also does not play, and that this is the most likely explanation for the Friday Nights LRR crew not knowing him.

Also, there is a high likelihood that when Commodore Hustle Beej suggested to Commodore Hustle Graham that they film videos about their lives, only slightly exaggerated, that CH Graham later reconsidered this idea and indeed began doing so. The result of the Commodore Hustle LRR crew creating videos about a world like their own, only slightly exaggerated, could very likely be the Friday Nights universe. However this last part is still just speculation at this time.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 04 Oct 2013, 17:26

Professor STAFF wrote:Also, there is a high likelihood that when Commodore Hustle Beej suggested to Commodore Hustle Graham that they film videos about their lives, only slightly exaggerated, that CH Graham later reconsidered this idea and indeed began doing so. The result of the Commodore Hustle LRR crew creating videos about a world like their own, only slightly exaggerated, could very likely be the Friday Nights universe. However this last part is still just speculation at this time.

The lack of fart/poop jokes, and general production values in Friday Nights suggest that it is not actually made by cH LRR.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Professor STAFF

Postby Professor STAFF » 04 Oct 2013, 17:31

Lurkon wrote:
Professor STAFF wrote:Also, there is a high likelihood that when Commodore Hustle Beej suggested to Commodore Hustle Graham that they film videos about their lives, only slightly exaggerated, that CH Graham later reconsidered this idea and indeed began doing so. The result of the Commodore Hustle LRR crew creating videos about a world like their own, only slightly exaggerated, could very likely be the Friday Nights universe. However this last part is still just speculation at this time.

The lack of fart/poop jokes, and general production values in Friday Nights suggest that it is not actually made by cH LRR.

Damn. You're right. Well, back to the drawing board and flow charts. I'll map this universe out yet!

Wait...Loading Ready Run exists in Friday Nights, so they must make videos of their own...perhaps Friday Nights is in fact Universe A...and our world was created when they began filming episodes. Thus it would go Friday Nights (Universe A) >>> Our Universe (Universe B) >>> Commodore Hustle (Universe C). :idea: :?: :idea:
asteriskreaper
First Video: friday night - untap

Postby asteriskreaper » 02 Dec 2013, 07:06

the whole episode I kept hearing "Threshold" from Scott Pilgrim... it was even funnier.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." -the Laughing Man
"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey... you should see me in a crown... "-James Moriarty(Sherlock)

Return to “MtG”