Agents of SHIELD: Whadidyathink?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: Agents of SHIELD: Whadidyathink?

Postby Jamfalcon » 06 Oct 2013, 20:05

Lord Hosk wrote:You can buy the DVD in three years when it comes out, or hope to catch it in reruns. (well im not doing those, anything else?) NO! and you better not watch a copy you downloaded off the internet THATS STEALING!

Most networks put up the episodes on their website, and usually go at least three or four weeks back. Doesn't help with the region locking, but if you got the channel that showed it originally, you can probably watch it on their site.

Edit: speaking for Canada, at least, though my understanding is that it's similar in the US.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 06 Oct 2013, 20:52

...but that's NOT the case with the Seven Network in Australia. Their Yahoo! site DOES stream some of their shows, but NOT the one this thread is talking about. So it seems The Establishment is putting nicholasmc1 and his countrymen in the very barrel that Lord Hosk just coopered up there. :(
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 06 Oct 2013, 21:22

Empath you know an awful lot about Australia for someone from Newfundland.....are you sure you aren't secretly ernie dingo?
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 07 Oct 2013, 00:31

Another issue that doesn't help the issue of piracy in Australia is that there can be a substantial delay between when a show first airs in the USA or UK and when it is shown in Australia.

Thankful the ABC is quite good about the only TV show that I am really interested in, Doctor Who. The episodes are available on their streaming site with in hours of being shown in the UK.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
empath

Postby empath » 07 Oct 2013, 03:02

Nah, all that stuff I posted about austral telecommunications? I learned maybe ten minutes before I made the post; thank/blame Wikipedia & Google. :mrgreen:
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 08 Oct 2013, 04:40

really enjoyed the first episode but the second was dire. for a start Skye is a terrible character and is a giant cliche and setting up the double cross just makes it worse.
everything about the 2nd ep was so badly written. the new girl on the team who is not trusted saves the day. the old flame reunion and then she turns out to be the bad guy.
come on, something with the Whedon name attached to it should be better than this tired shite.and dont get me started on the "inflatable raft plugs the hole" nonsense

i love Whedon and i love marvel so i hope it improves. and if they even hint that coulson is a clone than i'm out.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 08 Oct 2013, 04:54

I do kind of agree with m'learned colleague. I'm enjoying the series so far (all two episodes of it) but it's more of a shallow mindless enjoyment rather than "wow this is a deep well thought out series" enjoyment (like say with LOST or Babylon 5).

Having said that most of my enjoyment is down to Agent Coulson - the others would definitely not be able to carry the series on their own.

Hopefully it'll pick up before it gets cancelled. Because deep down I think we all know that's what's going to happen to it :(
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 08 Oct 2013, 05:54

Geoff_B wrote:
Having said that most of my enjoyment is down to Agent Coulson - the others would definitely not be able to carry the series on their own.

Coulson is great as expected and i genuinely want to know May's back story but the rest of the characters are terrible. i am kind of hoping they threw the Fury cameo into this ep cos they know how weak it was and wanted to appease the fans a little
I HOPE
MatParker116
First Video: Unskippable

Postby MatParker116 » 08 Oct 2013, 06:33

If it continues in this vein and it's renewed how much money will they throw at Cobie Smulders to join the cast? Hell I can see them adding Daisy Johnson or Mockingbird as well.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 08 Oct 2013, 07:44

With How I Met Your Mother ending this season, I would not be surprised to see her join in season two.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
empath

Postby empath » 08 Oct 2013, 08:40

I can see Hill having a regular 'assignment-&-orders-giver back at HQ' gig, but more like cameos and/or guest spots on single eps for SHIELD luminaries - they have their own assignments, after all.

I mean we know Joss can write/direct large ensembles, but this seems to be about 'the gang of six' on this team.

Six IS a good number; evenly divisible several ways (two groups of three, three pairs) and having that many on the Plane Of Impractical-And-Redundant Engines would still permit privacy, while a larger team would quickly develop cabin fever from the crowded confines.

Add to which despite evidence to the contrary, this isn't solely Joss's show - Jed and Maurissa may not have the same talents with large core casts.

So I'd be comfortable with this, maybe with guest spots from time to time.

Personally, I feel the second episode borrowed liberally from the Avengers itself. And lampshaded it (and the 'perils of a new tv show') nicely.

Damsel Coulson: "They don't need me. They {and the show itself} need{s} time."
Villainess: "Time is not on their side."
D.C.: "No, but you gave them something better. A common enemy." {to put aside their petty squabbling for}

As implied, I'm going to give AoS some more rope. :)
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 08 Oct 2013, 08:42

But if you add superheroes into the team doesn't that just shift the focus onto them and away from the normal mundane agents? That seems to go against the idea that these are normal, allbeit well trained, people against extraordinary enemies.

For those wondering, Daisy Johnson is also known as Quake, with the powers you may expect from having an alias like that, and Mockingbird, while not originally a superpowered hero got a dose of super-serum + infinity formula after being critically wounded on a mission, so she's basically a female Captain America right now.

Ohhh hang on, new Coulson theory: He's a Skrull/Chitauri shapeshifter who believes he's human!

Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 08 Oct 2013, 12:51

obviously they cant make superheros the focus if its about the agents but it will still need some superheroes popping up from time to time and yeah, if they don't throw mockingbird in there they are idiots. such a perfect fit.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Oct 2013, 20:00

so this episode went down a little again for me, its a little too batman the series for me.

Let me show you this (insert thing) it will be very helpful if you are ever in (situation) fast forward 25 minutes "OH NO! I am in (situation) wait, I forgot I have (insert thing) I will be O.K."

First the move, then the choice in this episode.

Also Use the phrase "getting rusty" a few more times, I dont think we get it yet.

Im very disappointed.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 08 Oct 2013, 21:01

To be fair, the thing about the gadget you mentioned Hosk sounds more James Bond to me.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 08 Oct 2013, 23:31

From what I hear it's a pretty generic crime procedural with some Marvel-themed fanservice now and then.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 09 Oct 2013, 06:08

I'm not a fan of them using bog-standard tropes so straightforwardly, I'd expect them to play around a bit more.

On the other hand, I think this episode shows what a "standard" episode will be like once everybody has settled into their roles. Not amazing, but it does leave them room to grow.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 09 Oct 2013, 07:44

oh come on. we go from the cliched "new girl isn't trusted and saves the day" to "James Bond/ Q branch" rubbish. who the hell is writing this crap.
such a rich marvel universe to work with and this is the garbage plots they are serving up.
in comparison Arrow , for example, was not "great" writing but it was miles better than this.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Oct 2013, 08:07

Of course this could just be a ruse to lull us into a false sense of security over what the show's about...

Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 09 Oct 2013, 08:27

On the other hand if you read Movie Bob's articles at The Escapist it makes it look like it's a carefully constructed universe with tons of subtle references to Marvel. But that dude turns to Read Too Much Into It when his fanboyism kicks in.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Oct 2013, 09:06

I get that they are dropping lots of subtle hints to future movies and this show is supposed to act as one big advertisement for the movies. I expect that in the month before each movie comes out we will get a 3 or 4 story arch that leads into the movie, with the actors having some type of Cameo, probably not onscreen but like "look at this (tech) that Agent scientist guy created for us," or "wait call agent hacker girl and see if she can bypass this."

But I expected better out of a mutant enemy production.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 09 Oct 2013, 09:08

"In the month before each movies comes out"? I doubt they'll last that long. This has CANCELLED written all over it. Let's see if they even make it to Avengers 2.
MatParker116
First Video: Unskippable

Postby MatParker116 » 09 Oct 2013, 09:41

I read some article that suggested that this show could work more if it went down the route of 24, Alias, Homeland and basically sharpened it's teeth a little and I think that suggestion makes a decent amount of sense. Hell watch the scene in Avengers where Black Widow is tied to a chair.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 09 Oct 2013, 09:50

While I'm not entirely sold on the show itself, I do like how they are working the dialogue. It sounds like real people talking. I think that's one of the few things that keeps me watching. And to find out what's up with Coulson.

My other half's theory about Coulson: Robot, due to all the "getting rusty" quips.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 09 Oct 2013, 10:03

Apparently Life-Model Decoys are a thing in the Marvel universe anyway, so it's not much of a retcon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Model_Decoy

Return to “General Discussion”