Pokémon X and Y

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Pokémon X and Y

Postby Kapol » 10 Oct 2013, 22:01

With the release of Pokemanz X and Y less than a day away in some places, I thought it only right to make a thread for it. That way we can discuss things we're excited about, or not, which are coming in the next game.

Personally, I'm most looking forward to seeing an actual Pokémon game in 3D. Not a spin-off like Coliseum, but an actual 3D Pokémon adventure. I kind of got a taste with Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity. While I have many problems with that game, seeing the 3D Pokémon world made the game a lot more visually interesting. And seeing battles in the third dimension is going to be nice I believe.

The new fairy type confuses me a bit. The fact that it sounds like they're just adding it to balance dragon types feels somewhat pointless to me. It also feels odd that 'fairy' is a type. I'm curious how many relevant Pokémon there are going to be in that type.

So what does everyone else thing? Things you're looking forward to or dreading?
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Re: Pokémon X and Y

Postby LogicSword » 10 Oct 2013, 22:11

I'm getting X, and I'm pretty much going in blind. I've been trying to avoid looking at previews etc.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 10 Oct 2013, 22:26

Well, 'fairies' are as mythical and imaginary as 'dragons'. I don't mind the naming. I had mixed feelings back when they introduced steel types - cause once steel is a type, what's stopping you from making a type out of every metal known to man? Why not have iron types, bronze types, gold types, cobalt types? I just hope they retcon some Pokemon into the fairy type and don't just ignore them. The Clefairy and Jigglypuff families are the obvious contenders.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 11 Oct 2013, 00:03

Does anybody have a link to a place where they talk about the difference between X and Y
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Oct 2013, 00:17

I just googled your question really.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/ ... n-x-and-y/

So far the only noted difference is that Metwo's mega evolution changes from one game to the other. I don't know if it's just a cosmetic thing or there's more to it. Apparently same goes for Mega Charizard. And of course each game will have its own legendary - Xerneans and Yveltal, respectively.

Also, if every other Poke game is to be noted, X will have some Pokemon Y doesn't feature, and vice versa.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Oct 2013, 00:46

The Fairy type is added to retrospecively change the types of a lot of fairy-like Pokemon.
The Normal type was too ambiguous.

It also serves as a polar opposite to Dark. Thing Fairy Tales. The Fairies against the Evil Witch.
-
There's only 69 new Pokemon this type which I have mixed feelings. I'd like more, but there were like 649 already. Each generation gets more and more daughnting to get into. Also it seems they spent the rest of the art design time on making MEGAPOKEMON.

I'm getting Y and have already planned on 4 Pokemon I'd get (excluding the Legendary). I'm not sure who to get for the 6th slot. A Kanto starter I know. I want Charmanzard, but I already have the FIREHAWK. I'm worried there's too much overlap. That leaves Bulbasaur... but I'm not that keen on Venusaur. Megavenusaur looks no-different too. I also want the MEGATORCHIC from the wifi launch event.

So I might end up with FIREBIRD, MEGAFIRECHICKEN, and MEGACHARZARD. Moar fire.
-
At least this generation I have a fire type. In Diamond I picked up the Poison Skunk (tankalot) and gave it Flamethrower.
-
I really want MEGALAKAZAM and MEGA TYPHLOSION.
LogicSword

Postby LogicSword » 11 Oct 2013, 02:07

Street date has been broken in the UK, I've just picked up my copy of X :D
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Oct 2013, 06:31

I pre-ordered off Amazon, I get it tomorrow.

Amazon are fair with release dates, but doesn't pay any UK tax. Amazon has their priorities wrong.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 11 Oct 2013, 07:29

I want to get it, but I might not be able to right away. Going for Pokemon X, want that Mega Charizard X. Charizard finally evolves into a Dragon. :D
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Oct 2013, 07:39

Isn't the whole MEGA thing just a temporary stat effect during battle?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Oct 2013, 07:53

Pretty sure it's a full evolve, since they need a special stone to get to it.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Oct 2013, 07:57

This is from Bulbapedia.

In order to undergo a Mega Evolution, the Pokémon must be holding the applicable Mega Stone. The player must use their Mega Ring, which contains a Key Stone, to resonate with the Mega Stone held by their Pokémon to trigger Mega Evolution. Mega Evolution can only occur in battle and disappears after the battle is over.
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 11 Oct 2013, 08:15

Bebop Man wrote:This is from Bulbapedia.

In order to undergo a Mega Evolution, the Pokémon must be holding the applicable Mega Stone. The player must use their Mega Ring, which contains a Key Stone, to resonate with the Mega Stone held by their Pokémon to trigger Mega Evolution. Mega Evolution can only occur in battle and disappears after the battle is over.

Which is absolutely fine with me. I assume I have to waste a turn to evolve a pokemon, but I can definitely see cases where this would be worth it, if the stats increase enough (and they'd pretty much have to). I'm really excited to play with it.
Do a Pivot Table!

Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 11 Oct 2013, 08:20

Mega Evolution reminds me a lot of Digimon. If in the next Pokemon game you can then combine Pokemon to a transform into a SUPER ULTIMATE Pokemon, I think I know where they're getting their ideas from.

I got my Copy of X in the post today, but I'm playing Fire Emblem at the moment, so I may start it sometime in the future.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Oct 2013, 08:21

Apparently the mega thing will be a temporary stat boosting cocktail with a sprite swap for cosmetics. So not wholly innovative, but fair enough. I'm still more psyched about the 3D thing.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Oct 2013, 09:03

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:Mega Evolution reminds me a lot of Digimon. If in the next Pokemon game you can then combine Pokemon to a transform into a SUPER ULTIMATE Pokemon, I think I know where they're getting their ideas from.

I got my Copy of X in the post today, but I'm playing Fire Emblem at the moment, so I may start it sometime in the future.

See Black 2/White 2.

You get to splice two legendaries together to make MEGALEGENDARY.

What's interesting is MEGAMEWTWO. Legendary 'evolution'.

I'll be honest, Digimon Digilution wasn't original either. It was essentially Power Rangers. And even then I doubt that was original. It seems to be a troupe is Japanese Fantasy with Battle- metamorphis
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Oct 2013, 22:00

So guess what I didn't take into account when I decided to get a digital copy of X? The fact my memory card is only 2 gigs. Which is apparently not big enough to hold it with all of my ambassador games and Streetpass stuff. :/
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 Oct 2013, 01:01

I bought my first next-gen Nintendo portable with this game, so disc space isn't a problem.
Yes I bought a 2DS.
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 12 Oct 2013, 06:09

Kapol wrote:So guess what I didn't take into account when I decided to get a digital copy of X? The fact my memory card is only 2 gigs. Which is apparently not big enough to hold it with all of my ambassador games and Streetpass stuff. :/

I did the same thing. Rushing out to buy an 8 GB SD card this morning... :/
Do a Pivot Table!

Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 12 Oct 2013, 11:48

Kapol wrote:So guess what I didn't take into account when I decided to get a digital copy of X? The fact my memory card is only 2 gigs. Which is apparently not big enough to hold it with all of my ambassador games and Streetpass stuff. :/

Sucks that.
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 12 Oct 2013, 13:45

I went out and bought a bigger SD card and have been playing Pokemon all day. I have a fully EV-trained Charmeleon right now (the new Super Training mini-game is pretty neat, makes EV-training a relative BREEZE). I can't WAIT to evolve it and start playing with MegaCharizard X.
Do a Pivot Table!

Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 12 Oct 2013, 15:07

So how's the game so far? Criticism?
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 12 Oct 2013, 15:26

Well, I'm easily pleased, but I don't have any gripes with the game I can't point out in the other games. I've not even gotten to the second gym yet and my (heavily fire-based) party is nearly complete. I decided a long time ago which Pokemon I wanted most, and I'm about to get Tyrunt. After that it's just waiting until a Noivern pops up, probably on Victory Road.

I very much like the Super Training program, battles are pretty, your mother has a discernible personality and actual history, and I'm enjoying the game as much as any other Pokemon game.
Do a Pivot Table!

LogicSword

Postby LogicSword » 12 Oct 2013, 15:47

ARGH SO GOOD
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 12 Oct 2013, 17:48

The last Pokemon game I played legitimately was Silver, and Red before that.
I haven't played for years. So.. The totally logical and not at all foolish decision of pre-ordering and purchasing BOTH X and Y seems legit, right?
...Now I don't know which to start first. WELP.

Return to “Video Games”