Agents of SHIELD: Whadidyathink?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Re: Agents of SHIELD: Whadidyathink?

Postby RedNightmare » 09 Oct 2013, 10:14

Ok, it being basically a James Bond episode would have been fine if they at least eluded to it and had some fun with it.

And the Chekov's Gun (Skye's disarm technique) was painfully obvious to spot, though her not shooting afterwards was a good save.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 09 Oct 2013, 10:29

It's been so long since I saw a good Chekov's Gun. They're all painfully obvious to spot these days. When was the last time a character pulled on out and you were totally surprised/satisfied with it?
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 09 Oct 2013, 11:40

empath wrote:Add to which despite evidence to the contrary, this isn't solely Joss's show - Jed and Maurissa may not have the same talents with large core casts.

Jed directed and wrote for 'The Guild', Jed and Maurissa were co-writing with Joss on Dollhouse, co-wrote Dr.Horrible, and were production writers for The Avengers. I'm pretty sure they've already demonstrated the chops to be staff writers on an ensemble show.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Oct 2013, 23:10

Bebop Man wrote:Apparently Life-Model Decoys are a thing in the Marvel universe anyway, so it's not much of a retcon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Model_Decoy

The problem with LMDs is that they tend to be directly controlled by the person they're LMD'ing for. At least in the examples I've seen in the comics (namely Nick Fury and Maria Hill)
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 10 Oct 2013, 02:22

On the basis of the last episode, I have decided to watch one more episode.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 10 Oct 2013, 04:51

Also, every device they have found has been activated by electromagnetic fields.

Seriously? in this day and age when I cant have my phone on my desk because the speakers will flip out, I cant put my modem too close to my home cell phone tower because it gets wibbly, and nothing can be close to the microwave. (although that is heavily shielded so I have never had any problems)

There is technology that can be activated by a electromagnetic field and yet somehow isn't set off every half a second?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 10 Oct 2013, 07:05

Lord Hosk wrote:Seriously? in this day and age when I cant have my phone on my desk because the speakers will flip out, I cant put my modem too close to my home cell phone tower because it gets wibbly, and nothing can be close to the microwave. (although that is heavily shielded so I have never had any problems)

There is technology that can be activated by a electromagnetic field and yet somehow isn't set off every half a second?

Also, why does the Hulk rip out of his shirt, but never his pants.

THESE WRITERS DON'T UNDERSTAND SCIENCE!
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 11 Oct 2013, 13:15

I'm still on the fun train for this show, but currently only for Coulson and May. I could watch a show with Coulson and May, with Maria Hill bitching at them from HQ for weeks on end.

Ward is slowly growing on me, but very slowly. I don't like Skye because she doesn't look or feel like an anarchist hacker to me. Then again, I love Lisbeth Salander a bit too much for my own good and also my husband is an I.T. sysadmin and he sure as hell doesn't look like Skye. And I also don't know enough about Fitz or Simmons to like them.

Note: This is not to say that conventionally pretty people can't be anarchist hackers. It's just not the norm at DefCon, I imagine.

Trisha Lynn
...and Rising Tide seems silly...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 12 Oct 2013, 18:14

Until she got the message in episode 2, I was certain that "the Rising Tide" consisted entirely of Skye and her van. I liked that better.

I'd agree that more Maria Hill is needed. Hopefully she'd be on board with HIMYM coming to an end.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 12 Oct 2013, 19:05

I've watched the first 3 episodes back-to-back and I like the show, but for now it doesn't feel as Whedon-y as I'd hoped. I think that may change as the characters find their places and the dynamics of show are better developed.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 13 Oct 2013, 14:23

I'm s-...no, I'm not sorry:

Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 13 Oct 2013, 15:12

The episode about the truck flipping over and one Frank Hall getting captured/released is showing right now on TV. Man this show looks awful. Embarrassing CG, embarrassing 20 year-old "actors" peddling mediocre snark-wannabe dialogue, some Selena Gomez knock-off is boxing a bag and trying to act rugged yet ditzy about it... why are people watching this again? Is it foreplay for Avengers 2 or are they just enjoying it "ironically"?
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Oct 2013, 15:32

I think its foreplay for avengers 2 and I like to think that the LRR forum has a slightly above average intelligence. On that note, for every person we know that we are like "I like them they are smart" there is a person an equal distance below average to make the average average.(I know thats a super oversimplification of averages)

There are a lot of dumb people out there who probably think the stuff they are doing is really scientific, people who are like "man they have one of those laser fences over at the military base and my friends dog lost half its tail, they are going to sue the pants off them."
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 14 Oct 2013, 05:56

Bebop Man wrote:...why are people watching this again? Is it foreplay for Avengers 2 or are they just enjoying it "ironically"?

I don't think I'm watching it as "foreplay" for Avengers 2 or that I'm watching it "ironically." I'm watching it because I like Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson, I like Agent Melinda May and how Ming-Na Wen portrays her, and I generally like Whedon's philosophy when it comes to building an ensemble show: Put good actors together, give them great lines, create great characters with great motivation, have something to say about the world, and don't get in the story's way.

I'm hopeful that all of this can shine through the studio interferences and the general problems one has when there are limits like budget, politics, etc. and that the show will become really great. I try to think this way when it comes to scripted TV shows because the "reality" is that reality programming is generally less expensive to produce which means that nowadays, a scripted show has a lot going against it from the very start.

Trisha Lynn
...it's not what you love; it's how you love it...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 14 Oct 2013, 08:35

Bebop Man wrote:some Selena Gomez knock-off is boxing a bag and trying to act rugged yet ditzy about it
To be fair, her character doesn't know how to box either.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 14 Oct 2013, 09:44

Dominic Appleguard wrote:
Bebop Man wrote:some Selena Gomez knock-off is boxing a bag and trying to act rugged yet ditzy about it
To be fair, her character doesn't know how to box either.

What is her character doing as a special government agent? She looks like she should be in high school.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Oct 2013, 09:50

...That is the exact question everybody, in the show, has been asking Coulson.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 14 Oct 2013, 11:18

Are they also asking him what's the cast of High School Musical doing on board?
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 14 Oct 2013, 13:18

Re: Episode 3: Really? Graviton?

Somehow I feel disappointed by this idea of "let's throw as many Marvel references as we can and hope we don't get cancelled" that seems to be happening.

empath

Postby empath » 14 Oct 2013, 13:57

Thank you, upon watching the episode (even before the climax) I'd been meaning to look up "Dr. Franklin Hall"...I'm getting that same vibe, Geoff... :?
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 14 Oct 2013, 14:40

To be honest I didn't pick up on it at first until the last shot then I was "oh, is that how they're going?"

empath

Postby empath » 14 Oct 2013, 14:43

To be honest, due to my level of jaded cynicism, upon seeing how the crisis was resolved, I kinda expected that stinger...though that's MY fault, not theirs. :|
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 14 Oct 2013, 19:00

I am being very patient with this series, since a few Whedon series have taken a little while to get into the swing of things(Buffy and Angel being prime examples, since the first Season of Buffy was pretty meh, and the first Season and a half of Angel was also pretty meh), and this is quite enjoyable.
Also, regarding the previous episode, I also completely saw the stinger coming, although I had no idea who Gravitron was before one of the people I was watching it with looked it up(I have quite a limited knowledge of Marvel, since I've never really had access to many of the comics apart from the occasional Spider-Man compilation and a couple of Fantastic Four collections). But, overall, I quite enjoyed the episode.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 16 Oct 2013, 02:44

Just watched episode 4 and I think I'm fully sold now. For some reason the scenes between Skye and Coulson did it for me. I'm starting to see the characters find their place and start to interact the way I hoped.

but that bit with the Coulsons apprentice teasing yet another part about him was kind of annoying. I was hoping May would see it through the feed during their conversation earlier, because that would have pushed that plotline forward a bit more, instead of just more teasing
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 16 Oct 2013, 10:28

The level of investment and over-analysis Movie Bob goes through is almost painful.

Return to “General Discussion”