Pokémon X and Y

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Re: Pokémon X and Y

Postby ecocd » 13 Oct 2013, 15:33

I adore the IV system and the ages and ages and ages it takes to breed them. How did you find the IVs on your starter so quickly? I can see a general guide on the super training (the inner pentagon), but no numbers and it would take forever to level them up enough to get a read on the IVs through a calculator. I don't see how the super training is faster or easier than EV training with the items like the Power Bracers, especially if you had a Pokerus.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 13 Oct 2013, 18:04

ecocd wrote:I adore the IV system and the ages and ages and ages it takes to breed them. How did you find the IVs on your starter so quickly? I can see a general guide on the super training (the inner pentagon), but no numbers and it would take forever to level them up enough to get a read on the IVs through a calculator. I don't see how the super training is faster or easier than EV training with the items like the Power Bracers, especially if you had a Pokerus.

I've never had a Pokerus, but playing that game can get 12 to 24 evs a shot once you've unlocked the level 3 games.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Oct 2013, 18:33

nicholasmc1 wrote:Big questions to those that have played it, is x/y worth buying a 3DS for? I stopped playing pokemon after it moved to the DS because everything since Ruby looked like shit. It would cost me 300(AUD) to get an XL and the game. Thoughts?
Basically with Lurkon and Kapol on this one, but here's what I will say...
My guide for buying games (and some other forms of entertainment) is that if you can get about 1 hour of enjoyment out of every $1 you spend, it's worth it. Therefore, for $300, you better be getting 300 hours of play out of that game, which... I doubt.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 Oct 2013, 18:49

AdmiralMemo wrote:Basically with Lurkon and Kapol on this one, but here's what I will say...
My guide for buying games (and some other forms of entertainment) is that if you can get about 1 hour of enjoyment out of every $1 you spend, it's worth it. Therefore, for $300, you better be getting 300 hours of play out of that game, which... I doubt.

While I'm similar, I don't agree with you on the basic level. That idea treats all games the same. It's better, in my opinion, to figure out how many hours you expect to get, then figure out how much each hour cost. Then decide if that value is worth the cost to you. And the other problem is that, since he'd be buying a system, the logic would become more paying the money for the system to get that many hours out of it. Which he could do pretty easily if he finds other games.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Oct 2013, 18:53

Yeah, if he finds other games, but he was saying he'd buy the system just for 1 game...

And yeah, my system isn't really "hard and fast" and it's just the easy rule of thumb I go by, and I've "violated" it before.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 13 Oct 2013, 19:49

Would I put 300 hours into a game? My steam library says yes. In fact, due to it being free, I have infinity hours per dollar value from Dota 2 and TF2.

Would I put 300 hours into Pokemon? Maybe, probably not. But there are a lot of other games...
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Oct 2013, 01:14

I have Pokerus. I also have event Blaziken. It's roaring through the levels and leaving my normal pokemon behind. 10 level gap.
-
Value also depends on the value of your previous Pokemon. You can transfer Pokemans from Black/White/2 to X or Y.
Since I have 8 years of Pokemon, it was worth it for me.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Oct 2013, 09:31

Care to trade aome pokerus?
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 14 Oct 2013, 12:03

My current team:

Foxhound - Braixen
Vincent - Bulbasur
Fiora - Fletchinder
Asuna - Azurill
Lilly - Litleo
Erika - Pikachu

I totally have the cutest team evah.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 14 Oct 2013, 13:06

My current team:

Aegir - Froakie
Nuriel - Fletching
Torchic - Torchic
Metapod - Metapod

to be added

Tyr - Honedge
Azezal - Tyrunt
Fenris - Lacario

and either
Atum - Skiddo
or
Thanatos - Phantump
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 14 Oct 2013, 13:28

My team:
Rathalos - Charizard
Qurupeco - Talonflame
Cha-Cha - Pyroar
Gobul - Greninja
Uragaan - Tyrantrum

Looking for:
Gigginox - Noivern
Do a Pivot Table!

ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 14 Oct 2013, 18:17

Has anyone in the U.S. been able to trade using the GTS? Everytime I Seek a Pokemon and find a trading partner, I get a communication error and have to shut off my DS. Everything I put up to deposit is getting traded so either other people are able to make Seek trades or there's some sort of auto-matching going on in the background and someone else is depositing a Pokemon that matches my deposit and the trade is being executed that way.

And if I could rant for a moment, this has been a clusterf*** of a launch. It took over an hour to get through the store to buy the game, the Global Link was entirely overwhlemed and now it's down for 3 days? It's like they didn't know it was going to launch with 2+ million units. Nintendo is exclusive in this problem, of course, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
KiteNeravar

Postby KiteNeravar » 15 Oct 2013, 11:30

This is also the first generation where you can have your entire team consist one type of starter (fire, water, grass)
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Oct 2013, 14:40

I fancy having three fire/fighting types as a matter of fact.
-
Done the league.

My team is:

Noivern
Talonflame
Blaziken
Yveltal
Tyrantrum
Greninja
-
Special mention: Charizard who got replaced by Noivern.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 17 Oct 2013, 20:43

Friend Code:1676 3710 6485

FYI, in the post game, you're going to want as many people on your friend list as possible.
Image Image Image
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Oct 2013, 00:31

Don't save on the streets of mega city. It'll freeze your game, and then you'll have to google a solution.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 18 Oct 2013, 01:04

For anyone in here who is a Game Grumps fan, I made a thing. It's beatuiful. Image

Can you believe it only took me five minutes? I think I'm going to make five inute MS Paint artwork my thing. I'm super good at it.
Image Image Image
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 18 Oct 2013, 08:36

Wow....This gets really dark for a Pokemon game at times. D :
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 18 Oct 2013, 09:24

I don't know if it's the shift to 3D, but I find something deeply unsettling about the NPCs in this game.

Their movements, for one, are unnatural and stilted; when they were sprites, I didn't notice their lack of movement, but now that they're 3D models, the fact that they stand, perfectly still, until they suddenly jolt a step in one direction, is extremely unsettling. The player character moves like this too, but because I'm nearly ALWAYS moving I don't notice it with him. But with the NPCs... it's creepy.

Their dialog, though, is probably the worst part. It's inane and insipid and completely lacking in character. I don't know if it's always been this way and the fact that it's now coming out of 3D character models makes it worse, but it feels like the same platitudes that are always repeated in the first half of a Pokemon game (for the babies who are playing Pokemon for the first time, I guess) are somehow... flatter. Blander. More completely without any sort of warmth or character. I felt a little of this in Black and White, in some areas, but it wasn't this bad.

I don't know why, but it's really bothering me. I used to read all the text in Pokemon games, but now I find myself skipping it.

That, coupled with the terrible menus... (seriously why the hell is there still a "Deposit" setting on the computer?) I'm beginning to wonder if this may be my last Pokemon game. Am I growing out of Pokemon? I can't figure out if I've changed, or the games have changed. Or both.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Oct 2013, 11:05

I play the games primarily because it's the closest thing to having lots of pets and making them fight each other.
Second closest is pretending my cuddly toys are Pokemon.

Ditto, it's always been awful.
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 19 Oct 2013, 10:31

What I really like in X and Y is the "Poke-Amie" function. It's like a tamagochi thing, but it's a really cool feature. I mean, who couldn't love their little Pikachu squealing in delight when you feed it a treat. : D

However, I think it's in game events are a little OP. If you manage to get full relationship with your Pokemon they not only hit criticals more often, they can survive KOs (and not just from full health like with Hardy), while also being able to get rid of status effects, avoid attacks altogether and even get an EXP boost.

It's nice when you get a message such as "Pikachu looks at you with trusting eyes" but all the above effects makes it a little too easy IMO.

EDIT:

Oh another thing, MEGAevolution sucks. Used it once, and I really didn't notice a huge difference. I think it's better to have an item to boost attack than having then evolution stone.

Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 19 Oct 2013, 10:40

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:Oh another thing, MEGAevolution sucks. Used it once, and I really didn't notice a huge difference. I think it's better to have an item to boost attack than having then evolution stone.

Really? My MegaCharizardX is AWESOME. He goes from a straight up special-attacker to a more effective special-attacker that can ALSO do some pretty decent physical attacks. I also love the fact that I can change my resistances on the fly (losing flying for dragon presents me with some interesting decisions). That said, I haven't used any other megastones (save Lucario, of course), so maybe it isn't so great on other Pokemon.
Do a Pivot Table!

Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 19 Oct 2013, 10:48

Maybe it'll be better for P2P battles, but against most of the AI, it's fairly pointless.

Seeing as how only two bosses use MEGAevolution and neither MEGAGaurdious or MEGAGravidor presented much of a challenge is the reason I say this. Yes, MEGAGaurdious survived a Thunder attack from my Pikachu, but only with 1HP, so it was hardly game changing. The MEGAgravidor was the same with my Uberon.

LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 19 Oct 2013, 11:12

Okay, I've been playing Pokèmon since Gold and I genuinely don't have a clue about this...

What on earth are Special Attack/Defence?
KiteNeravar

Postby KiteNeravar » 19 Oct 2013, 11:28

LogicSword wrote:Okay, I've been playing Pokèmon since Gold and I genuinely don't have a clue about this...

What on earth are Special Attack/Defence?
Any attack that doesn't have your pokemon physically hit them is a Special Attack (Flame Thrower, Thunderbolt, etc) and I think ones that hit physically but have an element are Special Attacks too (thunder Punch, etc)

Return to “Video Games”