LRRcast for 2013-10-18

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Graham
Super Moderator

LRRcast for 2013-10-18

Postby Graham » 19 Oct 2013, 00:00

The crew talks about Enlightenment Gear and answer a butt-ton of your questions!
zarbit
First Video: CHustle - Resolved

Re: LRRcast for 2013-10-18

Postby zarbit » 19 Oct 2013, 05:09

It was an excellent surprise getting a stinger for a LRRcast! Kathleen's fervor is infectious.
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 19 Oct 2013, 07:29

Awwww that's so quaint Graham, you think kangaroos are dangerous. I mean relative to most Australian animals they are basically kitties.
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 19 Oct 2013, 07:43

I have lived in a number of places in Canada, and presently live in Edmonton. In my opinion of all of the "Western" Canadian Cities (excluding British Columbia) it is the most liberal and activity-filled out there! Good restaurants, street festivals pretty much every week during the summer months, a large mixture of different cultures and influences, etc. If you like hiking, biking, cross country skiing, etc, the Edmonton River Valley is HUGE (something like 10x the size of New York's Central Park). The two main universities are the University of Alberta (which I work for as a Research Chemist) which is a nice university with a lot going for it, but not really the prettiest campus in Canada; the other being Grant McEwan University which is a very pretty Urban Campus, but I know very little else about it. Additionally, 2 hours is all it takes to get to the Rocky Mountains and the beautiful towns of Jasper, Lake Louise, and Banff.

For the bad things: As they said, it gets "Freeze your balls off" cold in the winter, though compared to other cities like Winnipeg and Saskatoon, isn't anything special. It is also DRY AS FUCK here, with people (like me) who come from places which have heard of the concept of humidity having chronic nose-bleeds and whatnot. The people are generally nice, but the drivers are stupid as shit and nobody knows how to legally (or safely) ride a bike. The area immediately around Edmonton is also very flat and (for someone who grew up on the Canadian Shield) pretty barren as it is nothing but fields.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 19 Oct 2013, 13:23

"I eventually had to go down to the cellar"
"That's the display department-"
"With a torch."
"...the lights had probably gone"
"So had the stairs."
"But you found the notice didn't you?"
"Yes; it was on display at the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'. Ever thought of going into advertising?"

Didn't even have to Google that :)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 19 Oct 2013, 14:17

Just to give some slight info on it, I play League quite a lot and love when anybody brings it up. Most podcasts I listen to mention it in passing or seemed a little overwhelmed by it which is understandable.

To date there are 116 separate champions with, Jinx, The Loose Cannon, being the latest. Each champion has 5 abilities, 4 active and 1 passive as well as players, or summoners as they are called, having access to 2 summoner spells regardless of champion. Not counting active items, that gives 7 separate abilities each manifesting in their own way. So it's easy to see why fights could be a cluster fuck for, lacking a better term, uninitiated viewers.

However, what is displayed on screen isn't necessarily an accurate depiction of what is happening, and this is probably the biggest disconnect for new viewers. MOBA's were based off an RTS at the start so the game is as much unit and map management as it is pure visceral combat. When and where fights happen is important and is what can get seasoned viewers excited. Boiled down to its core, standard League of Legends matches are one big game of Assault. Each team has their objective, that of killing the opposing nexus. There are several obstacles in the way that need to be destroyed sequentially before said nexus is exposed. This leaves each team to just crush everything in their path, whether it be spines or buildings. However, due to the nature of the map there are sub objectives and possibilities that can turn the tide of battle.

The map itself is identical on each side, just having been mirrored over both the X and Y axis. This gives it 3 lanes each having at least 3 towers and an inhibitor. The inhibitor is the last in the line to be destroyed before the nexus's towers are exposed and the only building to regenerate completely. Living up to its name the Inhib stops damage to the nexus and/or it's towers, but also holds back super minions which are just the top tier cannon fodder. At least one Inhib must be down to access the Nexus.

Minions, are automatically spawning cannon fodder that run down their respective lanes as far as they can before dying. They are the main source of experience and income for the game. Each wave features 3 melee, 3 caster, or ranged, and the occasional tank, which is higher damage melee-esque.

However there is also the rest of the map, called the jungle which fills everything outside the main bases and is split via the river which runs corner to corner. There are various "camps" of mobs to be slaughtered, each giving gold and possible buffs to whoever nabs em. There are also 2 major secondary objectives, the dragon, and Baron. The dragon is just that, a smallish dragon killed for team wide money but usually too strong to solo early. Baron, short for Baron Nashor, however is another animal entirely. A 3 faced doom worm, he provides teamwide gold as well as a major buff to most stats to the team that slays him.

Finally there is the team composition, or comp for short. There are 5 slots available on a team, 3 lanes and 1 jungle, as well as 4 primary roles and 116 separate champions, all these variables add up to a psychotic amount of possibilities. The basic roles are as follows: Tank, AP Carry(APC), AD Carry(ADC), and Support(Supp). A tank is just that, a big beefy thing that soaks up damage and holds everyone else still so their teams damage can do their job. This is my favorite roll and my personal creed is; A good tank will make or break your team, and a better one will break theirs. The APC and ADC are two sides of the same coin, they will murder you, it just depends on whether they use Attack Damage (physical) or Ability Power (magical). Which they rely on only really matters if you're trying to NOT die to them. Finally Supp is the bitch of the team, so to speak. They provide vision on the map as well as anything from healing to additional buffs to more hold em still tech.

Oh yeah, there are also items from the shop which I mentioned in passing earlier. That in itself is a massive rabbit hole, but essentially; each champion has 6 item slots, items give passive bonus' while some come with an active ability that works as a another possible spell for fighting on top of it. Depending on their class each champion is expected, by the community, to build in a certain way, Mages building magic damage, tanks building defense, ect. The shop even offers counters to various things but, again, that's a long and complicated explanation.

It tried to make this as simple as possible but League, like Magic, can get really complicated really fast. Easy to pick up, but nigh impossible to master. However, as I describe it to people who ask, this is the Super Smash Brothers of nearly everything. Do you want to watch the Hulk scream like a bitch and run as a 6 year old girl's teddy bear beats the shit outta him? We can do that. We have pirates, we have ninjas, we have robots, zombies, and robot-zombies. For example, at time of writing, I can watch a match between: a female druid, a tiny man in a helichopper, a woman with a broken sword, a blind monk, and an immortal ice witch fight a sniper in a tophat, an archangel, a bad ass prince, bruce wayne with a hammer, and a steam powered golem.

If anyone has any questions or need some clarification feel free to inquire or if you want to play anytime, just pm me.
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Postby Omnicrat » 19 Oct 2013, 19:30

From 4:30 to 4:40 ... What is going on between Kathleen and Graham? Is it what I think it is? 'Cause it looks like what I think it is...
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 19 Oct 2013, 19:40

Omnicrat wrote:From 4:30 to 4:40 ... What is going on between Kathleen and Graham? Is it what I think it is? 'Cause it looks like what I think it is...
She thought it would be funny to make me uncomfortable by poking my thigh on camera. I guess it worked?
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Postby Omnicrat » 20 Oct 2013, 00:02

Graham wrote:
Omnicrat wrote:From 4:30 to 4:40 ... What is going on between Kathleen and Graham? Is it what I think it is? 'Cause it looks like what I think it is...
She thought it would be funny to make me uncomfortable by poking my thigh on camera. I guess it worked?

Suffice to say, that is not what I thought was happening. :P
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 20 Oct 2013, 09:27

Is it just me, or is there a cH (sub)plot involving Kathleen doing all she can to make Graham uncomfortable to satisfy her evil urges? :P
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 20 Oct 2013, 17:31

Bergie wrote:Is it just me, or is there a cH (sub)plot involving Kathleen doing all she can to make Graham uncomfortable to satisfy her evil urges? :P

I've noticed its kind of a running gag at least or is maybe just no PDA on camera kind of thing?
The Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby The Mimm » 21 Oct 2013, 00:24

Kathleen! Those auditory hallucinations you describe! They are actually quite common and are a symptom/side effect of anxiety/stress. The sensation of being out of time, slower or faster than your surroundings, or the sensation of echoing or having things out of time, is a result of chemical inbalance in your brain, similar to that which your average depression and anxiety sufferer will often have. I get them all the time, and this was explained to me by my doctor (but they are NHS, so take it with a pinch of salt)

(Also, 'it was in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "beware of the leopard".')
Life's like a movie, write your own ending,
Keep believing, keep pretending
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 22 Oct 2013, 15:12

I've never heard what The Mimm said before, but I have heard of the phenomenon; Tachypsychia is the term used to describe a neurological alteration of the perception of time. It's commonly brought on by an adrenal response, which most people get in frightening situations that make their heart race (the "fight or flight" response).

Sometimes if you talk to two people who were in a car crash, one might say "I saw a flash, then it was over" (time sped up), while another might be able to describe in detail every little thing that happened (time slowed down).

It can also happen in a dream state, so maybe if you experience it while resting, your mind is drifting off to sleep?

In any case, if you're concerned about it, ask your doctor.
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
wmcduff
First Video: Maybe Quantum Documentary?

Postby wmcduff » 28 Oct 2013, 17:06

I'd like to blame Kathleen for the fact I have yummy, yummy quiche for dinner tonight. Thank you! :lol:

(Sausage, bacon, broccoli, onion, shallots, mushrooms and green pepper, with a basic mozza/cheddar blend, for the curious...)
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 28 Oct 2013, 18:04

The Mimm wrote:(Also, 'it was in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "beware of the leopard".')

From memory:
DENT: You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to draw much attention to them, had you? Like actually telling anyone?

PROSSER: The plans were on display.

DENT: And how many people are in the habit of casually dropping around the local planning office of an evening? It's not exactly a noted social venue, is it? And even if you did pop in on the offchance that some raving bureaucrat wanted to knock your house down, the plans weren't immediately obvious to the eye, were they?

PROSSER: That depends where you were looking.

DENT: I eventually had to go down to the cellar!

PROSSER: That's the display department.

DENT: With a torch!

PROSSER: ... The lights had probably gone.

DENT: So had the stairs.

PROSSER: Well, you found the notice, didn't you?

DENT: Oh, yes. It was on display at the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard". Ever thought of going into advertising?

[edit] Listening again... I see I misremembered the occasional minor word, but overall pretty close. Woo.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 28 Oct 2013, 23:14

I know this is supposed to be an massive exageration to make the joke but when I was splitting my property into two equal lots, each equal to every other lot on my block but 200 Square feet smaller than the "current minimum lot size" I had to appear before 4 boards.

In reverse order
City council--in the city council chambers the entire top floor of city hall.
Building Commission-- in the city council chambers the entire top floor of city hall.
Planning Board-- in the building department meeting room which were right inside the main lobby of the building departments building with a big sign out front.
Building Variance committee-- in the basement of a old church the main floor of which is being renovated, I had to park at a public park across the street and down about a 1/4 mile because of the 8 available parking spots in the church parking lot not taken up by construction equipment, the only one available was the handi-cap spot. When I came into the room, which had a sign written in pencil that said "meeting of variance" or something like that, the people inside were chatting away in what looked like an AA meeting, circle of chairs with a 1940's coffee pot in the corner, when I poked my head in the door one of the people said "excuse me we are having a meeting" so I appologised and asked if they could direct me to the Building Variance committee room because I was supposed to meet with them tonight, they looked shocked and said to come in.

After I got approved by that board, and submitted my application to appear before the planning board the clerk was like "oh before you go to the planning board you have to appear before the Building Variance committee" When I said I had and they had approved me she looked really confused like she had never had anyone actually find them and get approved before and called someone on the phone and was like "no he said he already went"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
GaProgMan
First Video: 1337 - 64K

Postby GaProgMan » 01 Nov 2013, 06:45

The Mimm wrote:Kathleen! They are actually quite common and are a symptom/side effect of anxiety/stress. The sensation of being out of time, slower or faster than your surroundings, or the sensation of echoing or having things out of time, is a result of chemical inbalance in your brain, similar to that which your average depression and anxiety sufferer will often have.

I used to get this, all the time, as a teenager. I would feel like time was running normally, but my body could move super quickly. but so quickly that I couldn't control my arms correctly. I always used to get it at night, though. Thanks for (possibly) being able to answer something that's had me confused for ten, rather long years.
Avatar image is part of Vanilla Jester's Draw-A-Thing series on LRR forumers

Return to “LRRcast”