DB007

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Re: DB007

Postby Tally » 29 Oct 2013, 08:06

Lord Hosk wrote:OK idea for a co-desert bus charity event.

Desert Bike for hope. You get on a bike on day one of desert bus, and ride the 450ish miles from Tuscon to Las Vegas. When I thought of this I thought it would be a insanely difficult test of endurance and a triumph of the human spirit.

But now that I am looking into it, A standard bike can cruise at 10-15 MPH which means if you ride for 6-8 hours a day you could make it in under 6 days. It seems more of a dedicated endurance test, rather than a insane one. It wouldn't be a cake walk but I think its doable.

But have you ever actually spent 6-8 hours on a bike? That's a LONG time. After just a 2-hour ride my butt was absolutely killing me. I think this still sounds like high level stuff (kind of awesome, though).
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 29 Oct 2013, 08:36

A friend's mum recently did the Lands End to John O'Groats cycle, which is (from memory) at least 600 miles and takes 5 days I believe? And it's a popular run too, hundreds tackle it every year. Admittedly Britain, even during the summer, isn't going to rival Arizona for uncomfortable riding conditions, but it's certainly doable. After you get used to it, people can just keep on biking for hours on end.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 29 Oct 2013, 10:17

I have done 6 hours on a bike before. You really get into a rhythm I think it would be more about getting extra distance in day one and two because you arent going to want to do anything day three.

I think I could do it, if things hold up as they are now for me, I will do this for DB10.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 29 Oct 2013, 11:38

Last edited by Lord Hosk on 29 Oct 2013, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 29 Oct 2013, 11:44

YEAH! Love it!!!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Oct 2013, 11:46

I do 2.5 miles in 20-15 minutes. So that sounds doable for me too. If there was a possible chance for me to do that I'd be up for it. I'd probably be destroyed for a long time.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 29 Oct 2013, 13:15

I've spent 4 hours on a bike and I must confess it wasn't easy. While you do get in a rhythm after a while, 6-8 hours should probably not be tried without a lot of practice.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 29 Oct 2013, 18:38

Okay, what's available for lodging on the Tuscon-Vegas road? *checks Google Maps*

Um, so you think one can still keep up that 10-15mph for eight hours (out of 24) pace with a tent, bedroll and food&water for a couple of days - looks like a few really long stretches where there's NOTHING on 93...probably the reason Penn & Teller chose that route to virtualize for their game...

But yeah, keeping up eight hours out of a whole day doesn't sound bad at all - maybe two hours at a time, with half-hour breaks? That becomes ten hours, and then you've got another fourteen hours to rest, squeeze some meal breaks in between, sleep, etc. Still wanna get in some practice at long-duration cycling before trying something like this, of course.

Dude, if you were to get me down to Tuscon, and provide the bike and gear, I'd totally ride with you - a group would make better time; share the load, etc.

*wistful sigh*

ANYWAYS, I totally support Tally's idea for DB007!

...hmmm...this makes me wanna plan a cosplay while I watch DB... :twisted:
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 29 Oct 2013, 19:14

Easiest way to handle the camping equipment would be to have a friend going with you in a van.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 29 Oct 2013, 19:19

I'd ride a bus between Tucson and Las Vegas...
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 29 Oct 2013, 19:35

I think James is mad that he didn't get the white bikini.

[–]Graham_LRR
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 29 Oct 2013, 19:59

Produced by Albert "Clubby" Broccoli.
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 30 Oct 2013, 02:28

empath wrote:Okay, what's available for lodging on the Tuscon-Vegas road? *checks Google Maps*

Um, so you think one can still keep up that 10-15mph for eight hours (out of 24) pace with a tent, bedroll and food&water for a couple of days - looks like a few really long stretches where there's NOTHING on 93...probably the reason Penn & Teller chose that route to virtualize for their game...

But yeah, keeping up eight hours out of a whole day doesn't sound bad at all - maybe two hours at a time, with half-hour breaks? That becomes ten hours, and then you've got another fourteen hours to rest, squeeze some meal breaks in between, sleep, etc. Still wanna get in some practice at long-duration cycling before trying something like this, of course.

Dude, if you were to get me down to Tuscon, and provide the bike and gear, I'd totally ride with you - a group would make better time; share the load, etc.

*wistful sigh*

Master Gunner wrote:Easiest way to handle the camping equipment would be to have a friend going with you in a van.

I like this idea. I might even be crazy enough to volunteer.

Yeah you would want a support van with a spare bike, tons of water and other supplies. You also don't necessarily have to sleep at the same place you stop every night - your support crew could

Google Maps says 36 hours by bike from Tucson to Las Vegas. Cops For Cancer Tour de Rock, a charity event where police and local media bicycle around Vancouver Island to raise money for the Canadian Cancer Society, does over 1000 km in 14 days including numorous public appearences.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 30 Oct 2013, 03:22

What you do have to consider is the heat. Since isn't most of the route desert? Cycling that sort of distance is not that hard, especially seeing as it would be mainly a flat road (I think) without major inclines, it'll just be the weather that'll be the problem.

Though saying that, I don't know what the temperatures are like for this time of year.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Oct 2013, 03:50

In November, it looks like Arizona ranges between 9 and 24 degrees (Celsius) on average.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
empath

Postby empath » 30 Oct 2013, 12:42

Good point; with desert climate in autumn, the cycling 'segments' would probably be early morning and late afternoon; midday 'lunch' break would be in the air-conditioned support van, and evening to dawn would be leaving marker, then driving to nearest accommodations, supper, clean up, 'decompress', sleep, breakfast, warm up, and return to the marker to continue.

...as handy as it makes things, on the other hand you HAVE raised to overhead on getting this fundraiser going substantially. :?
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 30 Oct 2013, 13:12

If I could save up funds I'd be tempted to join your for this... Give me an excuse to get cycling again.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 30 Oct 2013, 14:02

This was just an idea that came to me it isn't something I am planning on doing any time soon. However it might be something I would consider for like DB10 once my kids are a little older and can help mommy out for a week.

[–]Graham_LRR
empath

Postby empath » 30 Oct 2013, 14:32

It's a date. ;)

Maybe in three years I might be at a point where I could afford to travel again. :D
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 30 Oct 2013, 15:40

Does anybody know why donor accounts can't use gmail? What email provider am I supposed to use?
Dix

Postby Dix » 30 Oct 2013, 17:40

Tally wrote:But have you ever actually spent 6-8 hours on a bike? That's a LONG time. After just a 2-hour ride my butt was absolutely killing me. I think this still sounds like high level stuff (kind of awesome, though).

I'm doing a 35 mile bike ride on Saturday. I was considering one of the longer routes for this particular ride but I'm still getting used to my road bike.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
MatParker116
First Video: Unskippable

Postby MatParker116 » 31 Oct 2013, 06:26

There are some huge mountains in Arizona that include gradients of up to 20% and having ridden up that gradient in Italy (I.E I got off and walked up) I would not recommend climbing that.
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 31 Oct 2013, 08:25

Pshaw, you guys aren't thinking big enough. ;)

I give you: Project Space Bus for Hope

(Apologies for cross-posting from the Kerbal Space Program thread, but I felt this fit in here too)
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

Twitter | Twitch

empath

Postby empath » 31 Oct 2013, 19:28

Apologies accepted and similarly extended while pointing out that you seemed to have missed the THEME of DB007...

But, what you have offered can fit right in with the rest of this with very little work:

"DB007 - MoonbaseRaker" (someone wanna 'shoop some dapperly-dressed Crew members onto that great pic?)
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 31 Oct 2013, 21:03

empath wrote:Apologies accepted and similarly extended while pointing out that you seemed to have missed the THEME of DB007...

But, what you have offered can fit right in with the rest of this with very little work:

"DB007 - MoonbaseRaker" (someone wanna 'shoop some dapperly-dressed Crew members onto that great pic?)

Well, I've had this idea since last Desert Bus and would have done it regardless of theme, but point taken. ;)

Twitter | Twitch

Return to “General Discussion”