Disability and gaming

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Danzama
First Video: Wireless

Disability and gaming

Postby Danzama » 01 Nov 2013, 17:24

Hi, I'm doing some private research into gamers. This research specifically relates to disability or lack thereof in gamers.

I myself have multiple disabilities that affect how I game. For those interested they are:

Occulocutanious albinism
Photophobia
Nystagmus
An astigmatism
Severe lack of depth perception
A visual acuity of: L 3:60 R 2:60
(If these need explaining further, or have any questions, feel free to message.)

As such I play with the screen near next to my face, in a dark room (unless at night, then I use a lamp), with the textures at a low quality, and mid resolution.

If anyone here has a disability/disabilities that impact their gaming, would you be willing to discuss it below, or message me regarding it.

I would also like to know about the conditions gamers without disabilities play in.

Thanks.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: Disability and gaming

Postby Jamfalcon » 01 Nov 2013, 18:32

Danzama wrote:I would also like to know about the conditions gamers without disabilities play in.

I sit about two feet from my 20 inch screen, sometimes a little further when using a controller. I usually run games at my native resolution of 1680x1050, with the textures turned up as high as my computer will allow.

My current room has a pretty dim light, which I leave on, but the room I played in previously was quite bright and usually wasn't a big problem. I do often have to close the curtain on my window, because it's directly behind my monitor and is sometimes painfully bright in the afternoon.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions, if you want more detail.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 01 Nov 2013, 19:10

I can't speak from personal experience, but I can forward this on to some people I know if you'd like?
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 01 Nov 2013, 19:14

I'm technically a perfectly able person so my habits are completely arbitrary though I do have a preference for dark rooms when playing but that just to improve monitor/tv contrast. BUT I do develop games and I'm really keen to do my bit and help support disabled gamers. I will be following this thread with a keen eye.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 02 Nov 2013, 00:48

Aside from having to wear glasses, I have nothing hindering me duringgaming, but I did find this great guide on making games fit for people with disabilities last year. You probably already found it, but just in case you didn't: http://includification.com/

As for the conditions I game in: Well-lighted room a pretty standard distance from the screen. About 4 meters for console and around 1,5 meters for PC (guestimations)
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Nov 2013, 02:58

I have oral dyspraxia, but I don't really know to what extent that affects me.

I have difficulties being vocal on VOIP, sometimes lacking confidence, mind some things difficult. But these are things which "normal" people find difficult to, so I don't know if that's just typical human or dyspraxia.

I do find control of my feet hard sometimes (I often kick table/chair legs with my feet), but thankfully there are no real games that use the feet - yet.

I am also short-sighted. -4,25 each eye. But, the work around short-sightedness is rather easy (glasses/contact lenses).
D'Arcy
First Video: Something from season 2 or 3

Postby D'Arcy » 04 Nov 2013, 12:01

I have Erb's Palsy in my right arm, and has the most dramatic effect on my hand. What this means, more or less, is that I don't have a full range of motion in my arm or wrist, and lack some fine motor skill with my fingers. For the most part, I have no problem play games. My hand can get tired after playing DS or something, but overall I have no problem on MOST consoles. HOWEVER, I have an incredibly difficult time with motion controls, and especially with a console like the Wii. As I lack a range of motion in both my right arm and wrist, and it is harder to push the buttons for me, I just can't play the Wii without a lot of difficulty.
I write about videogames over at http://www.hbhud.com

Don’t expect great things, already know that it’s great and match it.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 04 Nov 2013, 12:12

I'm incredibly short-sighted with -5 and -5,5 in each eye, so extended bouts of gameplay - especially at the end of the day, while wearing contact lenses - fuck up my eyeballs. Other than that I can't think of anything. I don't even consider myopia a disability.
Hepheastus
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Postby Hepheastus » 05 Nov 2013, 06:16

I have Insomnia So I tend to play a lot of games in the middle of the night to pass the time/ till I think I can actually sleep
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
nicholasmc1

Postby nicholasmc1 » 10 Nov 2013, 20:27

Hey guys, I was working on player input/graphics/audio customisation in my current project and was wondering, what options do you all appreciate as players that you are able to modify?
D'Arcy

Postby D'Arcy » 10 Nov 2013, 22:05

nicholasmc1 wrote:Hey guys, I was working on player input/graphics/audio customisation in my current project and was wondering, what options do you all appreciate as players that you are able to modify?

Not sure what platforms you're working on, but if it uses motion controls, provide the option for a more traditional control style.

Different colour modes are great for many users too.

RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 11 Nov 2013, 02:25

Yeah, always make colorblind options. The number of games that forget this is just appalling. It should be mandatory or something.

Grab the guide in the link I posted above, it has a great list of suggestions what to include.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 11 Nov 2013, 22:04

I used to have bad arthritis in my hands which made it very difficult to play any computer game that required the keyboard to be used as opposed to just the mouse.

I'm completely better now, somehow, but I still have coordination problems so I much prefer using only a mouse. That does influence the games I'll play.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 12 Nov 2013, 02:14

You'll also want customisable controls. Some left-handed people just can't play WASD. They use the mouse on the left hand of the keyboard and the arrow keys.

Some are fine with the traditional method but some just can't.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 Nov 2013, 07:00

I find playing games like Diablo 3 where you rest your left fingers on 1,2,3 and 4 for hours upon hours makes my 'little finger' go numb semi-permanently.

It means when I try to play the violin (and use 4th finger to play C#/G#/D#/Bb) I find it a great challenge.
Over time (hours/days) the feeling returns however.
nicholasmc1

Postby nicholasmc1 » 14 Nov 2013, 18:42

This has all been super helpful, when I get time I'll be adding the last of my accessibility options to the exhibit.
nicholasmc1

Postby nicholasmc1 » 19 Nov 2013, 17:09

Question, how do you guys feel about the oculus rift?
D'Arcy

Postby D'Arcy » 19 Nov 2013, 22:07

I'm actually really interested in it, outside of horror game application.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Nov 2013, 04:14

I've always been wanted an immersive VR Pokemon game.
Oculus Rift might offer this experience I had been hoping for.
nicholasmc1

Postby nicholasmc1 » 24 Nov 2013, 17:34

I was actually wondering with regards to this threads main topic. Personally I love the idea of someone basically getting a whole new input device if they are say missing an arm or have a disabled hand.
D'Arcy

Postby D'Arcy » 25 Feb 2014, 13:24

News is that Sony has started working on a VR device of their own, rather than working with Oculus. Could be cool for games like The Witness.

Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 25 Feb 2014, 14:20

I have an ongoing, unknown problem with my right arm, which causes pain from the knuckles up to the elbow. There's a baseline of constant pain which can (and does) easily flare when doing something of even minor complexity or lifting minor weights (like typing, clicking a mouse, or holding a controller). Sometimes it will flare up for no reason too, just for fun. I should note I'm right-handed, too.

So, yeah, I can have problems gaming. Not sure if it applies, given it's supposedly a temporary thing, but since it's been 4 years for 24/7 at this point, I figured it's at least annoying enough to vent about. :P
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Feb 2014, 02:52

Are you able to support your arm during use?
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 26 Feb 2014, 05:28

In what way? Like a sling or a brace? I mean I've tried practically any suggestion made over the last four years to no effect, so I'm not sure if it'd make much of a difference. Got offered an exorcism once, but I doubt I'll be taking that offer.

I use one of those athletic support braces at work mostly so people avoid asking me to lift things for them (doesn't stop them fully :P), and it sometimes shortens the length of a "high" level flare, but I've found nothing to stop it entirely.
TwistedShout
First Video: Rapidfire Episode 3;I think.

Postby TwistedShout » 26 Feb 2014, 10:33

Hi! for my part I have chromesthesia(sound into colour synesthesia),It's honestly not something which impacts too many games I play,audio settings on my computer or sound system tend to leave things manageable regardless of what the game itself offers.
separate sliders for game audio;speech and music are helpful and fairly obliquitous for most games. And honestly half of my issues are as much being fussy about audio as avoiding inducing sounds driving me mental.

I tend to play either with earbuds in;or headphones around my neck if I'm trying to avoid something.

Having gone to a decent number of synesthete events and meetups when I'm local enough to one,I really became aware of the variation,and of just how may options people find themselves going to when it comes to managing disability. customizability and a bit of flexible control are just about the best thing to see when going to a menu.

Basically,If totalbiscuit can go to the menu and not become really angry at the lack of options and sliders,It's a great start. :p

Return to “Video Games”