Agents of SHIELD: Whadidyathink?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Re: Agents of SHIELD: Whadidyathink?

Postby RedNightmare » 25 Oct 2013, 05:23

From a story point of view I really like this episode. Not specifically the plot of the episode itself (nothing wrong with it, though), but the fact Skye's secret came out and that her actions seem to have consequences (at least for now).
I hate it when shows stretch their arcs way to long and no progress is made for 10 episodes. Here's hoping this is a trend that the series will keep following.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 26 Oct 2013, 00:28

My thoughts on X-Men and Spider-Man in AoS:
The movie rights to both X-Men and Spider-Man are not available, but the series rights are, so I think they might mention the X-Men at some point(Maybe if they say that S.H.I.E.L.D. had some involvement in starting the X-Men? As in, maybe they're friendly(Or become friendly) with Professor X(Fingers crossed for Patrick Stewart) and give him what he needs to start the whole thing up?).
As for Spider-Man, he should appear very occasionally(Maybe once or twice a Season at the most). The reason is that he would overshadow the main characters if he appeared too much. The best way to do it, IMO, is to have Spidey's involvement with S.H.I.E.L.D. similar to his involvement with them in the 1990s animated series, where Spidey helps them out when it majorly concerns him(Maybe if a villain attacks his Aunt May or one of his close friends?), and S.H.I.E.L.D. are having trouble with whatever it is, or S.H.I.E.L.D. help Spidey when it is a huge thing that he isn't handling too well.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 26 Oct 2013, 06:39

Yeah I could see Spiderman helping shield if there was some major battle in new york, his home town, like a alien invasion where he could stick people to a wall or stick the back of their air-jetskis to a wall so they go smash...

What Im saying is that The X-men and spidy are out unless they get the film rights back too. maybe Xmen get a mention but I doubt it, and defiantly no Sir Patric Stewart, that would be a direct movie hit.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Nov 2013, 06:57

Decent episode this week focusing on Fitz-Simmons.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 06 Nov 2013, 09:26

Definitely more than "decent." I am really starting to like this show a lot and would be very sad if it got canceled.
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 06 Nov 2013, 13:31

I liked this one a lot too. Characters are what makes or breaks a story and it was great to get some development/insight for all of them (except maybe Skye, but she's had enough time in the spotlight before).

So many little things that worked for me, like Skye hugging Simmons and Ward just being eaten up about not being more than a dumb brute (which he readily admits).

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Nov 2013, 12:46

This one was a little better, I still dont think it was good in execution but.

The fact that they noted the invasion which was a big event and has lasting ramifications in the world outside of shield was a nice touch. I dont know that the way they did it was so amazing but the concept was good.

Giving Scientist one and Scientist two much more depth and giving the actors a chance to stretch was nice too. but the "person on the team is in trouble and they are the only one who can help themselves" was a little meh. and the "we have three chances and the third one didnt work OR DID IT?" was meh.

I did like that, one it was a character episode, and two it was something that kinda made sense to have "the team" deal with.

I especially liked the Coulson cavalry interactions at the end, they really showed that they understood their characters and we learned a little more about Cavalry, which I think everyone suspected.

I still think Handsome MC Hunky is a bland character. "Wait someone is in danger? let me rush to the rescue! Cause thats what I do!"

Side note as a rigger the ending jump was really annoying.

1. He would have been hard pressed to get that chute on in free fall without tumbling madly with two hands much less one handed holding a special super device. Its hard enough to rig up by yourself on the ground.
2. From that altitude, she hit the water before he left the plane.
3. If she didnt the gap in time was certainly more than could be overcome by "diving"
4. If somehow he did close the gap they were traveling at or close to 120MPH when he "grabbed her and pulled the cord?" You know why parachutes have 6 straps? because if you just had two under your arms, they could rip them off. With that type of parachute the decelerate more than 100MPH in a tenth of a second you dont "just wrap your arm around someone" its a very traumatic POP. The only way that can happen is person two tucks both arms under the straps, person one holds on and they interlock their legs and even then you try to wait until you are close to the ground/water, so that you decelerate before the impact rather than try to land under a deployed chute.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 07 Nov 2013, 15:21

Trisha Lynn wrote:Definitely more than "decent." I am really starting to like this show a lot and would be very sad if it got canceled.

Yeah, I almost got a hint of that with the stinger for this episode; almost the Whedons saying the same thing to ABC that Coulson said to Blake. ;)
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 10 Nov 2013, 13:35

(Just watched it -- I've been unable to until now)
Good episode, although it was very un-Whedon for Simmons to survive. Having said that, I still liked it. Especially the stinger(It's nice to get some more information on what's going on with Coulson).
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 10 Nov 2013, 13:49

I disagree, with you Robo4900

Whedon doesn't kill of main characters until we grow to love them and its a shocking unexpected loss

[–]Graham_LRR
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Nov 2013, 17:57

Huh. I was right about the plane's engines. I am appoint.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Nov 2013, 21:32

I hesitate to say this but this episode (deep breath) wasnt bad

[–]Graham_LRR
Angnor

Postby Angnor » 13 Nov 2013, 08:48

Although it's been a little uneven, I'm having fun with the series.

And while the hints about what's really going on with Coulson have been a little heavy-handed at times, I liked how he caught himself when calling Tahiti 'A magical place' this episode.
J. B. S. Haldane wrote:I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 13 Nov 2013, 14:46

Sitwell's patsy really IS legendary, isn't it? ;)
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 14 Nov 2013, 01:28

Angnor wrote:Although it's been a little uneven, I'm having fun with the series.

And while the hints about what's really going on with Coulson have been a little heavy-handed at times, I liked how he caught himself when calling Tahiti 'A magical place' this episode.

Yeah, I liked that too. He's noticing his own repetition.

I liked the mixed pairing of this episode and Fitz not being a bumbling fool, that was quite refreshing. He didn't build up to a competent agent, he was one from the start.

Also, Ming-Na Wen absolutely nailed that scene with Coulson just talking to her. Amazing actress!

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Nov 2013, 01:39

The way Fitz was having a go at Mr. Hero for being Mr. Hero I'm wondering if Whedon is being really clever.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
MatParker116
First Video: Unskippable

Postby MatParker116 » 14 Nov 2013, 02:52

Another ratings skid for this show unless the Thor tie in episode rebounds the show in the ratings department I can't see this show lasting more than two seasons. Hell I'd consider rebooting the show midseason.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 15 Nov 2013, 14:47

I think it's finally hit its stride with these last 2 episodes.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 20 Nov 2013, 09:04

I totally loved this episode and I 'ship May and Ward so hard that they've got bruises.

And if I'm right about them having had more than just whiskey and commiseration and perhaps some tai chi in her hotel room at the end of the episode, their bruises will be having bruises from all the rage-sex.

Also, the guest star was amazing and I love how the Coulson mystery is deepening. It's a much better plot thread to have going through this season than the what's the deal with Skye's past one.

Trisha Lynn
...I'll be in my bunk...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 20 Nov 2013, 16:11

It took me a moment to realize where I recognized it from, but I loved the Dollhouse reference.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 20 Nov 2013, 23:46

Did I fall asleep?
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 24 Nov 2013, 03:17

JayBlanc wrote:Did I fall asleep?

For a little while

Loved that.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Nov 2013, 06:02

I wonder how much this show was supposed to focus on the "outside viewer analog" of Gwen Cooper, wait no... Skye but they realized that Chloe Bennet doesn't have the acting chops to pull it off. I think they are also getting that the fanbase doesn't really need a way to access the strange and crazy we just accept that its a part of the world. So they are reducing chloe to the back ground and pulling Ming-Na Wen forward since she does have mad skills.

I still dont feel that Mc Hunkey is getting any depth, even the stuff they focused on in this episode dont really make me care about him.

[–]Graham_LRR
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 24 Nov 2013, 14:06

The mystery thicken!
I'm so glad the show is getting to be quite good, at least for me.
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 27 Nov 2013, 03:59

I liked the latest episode too. We get a resolution from last weeks stinger (which seemed very mature about it) and a mystery that doesn't get completely resolved at the end.

Also, learning what May's past is again gets another secret moving instead of nurturing it forever, esspecially as the stinger shows there is already some healing going on.

Lastly, for some reason this episode didn't feel like having any character being the focus. Everyone was an equal part of the episode and got their little character moments.

Return to “General Discussion”