DB007

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Re: DB007

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 04 Nov 2013, 16:31

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:I second all whale phalli expressed here. Someone light the Graham-beacon...

You mean the giant spinning beachball?
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 04 Nov 2013, 18:27

Bacon? I love bacon!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
D'Arcy
First Video: Something from season 2 or 3

Postby D'Arcy » 05 Nov 2013, 09:07

Would you love Graham-bacon?
I write about videogames over at http://www.hbhud.com

Don’t expect great things, already know that it’s great and match it.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 05 Nov 2013, 09:14

Canadian Bacon? sure!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 05 Nov 2013, 14:41

Lord Hosk wrote:Canadian Bacon? sure!

The concept of Canadian Bacon just got way more horrifying.

Makes me glad I'm a vegetarian.
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 05 Nov 2013, 17:08

AlexNoKitty.wav
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 06 Nov 2013, 16:33

Ok Can someone explain what challenges are during desert bus?
First Video: Poker Before Dusk

Postby Wolfwood723 » 06 Nov 2013, 17:00

Well by having an account on Desertbus.org you can submit any kind of challenge you want to the crew. And if they like it they'll do it. If they do it then feel free to donate. They run on a busking system now too so if you like anything they do whether its your challenge or not you can donate.
ObiWan Canadian on twitch and XBL
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 06 Nov 2013, 21:18

Pimpin J wrote:Ok Can someone explain what challenges are during desert bus?

During Desert bus, the crew is our dancing monkeys, they do whatever we want them to in order to raise money for the children. Anything you want to challenge them to do feel free.

Last year the system was that they would take challenges which would fill up in a pool, and anytime there was a lull they would randomly select some and if it was possible, they would do it. The only challenges they generated and didn't perform were ones that requested a specific person who wasn't there and a couple that "weren't PG13" They really try to maintain the PG level with the occasional adult slip up. The pool would periodically be purged so it wouldn't get too insane but you can resubmit after the purge. This also prevents the issue they had of "Viewer X really wants to see Paul eat a taco" (paul eats a taco) "there you go Viewer X" (two hours later Viewer X gets home from work and is upset because he really wanted to see Paul eat a taco and missed it)

Some notable challenge groups have been; Paul puts things on his head, they reenact a LRR sketch, they play a board,RP, or Card game, anyone sings a song, or a specific person sings a song.

It used to be "challenge us do to something for a certain amount of donation" but they spent so much time trying to track people down to donate and or struggling to perform things because someone had already donated. For example someone would give $100 for Morgan and Jer to sing the ren and stimpy theme song but Morgan and Jer were rarely in the room together because their schedules didnt match up so for two days it was "wait is jer is here is morgan still here? jer wait here a minute someone go find morgan... We think hes in the bathroom, (10 minutes later) Oh he left 20 minutes ago, sorry, we will try again later.

So as of DB6 its "we do challenges, if you like what we do, donate however much you think it was worth"

You could still include a donation amount in the request but it was on you. For example, one of my challenges was "I will donate $10 if you will raise $100,000 for a children's charity, and then raise $100,000 more for that same charity" when they crossed $200,000 Graham was like "hey hosk, challenge accepted, AND DONE" or something like that, so I donated $10.

[–]Graham_LRR
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 07 Nov 2013, 04:53

11 more hours to go until I've seen the entirety of DB6...

I'm gonna be so ready :)
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Wolfwood723
First Video: Poker Before Dusk

Postby Wolfwood723 » 07 Nov 2013, 10:41

Drecon wrote:11 more hours to go until I've seen the entirety of DB6...

I'm gonna be so ready :)

You know you really have to watch the whole thing twice to get all the subtext. That or I have way too much time on my hands.
ObiWan Canadian on twitch and XBL
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 07 Nov 2013, 11:18

Or watch it backward for the terrible tale of a bunch of people being forces to dance for out amusement as callers hang up on them, buy random things from online chats and hemorrhage cash.

Also fantastic video, Phil. I dearly hope that makes it in to the broadcast
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Nov 2013, 12:22

Graham has lit the beacon of Busamon Anwa! the moonbase calls for aid, will the runners answer?

Graham here, and I need your help! Specifically, with this year’s achievement graphics...

Deserbus.org

[–]Graham_LRR
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 07 Nov 2013, 12:23

He is about to get an debilitating amount of help, I think.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Nov 2013, 12:25

I wish I was at home, I would have made a gif...

[–]Graham_LRR
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 07 Nov 2013, 13:12

Anybody think this is too much of a dash of color? Image
(Yeah, lazy, I know...)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 07 Nov 2013, 13:53

Also, how is this?
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 07 Nov 2013, 14:32

For the achievement icons remember what size they will displayed at.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 07 Nov 2013, 15:36

For the runners logo, convert it to all white. Don't just paste the original on, it has way too much color to fit the theme.

The bus is good, though it seems a smidge wide. Also, a lot of that detail is going to be invisible. I'd use the accent orange to make the headlights orange, rather than... whatever those random spots are.

Zoom out to make the icon really small and see how it looks. I'll bet a lot of the lines are too thin to show up when the icon is shrunk.
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 07 Nov 2013, 16:16

Lord Hosk wrote:
Pimpin J wrote:Ok Can someone explain what challenges are during desert bus?

During Desert bus, the crew is our dancing monkeys, they do whatever we want them to in order to raise money for the children. Anything you want to challenge them to do feel free.

Last year the system was that they would take challenges which would fill up in a pool, and anytime there was a lull they would randomly select some and if it was possible, they would do it. The only challenges they generated and didn't perform were ones that requested a specific person who wasn't there and a couple that "weren't PG13" They really try to maintain the PG level with the occasional adult slip up. The pool would periodically be purged so it wouldn't get too insane but you can resubmit after the purge. This also prevents the issue they had of "Viewer X really wants to see Paul eat a taco" (paul eats a taco) "there you go Viewer X" (two hours later Viewer X gets home from work and is upset because he really wanted to see Paul eat a taco and missed it)

Some notable challenge groups have been; Paul puts things on his head, they reenact a LRR sketch, they play a board,RP, or Card game, anyone sings a song, or a specific person sings a song.

It used to be "challenge us do to something for a certain amount of donation" but they spent so much time trying to track people down to donate and or struggling to perform things because someone had already donated. For example someone would give $100 for Morgan and Jer to sing the ren and stimpy theme song but Morgan and Jer were rarely in the room together because their schedules didnt match up so for two days it was "wait is jer is here is morgan still here? jer wait here a minute someone go find morgan... We think hes in the bathroom, (10 minutes later) Oh he left 20 minutes ago, sorry, we will try again later.

So as of DB6 its "we do challenges, if you like what we do, donate however much you think it was worth"

You could still include a donation amount in the request but it was on you. For example, one of my challenges was "I will donate $10 if you will raise $100,000 for a children's charity, and then raise $100,000 more for that same charity" when they crossed $200,000 Graham was like "hey hosk, challenge accepted, AND DONE" or something like that, so I donated $10.

So for example I could challenge Graham to sing Winter Wrap up from MLP with Matt and to do it with feeling and if the does it I will give $x amount.

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Nov 2013, 19:23

You could make that challenge,but keep in mind A lot of people make challenges and they dont constantly just do challenges.

Also two specific people doing a specific thing can be difficult so dont be disappointed if it doesnt happen.

For something specific like that you could wait until matt and Graham are both there and ask in chat, or make the challenge and then in chat say "I made challenge #X for graham and Matt I will donate X if they could do it.

[–]Graham_LRR
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 07 Nov 2013, 21:13

More importantly, don't spam the chat with challenge requests. That's what the challenge system is for. If there's an opportunity where the right people are in the room and you have a challenge in the system then ask in chat, but don't post repeatedly.

The crew may be our dancing monkeys but there's a lot of us trying to call the tune...
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 09 Nov 2013, 12:47

my stupid bosses have scheduled our massive win7/8 upgrade to start the week of desert bus. as the office tech monkey i am going to be flat out. :? :? :? :? :?
i am going to miss the Majority of DB now :( :( :( :( :( :(
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 09 Nov 2013, 14:11

Does anyone know what the procedure is this year for dropping off food and goodies? It seems to be different every year and I haven't seen anything yet.

EDIT: My query has been answered.
Last edited by Tapir12 on 09 Nov 2013, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 09 Nov 2013, 14:13

AlexanderDitto wrote:For the runners logo, convert it to all white. Don't just paste the original on, it has way too much color to fit the theme.

The bus is good, though it seems a smidge wide. Also, a lot of that detail is going to be invisible. I'd use the accent orange to make the headlights orange, rather than... whatever those random spots are.

Zoom out to make the icon really small and see how it looks. I'll bet a lot of the lines are too thin to show up when the icon is shrunk.

I´m wondering though what the actual size IS? I have a hard time actually visualizing at what size it should be. The template was 640x640, so thats the size I made it at.

The orange bits are the indicator lights. It IS a smidge wide in relation to its height. It's based on the front of a GM Scenicruiser Greyhound bus, which was dual level. The hump further back on the bus is not shown.

It's true the runners logo is not really suitable. It wasn't really intended as a serious suggestion. Making it all white just doesn't look right. It's also way to intricate for a small logo.

Return to “General Discussion”