Internet Opinions

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Angnor
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Internet Opinions

Postby Angnor » 13 Nov 2013, 08:04

Really wonderful video guys. So much fun!
Paul is always amazing as fairly reasonable man.
J. B. S. Haldane wrote:I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 13 Nov 2013, 14:57

nicholasmc1 wrote:Paul, always the voice of reason.
Angnor wrote:Really wonderful video guys. So much fun!

The problem is that unless it's obvious they shouldn't, people side with Paul in videos where he is being unreasonable. See: "Some Kind of Geek". There were some commenters who seemed to believe that Matt was supposed to be the jerk, and Paul was the reasonable one.
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
Laurnil
First Video: Cannot remember

Postby Laurnil » 13 Nov 2013, 16:14

AAAAANNNNNNNDDDDD, now I feel guilty. 1) because I didn't watch this video until today and 2) because I was just complaining, on facebbok, about selfies, instagram food photos, and joggers posting their daily running. So....now I feel like a dick. Thanks!
Laurnil

http://www.twitter.com/laurnil

FYI: Laurnil is short for Laura Nichelle
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 13 Nov 2013, 16:17

I'll be honest with you, though, I watched this video already and it hasn't remotely curbed my desire to argue with people on the internet. I just feel slightly more ashamed of myself than usual.
ocelotteranian
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby ocelotteranian » 13 Nov 2013, 16:49

UNHchabo wrote:
nicholasmc1 wrote:Paul, always the voice of reason.
Angnor wrote:Really wonderful video guys. So much fun!

The problem is that unless it's obvious they shouldn't, people side with Paul in videos where he is being unreasonable. See: "Some Kind of Geek". There were some commenters who seemed to believe that Matt was supposed to be the jerk, and Paul was the reasonable one.

I'm not sure that was because people were autopilot agreeing with Paul so much as there are people in the world who act like Paul's character, and presumably see nothing wrong with their behavior.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 13 Nov 2013, 17:02

Something occurred to me while in the middle of a mindless, repetitive task at work that permitted my mind to wander:

A number of people have stated that they were totally on-board with the first segment of the video, and thinking along the same lines as your character. They even admitted it was jarring to go from what appeared to be a sincere 'PSA' to just the first zig of a funny and entertaining...compound satire(?) of 'internet opinions.'

Graham, I've come to realize that you are hindered in playing certain types of characters like the Selfie Opposition Fund spokesman, and the 'Truth Seeker' from The NASA Conspiracy.

You wanna know the reason? You're too likeable and...oh, what's the word -'believable?', 'compelling?' - no, wait: PERSUASIVE.

You've got this charisma about you that mollifies behaviour that should antagonize. Take the popularity of Jonny, for example. :)

And heck - SPRING! You play that dudebro with a heavy hand, yet...many people came away from that vid with a new favourite season! :D

So I guess the moral here is: if you're ever considering exploiting people for gain, like a commission salesman, a lobbyist or say, a cult leader - you're set! Image

*looks around at Runners and LRRites*

...wait a minute...
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 13 Nov 2013, 18:38

The problem is that they have to harness that for their own benefit. The Kickstarter was a good way to do this, but it seems to me like they've successfully convinced their fans to give more money to other people than to themselves.

...or is that their goal?
UNHchabo

Postby UNHchabo » 14 Nov 2013, 11:39

ocelotteranian wrote:I'm not sure that was because people were autopilot agreeing with Paul so much as there are people in the world who act like Paul's character, and presumably see nothing wrong with their behavior.

True, but like empath was saying about Graham, I think it's easy to be on-board with Paul, because he often plays reasonable characters, just like it's easy to not be on-board with Matt, because he often plays unreasonable characters, including his cH persona.

That said, it was definitely a break from this trend to see Paul in "Open and Shut" as a character who is obviously supposed to be the unreasonable one. Graham and Tally calling him out may have helped. :)
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
DarkAbyssKeeper
First Video: Echo

Postby DarkAbyssKeeper » 15 Nov 2013, 05:10

UNHchabo wrote:That said, it was definitely a break from this trend to see Paul in "Open and Shut" as a character who is obviously supposed to be the unreasonable one. Graham and Tally calling him out may have helped. :)

You mean this?

Perfect line is perfect.
UNHchabo

Postby UNHchabo » 15 Nov 2013, 10:56

DarkAbyssKeeper wrote:You mean this?

<image snipped>

Perfect line is perfect.

Yep. :)
Gutierrez
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Gutierrez » 15 Nov 2013, 13:34

Rubberbandninja wrote:I second the motion for CSI (Coalition for Sanity on the Internet) merch. Preferably in either t-shirt or baseball cap form... though pins and/or stickers would also be acceptable.

I'd fund the CSI if they were an actual PAC. For now, though, I'll stick to Desert Bus and hold out for a sticker to put on my car.
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 10 Jan 2014, 09:08

I'm sorry, Kathleen, you didn't sell me on Selfies. I'm going to have to go with Graham's opinions here ;) :P

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”