Gaming General Chat Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby JackSlack » 19 Nov 2013, 00:01

D'Arcy wrote:You are a winner is you!

Hope you keep going through the rest of the series on insane.

I'm trying to. But gooooood golly. ME2 on insanity is a lot, lot tougher than one.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 19 Nov 2013, 15:14

ME2 was definitely the hardest one I found. My sympathy for when you get to the Collector Base. That Praetorian can go die in a fire.

ME3 was a bit easier, with the exception of frakking Banshees.

On an unrelated note: What indie games will I have missed out on this year? I've not really been keeping on top of them.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 19 Nov 2013, 17:49

I honestly don't remember insanity on ME2 being that hard, but I never beat ME1 on Insanity. I think that was more due to the fact it was a lot more bloated though.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 19 Nov 2013, 19:14

Kapol: ME1 on Insanity was a cakewalk I finished in a couple days.

ME2 has me bussing DEFEATED trying to rescue Archangel. Holy shit. The waves of mercs are HUGE. How the hell are you meant to keep him alive against that many guys? I can't even get past the Eclipse!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 19 Nov 2013, 19:49

I guess it depends how much time you put in per day, or how many side missions you ignore. I do think I remember the Archangel part. I remember it being tough, but not that bad... but I think I was using a save file from an already defeated save game.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 19 Nov 2013, 20:30

Actually, I've heard an intriguing argument: You should play ME2 insanity with a new character, low level.

The argument goes like this: On ME1, all your weapons, powers, everything except Paragon and Renegade transfers over, and that doesn't matter because your Charm and Intimidate DO. So you should attempt Insanity with a New Game+ character, because it gives you the best chance to overcome the more powerful enemies from the get go.

In ME2, however, some of the guns (not all) and none of your upgrades carry over. This means you're actually handicapping yourself with a New Game+, since all the enemies level up but you're only at half strength.

I'm going to try restarting with a freshly imported from ME1 Shepard, and see if I find it easier going.
D'Arcy
First Video: Something from season 2 or 3

Postby D'Arcy » 19 Nov 2013, 22:06

Not sure what it is like on insanity, but on normal I found the final boss to actually be super easy as long as I used that laser alien gun.
I write about videogames over at http://www.hbhud.com

Don’t expect great things, already know that it’s great and match it.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 19 Nov 2013, 22:37

The final boss isn't a problem. The freaking guys who keep coming are. Those freaking collectors were the worst thing ever in that game. :/
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 20 Nov 2013, 00:13

Even in ME3's Multiplayer, the Collectors are the hardest foe. They're tougher than the Reapers.

I bet Javik would cite that as proof of Prothean superiority.

Edit: Also, restarted. HOLY COW. Yes, yes it is a wee bit easier with a starting level character.

Just a little bussing ton easier.
Last edited by JackSlack on 20 Nov 2013, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 20 Nov 2013, 00:28

Well, they're not that bad until they get taken over. Then they're just NUTTY. If you don't master the weapon system of taking the shield out first with an energy weapon, then just shooting them with a normal gun, you won't win.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 20 Nov 2013, 00:51

Always, ALWAYS have someone with Warp on hand. HEAVY warp.

Two if you suspect you'll be going up against a lot of Collectors.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 20 Nov 2013, 02:59

If you think you're going to go up a bunch of collectors, be prepared to rage. They were the worst thing ever and I hated them.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Nov 2013, 04:13

I'm not sure what to ask for my Christmas Present off my parents.

That New Legend of Zelda Game for the XDS (sequal to Link to the Past). I played LTTP and really enjoyed it (when I was 13/14).

Fire Emblem Awakening (Played the Demo and loved it)

Pokemon X. (I already have Y. What I wanted to do was play through X and catch 5 Pokemon, and then wondertrade them for random Pokemon. I would keep wonder trading in till I get a balanced team. If I get Pokemon X *after* Dec the 27th(?), then Pokebank & Transfer will be released. Which means I get a bigger pool of potential Pokemon to be wondered traded. I'd have a lower chance of getting a Weedle. It would also be during that rush where everyone is trying to breed their perfect obscure Pokemon. Which means I might get level 1 Pinecos, Rotoms, etc etc.
-
I could spend my own money and get all 3. But, I don't know what the Christmas Steam Sale will yield. I have a few things on my 'wishlist'.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 20 Nov 2013, 09:01

Fire Emblem is a good game, I recommend it.

I'd personally recommend playing as a female character and romancing the main character for the best storyline.

And if you'd pre-ordered the new Zelda game there would have been a musicbox as a pre-order bonus. Just in case you're into that kind of thing.

Another game you might want to check out, that I'm assuming from your other choices it'd a game you might like, is a new game I heard about called something like "Bravely Default". It looks like a standard JRPG.

Embark on a journey in the world of Luxembourg Luxendarc, the welfare of which relies on four elemental crystals. Follow the quest of Agnès Oblige, the Vestal of Wind, and her companions, as they race to restore balance in Luxendarc by awakening the crystals.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Nov 2013, 09:26

My worry with the Zelda Game is that the last few Portable Zelda games had sections of fiendishly obscure difficulty, which killed my enjoyment (Minish Cap especially).

I'll keep an eye out on Bravely Default. I'll try the demo if it ever gets released.
-
Tried Bravely Default's demo. It didn't do anything for me. It also seems to use the street-pass system quite heavily which I dislike. I'm not in a fortunate situation where when I go out, I am in a sea of other xDS users. Especially when I do go to populated areas. Because that sort of stuff gets nicked.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 30 Nov 2013, 15:05

Wow I suck at RE5 versus.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 30 Nov 2013, 15:34

If you suck at RE5 versus, what's left for me I wonder ;) ?
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 30 Nov 2013, 16:36

Single player in Mercenaries.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 30 Nov 2013, 16:51

Fair enough :)
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 01 Dec 2013, 01:55

3DS XL first impressions:

Transferring my data between my old one and new one was fast and easy thankfully. I have to admire how Nintendo handles it. Though the fact you can only send or receive transfers up to five times is really stupid in my opinion.

The thing is pretty big, but the screens feel huge to me. In a good way. It does make the thing a bit hard to hold though, and I'm having some trouble adjusting to the button layout. I do like that the buttons for home, select, and start are now full buttons too.

The larger screens certainly help the 3D effect for me.

Clicking in place at an L angle feels weir to me. Not in a bad way. And the fact the slider now clicks for 3D feels better.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Dec 2013, 02:51

I enjoy my 2DS. I just wished it actually fitted in my (coat) Pocket much more easily.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 01 Dec 2013, 13:56

Anybody wanna host an RE5 Versus game?
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 01 Dec 2013, 14:40

Merrymaker_Mortalis: See, that's what I want. I want a device that can play 3DS games, that's cheap, don't care about the 3D, and has the clamshell design so it will fit in my pocket, and I don't have to worry about the screens.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 01 Dec 2013, 16:00

The plight of the PC gamer: wanting desperately, DESPERATELY to play the supercool game you paid sixty bucks for, but no matter how much you fiddle with the settings, you can't get it to run smoothly enough.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 01 Dec 2013, 16:03

korvys wrote:Merrymaker_Mortalis: See, that's what I want. I want a device that can play 3DS games, that's cheap, don't care about the 3D, and has the clamshell design so it will fit in my pocket, and I don't have to worry about the screens.

The design is my only major problem with the 2DS. It's so big and bulky that carrying around seems like a pain. The fact the screens are always exposed makes it easier to damage.

Prospero101 wrote:The plight of the PC gamer: wanting desperately, DESPERATELY to play the supercool game you paid sixty bucks for, but no matter how much you fiddle with the settings, you can't get it to run smoothly enough.

There's a lot of things I don't like about PC gaming. That's one of them.

Return to “Video Games”