Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Dec 2013, 16:21

If you're looking to save your stuff from things like Vandalblast...

You already have the Darksteel Forge to help you out.

Boros Charm, Break of Day, Rootborn Defenses, and Withstand Death offer temporary solutions.
Consecrate Land and Terra Eternal keep your lands safe (if you've got any of the artifact lands).
Shield of Kaldra helps one creature, while Eldrazi Monument helps all of your creatures.
Indestructibility and That Which Was Taken can protect any permanent.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 06 Dec 2013, 19:19

I was all pumped to build a commander deck and get back into magic, but the 1-copy rule and legendary general only rule killed it for me :(
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 06 Dec 2013, 19:23

I know what you mean, I prefer multiple copies of a card. The legendary thing is eh, There are some good non legends that would make an interesting commander and then there are legendaries that are just vanilla. Either way, once you actually pilot a commander deck, regardless if you made it, then it's tons of fun. There are sooo many wild cards and weird whimsical wombo combos to behold.
Endor
First Video: Guild Fight

Postby Endor » 07 Dec 2013, 09:33

I was just curious, but does anyone have a solid Phelddagrif EDH deck they would be willing to share. I have been thinking about making one.
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 07 Dec 2013, 15:58

TomBrend wrote:I was all pumped to build a commander deck and get back into magic, but the 1-copy rule and legendary general only rule killed it for me :(

The singleton rule really makes it for me. It turns the game into a hunt for Magic Christmasland. Maybe you'll pull off the most glorious combo ever that you never even planned to put into the deck. (Enchant Abu Jafar with Gift of Immortality in an Odric Master Tactician deck so you can keep doing a one-sided boardwipe.) Maybe you'll just get all the creatures you need and slam into your opponent hard. Every game can feel different and yet each deck, if well-designed has its own personality. It's also just fun to be able to try out so many cards that you'd otherwise never even consider outside of a deck like this.

The legendary commander rule is a bit weird, especially now that the legendary rule can't really be activated in a commander game outside of cloning territory, but there are a lot of interesting commanders out there and you're sure to find plenty that interest you. Whether you just want your commander to be a source of power, a way to change the way you play, or just a boardwipe on a stick, there's something out there.
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 10 Dec 2013, 10:25

AdmiralMemo wrote:If you're looking to save your stuff from things like Vandalblast...

You already have the Darksteel Forge to help you out.

Boros Charm, Break of Day, Rootborn Defenses, and Withstand Death offer temporary solutions.
Consecrate Land and Terra Eternal keep your lands safe (if you've got any of the artifact lands).
Shield of Kaldra helps one creature, while Eldrazi Monument helps all of your creatures.
Indestructibility and That Which Was Taken can protect any permanent.

Having just finished off my esper artifacts deck, the answers to artifact destruction that I have settled on are Indomitable Archangel & Darksteel Forge. I also looked at Leonin Abunas for targeted destruction and Open the Vaults for recovery, and Avacyn (indestructibility), but opted not to use them because I already have some heavy duty recursion going on.

The card that you are most likely to start to hate (because it is played in every deck that it can be) is a main phase Return to Dust -- exiled is a bucket of sadness.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Dec 2013, 12:08

Del wrote:The card that you are most likely to start to hate (because it is played in every deck that it can be) is a main phase Return to Dust -- exiled is a bucket of sadness.
Is Return to Dust played more than Shattering Blow or Altar's Light because it can hit 2 targets? More than Dust to Dust because it's instant speed rather than sorcery speed? More than Into the Core or Fade into Antiquity because white is played more than red or green? More than Dispatch because Metalcraft isn't a big thing?
(I know a bunch about playing Commander, but because I don't play often, I know nothing of the meta.)

Also, though my search for exiling artifacts, I ended up finding Golden Wish: It's the card that helps you side-board while still in Game 1. :D

Del

Postby Del » 10 Dec 2013, 15:51

AdmiralMemo wrote:Is Return to Dust played more than Shattering Blow or Altar's Light because it can hit 2 targets? More than Dust to Dust because it's instant speed rather than sorcery speed? More than Into the Core or Fade into Antiquity because white is played more than red or green?

The 2 for 1 option is probably the biggest thing about it. The double white can be a little trickier, but its definitely played a lot where I am -- probably 35-45% of decks locally have white in them.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 10 Dec 2013, 18:46

Just played my first game w/ my Myr commander deck against orzhov, and well... crushed. My opponent was off black by one but still had a decent pool. He hit it too late for any of his 3 boardwipes to be used. However I got the turbine early and a few tokens off genesis chamber and it all went to hell in a handbag from there. Swung with Battlesphere for 15 and 16 respectively, through the sphere of safety artifact. Finishing blow was lodestone for +35. Not sure if that was utter luck or just the deck doing well. Gonna play a few more games to make sure.
asteriskreaper
First Video: friday night - untap

Postby asteriskreaper » 11 Dec 2013, 05:52

ElFuzzy wrote:Just played my first game w/ my Myr commander deck against orzhov, and well... crushed. My opponent was off black by one but still had a decent pool. He hit it too late for any of his 3 boardwipes to be used. However I got the turbine early and a few tokens off genesis chamber and it all went to hell in a handbag from there. Swung with Battlesphere for 15 and 16 respectively, through the sphere of safety artifact. Finishing blow was lodestone for +35. Not sure if that was utter luck or just the deck doing well. Gonna play a few more games to make sure.

Gold Star man, Gold Star
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." -the Laughing Man
"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey... you should see me in a crown... "-James Moriarty(Sherlock)
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 11 Dec 2013, 09:46

Shenanigans I saw this Sunday at Commander:

Hive Mind is on the board, guy to my left casts Temporal Mastery. I really wished I had my Strionic Resonator out at the time just because I love those kind of shenanigans.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Dec 2013, 12:41

So how would that work actually? Does that mean that, since the triggers are placed on the stack in the order of players, and then resolve in reverse order, does that mean that the extra Temporal Mastery turns go in reverse order around the table before the casting player gets his Temporal Mastery turn, and then play resumes in normal order? Should I ask this in the Judge thread?

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 11 Dec 2013, 18:15

Hmmmm, interesting.

It does... almost nothing.

The spells go in the stack in order, starting with the player who's turn it is, or if that's the player who cast the spell, the player to his left. So after the trigger has resolved, from the top down, the stack will look like this (4 player game, player 1 is the one who cast the first TM):

Player 4's TM (copy)
Player 3's TM (copy)
Player 2's TM (copy)
Player 1's TM (original)

So then Player 4's spell resolves, giving them an extra turn after this one.
But then Player 3's spell resolves, giving THEM an extra turn after this one, which is taken ahead of Player 4's.
And Player 2's, and then Player 1's.

So, the turn order looked like this before

[Player 1][Player 2][Player 3][Player 4][Player 1]

After each spell resolves it looks like this:

[Player 1][Player 4][Player 2][Player 3][Player 4][Player 1]...
[Player 1][Player 3][Player 4][Player 2][Player 3][Player 4][Player 1]...
[Player 1][Player 2][Player 3][Player 4][Player 2][Player 3][Player 4][Player 1]...
[Player 1][Player 1][Player 2][Player 3][Player 4][Player 2][Player 3][Player 4][Player 1]...

So, the end result is that Player 1 gets an extra turn after this one, then things play pretty normally, but then they skip their next turn, basically.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 15 Dec 2013, 00:18

So I'm looking for some opinions on how to improve my Aurelia, the Warleader deck that more or less focuses on combat. This sometimes includes other players' combat phases.

As my very first self-constructed Commander deck with the help of my friends giving me suggestions and tips (and a couple free cards that they didn't care for), it sort of took the safe route and just became a W/R Aggro deck. Perhaps that's what the deck was meant to end up as anyway? I don't really know yet. I have played with the deck once in a 3P match and it did quite well, so I know I'm doing something right.

Here's the decklist, sorted by type, color, CMC, and alphabetically:

Bane of Negotiations - Click to Expand
- 1 Commander -
Aurelia, the Warleader

- 32 Creatures -
Boros Elite
Grand Abolisher
Phalanx Leader
Frontline Medic
Heliod's Emissary
Hero of Bladehold
Hundred-Handed One
Archangel of Thune
Aegis Angel
Angelic Skirmisher
Sun Titan
Sunblast Angel
Luminate Primordial
Legion Loyalist
Firefist Striker
Purphoros's Emissary
Conquering Manticore
Crater Hellion
Molten Primordial
Akroan Hoplite
Wojek Halberdiers
Anax and Cymede
Firemane Avenger
Tajic, Blade of the Legion
Spark Trooper
Fortress Cyclops
Foundry Champion
Boros Battleshaper
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Figure of Destiny
Spitemare
Nobilis of War

- 14 Instants/Sorceries -
Condemn
Smite the Monstrous
Miraculous Recovery
Massive Raid
Aurelia's Fury
Boros Charm
Martial Glory
Warleader's Helix
Master Warcraft
Order // Chaos
Wear // Tear
Winds of Rath
Terminus
Cleaver Riot

- 7 Enchantments -
Blind Obedience
Five-Alarm Fire
Assemble the Legion
Gleam of Battle
Oblivion Ring
Pentiarch Ward
Holy Mantle

- 6 Artifacts -
Boros Cluestone
Boros Keyrune
Boros Signet
Spear of Heliod
Sunforger
Swiftfoot Boots

- 1 Planeswalker -
Elspeth, Sun's Champion

- 39 Lands -
Mountain x12
Plains x15
Evolving Wilds
Terramorphic Expanse
Naya Panorama
Thespian's Stage
New Benalia
Vivid Meadow
Vivid Crag
Boros Garrison
Boros Guildgate
Clifftop Retreat
Temple of Triumph
Opal Palace

I picked up a copy of World at War recently because it's only half a dollar, but I don't know what else could go in the deck at the moment. I remember seeing a fun Voltron decklist for Aurelia that seemed interesting, but it wanted all five Swords and my wallet and I were not willing to go that far just yet.

Any suggestions?
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 15 Dec 2013, 10:14

Something I've been mulling over: Abusing the hell out of Kiki Jiki, Opalescence, and Doubling Season.

Keep in mind that this is pie-in-the sky, anything goes, as I doubt I'll be able to get everything I need ever. Also, there are three commanders, because I just need the colors and can't decide which would be better for me.

Goal: make tons of copy tokens of everything I control, swing for lethal.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 15 Dec 2013, 11:34

Er...isn't Kiki-Jiki on the banned list for Commander?
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 15 Dec 2013, 11:37

He is not.

tamaness

Postby tamaness » 16 Dec 2013, 08:38

AdmiralMemo wrote:So how would that work actually? Does that mean that, since the triggers are placed on the stack in the order of players, and then resolve in reverse order, does that mean that the extra Temporal Mastery turns go in reverse order around the table before the casting player gets his Temporal Mastery turn, and then play resumes in normal order? Should I ask this in the Judge thread?

Korvus is right. We played it wrong the other night (reversed the turn order for a round). source.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 16 Dec 2013, 08:53

So, if I have Myr turbine, Time Sieve, Bringer of the White Dawn, Myr Matrix, and Doubling Season, and just to be safe, a Blinkmoth Urn, I can effectively take as many turns as I want right? I know it's a lot to have down, but if anything it all really comes down to drawing bringer and doubling season. I have plenty of fetch.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 16 Dec 2013, 12:01

I suppose so long as when this combo happens you actually win the game, your opponents won't straight murder you?
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 16 Dec 2013, 12:31

Well that list has Time Walk banned, but not sieve. The real dick move, is if I have xenograft in play and the reaper king too.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 16 Dec 2013, 12:42

It isn't that taking extra turns is too powerful, it's that taking extra turns is sometimes considered a dick move. Infinite combos are also sometimes considered dick moves. I think they're fine so long as when you "go infinite" you actually win, and it doesn't happen quickly or efficiently, but others get really upset if it happens at all.

So I was just asking how your play group feels about it, I guess?
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 16 Dec 2013, 12:48

The guys I play with would probably appreciate it, since one of em gave me the idea for one of my two infinite mana combos. We aren't so much aggressive as we are curious to see what the decks can do. However, I think I'd get some snap scoops if I did have xeno and reaper down, since the tokens made for sac would blow up the board.
Del

Postby Del » 16 Dec 2013, 21:33

ElFuzzy wrote:So, if I have Myr turbine, Time Sieve, Bringer of the White Dawn, Myr Matrix, and Doubling Season, and just to be safe, a Blinkmoth Urn, I can effectively take as many turns as I want right? I know it's a lot to have down, but if anything it all really comes down to drawing bringer and doubling season. I have plenty of fetch.

Thopter Assembly and Time Sieve is a two card infinite turn combo that only requires 6 mana. Warning: it will not win you friends.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 17 Dec 2013, 07:09

Oh yeah I forgot about thopter, lawl I have that too. I was looking at adding sieve and Machinate to the deck as a possible form of tutor.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”