June 13 - Morgans Problem

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 Jun 2007, 01:40

Dang!

Back to the drawing board then.
Stephen_S

Postby Stephen_S » 15 Jun 2007, 05:27

How about selling the DVDs on Amazon.com or something like that?
Kroze did that with his band's CD and they're making a decent showing.
Le grá,

Steve
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 15 Jun 2007, 08:10

http://amazon.com/s/url=search-alias%3D ... ngreadyrun

CustomFlix does it automatically. Not that we have sold any through Amazon.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 15 Jun 2007, 08:21

Graham wrote:Well, I wouldn't say that's working quite at the right speed so far...

I had meant artificially speeding up the process. As in, "First person to stack up five thousand views themselves gets a forum rank. First to ten thousand views gets a forum rank and a DVD. First to fifteen thousand views gets moderator status for a month. Twenty thousand, mod for two months and a DVD. Twenty five thousand, mod three months, DVD, and a shirt. 50,000, permanent moderator status, DVD, shirt, and you can replace Matt."

That sort of thing.

What are the numbers? If we had a View-A-Thon, what would it take to make 15k?

~Alja-Markir~
Iverix

Postby Iverix » 15 Jun 2007, 08:30

The biggest help on my own website was setting up contests for the members.

However, it wasn't with views. It was with referrals.

I'm fairly certain phpBB has mods for referral systems that keep track of how many referrals each member has over X amount of days/months/years.

The current owner of my website (I'm just their administrator of the site) set up (at the time) great contests that motivated people to get more members. (which is now topping 22k+)

But what I'm trying to get at is this: start contests for promoting your site for your members.

Things that members can do to get mass views:
Make Myspace Ads/Groups/Pages. (Yes, this truly works)
Word-Of-Mouth
Chain-Mailing
Advertising this site on other forums that allow it. (www.ifsz.com as an example)

I personally think the best thing for you and your crew would be advertisement. It would be killing two birds with one stone. Get more views, more members, more activity, more support... wait that's more than two, but you see what I mean?

Contests for your members to promote your crew. That's where it's at.
Stephen_S

Postby Stephen_S » 15 Jun 2007, 09:59

Paul wrote:http://amazon.com/s/url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=loadingreadyrun

CustomFlix does it automatically. Not that we have sold any through Amazon.

Oh. Thanks.
Le grá,

Steve
anotherearth

Postby anotherearth » 15 Jun 2007, 12:03

So, where are the pics of this bus?

I have to mirror the comments about the audio quality this week. I'd rather that the mic be kept further away so that those that want to talk must get closer or that the others must get quiet to allow them to speak. I'm not complaining about anyone in particular mind you -I still enjoy hearing the side convos and all, but keeping the mic further away would solve a bit of the peaking probs from all the cross talk and allow Graham/Paul (whoever's closest) to moderate the podcast better.

Paul: The 10th Terran mission in Starcraft can be won entirely from a defensive standpoint. If you build up enough defenses and remain dug in, the enemy will just come at you. Let them. Hard to fully describe here, but I ended up taking the Ion Cannon base with 4 marines and a couple tanks alone after devastating both the other bases first. Just about to start the Zerg missions now... great game.

As for fund raising, I'd suggest removing the download option from the season 1 & 2 vids on the site, but still allow online views via Revver. From each of those individual vid pages, add a link to purchase the respective DVD through your site or from Amazon. It's not "instant money" by any means, but it might help.
Also, a simple PayPal link to "donate to the LLRBus fund" from the main page or at the top of each page couldn't hurt. Add a PSA about it and tack it onto the end of each vid to promote it.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 15 Jun 2007, 12:48

If you put up a 'donate to the bus fund' button I would give money. Not much, but I would give.
RPGManic

Postby RPGManic » 15 Jun 2007, 14:52

Same here!

long as we can have some sort inscription or logo on it depending on how much you donate.

Someone will so want a Penis with Morgans name on it, put on the back.
MAKE PENNE ARIBIATA NOT WAR
Stephen_S

Postby Stephen_S » 15 Jun 2007, 17:28

emma wrote:If you put up a 'donate to the bus fund' button I would give money. Not much, but I would give.

I was thinking the same thing. I could give some money.
Le grá,

Steve
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 15 Jun 2007, 18:08

Rather than using such a button I would walk my donation over to Graham to remove the small cut Paypal takes.

Also in the event you are unable to buy the bus, how would you use any bus funds? I am not going to donate just so I can support Bill's WoW habit.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 15 Jun 2007, 18:45

If the bus falls through, I'm sure they would ask to use it for new equipment and stuff. I mean maybe if they wanted, they could get new mics, lights, maybe a new camera, so that filming would go twice as fast.

They have no lack of things I'm sure that their adoring fans wouldn't mind helping to attain.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 15 Jun 2007, 19:01

But the shirts, screw donating.
The money still goes to them.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 15 Jun 2007, 19:27

Lord Chrusher wrote:Rather than using such a button I would walk my donation over to Graham to remove the small cut Paypal takes.

Also in the event you are unable to buy the bus, how would you use any bus funds? I am not going to donate just so I can support Bill's WoW habit.

yeah, donating directly would be way better.

also, most of the guys have given up wow. astonishing, i know. only matt and ben are still playing, to the best of my knowledge.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 15 Jun 2007, 19:39

Well, I can't walk it over because that would be a very long walk - but if you had a credit card thing set up I would do it.

tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 15 Jun 2007, 20:59

Morgan wrote:
Lord Chrusher wrote:Rather than using such a button I would walk my donation over to Graham to remove the small cut Paypal takes.

yeah, donating directly would be way better.

also, most of the guys have given up wow. astonishing, i know. only matt and ben are still playing, to the best of my knowledge.

HOLY BLAPITY BLAP!! BILL!?!?!?!? Give Up WoW???!?!?!?!?

Quick, check in with the international space station, and ask if the see the universe collapsing!

Well, granted his account got hacked into and he lost everything, so unless he lost faith in the system, he's just on hiatus.
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 15 Jun 2007, 20:59

1st Annual LRR Man-Cooking Cook-Off.

Not sure the business logistics of this(Nor do I think it could bedone in a month), but you get various local busniesses to enter and pay for a booth, charge a cover at the gate, give out some phoney prizes for best cooking and viola!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 15 Jun 2007, 21:02

Tensen01 wrote:1st Annual LRR Man-Cooking Cook-Off.

Not sure the business logistics of this(Nor do I think it could bedone in a month), but you get various local busniesses to enter and pay for a booth, charge a cover at the gate, give out some phoney prizes for best cooking and viola!

Like Iron Chef, only manlier. Though some of that stuff in the original IC Japan was pretty friggin manly.

Also, if they did this, they would have to suggest that the people who want to attend go to the site and watch the man cooking vids (ie MARKETIIIIING). Who knows, maybe the guy selling the bus would come to the event, see that you want the bus for real, and give it to you for a lower price?

Tensen, you are a genius!
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 15 Jun 2007, 21:55

I was thinking more like the Chili Cookoffs here where people just cook, and there's judges and ribbons and stuff.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 15 Jun 2007, 22:23

Has anyone thought of prostitution yet?
I can't think of a signature.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 15 Jun 2007, 22:35

CyberTractor wrote:Has anyone thought of prostitution yet?
Ithinkso.

I don't think it would work though.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Kneuronak
Doink

Postby Kneuronak » 15 Jun 2007, 23:25

You should just put on a show of LoadingReadyLive at the most available venue. At radio city music hall in NYC.
Who?
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 16 Jun 2007, 03:22

The online radio station i work for is completely listener powered, i.e. we have a paypal link on the main site, we ask for donations and people donate to keep us up. Granted, we only need to raise 600 GBP for server fees per month. Sometimes we barely squeak by, but somehow, we always seem to make it. It might not be a bad idea for you to come up with some sort of active donation system. Maybe you can't afford this bus in a month, but who is to say that there won't be another blue loading ready run short bus for sale in the future? 50 cents here and there goes along way. Though I am a bit low income, I'd be willing to donate a few bucks a month to support one of my favorite habits. :D
RPGManic

Postby RPGManic » 16 Jun 2007, 12:00

Tell you what guys, if you can find people who want to buy a house in England from my new work place, i will give you all the cash i get from that sale.

I get:
£1 from calling people about their property
£10 for booking a valuation
£250 for selling a house.

thats a fair ol ammount of cannuk dollars towards your buss :P

Worked it out: one house sold = $525.42

Edit:OSHIT - 15000, not 1500.. hmmmmmm maybe a few more people needed.. my bad >.>
MAKE PENNE ARIBIATA NOT WAR
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 16 Jun 2007, 14:24

Licence your videos to state broadcasters. It worked for the Chick'n Swell, it can work for you.

Return to “LRRcast”