Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby empath » 15 Dec 2013, 10:09

Oh, and a new day, and a new vent:

A milieu I've loved and followed for decades is not just dying, but being harvested alive for organs to sell:

Even FORBES calls you on your unhealthy avarice, dammit!.

Basically, everything the Extra Credits crew said NOT to do with microtransactions? PGI & IGP did...TWICE.

Explanatory Side-note: Project Phoenix Overlord - for rare 'Unseen Mechs' that had legal issues over art that got them cut out of the game long time ago; PGI offered ANOTHER money-grab to offer these reworked-art designs to us, 'to finance this F2P game and let us work on elements you've been asking for', like UI reworking, Community Warfare, DX11 support, better balance to game mechanics, new game modes besides 'team deathmatch'...which have NOT seen any verifiable progress made on them, either in the year-and-a-half since they started selling things back in Closed Beta to the release of Project Phoenix Overlord, OR the six months SINCE that release.

(Oh, and tangentially on that - what is it about guys on the West Coast named "Russ" that seem to screw things up so consistently?!? (Russ Bullock, PGI - Vancouver))

Well, I guess it's just a matter of time to wait for this failure to die off and wait for the next attempt to do something with this Intellectual Property...

...that shouldn't be too long...

Oh, wait. :|
empath

Postby empath » 15 Dec 2013, 18:30

Okay, sorry for monopolizing the thread, but...well, I guess fate just hates me right now. :P

Anyway:

What the fuck is wrong with the word "BLIZZARD"?!?

"Winter storm" this, "winter storm" that; hell, how many people across the U.S. died from this latest 'major winter storm'.

I'm sorry, but in my day, if you got a foot of snow in about six hours, coupled with winds of thirty miles-an-hour or more, resulting in near-zero visibility, we had a simple, short word for that.

George Carlin was right, society is fucking itself over by destroying the communicative ability of its own languages with euphemisms; just like "shell shock" got watered the fuck down to 'post traumatic stress disorder' (even though I can kinda get the reason for the shift - you can get the problem without ever being in an artillery barrage)

Fuckit; let's go find George's grave and hook a dynamo up to him - I bet we could generate enough power for a small city...

...wait, the bastard probably got himself cremated. ;)
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 15 Dec 2013, 20:11

I don't know what little specific thing I'm missing, but I cannot get this network MFC to scan to my computer. Login details are correct; IP address is correct; yes, it's plugged in. What more do you need? A backrub and sweet nothings whispered in your fucking ear!?

I've given up for the moment; I may have broken something if I saw "Scan Login Failed" appear on the screen one more time.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
ocelotteranian
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby ocelotteranian » 15 Dec 2013, 20:46

One more test. I have one more fucking test. I finished my second paper in a week and I finally managed to WRITE a college history paper without having at least one panic attack and I got it done A DAY AHEAD OF TIME and I still have ONE MORE TEST TO TAKE. Auuuuuuugh.

Fuck you, school.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 15 Dec 2013, 21:53

Fucking 38°C for the next few days. I'm sleepy and sticky the whole day.
empath

Postby empath » 15 Dec 2013, 22:50

Bebop Man wrote:Fucking 38°C for the next few days. I'm sleepy and sticky the whole day.

*horrified look*

Ugh! At least I can always bundle up with more clothes; I will admit that I dislike hot weather more than cold. I just couldn't sleep down in Iowa in the summer when it got up around there... :(

(thanks for the perspective...now I head off to bed and have to throw an extra duvet on to keep from getting sick - I'll try to throw a snowball in your direction ;) )
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 15 Dec 2013, 23:00

Maybe it has nothing to do with it but I was born to a very windy city by the sea. Now I live in this big stale urbania and my apartment can't get a wind current if all doors and windows were to stay open the entire week. All that hangs between me and madness is the ceiling fan.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 15 Dec 2013, 23:17

I'm like Empath here, cold can be dealt with, but heat just breaks me.

Keeping in mind that I live in a place where 38° is literally the hottest I've ever seen it get, with most summers topping out at 32°-35° (though it is super humid), getting an air conditioner a couple years back was one of the best decisions for my personal comfort.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 15 Dec 2013, 23:24

I've been over that with my roommate. Air conditioner is too pricy, regular ventilator will be good for a while before we have nowhere to stack it, ceiling fan out of the question because the cupola from the ceiling light or however you call the bulby bit would hang too low, etc. In the end we just stick to our rooms and the living is no man's land. Fortunately the 38° supposedly ends Tuesday.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 15 Dec 2013, 23:50

I assume you mean fan rather than ventilator. In English a ventilator is something used to move air in and out of the lungs.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 16 Dec 2013, 00:09

Yep, like a floor fan.

(5 AM, can't sleep)
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 Dec 2013, 01:23

Damn bloody mucus.
DJ Spacepirate
First Video: ENN? ENN

Postby DJ Spacepirate » 16 Dec 2013, 10:54

empath wrote:What the fuck is wrong with the word "BLIZZARD"?!?

Everywhere I look I witness the bastardization of the language, which is fine on it's own (English being the mutant mutt that is is) but coupled with knee-jerk sensationalism and what I'll call "cognitive decay" (because "dumbing-down" sounds like dumbing-down to me :P) I get the frothing jeebies.
I'm fine with stupidity (I enjoy videos on the internet after all), and I'm fine with fucking with language (I did just say frothing jeebies) but willful and/or orchestrated ignorance is snowballing out of control.
I say snowballing because I don't want this to come off as a "these kids today" comment because A) I'm too young for that and B) fucking Galileo had to deal with this shit.
Excuse me while I lurk
empath

Postby empath » 16 Dec 2013, 11:13

I guess our issue sums up as:

;)
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 Dec 2013, 11:14

I asked my dad today if you can get lightning and snow at the same time.

Winter Storms however is vague. Winter Storm could just mean MANY WINDS.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Dec 2013, 11:45

You can get lightning/thunder and snow, even a large snowstorm, at the same time. It's horrifying. I saw it on the road up north years back. There was a huge bang. We honestly thought something had exploded up ahead. Nope. Just thunder and lightning in a snowstorm.

Lewis Black does a little comedy bit on it, and how when you see it happening you think it's a sign of the end of the world. He wasn't wrong.
Laurnil
First Video: Cannot remember

Postby Laurnil » 16 Dec 2013, 13:25

I'm in my office. I am an attorney. But, a client, who barely pays us anything every month and often tries to extend her payments or pay us less, comes in, with her toddler in tow, without an appointment, and wants to speak to my boss, the managing attorney. Then, after being told she would have to wait, as my boss was already in a meeting with clients that pay and had scheduled an appointment, she tries to sell us Avon! Then, her child starts to run all over the place and slams doors. The child starts slamming my office door. I had to shut and lock my door. Now, I'm trapped in my office by her misbehaving toddler. Lady, freaking deal with your damn kid.
Laurnil

http://www.twitter.com/laurnil

FYI: Laurnil is short for Laura Nichelle
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 Dec 2013, 14:44

Why do people think they have valid opinions on internet content people upload?

I'm sorry, but "more Pokemon" is not a valid comment on someone's video about Minecraft. They're allowed to do videos on other topics beside Pokemon.
If you don't care about Minecraft, don't watch the video.
If you want a channel which is 100% Pokemon content, go find one.

Why should the producer cater to your unimportant opinion?
DJ Spacepirate
First Video: ENN? ENN

Postby DJ Spacepirate » 16 Dec 2013, 15:28

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Why should the producer cater to your unimportant opinion?

Follow-up gripe: people who take "the customer is always right" literally. The mere act of intending to maybe possibly buy a product or service (or subscribe to a youtube channel) does not instill in you universe-twisting omniscience. You're just as clueless as you were before walking in, but now you're making demands about something you know next to nothing about based on your painfully subjective perspective.
Excuse me while I lurk
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 16 Dec 2013, 16:56

Bebop Man wrote:Maybe it has nothing to do with it but I was born to a very windy city by the sea. Now I live in this big stale urbania and my apartment can't get a wind current if all doors and windows were to stay open the entire week. All that hangs between me and madness is the ceiling fan.

Same here. I have air conditioner at home but today I spent the whole day at work and had a seminaire this afternoon. The air conditioner from work was broken and the place is an office with barely no source of air whatsoever.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 16 Dec 2013, 17:16

I've screwed up yet another app release. The delay from the resubmit means we won't get it reviewed by Apple before Christmas.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Dec 2013, 11:57

Strange "Masculinists" vent.

Yes, it's hard to be a man sometimes. But at least your clothes shop doesn't try and tell you what to look like.

I was dragged into Debenhams today (UK clothes shop) by my mum as she looked for a present for my Gran and Sister. We pottered around the shop a lot. But I did find the contrast in cloth products between genders interesting.

You had your typical "PINK LAND" and "BLUE AND BROWN LAND" for the kiddywinks. But that's as Movie Bob said, more to do with society's gender associations with colour than the clothing itself being SEXIST.

What was sexist was the:

MAKE YOUR BOOBS LOOK BETTER WITH THIS BRA.
MAKE YOUR FIGURE LOOK BETTER WITH THIS MODERN CORSET.
MAKE YOUR BODY NOT LOOK DISGUSTING WITH THIS PIECE OF UNDERWEAR.

in the Man-Land you only had:

THIS IS UNDERWEAR WITH A PICTURE OF A NAKED MAN. YES THIS IS AN ASPIRATION TO HAVE MUSCLES, BUT WOMEN HAVE THE SAME THING WITH THE ASPIRATION TO HAVE A SKINNY FIGURE. SO IT CANCELS OUT FOR THIS EXAMPLE.

No, MAKE YOUR **** BIGGER.
MAKE YOUR FIGURE LOOK BETTER WITH A CORSET.

I am aware there is swimwear and underwear that gives you a "better profile", but that's mostly popular with the homosexual male scene than the heterosexual male scene.

I'm using Debenhams as an example because it's a chain shop that's not poshywoshy and is a high quality everyday clothes shop.
I'm grateful that I don't have products making me feel insecure about my bumps as a nonehomosexual male.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 17 Dec 2013, 11:57

I decide to try to jam my sleep schedule back into place a couple days back. Mostly cause I didn't wake up until about 5-7PM some days, and I remembered at the last minute I had a friend coming over with some semi-important business.

I stayed up all night, stayed up all day, hung out with my friend. Then when he left about 8, I passed right out... and still didn't wake up until noon today. :/ At least it's a step in the right direction... but I'm going to need to start getting up at 8am by next semester for one class on one day. Said class is going to suck.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 17 Dec 2013, 15:33

There's been a powerout and I'm currently posting from my phone. self-explanatory vent. (snif)
empath

Postby empath » 17 Dec 2013, 15:42

Hope it gets restored for you soon!

Return to “General Discussion”