Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby ZePancakes » 17 Dec 2013, 16:21

One thing I do want to vent about my exams, I miss out on going to my sister's graduation because of my physics one.

I'm not there to see her officially become a doctor, that sucks.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 17 Dec 2013, 18:33

This sounds pretty petty when I'm putting it on the page, but geez, if I say one thing about my favorite work of fiction in the world, would it really be so hard to assume I may know something of what I'm talking about and not claim the exact opposite? I have read pretty much everything ever printed on the subject, and we're talking about a lot of ink here, and I think you know that about me, or at least have some idea, and you just shut down every possible venue of discussion on the topic because you dislike this author's work too much to read any of it.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 17 Dec 2013, 19:50

I wish medicine worked more like it does in RPGs: if you feel unwell, take a cure disease potion and you are cured.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Dec 2013, 02:40

I'm in college and my trousers smell of urine (not sure how).

I don't know what I can do about this, except don't let it on that my trousers smell.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 18 Dec 2013, 04:03

Ask a friend for deodorant. There's normally at least one man carrying in colleges. Give yourself the subtle full body spray over.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 18 Dec 2013, 04:05

My body is pretty stupid apparently. As is it's habit for some reason, I went to bed somewhat early (12:30). It decided that I needed to wake up at 4 in the morning and be unable to go back to sleep. So here I am, awake at 7 in the morning, and likely going back to sleep in about 3 hours.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Dec 2013, 07:59

Slight vent.

I saw Kick Ass 2 today.
I had been wanting to watch it since I loved number 1... but...

I didn't enjoy #2 as much as 1. It was still good, just, not great.
Had good action and violence and stuff, but that's all it was.

Kick Ass 1 made me feel good at the end of it. I felt amazing because I saw vengeance and reckoning on the screen.

Kick Ass 2 made me feel weird. It was still vengeance and stuff... but it didn't feel good. I think it's because The Mother Fucker wasn't evil. He was just very ill. His Dad was evil, but Mother Fucker was just sick. As a result the whole film was sad to me.

I didn't like the weird love Triangle thing that existed at the very end between Night Bitch, Hit Girl and Kick Ass. It felt weird. Around here it's not good to have a triangle thing going on. It's also very weird when a 16/15 year old girl is snogging a , I don't know how old Kick Ass is.

I'm glad I saw the film though...
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 18 Dec 2013, 08:54

Honestly, Kick-Ass 2 was a film I came out of thinking 'that was pretty good.' Then, on the drive home, I thought about it. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized it's just kind of bad. There are a ton of details in it that make me just dislike it.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 18 Dec 2013, 09:01

I was interested in going to see KA2 because it seemed to have ditched half the bits that I disliked about the original Kickass. I couldn't even finish that film.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 18 Dec 2013, 12:43

This lady keeps screaming at her child from across the apartment building.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 18 Dec 2013, 12:52

Bebop Man wrote:This lady keeps screaming at her child from across the apartment building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLBxGV8rDAY
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Dec 2013, 15:47

Miracle of Sound has been hit by the Copyright hammer.

It's hilarious. But because the YoutubeBELONGTOUS thing threatens me, it's demoted the lols to anger.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 18 Dec 2013, 20:18

Has been hit how, exactly?
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 18 Dec 2013, 20:46

I suppose he means they are not letting them use certain images / montages even for fair purposes or sth of the sort. Maybe.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 18 Dec 2013, 22:57

Well, the fun part of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is that ANYONE can make a copyright infringement claim, not just the holder. And a content 'go-between' site like YouTube is REQUIRED BY LAW to immediately take down/stop broadcast/display/etc. of the accused infringing content. THEN the accused part has to jump through hoops to prove that the content is not infringing, or is protected by Fair Use or what have you.

Yep; that's right - America, land of "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" has implemented a law that REVERSES this principle, and - better yet - due to the trans-border nature of internet content dissemination, it shoves the DMCA down every other 'internet active' nation.

...so you tend to get irregular waves of trolls going around reporting whole swathes of videos just for kicks - for the thrill of power in being able to deny countless other people access to content, even temporarily.

♫And I think to myself, What a wonderful world...♫
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 18 Dec 2013, 23:30

Bebop Man wrote:Has been hit how, exactly?

Basically, a copyright infringement claim against Miracle of Sound by a 3rd party "on behalf" of Miracle of Sound. More details at the Escapist link.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 18 Dec 2013, 23:55

empath wrote:Well, the fun part of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is that ANYONE can make a copyright infringement claim, not just the holder. And a content 'go-between' site like YouTube is REQUIRED BY LAW to immediately take down/stop broadcast/display/etc. of the accused infringing content. THEN the accused part has to jump through hoops to prove that the content is not infringing, or is protected by Fair Use or what have you.

Well, in theory, there's a process for filing a counter-claim to a phony DMCA takedown. At that point, if the original claimant wants to keep the video down, they'll have to do it in court. Also in theory, there are penalties in place for issuing fraudulent takedown notices.

Of course, in practise, people almost never get penalised for issuing fraudulent takedown notices, and they run rampant. And if your video gets taken down by a dodgy takedown, and your options are "risk going to court against a giant company with a department of overpaid lawyers over a video you're 90% sure is fair use, but could probably be twisted to be viewed as infringing by a sufficiently talented spin-doctor; or just walk away and let it blow over", in practise, what is your choice going to be?
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Amake

Postby Amake » 19 Dec 2013, 03:49

We clearly need a decentralized method for video sharing. Imagine Youtube's duties shared between ten thousand underground sites, each too insignificant for RIAA and other copyright infringement hunters to care about.

They'll also be too small to bother overdesigning and socialnetworking their sites. Probably the problem with so many subliterate viewers trying to form opinions that's typical of Youtube comments will go away as well. It could be wonderful.

The trouble is only if a video reaches youtube-like levels of popularity, it'll inspire uploaders to do their business with that site which is I think what put Youtube in the position it is today. That's weird, but maybe inevitable
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 19 Dec 2013, 04:10

See, now I feel Gav's taken the crowning position of "most absurd copyright claim issue" from John Fogerty, who actually got taken to court by CCR's old record label that held the rights to CCR's songs - they claimed that he wrote and recorded solo songs deliberately similar to the CCR songs he had written, presumably with the intent of cutting back on the revenue from the older songs (not having to pay royalties to the company for performing CCR songs during his solo concerts, etc.)

The jury disagreed after two hours of deliberation...after two weeks of trial proceedings and who knows how long between the initial filing of the suit (which likely included a Cease & Desist order) and the trial date. :P

But yeah, Gav getting his performances of HIS songs that HE owns the rights to, taken down in his defense. Number #1. :(

Yeah, YouTube done goofed. :roll:
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 Dec 2013, 04:54

We always have a white Christmas here.

Just the white is 5 miles to the south and 1 mile vertically upwards.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 19 Dec 2013, 07:51

empath wrote:But yeah, Gav getting his performances of HIS songs that HE owns the rights to, taken down in his defense. Number #1. :(

It's more absurd than just his video getting hit by a copyright claim. The group that made the claim, INDMusic, didn't do so with his permission. They did so on their own. Yet, they're also taking 20% of his videos' earnings for their 'service.' That's right. He's paying them (or more accurately, they're getting part of his money) for a service that he neither wanted, asked for, or consented to. And not by choice.
Laurnil
First Video: Cannot remember

Postby Laurnil » 19 Dec 2013, 10:25

I had that stereotypical uncomfortable experience of being a well-educated, single, childless female at a couple with a baby's house, last night.

My couple friends are actually really great, but my friend's mother and sister-in-law were also there. I got all those judgmental questions about my childlessness. I didn't think that shit actually happened.

I left and got ice cream. I felt that bad afterward.
Laurnil

http://www.twitter.com/laurnil

FYI: Laurnil is short for Laura Nichelle
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 19 Dec 2013, 10:28

When asked if I'll ever had a child I always say: "What, and ruin this figure?"
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Amake

Postby Amake » 19 Dec 2013, 13:37

So men get, on average, 20% higher paychecks than women do. You acknowledge this. And in the SAME BREATH you say there's no such thing as systematic oppression of women in our society. Not just one of you, either. I've heard this exact argument from five different middle aged white men today. I realize math is hard but you have to see twenty percent is not nothing.
Laurnil
First Video: Cannot remember

Postby Laurnil » 19 Dec 2013, 13:46

Amake wrote:So men get, on average, 20% higher paychecks than women do. You acknowledge this. And in the SAME BREATH you say there's no such thing as systematic oppression of women in our society. Not just one of you, either. I've heard this exact argument from five different middle aged white men today. I realize math is hard but you have to see twenty percent is not nothing.

Well, *clap clap* for you! At least somebody cares.
Laurnil

http://www.twitter.com/laurnil

FYI: Laurnil is short for Laura Nichelle

Return to “General Discussion”