Kerbal Space Program

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Jimor
First Video: Checkpoint

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Postby Jimor » 18 Dec 2013, 07:46

After missing the 0.22 window entirely, I've started a 0.23 Let's Play series that's mostly tutorial on how to get enough science to unlock the entire tech tree without resorting to Scott Manley-ish heroic builds and missions.

In Episode 1, I complete 5 easy missions to unlock up through half of the tier-4 parts (I'm counting the starter tier as #1).
Jimor

Postby Jimor » 19 Dec 2013, 14:25

Episode 2 is up, and I demonstrate the new transmission limit and how to get around it, and get into orbit to demonstrate biome hunting in near-Kerbin orbit.
FourEyedTroll
First Video: Echo

Postby FourEyedTroll » 19 Dec 2013, 18:05

Interesting 2nd video, but a quick question, why did you bring the materials lab and goo pods back on parachute? Why not do an EVA, remove the data, and jettison them to save on the no. of parachutes needed to land, as well as payload mass?
The Old Ludensian

This Interweb is pretty nifty, eh?

Aka: Osprey or OspreyGBR, mostly in the world of PC Gaming.
MtG: Mono-Black Infect. Hand of the Praetors FTW!

LRRCraft Server Link: lrrmc.dahou.se
Jimor

Postby Jimor » 19 Dec 2013, 19:14

Hmm, I wasn't aware you could do that. I knew you could take data from the capsule that way. That would have helped in the already recorded Ep 4 where I lose half of my Minmus science when the lander fell over on Kerbin and destroyed a material bay and 2 goo pods!
FourEyedTroll

Postby FourEyedTroll » 20 Dec 2013, 02:29

Indeed, once the experiment has been done, remove the data on EVA and store it in the capsule. Then you only need to return the capsule.

Profit!
The Old Ludensian

Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 20 Dec 2013, 07:29

Now I just need all the mods I've been using to update.
Been using KW rocketry and Interstellar, which adds a lot of nice (and not OP) stuff. Also thanks to the mods I was actually able to land a manned craft on a planet besides Eve and Duna and get them back (although I spent an hour trying to dock it with the craft that got it to that planet and was the ride back home again. I hate docking.

I've been really interested in the Planet Factory mod (adds a lot of new planets and moons) but its apparently buggy and very taxing on your computer.
FourEyedTroll

Postby FourEyedTroll » 20 Dec 2013, 08:32

Docking is great, much easier than non-atmopsheric landing I'd say.

Only mod I use is MechJeb, mainly for the auto-manouvre once I've set a node, and to put things into orbit. I find the landing autopilot is a bit risky, much better to land it yourself.
The Old Ludensian

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 20 Dec 2013, 08:50

Docking became fairly straightforward after I learned how to get close encounters relatively quickly and started using the docking alignment indicator plugin. Before then, it was hell. Landing on a non-atmospheric body is much more straight forward - just point at that retrograde vector and keep burning (landing efficiently is a whole other matter).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Jimor

Postby Jimor » 20 Dec 2013, 15:13

I've got docking down fairly well. In particular matching orbits is second hand, but I still get kind of flustered with the fiddly last few meters on occasion. Landing, well, I've only done it a couple of times on Mun and Minmus during my full science run in 0.22, and I managed without too many reloads. Ep 5 of my series is when I go back for surface science.

In the meantime, here's Episode 3. Nothing really exciting, I just clean up some more available science from near-Kerbin orbit and high orbit. Enough to get the fuel lines to build the Mun/Minmus encounter ship for Episode 4.

It's not "officially" released, but you can view it now. I fly by both Mun and Minmus in 2 separate missions for their near and high orbit science. This was surprisingly long at almost an hour and a quarter, even with speedups during some obvious waiting bits. And yet, I didn't really find much that I could cut, either, because I wanted to be sure to show a lot of the procedures for anybody who still has trouble with this kind of mission.

I'm rather amazed that I found that much to talk about during these missions. (I'm largely doing the gaming videos on that channel in order to practice talking "in public" for some other projects I want to do.)
FourEyedTroll

Postby FourEyedTroll » 21 Dec 2013, 11:14

I also do fly-bys first. I tend to do high and low missions, and then a polar orbital in order to get all the orbital data I can (If you have gravity scanners, this needs to be high and low orbit for each biome). It also seems legit that you'd spot out landing sites from low (around 12-10km) orbit first before making a landing mission.

I have however ditched F9 reloads, with the exception of a game glitch/error that destroys the mission (not rocket disintegration due to structural weakness or too powerful engines collapsing the rocket's mid section, that's a design flaw. No quicksave reloads, or flight reverts, and an aim to achieve a Duna colony with a better cosmonaut fatality rating than the USA (4.1%) or the USSR/Russian Federation (0.9%). This means that I both design and test escape tower designs before manned missions, and tend to use probes to test rockets thoroughly before launching my Kerbonauts.

Edit:
At present, I've lost no Kerbals, and crashed missions on the Mun. I say crashed, basically landed on a slope a bit too fast and broke the engine off the ship's base. Just to keep you updated.
The Old Ludensian

AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 05 Jan 2014, 17:33

I'm working my way into a nice little relay system where I have a station & lander orbiting the Mun bringing science up to orbit where my regular Orbiter can take it back to Kerbin. Love being able to move science from one ship to another! Hardest part was getting decent amounts of fuel out to the station before I unlocked the nuke rockets. Big goal for .23 is to return a crew from the surface of Eve.
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
FourEyedTroll

Postby FourEyedTroll » 06 Jan 2014, 01:31

I've been working on a similar arrangement for Duna (Have landed a rover there already), largely because I felt the effort required for the Mun was a bit unecessary. That said it'd be nice to set up a permanent Munbase and orbital platform.

The Orbiter-surface shuttle is a lot easier for Duna actually, because you don't need fuel for landing, so the craft can be much lighter. It also means the engine and fuel tanks are neatly capped by a parachute dome, I've yet to find a decent looking substitute for those for vacuum flight.
The Old Ludensian

Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 10 Feb 2014, 02:37

Because this is a nice story
http://imgur.com/a/SDt0M
FourEyedTroll

Postby FourEyedTroll » 10 Feb 2014, 05:09

I like the cruiser design, but something that big seems like it has a lot of potential for physics related fails. Personally, I prefer something that looks more like this...

http://www.startrek.com/database_article/ares-iv
The Old Ludensian

Hepheastus
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Postby Hepheastus » 25 Feb 2014, 01:43

I finally got myself a copy of the game (and a laptop that can run it) I've had some success with mission to Mun and Minmus and I've started planning a mission to Duna. Having never designed a planetary mission does anyone have any advice?
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 25 Feb 2014, 04:39

Depends. do you want it to come back?
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 25 Feb 2014, 04:50

Yeah that's the idea. I'm thinking a separate lander and CM, launching them individually and docking in orbit around Kerbin before leaving for Duna. I think (touch wood) I have enough delta V although I'm not entirely sure I've calculated it correctly. (Also in planning is a robotic mission to Eve. That one will not be coming back)

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 25 Feb 2014, 05:24

Ok, well you might have to do some orbital construction yeah. Nuclear engines is also probably your best bet.
And yeah, Eve is probably best not to try to make a return trip to. Given the thick atmosphere; getting off Eve's surface and back into space is a pain.
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 25 Feb 2014, 05:29

That's what I hear, I haven't researched Nuclear engines yet. My currently plan is to try it with a skipper engine. I seem to remember it having a fairly high Isp

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Feb 2014, 05:42

As usual, I recommend more boosters and struts.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 25 Feb 2014, 05:43

err... I would advice against it. The skipper engine is kind of crap, and to me only seems like a steppingstone you have to climb to get to nuclear and mainsail.
Basically, if you wanna make it to another planet and get back, Nuclear is almost your only option because while they are really weak, they are the only engines that seem efficient enough to get there with fuel left (and sometimes even that's not enough). unless you are crazy any wanna go with ion engines... but only a crazy person does that (Yes I have tried).

My advice is to try a few more mün/minmus missions to get more science (alternatively; sending a ship to leave kerbin orbit and enter solar orbit. Grab science and head back to kerbin.
Or send some unmanned probes that has no need for coming back
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 25 Feb 2014, 05:58

Hmm if that's the case I may bolt some Stayputniks on the craft and do a dry run to see if it can be accomplished

FourEyedTroll

Postby FourEyedTroll » 25 Feb 2014, 15:54

I'll grab a screenshot of each of the components of my return Duna mission. The only advantage to having a separate lander and CM is if you are going to ditch the lander in Duna orbit. Otherwise, make the Lander the CM, and have it re-dock with the service module that carries the transfer engines.

The mission I ran as an orbit and landing on Duna (Tempus III) made it from LKO to Duna and back with enough fuel to park the drive section in orbit for re-use.
The Old Ludensian

FourEyedTroll

Postby FourEyedTroll » 25 Feb 2014, 16:31

Tempus Lander
A - Docking point to Command Module for outbound trip.
B - Docking port for ascent orbital docking around Duna, or attaching additional components for transport (Rovers, materials lab probes, etc). Also handy backup if you land a bit harder than you expected and break A off.

8 Landing Legs, 4 engines, with a central fuel tank that also feed the four using fuel-lines. No science, this is deployed as a 1-way collection probe from which you can retrieve the experiments (excuse to also land a rover to ferry Kerbals between lander and probes). Note the probe core so that this can be launched to LKO unmanned, and controlled in Duna orbit once ditched, if you want to recycle it.

This is docked to...

Tempus Command and Service Module

B - Docking port for Lander
C - Docking point for drive section
D - Emergency reserve fuel
E - Refuelling port for LKO preparation

This is Flown up first to LKO, complete with 3 Kerbals for the mission. The launching unit detaches and is ditched once orbit is achieved (this has no engine of it's own, so best launched with no fuel for weight reduction, you can re-fuel it in orbit). Note the CM is attached to the SM with a docking port, so that when the CM is put on to re-entry path, the SM can (if still attached to the drive section) be kept in orbit for recycled use. (Why launch two when you can re-use one?). This also carried any science parts that need to be done in orbit and collected there. Only the capsule needs to re-enter Kerbin atmosphere, though the whole SM section can too if you want to enjoy the spectacle of de-orbiting debris.

This is docked to...

Tempus Drive Module

C - Docking port connection to Service Module
F - Principle propulsion for planetary transfer
G - Probe core for automated docking and de-de-orbit on return to Kerbin (detatch CM on re-entry patch, and push DM and SM to safety for re-use).

This has since been replaced by the Barbarian Drive Module, which has a bigger lower fuel tank.

I find this design works, has enough fuel plus reserves in the event of error, is simple and durable, and has enough parachute drag on the lander that engines are not required except for take-off. The only thing missing from these images is the refueller module that tops up the fuel used to connect her all together, and the launchers required to put them up there.
The Old Ludensian

Jimor

Postby Jimor » 01 Mar 2014, 01:07

That is a fine looking set of ships. Fingers crossed for a successful mission! (Of course, in KSP, dying in new and interesting ways counts among the successful outcomes.)

Finally got episode 5 of my How To Science! tutorial posted. It's a long one that got away from me a bit (90 mins), but I decided to keep in the first launch failure and the resultant reworking of the craft. Then it's one full mission, then a 2nd mission starting from Munar orbit.

Now on to #6 where I think I have a possible way of making multiple return trips for more science semi-interesting.

Return to “Video Games”