Sherlock Lives

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Sherlock Lives

Postby Lemegeton » 02 Jan 2014, 01:58

so i know we have lots of Sherlock fans here. who saw the new EP?
what you think of the explanation for the fall.
Personally i hope thats not the explanation as its total bullshit. in the Fall episode it took 6-7 seconds from sherlock jumping to hitting the pavement. the explanation given in the empty hearse could not be pulled off in those 6-7 seconds. also if mycroft was really able to neutralize moriarty's sniper then why would sherlock even need to fake his death in the first place. it was moriarties ppl that needed to seem him fall.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Re: Sherlock Lives

Postby Darkobra » 02 Jan 2014, 04:51

I think the last explanation was the only plausible one.

As you know, Moriarty was a lunatic. Predictably unpredictable. So long as one man was around (and it seems going by his network, many more are) then the show had to continue.

It explains how Mycroft also knew and wanted to keep tabs on Sherlock afterwards, knowing his penchant to get in trouble.

It'd also explain why the attacker tried to burn John and texted Mary. To test the theory of Sherlock's resurfacing. Moriarty's men truly did believe he was dead until recently. Maybe one wasn't caught and did actually see the fall.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 02 Jan 2014, 05:15

yes the ppl who tried to burn john were clearly connected to moriarty. the text mary received mentioning james, of all names, was not coincidence i think. and then the guy at the end freezing the video on sherlock pretty much confirms the whole point of that was to draw out sherlock and confirm he was alive. but i am still not satisfied re: the fall. there must be more to it. 6-7 seconds was not long enough for sherlock to jump into the mat and all that ensued.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 02 Jan 2014, 05:24

omgomgomg
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 02 Jan 2014, 05:58

Well I feel one of us is missing something here because Watson was knocked over by a bike, intentionally buying time for Lazarus to take off. You're right that 6 seconds is FAR from enough time but these people are special agents. They know what they're doing, they have probably done similar and had a briefing on the way to say a rough guideline of times. Like "Sherlock must be off the ground by the third second and the body dropped simultaneously."

And with Watson down and out for a good 10-15 seconds, it'd have bought them a bit more time. So I'd say it was more 30 seconds.

Everything was orchestrated and the only two groups not in on it were Moriarty's men and Watson. The entire street was closed off to public and the rest were actors in the stage for this very scenario.

So picture every passer by as someone working for Mycroft and each and every one of them knowing their role, right down to the cyclist that knocks over Watson.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Jan 2014, 06:22

We could also simply conclude that Anderson has completely and totally lost it and Sherlock really never was there.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 02 Jan 2014, 06:25

That was one of my thoughts too. However, the story itself was definitely the neatest of them all and made the most sense.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 02 Jan 2014, 06:52

ok forget about the bits about john getting knocked over and stuff. thats all fine. i am literally concerned with sherlock jumping in the original ep and a body hitting the pavement after 6-7 seconds. the explanation said that sherlock jumps onto the big mat which is pulled away and the other body is pushed out the window and thats the body we see hitting the pavement. its this part i don't accept happening in 6 seconds. sherlock jumping > landing on the mat> mat is pulled away > body pushed out window > that body hits pavement. 6/7 seconds is just too short IMO to pull that off even with highly trained people. look at the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W4dHJ31Qyg there is not a single window open on his way down so the window would have to be opened adding more time.

i am prob being too analytical here :) and this could have just been bad editing from the original ep ,but moffat always maintained the clues were there for us to figure it out, but that's bullshit if the explanation given turns out to be true.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 02 Jan 2014, 06:52

I'm not going to have a very popular opinion, but here goes.

I watched it with a friend yesterday and we both agreed that it wasn't a very good episode. It focused to much on "Look, Sherlocks back" and too little on the actual case. It also didn't really feel like 2 years had passed, despite Molly and John getting engaged.* I don't know how they could have improved that though.

Also, why the hell did the bomb have an off switch? I don't consider it impossible, but it reminded me so much of this tweet from Pixar: "Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating."

Furthermore, I felt that Sherlock's character was weird. He seemed way more cheery and fun loving then in the last 2 seasons. It's clear he has grown more fond of his friends, but the fact that happened off screen when he was away from them for 2 years doesn't sit right with me.

But the editing was wat really annoyed me here. There was a shot where Johns head was way off center 80% of the time. There was no need at all to intercut the interview Sherlock had with Anderson right in the middle of the climax. I did love that scene though. They knew no explanation would be good enough for the fans and Andersons doubt symbolises every fanboy ever :P

And that whole part with Sherlock thinking about the trains being all psychedelic was the editors showing off. I like it more when these things were more subtle, like simple words floating in shot.

I'm sorry if I sound overly negative. I really love the show, but this just felt like such a weak outing.

*not to each other of course.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 02 Jan 2014, 07:02

RedNightmare wrote:I'm not going to have a very popular opinion, but here goes.

i agree with a lot of this. compared to season 1 and 2 it was quite weak. the off switch was a complete cop-out and the whole thing about using a train as a bomb and setting it off beneath parliament on guy Fawkes night was a total rip off from V for Vendetta. agree about Sherlock's behavior. the easiest example was putting on the hat at the end. he loathed even being associated with the thing and the media attention in Season 2. and last night as john pointed out he was proper loving it.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 02 Jan 2014, 07:19

Yeah, a lot of that wasn't adding up for me. It's not something I'm liking.

I wish it DID focus more on the case. An hour and a half and it was all about HE'S BACK! Right, there are only 3 episodes in the series. Get on with it!
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Jan 2014, 09:06

I really enjoyed the episode.The last explanation was pretty much on par with an episode of Jonathan Creek where a man kills himself by jumping out of a window.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 02 Jan 2014, 14:15

More than any of the previous 6, this felt much more like a tv episode rather than a tv film.
Ultimately I found it somewhat disappointing, but with plenty of good bits.

The mind palace bits in particular felt like they were really drawn out and much less engaging than the ones in the likes of Baskerville and Reichenbach, which both clearly showed the audience his thinking patterns as he worked through possibilities, whereas the ones in this episode were just LETS PROJECT TOPICAL STUFF ON HIS FACE!!

And yeah, the Anderson/Sherlock conversation felt appropriate, but completely at the wrong point.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 02 Jan 2014, 16:16

I am yet to watch the episode that explains the whole "not dying" thing so I will restrain myself from reading the spoilers...
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 02 Jan 2014, 21:56

Ahhahahaaaaaa spoilers how I have missed you (I have no self control and read them all).
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 03 Jan 2014, 03:41

Psyclone wrote:Ahhahahaaaaaa spoilers how I have missed you (I have no self control and read them all).

*slings you over my shoulder and walks out the room* WATCH THE EPISODE!
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 03 Jan 2014, 09:27

Although to be honest you wouldn't miss a whole lot by not watching the episode. It was more "Sherlock's back!" than anything else. The only real draw is the suggestions as to how he survives. Oh and the reunion between Sherlock and John.

I think you can put her down now Darkobra :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 03 Jan 2014, 10:50

Not until she has self-esteem and stops reading spoilers!

Also, you all forgot one thing: Watson's moustache. As memorial as Sherlock's hat.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 03 Jan 2014, 15:40

Wait... is this out already? Why haven't I heard about it?
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 03 Jan 2014, 15:47

I am more interested in how Charles Augustus Magnussen (The man we see at the end) fits in as he is suppose to be Charles Augustus Milverton (Given a more Scandinavian name because he is played by a danish actor) and he is suppose to be the king of the blackmailers but he didn't seem like a blackmailer
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 03 Jan 2014, 15:55

I don't actually watch Sherlock (well, haven't really had the chance/time to), but pretty much all of yesterday, two of my close female friends were fangirling so hard.. But apparently more to do with some crazy Tumblr-wishful kiss that apparently happened or whatever with hair ruffling and omgomgomgomg, etc?
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 03 Jan 2014, 16:33

Oh yeah. One of the theories was: It was an elaborate prank by Moriarty and Sherlock to fake his death with a really poorly done dummy so that Moriarty and Sherlock could run off into the sunset as lovers. Also they nearly kissed.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 04 Jan 2014, 07:08

I actually really liked the episode.

The off switch thing really doesn't seem very far-fetched IMO. If I'd made a bomb like that it'd have an of switch, the odds of something happening that changes your plans is infinitely more likely than some secret agent stumbling in and trying to mess up your plans.

Also, this episode seemed mostly to tie up some loose ends from the previous season. I'd say there are some big things gonna happen and they didn't want everything that happened previously mucking it up.

Finally, I do like the parts where Sherlock is just playing with Watson a bit. It's relatively cruel, but very much in character.

In all, I agree that parts of it could've been better, but this episode really promises a lot for the rest of the season.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 04 Jan 2014, 17:01

I thought the hair-ruffling bit was the Sherlolly part? *still hasn't seen the episode*
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 04 Jan 2014, 17:03

*picks Psyclone back up*
Like a vampire.
But with knives.

Return to “General Discussion”