The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Duckay » 11 Jan 2014, 14:54

I definitely don't remember my first ever rare, but my first planeswalker was Sorin Markov. I also had an attachment to / affection for Predator Ooze for a while because I pulled it at my first prerelease.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 11 Jan 2014, 16:47

Welp my deck is totes going back to blue/green when BotG hits. not only is the planeswalker pretty nice but the blue pre-release promo is a match made in heaven with Prophet of Kruphix
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 11 Jan 2014, 17:32

My first boosters were in the 2011 deck builder toolkit. Can't remember all of the pulls, of course, but one of them was Elspeth Tirel...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 11 Jan 2014, 18:48

Duckay wrote:I definitely don't remember my first ever rare, but my first planeswalker was Sorin Markov. I also had an attachment to / affection for Predator Ooze for a while because I pulled it at my first prerelease.

My first walker was Tibalt... :(

...Well, it looks like blue is going to have the strongest pre-release promo again. Being able to get the top card of your library onto the battlefield is very strong. It's going to be hard to kill too. But at least it isn't as blatantly good. The black one is strong too. Green and Red are both pretty solid. And white's ability will be as good as the enchantments we see in this set.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 11 Jan 2014, 18:58

I went blue for the Theros prerelease, so I'm probably going to continue down that path.

My first walker was Sorin Markov. It was at a time where mono-black was a thing in Standard, too. Though I probably shouldn't have taken out my Steel Hellkite for him.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 11 Jan 2014, 19:11

The green one was the one that really caught my eye. In limited they'll all be pretty bomb-y I think, though.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Jan 2014, 19:35

The green one is interesting. It's either removal, or it's a 12/12. Trouble is, it can be killed pretty easily and can be chumped all day.

Also, I have to admit that I'm starting to get sick of the 'everyone gets a card they can use in their deck.' It's a guaranteed bomb that isn't guaranteed to work in your colors.
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 11 Jan 2014, 19:43

I one of the first rares I remember opening was the very meh Workhorse from Exodus.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 11 Jan 2014, 21:35

My first rare was a Sangromancer, and my first two Planeswalker pulls were both Chandra, the Firebrand. Slightly better than Tibalt I guess.

I noticed that all the BNG prerelease promos are 6 or 7 CMC, while the THS ones had a wider range. I wonder if the new set is going to slow things down a little bit like it was "supposed" to be.
brb, assaulting children.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Jan 2014, 01:11

I don't remember my first of anything, since that's going back to Ice Age, but I do remember I got a Jester's Cap pretty early.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 12 Jan 2014, 05:56

Three of those pre-release cards are so busted. White and blue for edh, and the green one is exactly what is needed in standard right now for monsters to really become a thing.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 12 Jan 2014, 10:12

The Green one is chumpable it's true but for Standard most big green decks will run Nylea which negates that problem
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 12 Jan 2014, 12:07

not sure about those promos. need to see the full set first.the green one is absurd though and tribute could be a very broken mechanic. has a sense of damned if you do, damned if you don't about it.

Utilitarian wrote:The Green one is chumpable it's true but for Standard most big green decks will run Nylea which negates that problem

and lets not forget those decks also run kalonian hydra.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Jan 2014, 12:30

Kalonian Hydra doesn't really do much for helping him get through though. Even if he's an 18/18 himself, he doesn't natively have trample. I do like that he's either giant, or he kills a thing. I'm not sure how great he'll be in standard (my guess is not great for competitive). But he'll be good for limited. It's just too bad that limited is the format where chump-blocking is easiest.

The white seems like it'll be bleh for standard and limited unless we get a decent number of good enchantments in the new set. It'll be a lot of fun in EDH decks. I would throw him in with Bruna too.

Blue seems powerful. Might be decent in mono-blue midrange as a finisher, since it'll help get more card draws. But I doubt it'll be competitive. EDH sounds like a lot of fun. And it seems like it'll be good in limited if you can get a decent blue/x deck.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 12 Jan 2014, 14:09

I'm not actually all that enthused about either of the cards we've seen with it at the moment, but I'm really interested to see what else we get with Inspiration and Tribute. I tentatively like the look of both mechanics.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Jan 2014, 14:15

I'm just kind of sad that Kiora seems to be meant for control decks, who'll get the most value from her. That common thing that makes your creatures into birds of paradise is interesting though.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 12 Jan 2014, 17:56

Kapol wrote:I'm just kind of sad that Kiora seems to be meant for control decks, who'll get the most value from her. That common thing that makes your creatures into birds of paradise is interesting though.

Springleaf Drum is a reprint to be fair but it's still a neat card. Can be interesting with Vigilant creatures. I want to use it with the promo Sphinx and Prophet of Kruphix.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 12 Jan 2014, 17:59

I really want to see Prophet of Kruphix become a "thing". I know I've said that before but it still holds true.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Jan 2014, 18:22

The only thing I can see holding it back is the fact that removal is everywhere. And her three toughness prevents her from being protected from most burn (unless you play her with Master Biommancer, which does help). But the fact she's a big enough threat to draw removal says a lot about her. Having played with her, she becomes a big issue for opponents if they don't deal with her quickly. Though she requires a source of mana-dumping to be her best.
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 12 Jan 2014, 21:02

r/g monsters is gonna be sweeeeeeeeet with that green promo. The biggest problem decks that _aren't_ black have is removing something once it gets out of lightning strike range. even without trample, at 12/12 he can block all day for me like a boss.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Jan 2014, 21:42

Bad news for monster decks. Monstrosity is the ONLY mechanic not coming back in BotG. :(

The newest god looks pretty powerful. It turns out the 'devotion to color1+color2 less than 7 was the right answer. And because of that, they're going to be pretty powerful. Especially when you consider the fact that it's only 1 extra devotion in the end, thanks to the fact it costs one of each color to begin with.

It also appears that we are going to get the allied colored gods, not the enemy colored. Which sucks for simic.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 12 Jan 2014, 21:52

Kapol wrote:The newest god looks pretty powerful. It turns out the 'devotion to color1+color2 less than 7 was the right answer. And because of that, they're going to be pretty powerful. Especially when you consider the fact that it's only 1 extra devotion in the end, thanks to the fact it costs one of each color to begin with.

However, it's not just "devotion to white plus devotion to blue", as {W/U} hybrid mana only counts once, not for both. So you can't, say, turn on the UB god by just playing a Nightveil Specter and nothing else.

I mean, they way they went with it is ultimately the direction I expected them to go, but still.

Kapol wrote:It also appears that we are going to get the allied colored gods, not the enemy colored. Which sucks for simic.

Yeah, the enemy-coloured gods are coming in the last set.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Jan 2014, 22:08

If you could, that would be nuts and pretty dumb really. And yea, that's how I figured they'd go too.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 13 Jan 2014, 10:20

phlip wrote:However, it's not just "devotion to white plus devotion to blue", as {W/U} hybrid mana only counts once, not for both. So you can't, say, turn on the UB god by just playing a Nightveil Specter and nothing else.

Where'd the info about hybrid mana symbols only counting once come from? I can't find that in the spoiler article on the mothership.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 13 Jan 2014, 12:32

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”