General LRL Stream Feedback

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

General LRL Stream Feedback

Postby Paul » 12 Jan 2014, 13:55

Post any comments/suggestions/questions for the LoadingReadyLive streaming project in general.

Please post any questions or comments specific to a particular show in the appropriate thread.

New show threads will be started whenever the streamer feels it is appropriate.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: General LRL Stream Feedback

Postby Kapol » 12 Jan 2014, 14:13

The only thing I have feedback on is that having a co-pilot seems to make things go better in general. Especially for games like Cam's that require a lot more strategic thinking. Obviously, it's not a huge deal if nobody is available/wants to. It just seems that the streams are more interesting with multiple people involved.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 12 Jan 2014, 14:14

Ah good, I was wondering if/when we'd get a forum for this. The only thing that I've noticed is the streams are better when the main personality has a co pilot. A little more audience interaction and it's always fun to see someone elses reactions to what's happening.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 12 Jan 2014, 14:15

I pretty much love everything about LoadingReadyLive. But I'd agree that things are much better when the streamer has a Communications Manager, as it were.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Jan 2014, 14:53

Kapol wrote:The only thing I have feedback on is that having a co-pilot seems to make things go better in general. Especially for games like Cam's that require a lot more strategic thinking. Obviously, it's not a huge deal if nobody is available/wants to. It just seems that the streams are more interesting with multiple people involved.

Prospero101 wrote:I pretty much love everything about LoadingReadyLive. But I'd agree that things are much better when the streamer has a Communications Manager, as it were.

Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 12 Jan 2014, 15:05

I agree with the above posters. Gaming streams are always better with more people.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jan 2014, 18:19

Two be clear, I think Two is the the optimum number, when you get two three people I think thats two many as you get cross talk rather than talking to chat.

I really wish Twitch could figure out what they did to their system and get rid of the lag again. It was really bad on Grahams stream, and sounded like a pain on James' too.

Could you add a day by day schedule here either as a image or just in text in the first post?

The one on the blog with show names is kind of hard to follow.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Jan 2014, 18:27

Three didn't seem bad to me. But the only one I remember seeing with three was Jer's Book Of Secrets. There wasn't as much viewer interaction, but that's fine with me to be honest.
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 12 Jan 2014, 18:55

Yep, every time there has been two people present the stream has been much better. Not just as a person who can interact with the chat more (though that helps a lot), but it gives the streamer someone to talk to, and a second mind to think up things to say. Something I've noticed from watching Let's Plays is that when things start getting a bit stale after 20 hours or whatnot, bringing in a new person with fresh eyes can really, really help revive things, as mechanics have to be explained to them, they offer fresh insight into things, and add their own quirky take on things (I noticed this a lot with Game Informer's Super Replays.)
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 12 Jan 2014, 21:16

Something that I've been curious about is James wanting to have a bunch of the LRR crew stream. Have any of you seen or tried Guns of Icarus? I'd love to see ya'll work a steampunk zeppelin.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 12 Jan 2014, 21:44

Lord Hosk wrote:Could you add a day by day schedule here either as a image or just in text in the first post?

The one on the blog with show names is kind of hard to follow.

Are you talking the page you get to by clicking the LoadingReadyLive banner on the home page?
(ie. http://loadingreadyrun.com/live)

If so, what could be done to make it clearer?
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jan 2014, 22:27

I didnt know that existed, I was just looking at the blog post that lists the shows in order of how they are listed.

Thanks Paul.

But since you asked. Maybe something like this?

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Yorick
First Video: The Whole Story: Pants

Postby Yorick » 13 Jan 2014, 06:43

For how long after broadcast will the recordings make it on to youtube?
Official spokesman for the Amalgamated union of Scrubs and Casuals.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 14 Jan 2014, 03:01

Yorick, it varies, but we're getting better on a 1-day YouTube turnaround.

I tend to agree on two cohosts (for chat reading purposes) but sometimes it's a very different feeling by oneself. Sometimes it can be... too much(?) with constant feedback from streamers.

I prefer to be on my own for House of Stark. It's just me and you guys, and it feels more relaxed.
(Having said that, I hope Jer can join me soon so we can bond over how much we used to love Resident Evil)

Just my feeling. Regardless, the way it's worked so far is: Is someone else around? Do they want to sit in? They do so. It hasn't been planned, so I don't see co-hosts stopping.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 14 Jan 2014, 06:32

I don't think anyone can handle juggling the chat and the game better than you can, Graham. But for shows like A Swiftly Tilting Cameron or Kathleen Saves The World, where the player really has to concentrate to avoid getting killed, I think that's where a cohost is most needed.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Jan 2014, 11:05

I think the biggest trouble with interacting with chat isnt the reading of chat while playing, you guys all have a bunch of experience at this from desert bus. Its that you take a pause to talk to chat, but you aren't really talking to them, you are talking to them 30 seconds ago.

A big part of what all the streamers do is say "what should we do here" but because of the lag, which is all on the twitch side, they tend to move on before chat even has a chance to answer.

[–]Graham_LRR
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 14 Jan 2014, 11:43

I do think that the lag is a pretty big issue. It's just too bad there's nothing that the crew can do about it.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Jan 2014, 13:40

Sure they can, they just have to predict what they are going to want to ask, 30 seconds before they want to ask it, then ask it, continue as if they didnt ask, then ask again and look up at chat to see a instant response. DAHHHH!

[–]Graham_LRR
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 14 Jan 2014, 14:25

Is the lag endemic to twitch, or is it due to the time it takes to encode the video? I've not watched many streams on twitch. If it isn't always present on every twitch stream I'd be interested to test things with lower encoding settings and benchmark the time lag, router optimization, etc.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 14 Jan 2014, 14:47

Canageek wrote:Is the lag endemic to twitch, or is it due to the time it takes to encode the video? I've not watched many streams on twitch. If it isn't always present on every twitch stream I'd be interested to test things with lower encoding settings and benchmark the time lag, router optimization, etc.

Having done a few streams myself I can attest that it's a Twitch thing, and a recent one at that. A lot of people have been complaining.
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 14 Jan 2014, 14:52

Twitch has said on their blog that they're "working on it."

For whatever the hell that's worth.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 14 Jan 2014, 14:54

It's a Twitch thing - they made a major change about a month ago to give a big boost to their scalability, which was becoming a problem... but as a side-effect, added around a 30 second lag to every stream. They're looking to improve the lag, but in the meantime that's what we're stuck with.

I'm starting to have "too much content" problems with the streams... last night I was all "OK, it's past my bedtime, but I'll finish watching CPt+ and then go to bed" and then, after also watching 3 hours of GPLP, I finally actually stopped. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. I'm just glad I didn't accidentally start watching Beej's stream as well.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Jan 2014, 15:46

Cam's stream may kill me.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 14 Jan 2014, 16:00

Well, if you enable the HTML5 Youtube Beta ( http://www.youtube.com/html5 ) you can watch things at 1.5x or 2.0x. Sadly those are both too fast for me, I'd like a 1.2x version myself, which I can listen to and still understand things (I use a podcasting client that lets me do this; I can listen to up to 1.6x on podcasts where the hosts have slow accents, but 1.2-1.4x is my max most of the time.)

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Jan 2014, 17:37

Anyone else getting my problem?

Mobile site says I'm banned, but main site is fine.
I haven't been able to watch live video since the middle of GPLP yesterday, though replays are fine.
When trying to watch live video on the Web, I get a constant "Loading video..." and all black screen.
Twitch App displays video fine.
This applies to all streams, not just LRR.

Edit: Changing my Flash version fixed it, and I'm no longer mobile "banned" anymore. Weird...
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”