LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Jan 2014, 18:15

I'm doing better today, having slept for 11 hours, but I hope a whole weekend will refresh me and I can tackle the problems on Monday, which is a holiday anyway.

Regarding redstone, the only clocks I am aware of are 3:

1. The Cobble Generator, which is a long-term clock, and should be off most of the time anyway, unless someone's harvesting.
2. The Cash4Trash system, which is only on when the thing fills up, and only repeats until it empties. Also, the system's not on right now.
3. The 16-tick loop in my admin base running about 20-odd command blocks continuously checking for things.

#3 is the only one that's constantly on.

If anyone knows of any other redstone clocks, let me know.

Regarding RAM, I do not have those stats, and wish I did. I could show you disk usage, but it's only minor blips, and mostly nothing. Also, I just realized my CPU chart was only for CPU0. I'll need to select CPU1 and see the comparison, when the site starts working again with the graphs.

Regarding entities, it could be mobs spawning, but that should be limited. It's also why I have told the several people who have farms to limit their breeding. I had one player complaining that he only had a "small" farm, when it had probably 100 to 150 cows, before I thinned the herd.
Also, I've found spots of floating sand and/or gravel (cave or ravine formed under desert or such) and I've found collapsing them helps.
Finally, leaves decaying could be an issue, too, with the saplings and apples falling and staying on the ground. This is one of the reasons I set up auto-collection at the tree farm, as items in the chest won't cause lag.

The mob grinder next to the Market has an on-off switch that flips the lights, so the mobs can't keep spawning while it's not in use. I should add some redstone lights to Kool's Grinder, too.

I've also found that dimension-hopping causes some issues, but they usually pan themselves out after a few minutes.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

DewKnight
First Video: Stalking

Postby DewKnight » 17 Jan 2014, 19:00

Wow, that's a big farm. Mine has maybe 20 animals at a time in it.

I've always seen nether issues. We even completely disabled it for a while and built a fake nether because it was causing so much lag. I'm sure that it has improved a lot since then.

It would be good to gather as much information as possible about player positions and such when the lag occurs. Then one can compare the data to see if there is a common location or player that seems to cause it, and check out the general area for any issues. I might look into making a basic plugin for this if you do end up going the bukkit route.

We once had a bad chunk on our server. Going into the chunk would lag people out. We walled it off. One day it just fixed itself. Minecraft is weird.

If you had hard drive IO charts, that might be interesting to look at. Probably won't be too bad with the number of players we have, and a VPS usually having a raid setup.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that there are a few "no lag" type plugins out there as well. They optimize and change a few things around to eliminate lag. Worldguard can be configured to do some of that as well.
Suffix
First Video: Desert Bus for Hope V.1

Postby Suffix » 17 Jan 2014, 20:29

Memo, thank you for all your hard work.
I only just started playing on LRRcraft recently, and you've got a hell of a community on there.
I hope to one day get back on, and complete my giant jungle tree base. But, not until you are sure everything works up to your standards. No point otherwise.
If there is anything I can do, do not hesitate to ask.
Watching since DB1!
Suffix in the Chat - all the Chats.
warboss5
First Video: Something on the escapist, probably ENN

Postby warboss5 » 18 Jan 2014, 15:38

I wanted to add my thanks to all those that have come before, thank you AdmiralMemo for making such an awesome server. While I am sad to see my "giant tower of dirt with a massive stone watchtower on top" project put on indefinite hyatus, I greatly enjoyed the time I did have to spend on it :D
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jan 2014, 16:17

I slept for 12 hours today, and am slowly getting more rested.

red_mist
First Video: omni linugual

Postby red_mist » 18 Jan 2014, 19:06

I'm glad your feeling a little better.. I guess I missed the whole story why the server was shut down... cant wait till its running again.
Image ...just watch it!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Jan 2014, 15:49

As I understand the whole story is:

AdmiralMemo's parents house burned down a while ago, and while everyone was safe that created a HUGE mess in their lives both in living conditions and financial aggravation with insurance. To add to this stress his parents moved in with him "temporarily" until their new house was build. As someone who has moved back with his parents for a short time, I feel his pain. We all love our families but there is a certain dynamic established growing up between adults and children, and subconsciously that still exists later on, trouble is, adults and adults dont interact the same and so simple things just grate on you without you even knowing it. For example, When I finish with a shower and dry off I hang the damp towel on the door handle to dry, my mother thinks you can only use a towel once then its "dirty" and has to be washed, she can tell a 10 year old not to do that, it aint happening with a ummm, over 30 year old.

His Job is working him hard and he has had some business trips that messed with his sleep schedule and then having extra people in the house made it difficult to shift back.

In the midst of this stress, LoadingReadyLive started, with James and Graham streaming Minecraft. They touted Memo's server as "An amazing server full of great works and the server for LRR fans to have fun together" Both of which are true but led to a influx of people more than doubling the player base and over tripling the active players. The average in december was around one person online at any given time, during a LRL event there would be over a dozen.

Meanwhile a few people had been doing some things they probably shouldn't have like having a unnecessarily massive farm, or leaving redstone devices active, that created some issues that the system could mostly handle with a low load but were exacerbated by a lot more people. In addition Minecraft has always had a few glitches and weird bad areas that cause spikes in lag, these were also made worse by the influx of people. as instead of one person stumbling on one onces in awhile and them either being ignored or fixed, 5 or 10 people would be Chris-crossing them. Lastly people are connecting from all over the world and the server basically runs at the speed of the slowest connection. So if 6 people are happy mining away on their cable modems and someone comes in on a 14.4 dial up(slight exaggeration), everyone slows down.

In the end, AdmiralsMemo is fixing things at the rate he can, so he can continue to share this with us which he is under no obligation to do but is doing so out of the goodness of his heart. But most importantly, he is getting some much needed and deserved rest.

Did I get it right?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
DewKnight
First Video: Stalking

Postby DewKnight » 19 Jan 2014, 19:09

I think you missed the part about the space aliens coming down and stealing all of our shoes.

Wait... That may be related to something entirely different.
Suffix

Postby Suffix » 19 Jan 2014, 19:13

Okay. I am missing a pair of shoes...

WHAT THE HELL ALIENS!?
Watching since DB1!
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 19 Jan 2014, 19:54

I can add the lights to my grinder, if you want. I can probably do that. In fact, I sorta want to add a water chute to make grinding more efficient.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Jan 2014, 20:49

Hosk has it basically right, except...
Lord Hosk wrote:leaving redstone devices active
I don't know of anyone doing this. As I said, I'm only 3 "active" redstone devices, one of which essentially runs the server's moderation stuff, and the other two being inactive most of the time.
Also, unless someone's actively in or near a chunk, it's not loaded, unless it's within the 300-block radius of spawn, I believe. That's why my admin base is where it is, so the stuff that runs the server stays loaded.

I've found a way to fix the Market sell-back system. Good news: Theoretically can give out different things per input item. Bad news: I need a 3x3x4 area for each item type, plus a 1x3x4 buffer between them. With a couple hundred items in MineCraft, it'll be very unwieldy. I'm not sure I have enough room to set it up. Alternatively, I can just find a large open area no one's using (perhaps underwater?) and use that, and just set up a little teleporter between the market and the system.

I've learned enough to migrate this from an XP-based system to a more real economy, using the scoreboard. I've sort-of known now to do this for a while, but haven't had the time or inclination to set it up prior. However, if the Market's getting gutted and rehabbed anyway, I might as well make the transition now.

I've put the server back up, but it's currently white-listed to mods-only, to give time to straighten several things up before I open it back up to the public.

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Jan 2014, 21:25

AdmiralMemo wrote:I've put the server back up, but it's currently white-listed to mods-only And Lord Hosk because he is awesome and I like the cut of his jib, to give time to straighten several things up before I open it back up to the public.

FTFY!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Jan 2014, 01:26

Is the server intact?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Jan 2014, 04:28

Hosk: If you keep doing that crap, the server banlist will go from 0 to 1 quickly.

Merry: Yep. I actually just finished the over-land connection between the main rail lines and Parker's place. It takes 5 minutes 20 seconds to get from one to the other.

However, the server's not letting me log in, probably due to the MineCraft migration that's happening now.

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Jan 2014, 05:00

I mean, is the server's map/people's creations "safe"?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Jan 2014, 05:51

"Safe" as in what? As in, still intact? Yeah. Not only that, but I recently backed it up, just in case. Once I coordinate with a few people, I'll have some automated reboots/backups to help me out.

FITorion
First Video: One of the Check Points about a year ago

Postby FITorion » 20 Jan 2014, 12:45

Just checking in.

I started on the server a last week after not having played Minecraft for probably a year or more. Then I couple days later... server down. I hope everything's alright.

I didn't even know LRR had forums let alone that this thread existed until I was told about it while on the server. I watched Check Point on Penny Arcade and since they are no longer um... working together... I sought out where it was going. I heard about the Minecraft from Graham's House of Stark stream where he was on someone else's Minecraft server.

So... in short. Hello.
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 20 Jan 2014, 13:37

Hello and welcome! Glad you found your way here.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Jan 2014, 15:10

Hey, Fit. Yeah, once we get the issues nailed down, it'll come back up. :)

King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 20 Jan 2014, 16:56

You have me on Steam, so if you need my help whenever I'm on, hit me up.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
The Noob Lord
First Video: no idea

Postby The Noob Lord » 20 Jan 2014, 17:48

Lemme in!!! *face smushed against the window...of the server*
FITorion
First Video: One of the Check Points about a year ago

Postby FITorion » 20 Jan 2014, 17:55

darn. I thought maybe with the server up for mods then the map link in the top post of the thread would work.

Has that been down for a while? is there another link I should use?
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 20 Jan 2014, 17:58

It'll just be down for a little while, FIT. Once Memo opens it up to regular shmoes like you and I, the link you used before (assuming it's mc.lrrcraft.com) will work like it always has. Just give Memo and the mods a little time to stamp out the bugs, yeah?
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Jan 2014, 18:15

Yeah. I'm currently waiting on replies from some people before I can move forward.

Suffix

Postby Suffix » 20 Jan 2014, 22:28

It's James, isn't it?
You're waiting on James.

(I was re-watching the LRRMtG stream)
Watching since DB1!

Return to “Video Games”