So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Re: So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

Postby tamaness » 13 Jan 2014, 20:24

What sucks is that Aberration gets strictly worse in the mill mirror match strictly because of Spectacle.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 13 Jan 2014, 21:20

That's why you sideboard 1 or 2 psychic spirals for mirror matches. That Dark Betrayal and gainsay lock it down.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Jan 2014, 16:15

-
Last edited by Kapol on 16 Aug 2016, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 14 Jan 2014, 21:38

In a sealed event, my opponent sent me an Akroan Horse and naturally my reaction is to just accept it apathetically since I was sure I was going to find a way to deal with it all later.

Turns later, he drops an Abhorrent Overlord. At that exact moment, my head went "Ohhhhh... crap..." and learned how to make Akroan Horse useful. And then I lost the match.
Nyunda
First Video: Crapshots The Mindsculptor

Postby Nyunda » 15 Jan 2014, 13:46

So a friend of mine made a casual deck he calls his "Russian Roulette Deck"
and was playing it in a multiplayer game with some other friends. One of which was playing a mid-range Naya deck and gaining 100s of life and tokens every turn (Though was unable to swing with them due to a few of my cards). He was one turn away from winning when my other friends Russian Roulette combo went off.
He had suspended (with jhoira) a worldfire which came into play, then followed by 4 goblin test pilots. Each one then using it's ability to deal 2 damage randomly to either one of the players or the test pilots themselves and through sheer luck they all hit his opponents.
I always find it funny when gimmicky decks beat out strong decks just before they win.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 15 Jan 2014, 17:53

I was playing a commander game with some friends earlier today. I was using Viktory Draws Myr, one was using the Mind Seize deck, and the last deck as a Gruul I built with Ruuic Thar. I got my xenograft/coat of arms combo off and dropped a mana myr and a perilous myr. Each came in about 9/9 or 10/10. However, I didn't realize how Mountain giant worked so he got a creature that was around 40/40. This managed to backfire spectacularly as the grixis deck pulled a card that blew up a creature and dealt damage to player equal to power AND toughness combined. Bloody brilliant.
cuddlyblade
First Video: reduce your footprint

Postby cuddlyblade » 15 Jan 2014, 22:45

The very reason I run Phthisis in all of my black containing commander decks.

I was playing a casual game commander today, played out Nekusar the mindraser the decks commander and equipped him with the Grafted Exoskeleton then passed the turn. Then at the end of the next guys turn the guy after him sphinx's revelation'd for 10 at then end of his turn and was gloating about how great having all those cards and extra life would be right up until I pointed out that his draws had triggered Nekusar with the exoskeleton and given him 10 poison counters that meant he lost the game on his turn. We all had a good laugh about it.
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Jan 2014, 09:57

Unless he had pre-existing poison counters, he didn't lose. It's 20 to lose in Commander.

Phosphatide wrote:In a sealed event, my opponent sent me an Akroan Horse and naturally my reaction is to just accept it apathetically since I was sure I was going to find a way to deal with it all later.

Turns later, he drops an Abhorrent Overlord. At that exact moment, my head went "Ohhhhh... crap..." and learned how to make Akroan Horse useful. And then I lost the match.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. How did Abhorrent Overlord make the Horse useful?
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 16 Jan 2014, 10:10

Kapol wrote:Unless he had pre-existing poison counters, he didn't lose. It's 20 to lose in Commander.

It's my understanding that it is still only 10, but many groups house-rule it to be 15 or 20 (mine included).
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Jan 2014, 10:24

Huh... it looks like you're right. I could have sworn I've seen something (something official mind you) that said it's 20... I think it might have been the Commander Insert. I'm going to check.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Jan 2014, 13:26

Kapol wrote:
Phosphatide wrote:In a sealed event, my opponent sent me an Akroan Horse and naturally my reaction is to just accept it apathetically since I was sure I was going to find a way to deal with it all later.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. How did Abhorrent Overlord make the Horse useful?
Reverse it. The Horse made the Overlord useful, since he's got a permanently-respawning sac outlet for the Overlord's sac requirement. The player never has to sac any of the harpies or the Overlord itself, since he gets a soldier every turn from the horse. And because the Overlord and harpies fly, the horse can't block them.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Jan 2014, 13:57

Ahhh, I see. Yea, I hadn't thought about it that way. Still, I'd rather have something like Assemble the Legion, but that's in different colors.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 16 Jan 2014, 14:16

In a Theros sealed pool, though?

Akroan Horse has a certain value in limited because it just makes more guys than your opponent probably can. I've had a similar experience with someone playing it alongside Elspeth. Gummed up the board with so many tokens I couldn't break through.
slashx24
First Video: Shit Magic Players Say

Postby slashx24 » 17 Jan 2014, 01:25

So today, whilst playing around on mtgo with a new stupid fun reanimator deck for standard, I managed to cause 6 completely different opponents to rage quit in the space of about an hour and a half.

None of them seemed to realise that I didn't care if my little creatures were 1-for-1'd because I was bringing them all back onto the field anwyay. Also, most control players seem to think that once they've wiped the board that they have escaped my wrath (lol pun) but fail to realise that they've completely tapped themselves out on my most important turn. Or they wait a turn and then tap out for a Jace or Elspeth anyway.

That, and a turn 2 Pack Rat discarding creatures that I intend to bring back tends to just be the absolute nuts. If they can't deal with the Rat I don't even have to reanimate (not that I have to in order to win most of the time, but it's a great back up - and hilarious "oh shit" moment for the opponent).
Level 1 Judge
Brewer of random shit
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 17 Jan 2014, 07:14

I've run out T1 Typhoid Rats, T2 Pack Rats, T3 Pack Rats token and had people ragequit on me. That deck wasn't even all that competitive.
Haza Vair
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean

Postby Haza Vair » 20 Jan 2014, 16:06

I once played a game between my Proc-Martyr deck and a friend's Blood Artist + Eternal Servitude deck, filled with stuff like Bloodghasts, Reassembling Skeletons and even a couple of Dark Confidants (which never ever hit anything but lands, by the way). I almost lost to repeated Blood Artist triggers until I managed to catch one with a Path to Exile and got my Emeria active with Sun Titan at the ready. I think we ended up playing for over an hour before he stopped drawing enough gas to keep up with my four active Serra Ascendants.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 21 Jan 2014, 02:32

Knowledge Exploitation for Storm Herd while I have Into the Web of War Out, I'll take 32 hasty 3/1 fliers thanks :)
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
CryssCross
First Video: Friday Nights - Untap

Postby CryssCross » 24 Jan 2014, 18:10

One night a group of us (8 players in total) were playing a Free For All multiplayer. No specific rules beyond that as we are a very casual group. The gentleman to my right and I were both unintentionally were playing our artifact decks.
On turn 10 he pulls out a Platinum Angel [Insert Group Moan]. On the field I have a Soul Conduit (which was consider completely non-threatening...). They reduce Platinum guy to below 0 life and he just looks at me and nods. Without having any prior discussion I knew what my duty to this marathon match was. Needless to say 6 players were eliminated by switching their life totals with Platinum guy's after they kept getting him down so low.
Best part? I was number 6 to go out after killing myself.
It's only going to be more awesome than an army of Hamsters riding bareback on Unicorns while playing the bagpipes on their way to Candy Mountain.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Feb 2014, 13:37

A hilarious interaction that just happened on the online prerelease. I was in a Blue/Black mirror match. I had a Perplexing Chimera and a Vaporkin out (along with other stuff). I decided to Bestow a Spiteful Returned onto my Vaporkin. My opponent decides he didn't like that idea, so he casts Voyage's End on my Vaporkin. The Chimera triggers, and I decide to give him my Chimera. So now, I've got his Voyage's End, and I decide to bounce the Chimera back to my own hand, and then scry an Island down to the bottom. When he sees that, he just totally ragequit.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 17 Feb 2014, 15:32

I was playing Dotp 2012 as Kiora in an archenemy game against March to War and a couple of other guys I don't remember. Anyway, I was about to cast a kicked rite of replication, targeting March to War's Soul Warden, meaning that I'd start gaining five life whenever a creature entered the battlefield, and it didn't matter if March to war was gone, since it was a token copy. Clearly they didn't want to be in a competition for highest life, so they exiled their own soul warden with Path to Exile.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 23 Feb 2014, 16:49

Played at a Pop-a-Lot event yesterday. After a match wherein he lost 2-1, a friend of mine put on the match slip that he had won 1 game, signed it, and handed it to his opponent to finish filling out. His opponent signed it and handed it in without writing down that he'd won 2 games. I guess he assumed that my friend had filled out the whole form, but why wouldn't you check? :/
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 04 Mar 2014, 05:56

Just did a BTT draft online. Had one of the weirder matches ever.

I was playing GR centered around big creatures and playing against a GW deck that was, actually, not that great.

Game 1 started with him blasting out of the gates, with lots of combat tricks and fast efficient creatures. After a few turns I managed to stabilize with Ember Swallower with Savage Surge backup. My opponent kept on playing creatures, while I drew lands... and more lands... and more lands...
Eventually I had 20 cards left in my deck, 3 of which were lands...
Since my opponent wasn't really doing anything either, from that moment I started getting ahead, topping out on playing and activating Nemesis of Mortals in the same turn.

So, after that weird game, it was on to game 2.
My opponent got out that 0/3 mana wall and then a turn 3 Polukranos...

whoops...

I had a Swordwise Centaur, enchanted with Dragon Mantle. Not bad, but not great either.
My opponent attacked, and I didn't block, naturally.

Then, next turn I attacked and my opponent played Savage Surge, blocking my 3/2 with a 7/7 Polukranos. Still having 3 mana left to Monstrify.

So... there I was, 3/2 creature on the board, Savage Surge in hand myself...
Calculation taught me that I could make my Centaur a 7-power creature (+2 from, Savage Surge and +2 from Dragon Mantle) while my opponent could make his guy 8/8... So what to do...
Then I realized... Polukranos is dealt damage as part of his monstrous ability!
So I went for it, opponent activated monstrous, lost his bomb and scooped instantly.

Weird match....

Second round I sadly got beaten by the UW deck that I knew was floating around somewhere. All the bestow cards and a lot of fliers... not something my deck was equipped to handle.

Also: I JUST BEAT TURN 3 POLUKRANOS!!!

Just wanted to share that gem of a match with you guys.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 15 Mar 2014, 00:11

I just did a FFA game of commander with my friends. I was playing my Melek deck so it was full of shenanigans but the best part was the last turn.

There was only 4 people left out of a starting 8 and it was my turn. I played walk the aeons from the top and copied it with Melek. I then proceed to flash it back with snapcaster, ultimate ral zarek, and draw time warp. I proceed to get a total of 16! extra turns with shenanigans from meletis charlatan, archaeomancer and bounce. I could have gotten more with ral zarek ticking up and a harvest pyre to nearly guaranty getting back time warp with charm breaker devils but by then everyone gave up.
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 17 Mar 2014, 16:58

I finally got some time with my Bosh Commander - It went 1 and 5, but I was okay with it even winning one, just to prove it could work - but the last game I played. WOW, it was crazy. A guy was running a Norin Commander deck, full of muffed-up enchantments like Pandemonium, Pyrohemia, and Vigilante Justice. I couldn't keep creatures on the board, and it got worse when he dropped a Chandra I couldn't deal with.

Of course, he did have one issue: I was able to drop Contagion Clasp and take out Norin. This took out Pyrohemia, as well. For some reason, he decided to play Grip of Chaos, which made Norin a liability to bring in, and Chandra to be very unreliable for him. So, I was able to regain board control, but unable to do anything with Grip in play. For shiggles, I did a few pokes with the Staff of Nin and Icy Manipulator, while he dropped Pixys of Pandemonium and broke it at 7. I ended up dropping Myr Battlesphere and Precursor Golem. With over 50 legal targets for Icy, over 20 for the Staff, and him dropping Confusion in the Ranks, I just couldn't take it. There was too much chaos for me to keep track of, so we just drawed.
Credit to Foxmar
asteriskreaper
First Video: friday night - untap

Postby asteriskreaper » 19 Mar 2014, 05:55

Ok its me as Kresh, a Jevala, a pheldagriff(not mine) and Deveri. my deck is designed so generals don't live long( generals usually equal bad time) so i've kills all genrals maybe two or three times, the pheldagriff player has a Otherworld Atlas on the field and a Hive Mind, then her play Enter the Infinite so we all draw our decks minus one and progresses to tie the game by everyone drawing their deck...now i have a patch for it (Ulamog + Insidious Dreams)
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." -the Laughing Man
"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey... you should see me in a crown... "-James Moriarty(Sherlock)

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”