BNG Prerelease

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.

Prerelease color option?

White
14%
Blue
21%
Black
18%
Red
25%
Green
21%

Total votes: 28
Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

BNG Prerelease

Postby Sky_rider19 » 24 Jan 2014, 14:32

Okay so with the set now fully spoiled, what is everyone leaning towards with their color pack? I'm leaning towards black and red. Black just to continue my path from Theros and Red because that dragon is really cool. And if I can get a gorgon head...VERY deadly.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: BNG Prerelease

Postby Duckay » 24 Jan 2014, 14:41

I got an error message when I tried to use the poll. Not sure why.

I'm leaning white because I don't normally play white, and it looks really good in this set.
Sky_rider19

Postby Sky_rider19 » 24 Jan 2014, 14:42

I'm not sure either, this is the first time trying it so it is possible that I screwed it up...
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 24 Jan 2014, 15:30

I'm not sure what the problem was but it's working fine for me now.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 24 Jan 2014, 15:35

I voted just fine.

Going black because DAT ARCHETYPE. Also, such removal. Very kill. Wow.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Sky_rider19

Postby Sky_rider19 » 24 Jan 2014, 15:51

Prospero101 wrote:I voted just fine.

Going black because DAT ARCHETYPE. Also, such removal. Very kill. Wow.

Yeah, that archtype really is wicked. But the black promo is so eh though...
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 24 Jan 2014, 15:54

I have to say, of all the archetypes, Black is probably my second least favourite (Green being my least favourite). To each their own of course, though.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 24 Jan 2014, 16:41

Sorry, Duckay, but my blood is blue and my heart is black.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 24 Jan 2014, 17:12

Before I go into my rant, I'm going to just say I'm likely going to go green. I'm a green/blue player. I would likely go blue, but I went green for the Theros prelease (cause I'm an idiot), and I kind of feel like I need to stick with it. And now for me to give a lot of my opinion...

Sky_rider19 wrote:Yeah, that archtype really is wicked. But the black promo is so eh though...

The black promo actually seems like one of the better ones to me. The fact it's reusable removal is actually very powerful in limited. You could just sac two of your low-cost guys to get rid of their bomb for three mana. That's strong.

At least this time the promos aren't so heavily weighted in one color's favor. I'm referring to just how nuts the blue promo was compared to the fairly shitty ones the rest of the colors got. Turns out that being able to basically get rid of three creatures your opponent controls while making a 9/9 for yourself was very powerful in the color of counter for removal with little removal to be seen. If I were to rank each promo, it'd be in this order from strongest to weakest (explination included):

Blue
Black
Red
White
Green

These are all really close. I put blue at the top is because it's ability is very powerful. Assuming you're not playing too many instants, non-creature enchantments or sorceries, you can reliably get a free permanent every turn that you can get it to untap. That's a powerful ability. You're also in the color that gives you the Archtype able to just take away the other promos' ability to fly, allowing you to keep swinging in.

I pretty much explained why I think black is so powerful before this. A 6/4 for 7 isn't great. But being able to regen it for a single mana and sacing another creature, or using it for removal for 3 mana and two creatures, is very powerful. This is the color with Gary and a lot of fairly low-cost black creatures, so you're going to get a lot of fodder for it. I think it's poised to be very powerful, maybe even the most powerful.

Red... this serves as a good end game. It allows you to remove something with 3+ toughness every turn, or clear blockers so you can attack. It's a strong card for limited. The fact it can't just straight-up kill a creature like black can, and it has to attack to use it's ability, makes me hesitant to say it's the strongest though.

White honestly might be the strongest card of them all. It's higher toughness makes it hard to deal with. The fact it can reanimate any of your dead enchantment creature every time it attacks is very powerful, as is the fact it can bring back enchantments that have been destroyed. It mostly depends on how good your enchantment-creatures are more than anything in my opinion, but it can be a strong card. The fact it doesn't have built-in removal or cheating cards from your deck into play kind of holds it back for me though.

Green is the only one without evasion. It's the strongest P/T combination. It has the potential to be a 12/12, which is big. It can also be removal for another creature (unless your opponent happens to have a trick, of which there are many...). But that's entirely up to your opponent, and they can easily choose whichever option is best. I foresee a lot of situations where your opponent lets you fight, you fight their best creature, and your opponent does a combat trick in response to kill your 6/6. A 6/6 for 6 isn't even that good for green. Hell, as a 12/12, it's not even that great. It doesn't have trample or evasion, or anything to protect it from removal. So it'll either be chump-blocked or killed pretty easily. It can be a wall, but every other color has a promo that just flies over it. Frankly, I think it's the weakest of the five by far for limited. I really hope green gets something good for Journey Into Nyx, cause we've been getting screwed over in terms of these promos in my opinion.

As for the Archtypes, I agree with Duckay. I think the black one is pretty bad. He's easy to get rid of, with a weak body, for 6 mana. It makes everything trades at worst, which is good. But the fact he's so much mana makes him hard to get out, and his ability means he won't stick around long.

Personally, my list of archtypes, from best to worst, goes like this (also go into why):
White
Red
Blue
Black
Green

White is just nuts. First Strike is powerful. being able to give it to all your creatures for three mana is really good. And it's all on a body that I'd be happy with anyways (a 2/2 FS for three is good in limited) adds up to a powerful archtype.

Trample for red helps make sure that you can get through. It's on a 3/2 trample body for 3 already, which is solid. But it makes it so red aggro can use chump blockers if the game goes long, which is strong.

Evasion is important. Taking away evasion is better. Being able to make it so only reach creatures can stop your creatures is really powerful in limited. It'll be strong there, but I doubt it's going to be constructed playable, unlike the red and white ones.

Deathtouch is powerful, but damage has to be done for it to be worthwhile. You get this and the white Archtype out, you're pretty much going to win. But such a frail body for so much mana makes her easy to deal with. If you can get some kind of pinging effect, like maybe luck into a Poluknaros, then it'll be very powerful. Otherwise I don't see it being as game-changing as those above it.

Green is the worst. It stops removal and makes it so you can use removal on your opponents creatures (though green doesn't have much/any removal alone). But 8 mana is a lot of mana in limited unless you get some decent ramp (which there's a good amount of in this set, admittedly). 8 mana for a 5/5 body is way too much without anything added on. And hexproof just isn't good enough. There's not enough removal in the set to make it worth the giant cost in limited. And it's too slow for constructed other than as a 1-2 of in mono-green devotion. Even then, there are better options. Especially since the biggest problem for those decks is board wipe.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 24 Jan 2014, 17:45

I agree pretty much entirely with your summation there. The problem with the black one in my opinion is that while giving everything death touch is very powerful, his weak body means he isn't really an efficient blocker because he can be very easily removed or traded.

It could be that in practice the speed of the format might work in its favour, but I wouldn't want to count on that personally. I think he might be best in sealed as opposed to draft, though, so I cannot discount black entirely at prerelease. Especially when black does have some other really powerful cards. I still think White is better positioned, however.
CryssCross
First Video: Friday Nights - Untap

Postby CryssCross » 24 Jan 2014, 18:00

Albeit I am aiming for Black myself, Blue seems like it could become pretty shady. I would definitely say Blue is on my radar as a real hurdle to my plans of Black selfish goodness. And that Archetype of flying nonsense? Public enemy.
It's only going to be more awesome than an army of Hamsters riding bareback on Unicorns while playing the bagpipes on their way to Candy Mountain.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 24 Jan 2014, 18:20

Ended up going through and making a list of all the commons/uncommons I find playable (at least happily, not as a 23rd card) for limited. I personally value uncommons more highly just because they're normally more powerful. But the commons are your bread and butter. So the more commons, the better off you are I think.

White (9 uncommon, 7 common):

Acolyte's Reward -uncommon
Akroan Phalanx -uncommon
akroan Skyguard -common
Archetype of Courage -uncommon
Ephara's Radiance -common
Ghostblade Eidolon -uncommon
Glimpse the Sun God -uncommon
Hold At Bay -common
Loyal Pegasus -common
Mortal's Ardor -common
Nyxborn Shieldmate -common
Oreskos Sun Guide -common
Ornitharch -uncommon
Revoke Existence -uncommon
Sunbound -uncommon
Vanguard of Brimaz -uncommon

Blue (7 uncommon, 9 common):

Aerie Worshippers -uncommon
Archetype of Imagination -uncommon
Chorus of the Tides -common (just as a 3/2 flying for 4)
Crypsis -common
Divination -common
Flitterstep Eidolon -uncommon
Kraken of the Straits -uncommon
Nullify -common
Nyxborn Triton -common
Oracle's Insight -uncommon
Siren of the Fanged Coast -uncommon
Sphinx's Disciple(?) -common
Stratus Walk -Common
Sudden Storm -common
Vortex Elemental -Uncommon

Black (6 uncommon, 7 common):

Archetype of Finality -uncommon
Asphyxiate -common
Bile Blight -uncommon
Claim of Erebos -common
Drown In Sorrow -uncommon
Felhide Brawler -common
Forlorn Pseudamma -uncommon
Grisly Transformation -common
Marshmist Titan -common
Necrobite -common
shrike Harpy -uncommon
Spiteful Returned -uncommon
Weight of the Underworld -common

Red (6 uncommon, 8 common):

Akroan Conscriptor -uncommon
Archtype of Aggression -uncommon
Bolt of Keranos -common
Epiphany Storm -common
Everflame Eidolon -uncommon
Fall Of The Hammer -common
Impetuous Sunchaser -common
Kragma Butcher -common
Nyxborn Rollicker -Common
Pharagax Giant -Common
Rise To The Challenge -Common
Scouring Sands -Common (sideboard tech, so not counting, but could be useful)
Searing Blood -uncommon
Stormcaller of Keranos (if in blue, so not counting for total) -uncommon
Thunder Brute -uncommon
Thunderous Might -uncommon

Green (7 common, 7uncommon):

Aspect of Hydra -common
Karametra's Favor -common
Mischief and Mayhem -uncommon
Mortal's Resolve -common
Nessian Demolok -uncommon
Noble Quarry -uncommon
Peregrination -uncommon
Pheres-Band Raiders -uncommon
Pheres-Band Tromper -common (this seems VERY good at common to me)
"You Came To The Wrong Neighborhood" -uncommon (otherwise known as Raised By Wolves)
Satyr Wayfinder -common (not sure what to make of him. Could be good, could be bad. not going to count, but worth keeping an eye on)
Setessan Oathsworn -common
Setessan Starbreaker -common (sideboard tech mostly. MIGHT be mainboardable, not counting)
Snake of the Golden Grove -common
Swordwise Centaur -common
Unravel the Aether -uncommon

Multicolored:

Ephara's Enlightenment -uncommon (W/U)
Fanatic of Xenagos -uncommon (G/R)
Kiora's Follower -uncommon (G/U)
Ragemonger -uncommon (depends on Minotaurs you get, B/R)
Reap What is Sown -uncommon (G/W)
Siren of the Silent Song -uncommon (U/B)

Artifacts:

Gorgon's Head -uncommon
Pillar of War -uncommon (can be useful if you're running a decent number of enchantments/enchantment creatures, and fits in any deck)
Springleaf Drum -uncommon (this is the big one for any color. It allows you to inspire without attacking, allowing any color to ramp, and allowing fixing at the same time. All for one mana. It's going to be a major player in limited, and even in standard I bet).

So tallying them up, I think White is the best power position. But you need to get pretty lucky. Blue has the most commons, and a good number of uncommons. Black was the lowest single color, but has a good amount of removal. That's good and bad however, since it means there's not a ton of great creatures. Red was solid, with the second-most commons and a good amount of power. But I was most surprised by green. They had a pretty even ratio of good commons to uncommons. But some of the commons look pretty powerful. I'm specifically looking at the 3/3 for four that gets bigger for good every time he untaps, and the two-drop +1/+1 + indestructible spell. Not to mention Aspect of Hydra, which seems very powerful in the right deck, and the 2-drop instant that puts a enchantment or artifact. Not sure if it or Revoke Existence will be the premiere enchantment removal. Every multicolored card was really strong to me. The artifacts were meh, but Springleaf Drum is going to be the difference between winning and losing for a lot of games.

Of course, half the packs are going to be Theros too, so keep that in mind. With that considered, I think that all the colors are going to be even from a common/uncommon standpoint. The decks that manage to get mono-black are going to be strong, but it's not a great color to mix with others. Blue seems like it'll still be the most powerful color that can be mixed with others, going best with the also powerful green once again. White is going to be a good mix color, offering a lot and maybe being good enough to go mono if you get some good pulls. Green can be a solid mono-color or a great mix color. Red seems the weakest, but not by a lot. It seems like it'll stand best with black, but should be mixed with any other color for a good effect. It adds quite a bit to the table.

And, of course, all of this will depend on your pulls as well. Personally, I might switch to blue at this point, but I think green is a fine choice. They all seem to be pretty solid with this release, instead of just blue ruling the board.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 24 Jan 2014, 18:25

I had some thoughts about going blue but I think after my Theros pre-release went so well I'm just going to stick to green. Good old green. Never abandon green.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Jan 2014, 20:27

Probably Red, but if not, then Green.

Black and Red seem like Glass Cannons, while Green and Blue seem more stable, and White just seems meh.

I really want the Satyr Firedancer, though.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Duckay

Postby Duckay » 24 Jan 2014, 21:17

I've written up a sample standard deck with satyr firedancer, but I don't know if it will actually be good. Keen to get my hands on a couple and try it out, though; I guess I'll see how it goes.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 24 Jan 2014, 22:08

I want to go blue or green if only because I like those two promos the most out of the five, so having a promo copy to use for whatever Commander decks they go in would be cool. My real dream is to pull a Perplexing Chimera at the prerelease and go nuts, so that wouldn't really matter what color I pick. At least blue and green look very stable as choices so I would still be pretty happy with playing those colors.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 24 Jan 2014, 22:41

On the plus side, getting a cheap copy of the promo you don't play shouldn't be too hard. Most of the promos seem to only go for a buck.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 24 Jan 2014, 23:56

Going green, because Green. Is. My. Jam.
I just wanna make big things and turn them sideways.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 25 Jan 2014, 02:25

I went green because it seems like the best thing for sealed in my LGS's meta.
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 25 Jan 2014, 07:58

I was thinking green, and then I realized the second that the opponent knows you're green main they'll be holding the removal or a deathtouch for the promo. Decided that red and blue have the strongest stuff promo and born ltd wise, so those will be what I play.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 25 Jan 2014, 11:23

Going red because I am a sucker for dragons. I went green for Theros, and I run a Gruul standard deck, so I want to keep the balance. I'll probably buy a green box from my LGS's leftovers anyway though (another LGS is running a raffle for FTV:20 at their prereleases so I suspect they'll steal away a lot of people who would otherwise attend my store's).
brb, assaulting children.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 25 Jan 2014, 19:37

Green. I want that promo for...other purposes.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
slashx24
First Video: Shit Magic Players Say

Postby slashx24 » 26 Jan 2014, 18:11

I'm going white. Went black at Theros, and as much as I love blue, nothing makes me happier than the style of play that BW allows for. Plus white just looks fucking amazing in this set.
Level 1 Judge
Brewer of random shit

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”