Pokémon X and Y

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: Pokémon X and Y

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Nov 2013, 05:42

Vigafre wrote:There was a reason I hadn't posted my FC here yet but I can't seem to recall what it was. Ah well.

FC: 4055-3883-7257

Also, does anyone have advice for EV training a Vulpix, Absol, or Mareep? I'm not really into the competitive scene, but a friend wants to try out the multi battles.

www.smogon.com is a good way of putting your feet into the waters of serious Pokemon team building.

Under the Learn! heading click the Strategy Pokedex. Find your Pokemon of choice.
Under the 'base stats' of the Pokemon, click the tab (if there is one) to change the page to a higher tier (e.g. Never Used -> Rarely Used for Basculin).

Then look at what set up appeals to you.
Team Options & Additional Information is useful for finding out which Pokemon would support your primary Pokemon the best.

-However this only has data for Black/White 2. So doesn't have any new Pokemon, ignores stat changes of old Pokemon, ignores megaevolutions, ignores any new moves, and also uses the Move Tutor in Black/White 1/2 which then taught obscure moves to Pokemon (can't anymore. Aggron used to be able to use Rockhead, but not anymore).

However, if I want to find out if it's worth using a Megalite stone, I use www.serebii.net's X&Y Pokedex to compare stat differences and if the ability changes between the forms.

e.g. It's worth considering giving Aggron Aggronite over Leftover's because MegaAggron's ability reduces any super-effective moves to 25% of the original damage (making him a very hard Pokemon to faint whilst he has horrifying damage power). Because otherwise you're using Pokemon abilities which lets Aggron take no recoil damage (Aggron doesn't really need Double Edge) or endures being fainted on 1 hp (Megaggron's Ability is a more consistent effect)
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 17 Nov 2013, 08:31

@Merrymaker: Oh wow, this is complex. I like their recommendations, though, so I'll see if I can make anything work. Thanks.

@Lurkon: Well, your safari did have some stuff I didn't have (while mine, not so much), so I'd call that fair. I just really like Hawlucha.

Oh, also, if anybody has a Shuckle they're willing to trade, let me know.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Nov 2013, 12:06

I didn't realise it was complex :P

Guess I'm used to MMO class guides :>

Pretty much obey what they say. Understand eventually why and use that knowledge to make your own decisions. PvP is very boring if everyone does the same thing. I guess with over 700 Pokemon, there will always be variety (except for that rubbish Luvdisc of crab)/

The worst bit is breeding a Pokemon with the perfect nature.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 17 Nov 2013, 13:22

Yeah, I don't mess with MMOs, so this is still pretty foreign to me. I mostly considered it complex because there are things I really can't do right now, like teaching my Absol Superpower.

Also, yeah, this nature and IV stuff isn't the most fun thing. I've pretty much ignored IVs because that's too tedious for me to deal with.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Nov 2013, 13:41

I personally cannot be arsed with egg moves. It's enough of a ballache getting the right nature (and ability with regards to Roselia).

I stick to TMs/Level up moves/Remembrance.

Super Training makes EVs user friendly.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 17 Nov 2013, 14:34

Yeah, egg moves can be a pain. I wanted to get a Rhyhorn with Ice Fang, but the only Pokemon I had with that move was Gyrados. The first matching egg group to Gyrados and Rhyhorn I found was Wailmer, so I spent about 30 minutes trying to get and hatch an egg. Turns out Wailmer can't learn Ice Fang, so that was all for naught. Had to have my Floatzel remember Ice Fang so I could use it instead.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Nov 2013, 15:08

Currently using Friend Safari to power level EVs since I am bored of the minigame.

Frosch for SPAt.
Gareth for Speed.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Nov 2013, 05:16

Anyone investing in online play?

Tactic-wise it's a lot more interesting than playing the storymode's rock-paper-scissors/over level gameplay.

I'm enjoying my Carbink Psych Up/Calm Mind/Moonblast with Victreebel's Stockpile Dual setup.

It's actually not that hard to get invested. And also, because you spend a lot of time working on the digial Pokemon, you get "more attached".
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 16 Dec 2013, 11:57

Hey guys. I'm working on getting a female Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam from a country that is not the US. Is anyone playing in another country and willing to trade? I have a Kadabra I can trade if you just want to get an Alakazam for your Pokedex, or we can see about working something else out. I'm trying to employ the Masuda Method and breed a shiny Abra.

Max IVs or different language are a bonus, but the different country is necessary. I suppose it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be female, but I'd prefer it.

Thanks in advance.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Dec 2013, 12:41

If you're going for Masuda Method, it has to be a different language game, not just another country I believe.
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 16 Dec 2013, 12:44

Kapol wrote:If you're going for Masuda Method, it has to be a different language game, not just another country I believe.

Now, Bulbapedia HAS lied to me before, but...

Bulbapedia wrote:The Masuda method involves breeding two Pokémon created in games of different countries. An Egg resulting from such a pairing will have a higher likelihood of being Shiny. The most common way to arrange such a pairing is to use one foreign Pokémon and one from the game in which the breeding occurs, although the method will work in any game provided at least one of the Pokémon in the pair is from a country different to the country of the game cartridge.

It goes on to talk about region ids, so I think I trust it.
Do a Pivot Table!

Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 16 Dec 2013, 15:07

For people who are interested in getting into competitive, I would suggest checking out https://www.youtube.com/user/PIMPNITE He does tutorials as well as competitve battle that he talks about. He gives a lot of insight on how to battle, what to use, all that fun stuff.

I went from never doing competitive battleing before in my life, to full on balls to the walls IV/EV/Eggmoves/Nature/Ability training this gen. Friend Safari/Super Training makes it supes easy. It's just tedious.

On a side note, if there is a ghost pokemon you want with good IVs/nature/ability, I probably have it. It won't be five perfect ivs, but I can get you four.
Image Image Image
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 Dec 2013, 16:07

I've gotten into Competitive. I've been using Smogon and Varsilify to understand wtf I am doing.

I am ripping people apart with my Trick Room Halish Team.

https://merrymakermortalis.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/pokemon-trick-room-hailish-team-v1/
Mind you, this team is personal. It's definately not been designed for efficiency only. There's been a compromise between wants and needs. Does have a 90% success rate though.

-
I do hate Pokemon who rely on Hidden Abilities or Pokemon that evolve through trade. Because it's literally very hard to acquire a Pokemon with perfect Nature and Ability.
I have a very good Crawdaunt. But if I had a Crawdaunt that had its Hidden Ability, its STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) would be x2 instead of x1.5. I'm doing 25% less damage than Crawdaunt is balanced around.

(Currently breeding Emopandas and Emoskunks)
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 16 Dec 2013, 16:20

I guess I'll try the GTS again. Trying to breed this shiny Abra as a Christmas gift for a friend. ;)

ETA: SUCCESS! Someone finally put up a trade I could actually do.
Do a Pivot Table!

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Dec 2013, 08:00

I did breeding for Carbink and I used a German Carbink so I may get a shiney one in the process.
Didn't get a shiny after 55 hatches. :<

I wish I could get invested in Shinies, but I find good natures and IVs a lot more appealing.

That said, I'm looking forwards to getting my Shiny Camerupt and Steelix with Pokebank.
-

I'm designing a Sandstorm team. I have:

Klefki (support)
Flygon (unconventional Dragon/Ground physical)
Tyranitar (cos he's awesome)
Metagross (to deal with enemy Fighting types)
Lucario
Barnacle (to deal with enemy Ground types)

But I don't know who to make my Mega-Evolution, Lucario or Tyrannitar.

Lucario seems the obvious choice due to benefits... but the enemy I just defeated had a Aandstormy team with Megalucario... I have to swallow my pride and do the same this as this other person, based off independant judgement.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 25 Dec 2013, 19:15

Does anybody here have a Shuckle with Contrary? I don't know if I have anything worth trading right now, but I'm sure we could make something work.
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 26 Dec 2013, 17:14

Well, 901 eggs later, I now have a shiny Abra.
Do a Pivot Table!

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 Dec 2013, 17:36

That is a lot of fucking.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Dec 2013, 04:01

Debating whether to wait for the EU release of Pokebank before I start breeding my Sandstorm Trickroom team or to do as much as I can now.

It's pointless doing random Wi-Fi battles at the moment because the Koreans and Japanese have had access to the previous gen gme migration. Therefore teams of 6 OP Legendaries.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Feb 2014, 04:10

POKEBANK IS RELEASED IN EUROPE
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 06 Feb 2014, 12:36

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:POKEBANK IS RELEASED IN EUROPE
IT'S OUT IN THE US NOW TOO
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Feb 2014, 12:53

KiteNeravar wrote:

YAY LEGENDARIES FLOODING THE WI-FI BATTLE SCENE.
KiteNeravar

Postby KiteNeravar » 06 Feb 2014, 12:55

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:
KiteNeravar wrote:

YAY LEGENDARIES FLOODING THE WI-FI BATTLE SCENE.
I KNOW RIGHT?

Also do you know if I restart my Y, if I will still be able to get all my pokemon back from the bank?
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Feb 2014, 13:47

I won't give you an answer, just in case I give wrong information.
KiteNeravar

Postby KiteNeravar » 06 Feb 2014, 15:04

Yeah, that's a good call. I'll just cave and buy a copy of X

Return to “Video Games”