LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Deimir
First Video: Escapist News Network: A Few Good Gamers

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Deimir » 10 Feb 2014, 16:44

AdmiralMemo wrote:I hope this alleviates most questions and concerns, and I'll try to get the server up and running again tonight. Let me know if you want something clarified, or you want to comment on something I said.

The is the part that simultaneously puzzles and worries me. The server didn't crash. We're not trying to repair anything, unless your method of turning it off was to literally smash something. "Getting the server back up" is, as far as I'm aware, just you turning it back on.

As for the worry part, if a 48-hour (so far) outage is the result of a handful of people making honest mistakes, many of them in the spirit of assisting the person who controls our access to this community world, I can't imagine the sort of intentional griefers that are going to be drawn here, knowing what sort of reaction they could spark with the smallest of effort. (holy run-on sentence Batman!)

I appreciate everything that's been done for us here, but I don't know where the server's headed with the recent leap in popularity. I guess nowhere, at the moment.
El_Spectre
First Video: I forget, it was many years ago.

Postby El_Spectre » 10 Feb 2014, 18:22

Thanks for the info, folks.

As I said, I'm a total newbie to all this, so take this with a grain of salt, please:

If we're seriously talking about the server being a PC in someone's home, and that (or the hardware limits of that machine) being a problem... aren't there professional services for this kinda thing?

It seems like a lot of problems could be alleviated for only a buck or two per player, per month. Am I wrong?
FITorion
First Video: One of the Check Points about a year ago

Postby FITorion » 11 Feb 2014, 03:14

Wow. Looks like I missed a party.

If I may offer a bit of an explanation as to why people are trying to be as close to the spawn as they can...

1. It's nice and if we go too far away then it's hard to get back to.
2. The reason I and I think many other people play on a server is so that others can see our creations and we can see theirs. If we go way off into the distance then we may as well just be playing alone.

Heck I've been thinking of asking for a bit of surface only land near spawn to build a skyscraper on... after I've completed my current project anyway. Why? because It wouldn't look as nice off in the wilderness as it would next to other buildings. I'm a long ways off from being ready to start on that project so no need to worry and I would not do it without approval.

I've picked up something of a motto from the internet... Never attribute to malice that which can be ascribed to sheer stupidity.

Do not jump to the conclusion that people are trying to nag or trying to be a jerk or trying to interrupt you. I know it can be hard to have the insight into others motives needed for dealing with people... That's where the motto comes in.
Omega696
First Video: Checpoint

Postby Omega696 » 11 Feb 2014, 05:50

El_Spectre wrote:Thanks for the info, folks.

As I said, I'm a total newbie to all this, so take this with a grain of salt, please:

If we're seriously talking about the server being a PC in someone's home, and that (or the hardware limits of that machine) being a problem... aren't there professional services for this kinda thing?

It seems like a lot of problems could be alleviated for only a buck or two per player, per month. Am I wrong?

The server is actually on a server, Memo rents space and runs it on a server farm from what I gather.
However the problem with the Game Server is that Minecraft is not stable as a Game Server, certainly it seems to develop issues with network latency, the further you are from the physical hardware the more time it takes to do a send and response, and how it deals with connections with high lag, or low latency. When you run it on your PC your running it on your machine the game server literally is your machine, when you run it on a server you have network traffic, ISP connections, lag, physical distance, Local ISP to desktop connection, bandwidth, all sorts of things that compound with software than just doesn't do things.... efficiently might be the best way to put it. Issues seem to snowball into avalanches and they take the server down, or require restarting and rebooting it regularly to clear up the hold over problems. Like a memory leak on an app, you can kill the app but somwtimes the system needs a restart toi clear the held memory.
I tap my Mana and Summon the all powerful Slifer the Sky Dragon!

... What do you mean I can't... Oh right MTG...

Fine, in that case, I tap my Mana... Royal Flush!
El_Spectre
First Video: I forget, it was many years ago.

Postby El_Spectre » 11 Feb 2014, 10:34

Ah, good to know it's running on server class hardware. From what Memo had said, it sounded like said hardware was insufficient, so I was wondering if an alternative might be in order.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 11 Feb 2014, 12:37

The hardware running the server should be more than up to the job. It's minecrafts Server program itself that's being "a bit of a twat".
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Feb 2014, 13:20

Sorry for the delay. I've been trying to render the whole server map to get more of an idea of what's going on, and after a few false starts, it's working now. About 25% has been rendered, currently. I'll read the posts since my last one later tonight, after I get back from roller skating.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Feb 2014, 14:21

And it crashed after rendering ~82K out of ~203K chunks... Trying again. Let's see if it'll pick up where it left off.

FITorion

Postby FITorion » 11 Feb 2014, 18:07

Awesome I've been wanting to see the lay of the land. Thanks Memo.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Feb 2014, 18:33

After 3 failures, I'm giving up on this program and trying another.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Feb 2014, 22:46

I got a program to render, and now that I have a full map, I really see some of the problems, especially the problem of too much exploration. For example, if I have the screen size set on boundaries of Owl's, Hosk's, and muihtils' places, I get a good 90% of the structures on the server. However, the "explored world" is about 11 times larger, especially since someone decided to go sailing to about -10000 for some reason.

I just need to figure out how to install Apache or something on the server to show you. Also, in the render, I'm seeing some pretty massive structures that I knew nothing about. Had I just started chopping and deleting, some awesome stuff might have been gone.

In any case, after I figure out how to display the map, I'm going to go into MCEdit or something and do a massive amount of chunk deletion at some point in the near future. This will have 2 advantages. 1. It'll save server space, so MineCraft won't chug as hard. 2. It'll render the new 1.7 chunks closer to spawn, so a chance for more biomes, like Mesa, or Roofed Forest.

Edit: http://map.lrrcraft.com/ is the map. It's not fully working on all zoom levels yet, as the files are still uploading.

If everyone could give me an idea of where they're located (coords are on the lower left), I'll make sure to not delete your stuff. A lot of stuff is really obvious, but underground stuff is not.

Deimir

Postby Deimir » 12 Feb 2014, 06:38

With how much rail riding and walking I did on day one to get out where I am, I thought I was a lot further out than that. My house (even uglier than it looks ingame, since on the map you can see I never finished the roof) is at 1587, -472.

Since I've also picked up a couple neighbors after moving in, I'll probably be relocating once the cleanup is done. The new real estate I'm looking for is someplace in/near an "Ice Plains Spikes" biome. I haven't decided yet whether I want to actually live in that biome, or just have it nearby for packed ice harvesting.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Feb 2014, 06:39

So as you said Im a mad man, and I wasnt about to start on the plan 1 without trying some stuff out, or two go that far without asking.

my original plan was to go all the way out to X -900 which was as far as I had explored or -1600 now that I look at the map if I get crazy, Once I got the start of the wall to the point I want it to, the wall is going to be at least 100 high, 7 wide, 1000+ long, with 19 forts along the way, three would be "good" forts the rest would be piles of rubble in various states of decay. The place Im at would be a smallish fort with a small harbor with like 4 "boats" maybe 10-12 blocks long by 5 or 6 wide, a bigger fort in the "middle ish" and a tower at the far end.

What do you think? Again this is a LONG term plan not anything short term.

Short term is to get the current length to 100 blocks, 7 wide and build the first fort and a small harbor with "boats"

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Wall

Also this render is amazing, I want to visit everything now.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Feb 2014, 06:47

Whats with that weird thing at X3800 Z1200?

and at the 5000's 5000 5000, 5000 -5000 -5000 -5000 -5000 5000
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Deimir

Postby Deimir » 12 Feb 2014, 07:18

Lord Hosk wrote:Whats with that weird thing at X3800 Z1200?

To hazard a guess, I'd say someone was travelling via the Nether and happened to come out there.
Tuckiozi
First Video: Unskippable/CommodoreHustle

Postby Tuckiozi » 12 Feb 2014, 07:45

I am at approximately X:955 Z:-325, so closer to spawn than I thought I was.
Conoros
First Video: How to speak like a pirate

Postby Conoros » 12 Feb 2014, 07:51

I'm at -764 945, just west of Dew's place.

Looking at the rail links, is there a more direct rail path from Dewknights place to spawn city? (at the moment, the only line I know of goes to Superdudes place)

The map is awesome though :)
Last edited by Conoros on 12 Feb 2014, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Conor / Magellus
BlackDragonMTG
First Video: Friday Nights - Returns

Postby BlackDragonMTG » 12 Feb 2014, 08:04

-540 1100 & -583 1140 area and the immediately surrounding bubble would be mine...wow it feels I'm much further from spanw than the map makes it look
FITorion

Postby FITorion » 12 Feb 2014, 08:27

I'm at x1900 z220. That's my "High Fells" project. But as soon as the server is back up I plan on clearing an areas of the forest toward spawn for a house and experiment for the eventual tower I want to make closer to spawn way down the road. I'm pretty much claiming that whole forest... for now.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 12 Feb 2014, 08:37

You can probably see already but I'm at x=690 z=110. Underground doesn't spread too far past the mountain.
cptsteiny
First Video: CommodoreHUSTLE 01 - Laundry

Postby cptsteiny » 12 Feb 2014, 08:49

I'm at x=1564 z=-340, but I will be abandoning that area in favor of something further north and perhaps west, so that I can be further away from the neighbors I didn't realize I had. ;)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Feb 2014, 09:03

Im not sure exactly how rail ways work but would you be able to set up a high speed rail at like Y 150 blocks?

Have a repeater every 5 blocks, that could zip out North South East West, 1500 or 3000 blocks then build a new rail "hub" there? That could prevent people from clumping up at spawn but still give them access to spawn.

I dont know if thats even possible im just speculating.

[–]Graham_LRR
CommanderKeen
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby CommanderKeen » 12 Feb 2014, 09:16

I'm at X-3, Z 1480 Haven't quite settled on a design yet.
Conoros
First Video: How to speak like a pirate

Postby Conoros » 12 Feb 2014, 09:17

Having something of a 'frontier' station would be a good way to guide new people coming in too. The downside of course being that you would need to build new ones periodically once they're not the frontier anymore, so it might be more trouble than its worth
Conor / Magellus
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 12 Feb 2014, 09:17

Hey! I can see my house from here! Its right behind that floating block :p

X-434 z-324

Return to “Video Games”