LRRcon 2014

News and Announcements about LoadingReadyRun
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Re: LRRcon 2014

Postby Professor STAFF » 17 Feb 2014, 17:44

Very excited at the prospect of maybe being able to actually go.

Question: How exactly will this work in terms of panels and events featuring the LRR crew? Will it be limited seating with a lot of line-waiting, or will there be space enough for everyone attending?

If there's space for everyone attending, will it be like an itinerary where we all go from point A to point B to point C together?

Another Question: What about those of us with babies? Can we tote them along or would that be frowned on?
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 17 Feb 2014, 19:10

Let it be known that I am also interested in splitting a hotel room. Especially if you plan on being there multiple days.
Image Image Image
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 17 Feb 2014, 22:08

I have a double queen room booked for little ol' me and while I wasn't expecting to share, it would save me some money. I've got 5 nights at the LRRcon rate, Thurs arrival to Tues departure.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Feb 2014, 10:52

I certainly hope babies arent a problem, or I cant attend.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Postby Clypheous » 18 Feb 2014, 11:48

Babies are certainly a problem Hosk, especially if, like me, one is likely to be born relatively close to the time of the event, I would not recommend attending. The wife aggro alone would be incredibly dangerous, and as much as I love LRR and would love to be there, (why couldn't this be some other time guys?) I always put family first!
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 18 Feb 2014, 12:48

Well hell. And here I was thinking that I was going to have money this summer.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 18 Feb 2014, 19:03

Chemistring wrote:I have a double queen room booked for little ol' me and while I wasn't expecting to share, it would save me some money. I've got 5 nights at the LRRcon rate, Thurs arrival to Tues departure.
Is that an invitation?
Image Image Image
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 18 Feb 2014, 23:24

Sieg Reyu wrote:
Chemistring wrote:I have a double queen room booked for little ol' me and while I wasn't expecting to share, it would save me some money. I've got 5 nights at the LRRcon rate, Thurs arrival to Tues departure.
Is that an invitation?

I...huh. I thought it would be fun and economical to share a room, but my introvert brain spent the day reminding me how much I need a quiet space to decompress after being with crowds of people. I think I need to withdraw my quasi-offer.

Stupid introvert brain, making me all twitchy about people. Sorry, Sieg Reyu. :? :oops:
CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby CaptainSpam » 19 Feb 2014, 12:43

Chemistring wrote:I...huh. I thought it would be fun and economical to share a room, but my introvert brain spent the day reminding me how much I need a quiet space to decompress after being with crowds of people. I think I need to withdraw my quasi-offer.

Stupid introvert brain, making me all twitchy about people. Sorry, Sieg Reyu. :? :oops:

Reminds me of myself, going on experience of past similar events with other groups...

But, this whole event does seem doable for me. I mean, it can't be any worse than heading out into the desert with a bunch of fans of a browser-based stick figure MMORPG every year, right? (/me pauses to see if Invariel is listening) And, I'm not doing much this May anyway. I'll consider it.

Just to be sure, this IS the Doubletree marked as the SEATAC airport Doubletree, right? Not the downtown one? The former would make transportation considerably easier, come to think of it...
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 19 Feb 2014, 23:46

Yeah. I like people, really I do! But I've lived on my own for so long that I take no-people time for granted because it happens regularly and without effort. You'd think I would remember that bit, yet it surprises me every time.

CaptainSpam, you're correct that it's the Doubletree by SEATAC and not the one downtown. Hope you can make it, it should be fun (my socially awkward penguin-ness aside).
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Feb 2014, 20:30

Lady Hosk would like to suggest a "funny dungeons and dragons game, like what those penny arcade guys do, I have played the game one time, but I think it would be funny to see a funny game"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 21 Feb 2014, 19:24

I'm still not certain if I'm going, but if I am, I would like to split a room. I just need some stuff to shake out first before I know for certain.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
CaptainSpam

Postby CaptainSpam » 21 Feb 2014, 20:32

Chemistring wrote:CaptainSpam, you're correct that it's the Doubletree by SEATAC and not the one downtown. Hope you can make it, it should be fun (my socially awkward penguin-ness aside).

Man, that's odd. Maybe I'm not reading the map right, or maybe I'm just not too familiar with the locations of SEATAC's exit doors... but is the best way to the hotel from the airport seriously to just walk? Weird, that'd be the first time I leave a major international airport strictly on foot...

I'm still working out the timing specifics on my end. Like, if I'm going to leave Seattle on Sunday or Monday or whatnot. And informing other LRR-friendly friends who might be interested.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 21 Feb 2014, 20:56

CaptainSpam wrote:Man, that's odd. Maybe I'm not reading the map right, or maybe I'm just not too familiar with the locations of SEATAC's exit doors... but is the best way to the hotel from the airport seriously to just walk? Weird, that'd be the first time I leave a major international airport strictly on foot...

I know, right? It might be a bit farther than it looks and more than most people would want to do with luggage but apparently the hotel runs a shuttle to/from the airport every 15 minutes. The hotel reviews I read also said that there's multiple buildings in the complex and several people complained about the looooooong walk from the front desk to their lobby elevator.

What I'm saying is, maybe I should double check the map scale?
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 21 Feb 2014, 23:13

Sure would be fun to try and make it up but it doesn't look like it'll happen.
Last edited by Dix on 23 Feb 2014, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 22 Feb 2014, 13:03

I'm def gonna go, and maybe spend a week instead of just the weekend in the area.
CaptainSpam

Postby CaptainSpam » 22 Feb 2014, 13:59

Hey, here's a thought... will the Kickstarter-promised tennis ball cannon video be done by LRRcon? And, if so, will the named tennis balls be brought to LRRcon for any backers who would want to pick them up conveniently?
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 24 Feb 2014, 13:17

Hmm, flying from the UK is... possible. Would definitely need to hotel share or something to make the most of the weekend.

Any other UK fans considering this?
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Feb 2014, 13:37

It doesnt look like the house of hosk will be able to attend but things might change as more information comes out about the event we might push harder to figure stuff out.

[–]Graham_LRR
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 24 Feb 2014, 13:51

SilPho wrote:Hmm, flying from the UK is... possible. Would definitely need to hotel share or something to make the most of the weekend.

I was, but unfortunately my student budget couldn't quite justify spending what would would probably wind up being around £1000 for essentially a long weekend. Maybe if I was going with people and could make a proper trip of it, but... meurgh.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Hepheastus
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Postby Hepheastus » 25 Feb 2014, 06:22

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:
SilPho wrote:Hmm, flying from the UK is... possible. Would definitely need to hotel share or something to make the most of the weekend.

I was, but unfortunately my student budget couldn't quite justify spending what would would probably wind up being around £1000 for essentially a long weekend. Maybe if I was going with people and could make a proper trip of it, but... meurgh.

Yeah what lx said, I'd love to go to a con and see LRR but when they're tht far away its not viable :(
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 03 Mar 2014, 10:27

I really would like to go to this, is there anyone living in the area that wouldn't mind a loading ready couch-surfer or is there anyone looking for someone to share a hotel room with to bring the costs down?
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Postby DuelLadyS » 05 Mar 2014, 20:50

My LRRcon tickets were bought pretty much instantly, considering this one's on MY turf (something like a 30 minute drive, depending on traffic.) Mums, not considering couch surfers at this time, but possibly closer to the event. Depending on the opinions of other folks in house- not likely at the moment, though.

Tidbits for out-of-towners:
Walking from the airport is a bad idea. Yes, it's close- but our airport has an annoying curly-wurly set of roads going into it, it's likely a longer trip than you think. Take the shuttle- it'll be a nice, short trip.

This hotel has a funky layout for its convention space. I don't know how LRR will utilize it, but I'm prepared to get good and lost!

If you come up early, have access to a car, and want to go exploring, there's a fair amount of nerd-friendly fun down by the Commons Mall (formerly SeaTac Mall, mentioned in a Sir Mix-a-Lot song my brother used to listen to a lot.) There's West Coast Sports Cards and Comics (they sell Magic), Fantasium Comics (they sell magic and host FNM), Action City Comics, and Game Lobster (a wonderfully cramped lil' used game store run by a Korean couple and a Russian guy. Junky-jumbled awesomeness!) There's also a LaserQuest and 2 Korean grocers... there's Hills of Comics that just opened down the road in Auburn (more Magic, cool rare stuff- they have TMNT indies in right now)...umm... ok, I've worked in this area for years, ask me and I'll tell you what I know. Except about bars. I don' drink. I'm weird that way.
CaptainSpam

Postby CaptainSpam » 05 Mar 2014, 21:18

DuelLadyS wrote:If you come up early, have access to a car, and want to go exploring, there's a fair amount of nerd-friendly fun down by the Commons Mall (formerly SeaTac Mall, mentioned in a Sir Mix-a-Lot song my brother used to listen to a lot.) There's West Coast Sports Cards and Comics (they sell Magic), Fantasium Comics (they sell magic and host FNM), Action City Comics, and Game Lobster (a wonderfully cramped lil' used game store run by a Korean couple and a Russian guy. Junky-jumbled awesomeness!) There's also a LaserQuest and 2 Korean grocers... there's Hills of Comics that just opened down the road in Auburn (more Magic, cool rare stuff- they have TMNT indies in right now)...umm... ok, I've worked in this area for years, ask me and I'll tell you what I know. Except about bars. I don' drink. I'm weird that way.

Oh, wow, a LaserQuest. Man, it's been ages since I've been in one of those. I wonder if the game's changed at all in the past... um... 15 or so years, it's had to be.

I'm frequently and pleasantly surprised whenever I find other meet-goers like me who don't drink. Seems a rare breed these days. Of course, maybe my view is a bit skewed by meets I attend for an online game with a heavy drinking presence.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 05 Mar 2014, 22:12

I'm also in the not drinking club. Woo!

I'm pretty much settled on coming, as long as I can get my passport renewed in time. Won't be able to afford more than the two nights, unfortunately. I'm debating the merits of trying to get some sort of pin or something with my avatar printed on it for easy recognition.

Also, apparently updates are coming soon:
@Dammit_Liz wrote:Some pretty cool announcements about #LRRCON coming this week
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!

Return to “Site News”