LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
bad_motivator
First Video: Strip Search

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby bad_motivator » 25 Feb 2014, 09:47

Just wanted to chime in to say, Memo, I appreciate how generous you've been with your time and resources. Personally, my advice is that if you're not enjoying it anymore, it's time to let someone else deal with the headaches of running the server. Go back to running it how you want with the people you want. We're all here to have fun and if it's more stressful that it is fun, its not worth doing.

Obviously I'm not saying anything you don't know, but I see a lots of "here's how to make it better" suggestions and I just wanted to sound off on the side of "do what's best for you." (Not that I think there aren't other people saying that too!)
Costia
First Video: feed dump

Postby Costia » 25 Feb 2014, 10:19

I am relatively new to minecraft but I played on a few multiplayer terraria servers.
What they did is to use "Edit" permissions per zone and player. Meaning that by default a player cannot dig/edit any block. When you register and pick your base location ,the admin would mark a specific zone in the map as yours. Then you would be able to edit in that zone, but no one else could.
There could also be public zones where anyone could dig/edit , since you have to do that to get resources.
This way no one was able to (technically) mess around with the spawn area/city or build outside of his zone without the admin's permission.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Feb 2014, 10:59

cptsteiny wrote:
Perhaps one way around the Mods and commands issue is to give Mods access to all the commands, but give them a list that they are allowed to use. If they use an inappropriate command, permaban them!

I think thats very reasonable. Now you then have to trust the mods or accept the uncertainty but again as everyone is saying, you cant keep going the way you are, you cant give up control without trust.

You will never know what might happen you have to make the choice.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AlexAshman
First Video: Fear Itself

Postby AlexAshman » 25 Feb 2014, 12:06

Right, here's a contribution to making Memo's life easier.

:idea: The Helpful LRRcraft Thread

Any errors/changes/improvements from anyone, please post in the thread there. Please don't chat there, though. That can be done right here on the main thread.
Sakana
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Sakana » 25 Feb 2014, 12:34

AdmiralMemo wrote:I am annoyed to a ridiculous degree about the stadium over at -980, -460. It's not labeled. No one put it in the thread as their coordinates, that I saw. I have no idea whatsoever what's going on. I have no idea who to congratulate on the awesome job they did. I have no idea who to ask regarding whether they'd like a rail station out to their area.

That would be mine.
It is labelled. The very obvious cobblestone hut that I am using as my base during construction in the center (completely visible from the entrance) has a sign with my name on it (Though I have not changed the sign since I expanded beyond the simple cobblestone hut.) I mentioned it in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13617&start=3948
(Page 158 of this thread, Second last post on the page, posted the same day you asked us to post our locations.)
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 25 Feb 2014, 13:18

Necabo wrote:PS do pester James' for funds, he may have just forgotten about it and I think he is really enthusiastic about the server
I seem to remember him asking Memo on stream to email him a week or two ago. I hope they got in touch.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Feb 2014, 14:04

maybe there is a aspect of this I am missing but why do people keep building nether portals? Cant you just use the one at spawn?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
FITorion
First Video: One of the Check Points about a year ago

Postby FITorion » 25 Feb 2014, 14:40

Lord Hosk wrote:maybe there is a aspect of this I am missing but why do people keep building nether portals? Cant you just use the one at spawn?

The problem is getting to spawn.

Without a rail connection it take a long time and is dangerous.
With a rail connection it still takes a pretty long time. A short hop through the nether gets you back to spawn city much faster.
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 25 Feb 2014, 15:06

I don't have a portal and don't want one. A ride on the rail is fine for me.
red_mist
First Video: omni linugual

Postby red_mist » 25 Feb 2014, 17:30

Lord Hosk wrote:You have to, HAVE TO, give up a level of control. Either let people have more freedom, or ask LRR, or the people here to take the save data and port it. You keep saying you cant keep control, everyone agrees. You need to make a choice, because it is unfair to all the people who have put countless hours into projects to have then disappear because people do things you dont like.

I couldn't Agree with Lord Hosk on this more. Remember Memo, its just a game. The beauty of a Minecraft community is when we work together to create an amazing server full of awesome creations and epic builds. A mod should be somebody who keeps the peace and enforces the rules and Helps the players. You have to play devils advocate and put yourself in the shoes of the players also. The person that did something you didn't like perhaps has forgotten the rules or misunderstood them. its all perspective. Instead of punishing a player by kicking or banning or jailing, sometimes you have to just listen to their side of things. (LRR Minecraft court anyone?)

As far as controlling all aspects of all builds including the rail. Its time you enlist some people you Think you can trust, to help with those things. Put them on a probation trial or something. see if you think its working out. Being a mod is a privilege, if it doesn't work out. de-mod the person and move on. Were all here happy as players, being a mod is just an extra perk we can live with or without.

Anyway, hope to see things back in full working order soon.

And Memo, stop being so hard on yourself! You have done a fine job, you just need some Minions to make the voices go away. Deligate that sheeeeet!
Image ...just watch it!
NoTrueSpaceman
First Video: no idea, something many years ago

Postby NoTrueSpaceman » 25 Feb 2014, 20:13

Just brain storming, but would something like an software bug issue manager help organize the server? People who need something (mod intervention, yes/no on a build, whatever) could place tickets, and then the mod team could address them as needed.

Perhaps that means closing a ticket 'no, not going to do it' or it could mean deferring action until after maintenance, etc.

Just a thought! It could also help organize the smaller projects, such as transport or shared buildings, as well.
Deimir
First Video: Escapist News Network: A Few Good Gamers

Postby Deimir » 25 Feb 2014, 21:56

Been out of the loop for a few days, the master boot file on my hard drive got irretrievably corrupted Saturday morning so I had to do a fresh OS install. The good news is, since I used the opportunity to upgrade to an SSD, I didn't lose any data (the previous drive itself is still intact, it simply refuses to boot into Windows at all). The bad news is, this shot my discretionary budget I was using to save up for the server. Memo, I'm still committed with the same amount, it's just gonna be a month later than we discussed.

Looks like I missed a bit of excitement around here while performing PC triage over the weekend. Sorry to hear about the server troubles. I think I might have time to reinstall Minecraft by next weekend, so hopefully things blow over by then.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Feb 2014, 08:56

Apologies for not getting back to this thread. I mentioned about moving the server to a 64-bit machine and I've been trying to wrangle doing that the past few days. I will let you know if I make progress. If it works, many of the technical issues will be relieved, and we'll only need to work on the social issues.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

cptsteiny
First Video: CommodoreHUSTLE 01 - Laundry

Postby cptsteiny » 26 Feb 2014, 09:23

This is good to hear Memo, sounds like more memory can help us quite a bit. How much does a 16 exbibyte server cost? ;)
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 26 Feb 2014, 09:52

cptsteiny wrote:This is good to hear Memo, sounds like more memory can help us quite a bit. How much does a 16 exbibyte server cost? ;)

About 8 septuicintillion dollars probably.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 26 Feb 2014, 10:03

Excellent news Memo. Good luck with that. I hope it works! :D
FourEyedTroll
First Video: Echo

Postby FourEyedTroll » 26 Feb 2014, 10:23

AdmiralMemo wrote:If it works, many of the technical issues will be relieved, and we'll only need to work on the social issues.

Fine, I promise to wear deodorant in future...
The Old Ludensian

This Interweb is pretty nifty, eh?

Aka: Osprey or OspreyGBR, mostly in the world of PC Gaming.
MtG: Mono-Black Infect. Hand of the Praetors FTW!

LRRCraft Server Link: lrrmc.dahou.se
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Feb 2014, 11:10

Update: Things are looking up, but it'll take at least 8 hours to copy the files over. Then, I've got to reconfigure some things to get both the web server and MineCraft server working again.

Edit: MineCraft seems to run fine, if a little laggy, but I need to do a few more tests. Also, I need to reconfigure Apache.
If everything goes well tonight, I think I can put the server back up. I will leave the old server around for a while just to make sure that nothing was lost in the move.

Edit 2: Server's fine, AFAICT, but my client crashed, taking my mouse and keyboard with it, so I can't work on anything else until I reboot. I'm going to wait until the end of Cam's stream to do that, since the display's fine.

Edit 3: Client crashed again, and I don't want to worry about it at this time, because the server's in the middle of a render right now. It's white-listed to Mods only right now, but I'd like you to try to connect. If it fails completely, something's wrong. If you get kicked off due to the white-list, then it's working on the new server. :) Also, please check to see if the site and map are working, too.

Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 26 Feb 2014, 23:53

I was able to log onto the server fine, and the website works, but the render doesn't load properly.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Feb 2014, 00:05

Laser: You can stop now. I'm not going to finish it up until morning.

FIT: I'm sorry. I thought I removed the banlist, but it regenerated, apparently. Fixed.
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 27 Feb 2014, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

AlexAshman
First Video: Fear Itself

Postby AlexAshman » 27 Feb 2014, 00:06

Website and map are working :-)

Looking forward to logging on and finding out who has built a random dirt shack on the island southeast of my beach. It seems they left a cake and a sign, but I can't quite read the sign on the map view.

Edit: I'm back home now and can confirm that server is giving the whitelist only message.

Edit 2: Now the server is down again.

Edit 3: Server down, homepage working, map was derpy 10 mins ago and is now blank.
Last edited by AlexAshman on 27 Feb 2014, 08:33, edited 3 times in total.
Necabo
First Video: an lrr vid on the escapist spring 2011

Postby Necabo » 27 Feb 2014, 05:25

Site: check
Map: check, and except for some weird bits up north it has been trimmed
Server: whitelist access only is good i guess
ImageImage

Admiralmatt
First Video: The Job

Postby Admiralmatt » 27 Feb 2014, 08:04

Server: Can't connect to server.
Map: Black screen with home icon where spawn city is.
Site: working
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Feb 2014, 12:58

Yeah, server's down while I fiddle with the config again. Not sure what's going on with the map anymore. It was working, but then it stopped.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Feb 2014, 17:11

I had it up for a bit... But I somehow ended up locked out of my own server due to MineCraft bugs... :(

Return to “Video Games”