LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby SAJewers » 10 Mar 2014, 04:48

Sky_rider19 wrote:To solve the nether rail problems, what about making a obsidian roof over the railways? or does that not help much?

I can try to help.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Mar 2014, 07:09

Sky_rider19 wrote:To solve the nether rail problems, what about making a obsidian roof over the railways? or does that not help much?
Please don't do that...

Why is no one patient?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Mar 2014, 07:48

FITorion wrote:I'm fine with it... but I can tell you I'll be immediately exploring beyond 500 looking for quartz.

I know it's really hard to figure out the nether map but if the goal is to get quartz closer to where the people are then chopping at 500 doesn't really accomplish that ... unless maybe you chop there and then start working your way in...

to me chopping at 500 just means when I go beyond 500 there will be fresh ground for me to strip of quartz. So go ahead but please don't get bent out of shape when it get regenerated almost immediately. The far parts won't ... I'd try to stay close to the 500-600 region.
The problem with that is that if I'm doing the large-scale chopping like I have been for the overworld, if I do one more chop, that deletes the region spawn and a whole bunch of other stuff is in. If I'm going to do small-scale chopping, that requires taking the server down for a while, so I can go into MCEdit, which requires getting to my home PC, which requires my parents to not be using the TV that I was using as my screen. So, if you want me to small-scale chop, expect the server to be down for some time. If you want me to large-scale chop, 500 is the closest I can get without deleting 90% of the Nether creations that have been made.

Yes, this is mainly to get the map under control and not have large dangly bits like the southeast mess, but it's also to get quartz closer. I won't mind the expansion after the chop, as long as you're not making another long corridor like the SE bit again.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Mar 2014, 08:04

Matt: Your request has been rejected because I already have plans of turning the pentagon (not pentagram :P) above you into a train station, which will have access to the Acropolis. After I get the function set up, you can work on the architecture, though.

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 10 Mar 2014, 08:28

I will try my sea pyramid sometime.

Perhaps I will build Neo-Holland.
Necabo
First Video: an lrr vid on the escapist spring 2011

Postby Necabo » 10 Mar 2014, 09:10

AdmiralMemo wrote:
Please don't do that...

Why is no one patient?

because not everybody lives your schedule. Like you said you are busy with a lot of stuff, so when living in Europe that means that your daytime is middle of the night here and a half a day delay in stuff you want to do may translate in way more than that for other users who are not within the same timezones.

PS no-one said about doing anything, just suggestions
ImageImage

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Mar 2014, 10:24

Oh boy... Half a day delay... That's a LONG time... [/sarcasm]
How about the months of delay that I've had regarding other projects? How about the fact that I haven't been back to work on my player base in over 6 months?

You play with me, you're playing the long game. A week or so is insignificant.

FITorion
First Video: One of the Check Points about a year ago

Postby FITorion » 10 Mar 2014, 12:04

yeah... memo I've been meaning to tell you this...

waiting a week is being patient... asking someone to wait a month or more is verging on unreasonable. And when someone has been waiting more than a month and they just do it themselves ... getting mad at them and calling them impatient is just crazy.

Waiting months isn't patience... it's sitting around not playing the game. You can't do everything. You have to learn to let others do what you can't do in a reasonable time. And you need to stop taking things down which people use to get around while waiting for you to build something for them to use to get around. Have your rails... leave the rest up to us and accept that there will be style differences and things might not be done correctly the first time or ever conform to your view of correct. If you don't do this you will constantly be at war with the players and not be able to play on your own projects. You have been violating your own server rules... namely Wheaton's law. In order to stop you need to learn to live and let live. Or you can continue driving yourself mad. You are taking on too much yourself and creating work for yourself that you need not do. IT really isn't the players causing more work for you... it's you having an overly large definition of what requires your attention. You need to reduce that definition to only what you can handle comfortably and learn to say "No I'm not doing that" to the rest. Let others do those things.
DewKnight
First Video: Stalking

Postby DewKnight » 10 Mar 2014, 12:21

Got out of the hospital Friday. Just now reading through some of the posts. Had a couple of thoughts that I wanted to note down before I forgot.

Rules: Definitely better with fewer rules. My old server had all kind of rules, but we really narrowed it down. The current owners cut them even further. These are their rules: http://dewcraft.com/rules

Conoros regarding getting to spawn from my place. You can follow the line of torches leading away from the tower in progress to eventually find a dock, then sail to muihtil's lighthouse and get to spawn.

Players being close to each other: Honestly this is kind of better than everybody all expanded out. The less chunks loaded the better. Of course it can get to a number where a huge number of people in the same chunk would cause issues. Now of course large projects need room.

World borders and such: If we ever move to bukkit, there are a couple of border limiting mods. Some even chop off the excess for you if you want. This could even just be done once and then bukkit turned off so you don't have to spend too much time in mcedit.

One things we did on one of our maps was have an auto teleport to a generally fresh area where people could build. As it got used up, we would switch the teleport. Perhaps something could be done like that as well. Could also use the rail system, or just put them near a rail station (but far enough away that multiple people can build).

I think it would be really helpful to st up the smallest forum on the lrrcraft site with only three things:
  • Build requests (player X wants to build Y over at Z. Is this okay>)
  • Support requests (I think somebody broke into my house. It's at these coordinates)
  • Rules and announcements.

I had to chuckle a bit when I saw somebody mention $1-$2 per player for the server per month. Most servers don't see anywhere close to that. Even the big servers struggle with fundraising.

Hmm, perhaps we should do some sort of fundraising project (with LRR's approval) on this forum to try to get some operating costs and even get somebody to assist with optimizing the server.

Well I'm going back to being sick again. I probably won't be on the server for another couple of weeks. Looks like this first round didn't kill me, but it very nearly did. I won't be doing a second round.
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 10 Mar 2014, 13:18

Nima55 wrote:Anyone would be interested in helping build a vast underground city Akin to Blackreach in Skyrim, or the various Dwarven cities in Middle Earth

I'm actually kinda working on that in my area. I've got huge areas of caves, an abandoned mineshaft, and possibly a ravine in my zone, and once I'm done putting the little hobbit homes and farms above (I need some cows and horses, damnnit!) I'm going to start tunneling out the areas below, and creating large spaces for perhaps another foundry, etc.

Trisha Lynn
...cattleprodlynn is my server name...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
DewKnight

Postby DewKnight » 10 Mar 2014, 13:29

Also, I've used nfoservers.com for voice servers before. A 15 slot server running mumble would be around $22 / year, and teamspeak would be around $37 / year.

They also do minecraft servers. These servers are specifically tailored for minecraft. It might be worth it to run a copy of the server there for a month and see how the performance goes. Though that would mean giving up some of the other things, and I don't know if they give you access to install things like the map.

Edit: fixed numbers
Last edited by DewKnight on 10 Mar 2014, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 10 Mar 2014, 14:18

$22 a month for a 15 slot mumble? My TF2 Team only pays $1.50 a month for a 15 slot mumble. $22 seems kinda high.
DewKnight

Postby DewKnight » 10 Mar 2014, 14:46

Do they rent any gameservers as well? Most places bundle stuff. If you rent a gameserver from nfo you can get a free 15 slot.

And those prices were yearly, not monthly. Mixed that up.
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 10 Mar 2014, 16:29

OK, $22 a year sounds more reasonable. Also yes. It's https://www.tragicservers.com/ if you want to look.
Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby Sky_rider19 » 10 Mar 2014, 17:55

AdmiralMemo wrote:
Please don't do that...

Why is no one patient?

Nononono I wasn't being impatient at all I was just saying offhandedly. I should have kept my mouth shut like I always do...Just disregard me...
AlexAshman
First Video: Fear Itself

Postby AlexAshman » 10 Mar 2014, 22:22

I wouldn't want anyone spoiling the nether with a roof or anything. However, every single time I try to survey the rails I get instakilled by something. The newest trick is the lava pouring onto the tracks, which I'm assuming isn't meant to be there. I'm trying my best to map the nether rail fully (as there's clearly bits I don't know about) but it's so dangerous that I'm having serious issues!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Mar 2014, 22:23

I'll get to these replies when I get time, but for now...

New rule, or at least clarification to old rule: Don't pour lava all over someone's Nether Portal.

eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 11 Mar 2014, 01:04

Info you may need to know (but probably not): I've dug a set of underground tunnels so that I can get from my house to Minion's Tower and Mine Smeghead's Oriental Castle Station more easily, and so that people who wish to come visit me can do so easily as well. I've imaginatively titled these tunnels "Rogue's Passage", as my Minecraft name is Rogue_Magic, so if you see them or the signs I've put up for them, that's what it means.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Mar 2014, 01:34

eostby: I'm planning to completely revamp the travel system in the area, so I'll take your base into account. That area is old and was made during completely different considerations more than a year ago.

Everyone: More funding from some players has taken us to March 7, 2015, if current server specs stay the same. Thank you for your generosity! :)

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Mar 2014, 03:58

Yay for generosity! (waiting on a tax refund)
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 11 Mar 2014, 04:41

AdmiralMemo wrote:New rule, or at least clarification to old rule: Don't pour lava all over someone's Nether Portal.
It's depressing that that clarification is required...
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Tuckiozi
First Video: Unskippable/CommodoreHustle

Postby Tuckiozi » 11 Mar 2014, 06:39

Nima55 wrote:Anyone would be interested in helping build a vast underground city Akin to Blackreach in Skyrim, or the various Dwarven cities in Middle Earth

I am also 100% up for this.
DewKnight

Postby DewKnight » 11 Mar 2014, 07:05

Some community projects would be nice so everyone can really meet all the new people.

We would need a couple of people to manage and plan them, probably mods.
Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby Sky_rider19 » 11 Mar 2014, 07:30

I would love to help with the excavation of the area, but seeing as I don't know how the buildings look, I can't help with the building portion.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Mar 2014, 07:42

Well, Community Storage has been razed... And will be rebuilt in a new and better form, with better sorting, more room, etc.

There are chests on the side of where it was that are holding all the contents temporarily.

Also, in the interests of transparency, here's the document for the Mods: http://bit.ly/LRRCraftModCommunication
Anyone can view it, but only Mods and Admins can edit it. If anyone sees a Mod acting out of line (which I hope never happens), please report it immediately.

Return to “Video Games”