Friday Nights: Darkness

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
Graham
Super Moderator

Friday Nights: Darkness

Postby Graham » 18 Mar 2014, 13:10

When the LoadingReadyRun crew sits down to draft, tragedy strikes! ...and then the power goes out. What does LRR do to get through such a difficult time? A different kind of draft.
Rubberbandninja
First Video: Crime and Punishment. I think.

Re: Friday Nights: Darkness

Postby Rubberbandninja » 18 Mar 2014, 13:59

It's... Calvinball house rules? Sounds like fun to me.
"A chicken in every house. A cat in every house. A chicken in every cat!"
- Kathleen DeVere, future Princess of Romania
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 18 Mar 2014, 16:41

The stinger was the best part, but this whole episode was really fun.
KyrieEleison
First Video: Desert Bus 5

Postby KyrieEleison » 18 Mar 2014, 16:59

ElFuzzy wrote:The stinger was the best part, but this whole episode was really fun.

I'm still laughing at Cam's little "Yeah!"
It's not epic unless it's dactylic hexameter.

landofanalie.wordpress.com
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 18 Mar 2014, 17:36

I really enjoyed this episode. It was fun and silly and everything I could have wanted from Friday Nights.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 18 Mar 2014, 18:05

KyrieEleison wrote:
ElFuzzy wrote:The stinger was the best part, but this whole episode was really fun.

I'm still laughing at Cam's little "Yeah!"

It was the head toss that broke me.
asteriskreaper
First Video: friday night - untap

Postby asteriskreaper » 19 Mar 2014, 05:57

not nearly as good as other episodes (honestly i don't know why, maybe i'll watch it again and find it hilarious) but still a good episode, was that actual rain or did you guys garden hose it?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." -the Laughing Man
"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey... you should see me in a crown... "-James Moriarty(Sherlock)
KyrieEleison
First Video: Desert Bus 5

Postby KyrieEleison » 19 Mar 2014, 08:01

It looked digital to me, like an effect you could put in over the footage.
It's not epic unless it's dactylic hexameter.

landofanalie.wordpress.com
Aydin225
First Video: arms race

Postby Aydin225 » 19 Mar 2014, 09:51

I loved this one. Less laugh out loud hilarious, but I just really enjoyed watching it. Love Friday Nights so freaking much
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 19 Mar 2014, 10:11

Kathleen's reaction was brilliant. Really genuine, but also really well delivered.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
The Architect
First Video: Unskippable

Postby The Architect » 19 Mar 2014, 20:48

Did you just invent Pauper Momir?
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 20 Mar 2014, 07:26

The Architect wrote:Did you just invent Pauper Momir?

With the insert cards it's more like a cross between Momir and Planechase.
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 20 Mar 2014, 07:43

I thought this one was great. I haven't liked Friday Nights as much recently because, in my opinion, it's slowly transitioned from "A bunch of friends get together to play Magic" to "An alternate universe where Magic and Magic-related things are the only form of entertainment." But this? This is a bunch of friends getting together to play Magic. It feels natural; what both yourselves and other Magic playgroups would do in this scenario, with a slight bit of silliness you expect from LRR without going over the top.

Well done.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 21 Mar 2014, 10:05

Since this had a lot more flashback clips, the only thing that could have improved it would have been if we you went Clerks the Animated Series and did it as Episode 2 Clipshow
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 21 Mar 2014, 23:57

So Tonight was the first night I randomly had someone reference an episode of Friday Nights, at FNM. I know you guys are really popular and your videos reach a wide audience now, but it was kind of the first time it was apparent. lol. I've never had the chance to talk about LRR, because for the longest time I was the only person that watched it.
So that was fun.
^( " )^
winner!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 22 Mar 2014, 11:34

RytelCSF wrote:I thought this one was great. I haven't liked Friday Nights as much recently because, in my opinion, it's slowly transitioned from "A bunch of friends get together to play Magic" to "An alternate universe where Magic and Magic-related things are the only form of entertainment." But this? This is a bunch of friends getting together to play Magic. It feels natural; what both yourselves and other Magic playgroups would do in this scenario, with a slight bit of silliness you expect from LRR without going over the top.

Well done.
Thanks!

Though, we do love the idea that literally everyone in "the Friday Nights world" plays Magic. Like... everyone.
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Postby headband » 22 Mar 2014, 19:52

Is it weird I really want to play this format some time? Gives me use for those tokens I have that don't match any token generators I play in my decks. (Plus for my plans of commissioning some custom tokens)
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 23 Mar 2014, 02:51

I couldn't help laughing when when Alex did that "combat trick" scene when attacking with the goat. I have even faced a guy at last FNM who did the same thing. It turned out there are quite a few players in my local store who watch Friday Nights.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 23 Mar 2014, 15:52

Graham wrote:
RytelCSF wrote:I thought this one was great. I haven't liked Friday Nights as much recently because, in my opinion, it's slowly transitioned from "A bunch of friends get together to play Magic" to "An alternate universe where Magic and Magic-related things are the only form of entertainment." But this? This is a bunch of friends getting together to play Magic. It feels natural; what both yourselves and other Magic playgroups would do in this scenario, with a slight bit of silliness you expect from LRR without going over the top.

Well done.
Thanks!

Though, we do love the idea that literally everyone in "the Friday Nights world" plays Magic. Like... everyone.
I challenge you to a children's card game!

That makes me think of a yugioh parody idea. Wizards might not love that as an episode though.
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Postby headband » 27 Mar 2014, 08:58

So, what are the rulings for which rules apply for each set?
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 29 Mar 2014, 02:18

Graham wrote:Though, we do love the idea that literally everyone in "the Friday Nights world" plays Magic. Like... everyone.

I kind of like the idea that there's one poor schmuck who doesn't and doesn't get why it's such a big deal now.

Also, man. Now I want a Barack Obama cameo.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Apr 2014, 09:59

Question: While clearly filmed at the same time, is the Walking the Planes, Episode 21 outro in Friday Nights' canon?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 23 Apr 2014, 20:33

uhhh, sure

yeah, why not?
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 24 Apr 2014, 07:40

JackSlack wrote:
Graham wrote:Though, we do love the idea that literally everyone in "the Friday Nights world" plays Magic. Like... everyone.

I kind of like the idea that there's one poor schmuck who doesn't and doesn't get why it's such a big deal now.

And now we have a role for Beej.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 24 Apr 2014, 11:17

MowDownJoe wrote:
JackSlack wrote:

And now we have a role for Beej.

That's actually a good idea, and it would be getting back to the show's origins with "Untap." Keep in mind that for a universe where "everyone plays Magic" the show started with Paul not know how to play and learning over the course of FOUR episodes. It was a great narrative, one I still miss. I was always surprised how Paul went from the essential focus of the show as a learning player to such a background "average player" character starting in the second season. I had hoped to see him learn other formats and things about the game, but I guess he did in between season 1 and 2.

Beej coming in as a new player could be fun, and I still, still, still loved Tally's one appearance in "Guild Fight!" as a RETURNING player from 10 years or so ago, which is, let's be honest, like 85% of the player base (or at least it feels this way).

I think that that the "everyone in the universe plays and is obsessed with" Magic is something that IS funny when done in moderation. It runs a danger of putting you somewhere between cartoon fantasy world and product ad, two worlds that you don't really want to inhabit...at least not in permanence.

It helps to have the show feel realistic and relatable, but then the comedy of a sudden joke like the barista at the coffee shop suddenly chastising Paul for his unfun attitude towards infinite combos is laugh out loud funny because it is unexpected. I laughed so hard at that because it was unexpected, but by the time Graham is arguing with strangers at the gym over Magic cards, the joke can become less of a surprise and therefor diminished.

Just some thoughts. Oh, and Darkness was a top, TOP episode. It didn't hurt that Graham thought of doing something OTHER THAN play Magic (watch a movie). Things like that...help.

Return to “MtG”