TTC - James' Cube

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - James' Cube

Postby Graham » 22 Mar 2014, 10:13

The crew looks at your card designs and James talk about his new cube.
Greydir
First Video: How to talk like a Pirate

Re: TTC - James' Cube

Postby Greydir » 22 Mar 2014, 10:43

I am sure everything is fine but sooo private ...
"Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds!" - Robert Oppenheimer quoting the Bhagavad Gita
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 22 Mar 2014, 10:54

It seems that James' Cube has gone AWOL.
Draygarth
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Draygarth » 22 Mar 2014, 10:59

Yeah, i can't wait for it to be public. I love Tap Tap Concede.
Greydir

Postby Greydir » 22 Mar 2014, 11:12

Its there - it is a thing *jump*
"Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds!" - Robert Oppenheimer quoting the Bhagavad Gita
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 22 Mar 2014, 11:25

FIXED
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Postby susu.exp » 22 Mar 2014, 12:37

I'm stoked my card got that much airtime *g*.

To decode the card for those not familiar with Netrunner, the rules text starts with the Click symbol, indicating that the corp can use this as a click (if there aren't any card effects that means they could opt to do this up to 3 times on their turn).
The top left is the rez cost - most corp cards are played faced down and later rezzed - you pay for them at that point.
Bottom right is the trash cost. When the runner accesses the card, they can pay that many creds to trash the card.
Meat damage is a legit game term, as are trace0 and bad publicity. Even the subtype "Advertisement" has appeared on quite a few cards.
The yellow color and the symbol in the lower left show that it's a faction card for NBN and the 4 blue dots next to it show how much influence other corps have to spend to play it (lots).

Basically what the card does is give the corp two abilities that so far only have appeared on agendas: Clicking to trace for a tag and dealing meat damage. When the runner takes any type of damage they have to discard at random, if they can't the corp wins the game. Brain damage additionally reduces the runners hand size, net and meat damage just differ in what effects can prevent damage.
Tags allow the corp to do bad things to the runner via card effects and also to trash the runners resources.
That's offset by the weak trace, the bad publicity, the high rez cost and the comparatively low trash cost, rendering the card pretty much unplayable.
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Postby Omnicrat » 22 Mar 2014, 13:27

Talking about your pauper cube, a thought just occurred to me. Why can't you just write the rules of cards on cue cards or something and play with those? I mean, you don't get the pretty art, and it would be time consuming, but it would be cheep and you could have the power 9 if you want.
Greydir

Postby Greydir » 22 Mar 2014, 14:17

Well you could...
Its called making proxies, a standard procedure for lets say decktesting. But its not legal, because magic cards are copyrighted by WotC, so from a legal standpoint you are simply not allowed to, except having been granted permission to make a proxy, like it was the case in some lrr videos i think.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 23 Mar 2014, 10:29

There really isn't anything wrong with making proxies in of itself unless you attempt to use them in a competitive setting or, even worse, sell them as if they were real (which naturally is just illegal regardless of whether we're talking about Magic or not). Not just with decktesting, plenty of people I know do it just so they can play with the cards right at this moment without having to scavenge for funds just to pay for some cards. I have no way to afford the Zendikar fetchlands right now, but that's not going to stop me from proxying up a Modern deck to carry around in case someone wants to play a casual game.

My friends are building a Ravnica cube that uses cards from both Ravnica blocks, and almost a third of it uses proxies. None of us have any issues with using proxies, so they're sticking around for a while. Even so, there's a grand appeal to having the actual cards available to play with instead of a piece of paper printed out and covering some random other card, so that'll happen eventually for sure. Foiling out the cube probably won't be a thing for us though, besides the few that are already foil because someone had one on hand to donate.
R1CK_D0M
First Video: friday nights - untap

Postby R1CK_D0M » 23 Mar 2014, 14:08

a bit late, so I thought I'd post my roll up the rim card here?

3R - Roll Up the Rim

sorcery

Choose a card type (creature, enchantment, artifact, land, etc.), then reveal the top card of your deck. If the revealed card type is the same as the card type you chose, you may play that card without paying its mana cost.

Then, choose 1: Cascade X, Scry X, or Clash with target opponent, if you win, gain 3 life.

X is the revealed card's CMC.
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 24 Mar 2014, 13:46

R1CK_D0M wrote:a bit late, so I thought I'd post my roll up the rim card here?

3R - Roll Up the Rim

sorcery

Choose a card type (creature, enchantment, artifact, land, etc.), then reveal the top card of your deck. If the revealed card type is the same as the card type you chose, you may play that card without paying its mana cost.

Then, choose 1: Cascade X, Scry X, or Clash with target opponent, if you win, gain 3 life.

Do you want to require a shuffle first, so that the player can't just "cheat" by scrying before playing it?
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
R1CK_D0M
First Video: friday nights - untap

Postby R1CK_D0M » 25 Mar 2014, 04:02

UNHchabo wrote:
R1CK_D0M wrote:a bit late, so I thought I'd post my roll up the rim card here?

3R - Roll Up the Rim

sorcery

Do you want to require a shuffle first, so that the player can't just "cheat" by scrying before playing it?

That's a good idea. I was thinking it wouldn't need one bc the person ostensibly would play the card,but yeah definitely should shuffle before the second half of the card.
notaballoon
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby notaballoon » 25 Mar 2014, 06:36

Guys, you know Wheel of Fortune is a card, right?

Return to “TapTapConcede”