Magic: The Gathering Online

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Magic: The Gathering Online

Postby The Jester » 30 Mar 2014, 09:42

I apologise if there's already a thread for this, but I couldn't find it with a bit of searching. If there is I'll happily delete this one/see it abandoned.

I just downloaded M:tGO and I don't have anybody in my friends list (besides Graham, James and Jer, since I assumed it's ok for me to add them).

I'd like to play a variety of different game types since I'm still very new to Magic and don't know what I like.

I'll happily share my username with anyone who wants to add me (or if you can guess it then it's fine for you to add me in that case, too). For teh Magics!
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Re: Magic: The Gathering Online

Postby Myrph » 30 Mar 2014, 17:01

I think I'm Myrph on MTGO, but to be honest, I can't remember what my password is, and I've still not managed to figure out how to get Wizard's bizarre password reset form to actually reset my password...
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 30 Mar 2014, 20:22

I'm Duckay on MTGO, and I use it exclusively to play limited.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 31 Mar 2014, 01:20

Shalok on MTGO, I play mostly EDH and a bit of limited
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 31 Mar 2014, 09:13

Cool, thanks guys. I'll add you.

Please forgive my noobishness, but where can I read more about the different game types?
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 31 Mar 2014, 13:51

So I've thought about playing MTGO several times but I'm already hemorrhaging money into paper magic. What can you do by spending little to no money on it?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 31 Mar 2014, 14:30

AdmiralMemo

Same as just about everywhere else.

Fuzzy: If you invest $10 (I think), you can get the Momir deck which is fun.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 31 Mar 2014, 16:17

It ends up being a little cheaper than paper magic, especially if you can win a few drafts and/or pull a money card or two. I have been able to play effectively for free for a month on the winnings from a hot streak of three drafts where I cleaned up and also got a foil Elspeth. That's dumb luck, of course, but even then I can usually get one out of three drafts for free just playing swiss.

Then the Cube comes around and I thrown money at the screen like nobody's business, but that's just my problem.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 31 Mar 2014, 17:19

So far as I can tell, I have no luck with drafts in any form. I've never won more than 1 round of a draft. And I've never made it past 2/3 in hearthstone.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 31 Mar 2014, 17:56

For paper magic, at least where I am, I have no way to parley packs I might have won into more drafts, so every draft costs the full price every time. Online, if I play a swiss, and go 2-1, I'm only down the price of 1 pack, and 2 tix to enter. It is, as they say, a slow bleed.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 31 Mar 2014, 18:30

I have more collector blood in me so the idea of playing MTGO feels weird; I much rather would like to have the physical cards in my hands during all stages of an event (playing with them, taking them home, etc). My LGS allowing credit in the place of packs for prizes also lends to the possibility of "going infinite" if I can actually win for once. The prices for paper magic compared to MTGO also help with that, especially when the event cost for paper and digital are rather close.

That being said, I will totally jump on for a phantom sealed event in order to prepare my skills for an upcoming IRL competition like when a GP was coming around. Otherwise I just have a Momir deck sitting around for casual playing. Add me (Phosphatide) if you want, but I'm rarely online.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 01 Apr 2014, 00:17

ElFuzzy wrote:So I've thought about playing MTGO several times but I'm already hemorrhaging money into paper magic. What can you do by spending little to no money on it?

Commander, its what I do, you can build a very good deck online for $20, it won't be tier 1 combo bullshit but it will be good enough to win on a reasonable number of times. Sure there will be times when you see people who have spent an unreasonable amount on some of their deck but the best thing is you can just pick yourself up and play another game, sure you don't win anything but you sure as hell don't lose anything apart from your initial investment
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 01 Apr 2014, 11:42

Pretty sure I'm just Kapol on MTGO.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 01 Apr 2014, 12:53

Is it possible to challenge another player to duels with... constructed decks, I guess? I'd quite like the practice (having only played one game ever so far) but I don't feel like buying any new cards yet.
guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 01 Apr 2014, 20:22

I made an MTGO account a while ago, but I completely forgot the password, and I can't seem to reset it as the site just gives me an error after I try set a new password. But if I do get it figured out at some point, my username is Vigilantic apparently.
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
jkefka

Postby jkefka » 02 Apr 2014, 04:26

The Jester wrote:Is it possible to challenge another player to duels with... constructed decks, I guess? I'd quite like the practice (having only played one game ever so far) but I don't feel like buying any new cards yet.

Unless things have changed they should have given you a bunch of gold-bordered cards when you signed up. You can use these to build a constructed deck and play games of "planeswalker" in the "just starting out" lobby. That's all free. However, it's a very limited pool of cards and because you can buy an additional nearly limitless supply of the gold-bordered bastards for like $5, if you are just working with the default set you're going to run into a number of decks that are substantially more powerful than yours. Or you can shell out $5 for that.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Apr 2014, 10:16

Lord_Hosk or LordHosk I dont remember

If I discount the play games study I did, I think i have put about $100 into MTGO and played maybe 30 limited events. I play a lot of phantom events because they are cheaper.

Also you can play MTGO completely for free. On the lower right of the launch program below the log in there is a "free trial" where you can play any of I think a dozen preconstructed decks against other people playing those same decks.

The big advantage of MTGO is that everything is cheaper because of volume. A draft costs 15 tickets OR 3 packs and 2 tickets and typically you can buy packs for 2.5-4 tickets right now I think Theros packs are about 2.5 and born of the gods are about 3.75 so a draft costs you less than $11. The down side is that everything is cheaper ebcause of volume. After prerelease cards typically lose a lot of value quickly. $5 rares in paper are typically .5-1 ticket on mtgo. A perfect example is the temples in paper are 4.99-7.50 on CardKingdom, and on MTGO run .5-1.5 tickets.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 08 Apr 2014, 17:26

Strangely, Herald of Torment is about $2 in paper, and something like 4-5 tix online.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 09 Apr 2014, 05:33

jkefka wrote:
The Jester wrote:Is it possible to challenge another player to duels with... constructed decks, I guess? I'd quite like the practice (having only played one game ever so far) but I don't feel like buying any new cards yet.

Unless things have changed they should have given you a bunch of gold-bordered cards when you signed up. You can use these to build a constructed deck and play games of "planeswalker" in the "just starting out" lobby. That's all free. However, it's a very limited pool of cards and because you can buy an additional nearly limitless supply of the gold-bordered bastards for like $5, if you are just working with the default set you're going to run into a number of decks that are substantially more powerful than yours. Or you can shell out $5 for that.

What's the "near limitless supply of the gold-bordered bastards" called in the store, do you know? I could def go for that for $5.
Wooglie
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Wooglie » 09 Apr 2014, 06:11

My MTGO username is Wooglie. I mainly play limited, but I have one commander deck and the momir deck.
jkefka

Postby jkefka » 09 Apr 2014, 12:01

The Jester wrote:
jkefka wrote:

What's the "near limitless supply of the gold-bordered bastards" called in the store, do you know? I could def go for that for $5.

Under "special sets" in the beta client store it's all the "Planswalker deck packs" of which there are several. Each one has several hundred cards. Some years' "deck pack expansion" has over 700.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Apr 2014, 13:33

you no longer get the gold cards, current starter pack is a assortment of m14 and theros cards. 5 tix 20 new player tix

1 ticket plus 2 new player tickets gets you int a new player phantom draft or phantom sealed.

if you search free in the clasifieds you will find;
MTGOtradersFreebot which gives you 64 cards per month.
freecardbot which gives you 64 cards once
MTGOacadamyquizbot which gives you 4 cards once a week for answering a simple mtg trivia like "what color mana does a island produce" or "what is the most expensive card on MTGO"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 15 Apr 2014, 10:34

Just started playing today. I go as Reozul.

Though I have to vent slightly.
It kinda takes the fun out of learning things if you repeatedly get pummeled by decks containing nothing but awesome rares in games that are made in the "Just starting out" section.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Apr 2014, 10:56

Yeah, the absolute killer decks being in the "Just starting out" and "Just for fun" areas really bugs me, too.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 16 Apr 2014, 16:51

"Hey, lemme go playtest my nuts deck against a brand new player."
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”